When in Asia

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Mechamaniac

Mechamaniac

Kickin' Basara's Ass

• 6,794 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:08 AM

OK, here's the deal folks. I'm killing the "Hong Kong Toy Shops" and "Yahoo Japan sellers who will ship internationally" threads. Their bodies will be chopped up and sewn into this new thread which will encompass both topics. There is alot of good info in those threads which deserves a place in MW, but the threads themselves don't get much traffic or posting.

That being said, this new thread will be *Pinned and Locked* so there will be no posting in it. If there is a store or seller that you would like to add to the list, just PM me, and I will take care of it. Likewise, if a store goes out of business, or their contact info or address changes, PM me and I will see to it.

So, without further adieu..

Hong Kong Toy Shops

Words from Graham...
I get at least one PM a month from members asking where to buy Japanese toys in Hong Kong. Plus members frequently start threads asking this question. For this reason. I thought it best to create a pinned thread.

Below is a list of some of the best known places in Hong Kong for purchasing Macross toys and other Japanese toys. This list is not all inclusive and there are many other interesting out of the way store to be found. Other Hong Kong based members, such as Neova and Valk009, please feel free to post additional information.

1. Sino Centre which is at 582-592 Nathan Road in Mong Kok district. This centre is a great place for Japanese toys, magazines, CD's and bootleg anime DVDs. There are two small shops selling Japanese toys on the ground floor and a couple more in the basement level including a branch of Animate and aslo a couple of small garage kit shops. The 1st to 4th floors mostly sell VCDs/DVDs. To get to Sino Centre, take the MTR (subway) to Mong Kok station and take exit 'E' which puts you about two minutes walk away along Nathan Road.

2 Just around the corner from Sino Centre is another must-visit mall called CTMA centre. this is situated near the end of Sai Yeung Choi Street South. make sure to visit all the upper floors as well as the basement as there are about six or more shops selling Japanese toys including Superman Toys and Ant Shop. Note, many of the shops especially the ones in the basement do not open until early evening.

3 There is also another branch of Animate (selling toys/ books/magazines/some garage kits) on Nelson street in Mong Kok. Sorry, I can't remember the shop number, but Nelson street is not that long anyway (nearest MTR exit: D).

4. Also, make sure to check up the basement and 1st to 3rd floors of the 111 Richmond Center in Argyle Street also in Mong Kong (next to a McDonalds). Lots of cool toys and hobby shops there with a great selection of toys, gashapon and resin kits to be found, but most shops don't open until around 4pm or 6pm.

5. Your next stop should be the Cauesway Bay district of HK Island. Take the MTR (subway) to Causeway Bay station to get there (take the MTR Victoria Park exit). First stop should be the Causeway Bay Centre located on Sugar Street. Again make sure to check out all the floors especially the basement as there are lots of cool toy and model shops to be found. Like most hobby shops, they don't open til late afternoon though. Also on Sugar Street, there is a place called Toy Mart, which is like a huge warehouse selling old toys. It's on the 16th Floor of an office building, but they have a sign on the street in front of the building and Sugar street is a short street, so it's not difficult to find. Great for older Japanese & US toys and models.

6.Next up should be the Oriental 188 Centre on Wanchai Road in Wanchai distict also on HK Island. Lots of great toy and hobby shops.

7. There is also one shop in Tai Koo Shing (Hong Kong island, same MTR station name). The shop is located on the 2nd floor opposite the JUSCO department store building (there is a flyover from JUSCO leading to the toy store). The store stocks a lot of Gundam related stuff, gashapons and does have quite a good selection of garage kits (mainly older ones though).

8. Another place worth visiting is perhaps a shopping centre in Kwai Fong (Kowloon side, same MTR name). There is a shopping centre right next to the station with 4 floors and has a handful of toy and game shops!

9. Lots of shop in Mongkok around Dundas Street between Nathan Road & Waterloo Road. Toys/hobby shop, Airsoft gun shop, RC hobby shop. There are so many of them in that area, just look around.

- 2 great model shops along Sai Yee Street North of Argyle Street (Richmond Center), also in Mongkok.

- There is a really awesome warehouse-esque shop on the 14th floor of Sino Centre, see Graham's first post for how to get there.

-2 shops @ Pilkem Street (and Parkes Street) & Austin Road. It's on the North side of Kowloon Park. Quickest way to get there is Nathan MTR stop exit "C2"

- As for models, you should check out Universal Models for their extensive lineup. Many shops in HK, see website http://www.universal-models.com/

10. Shum Shui Po. It has many small hole in the wall places filled with hidden goodies. Comics, toys, other more ahem... adult toys too. tongue.gif Happy hunting.

11. Games Workshop/Citadel Paints - in Wan Chai. Its on QUEENS' ROAD.

Exit A2 I think, go through the alley across from the MTR station, head towards Queens's Road and its near the Italian Restaurant there. Go past that and look UP, its on the 2nd floor.

Final words from Graham...
The chainstores with multiple branches such as Animate and UML will open around lunchtime. IIRC, Animate opens at 1pm, UML a bit earlier.

Generally speaking, the smaller hobby shops will open either late afternoon or early evening whether they are in Mong Kok, Causeway Bay or elsewhere. Of couse, this is not a hard and fast rule and some of the smaller shops do open earlier at around lunchtime, you just have to find which ones by trial and error.

Japan - Including Yahoo Sellers who will ship internationally

Words from Shawn...
Was thinking it would be a helpful thing to be able to put any Yahoo Japan sellers you run across that will ship internationally (a pretty rare thing!)

1. Your best bet here is probably Rinkya. The process can be a bit daunting, and confusing, but I have shopped there and everything went smoothly despite the lags in communication etc due to involving a third party.

2. http://openuser5.auc...s...=0jp&mode=1

3. Here is the Macross search(keep hitting next 20 on the bottom right are of the pages)
http://search.auctio...?...e=1&thumb=1

4. Here's another one, and they accept paypal and speak english (something even rarer). I'd have even more except I went throught the favorites and deleted them a month or so ago.
http://openuser5.auc...amp;alocale=0jp

5. Here are some searches too...
Macross Models
Macross Toys
Valkyrie Search
Takatoku Search

6. Another one...
http://openuser4.auc...s...=0jp&mode=1

7. Here's another one. They even accept paypal.
http://openuser9.auc...s...=0jp&mode=1

8. Same for this guy. He's got a ton of cels from various Macross stuff and like every Gundam, along with Cyborg 009 (among others)
http://openuser3.auc.......0jp&mode=1

#2 baltek

baltek

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:01 AM

Hi
I'm planning a trip to Japan for a few days.
Any physical shop where I can find Macross Toys?

Thanks in advance

#3 sketchley

sketchley

Smarter than Brainy Smurf

• Members
  • 5,964 posts
  • Interests:monkey bacon. Monkey Bacon! MONKEY BACON!

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:21 AM

Try Mandarake in Shinsaibashi/Honmachi, Osaka. They had lots, and lots of Yamato toys (all used, some at really, really cheap prices) the last time I went (during which I picked up the Gold Book, finally! Man, that thing weighs a ton).

#4 optimator88

optimator88

Sharon Apple Concert Attendee

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Macross

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (sketchley @ Feb 11 2009, 04:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try Mandarake in Shinsaibashi/Honmachi, Osaka. They had lots, and lots of Yamato toys (all used, some at really, really cheap prices) the last time I went (during which I picked up the Gold Book, finally! Man, that thing weighs a ton).

I'm going to be heading through Osaka next month. I haven't been there in almost 10 years though.
Where is this Mandarake shop? Do you know the japanese site for it?
I would love to get some used yamato stuff when I'm there.

#5 sketchley

sketchley

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (optimator88 @ Apr 8 2009, 05:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to be heading through Osaka next month. I haven't been there in almost 10 years though.

All the store locations: http://www.mandarake.co.jp/shop/

There are two in Osaka:

Umeda area: http://www.mandarake.../index_osk.html
うめだ店
営業時間:12:00~20:00
〒530-0027
大阪府大阪市北区堂山町9-28
TEL:06-6363-7777

Namba/Shinsaibashi area: http://www.mandarake.../index_gcs.html
グランドカオス
〒542-0086
大阪府大阪市中央区西心斎橋2-9-22
TEL:06-6212-0771

The Shinsaibashi store is the newer one. It's probably the recommended one to go to - aside from being larger and with better lighting, the Yamato VFs were clearly seen on the ground floor (haven't been back in a couple of months, so I can't confirm if they're still there or in the same quantity).

It's also good, as it's closer to Namba/Den-den town; with Animate, the Gundam Store, etc..

#6 izzyfcuk

izzyfcuk

Global's Pipe Holder

• Members
  • 852 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:30 PM

Im visiting hongkong again next month,

dont' need to know where the toy shops are.

But need to know where the VINTAGES are. old skool Takatoku macross

Appreciate if anyone can provide some leads on this?

#7 sirhenk

sirhenk

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:21 PM

Edited by sirhenk, 26 June 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#8 Dangard Ace

Dangard Ace

Munch munch....mmm....

• 3,195 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:56 PM

Going to be in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong in the next few days and staying in each for about a week. Is the HK list up to date?

#9 Neova

Neova

Bridge Bunny

• Members
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (Dangard Ace @ Oct 11 2009, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Going to be in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong in the next few days and staying in each for about a week. Is the HK list up to date?

HK list is fairly updated but note the inside of the large building/malls are constantly changing so there will be new shops and some olds shops may be gone.

If you're looking for anything specific such as models, resin kits or hard to find items, best to ask first so the locals can help recommend places to go.

#10 locutus

locutus

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:52 AM

Hi, a friend will travel to Japan and we wanted to know if there any good store for macross models near Nagano, i hope you can help me.

#11 Boggsy

Boggsy

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:12 AM

Where can i buy robotech products in the philippines?

#12 Bub

Bub

Global's Pipe Holder

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • Interests:Tenchu, Guitar, Flight Simming

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:41 AM

Where can I buy Macross toys and items in Jakarta? Thanks!

#13 Jefuemon

Jefuemon

Bridge Bunny

• Members
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Models, sumo, heavy metal, and trying to fit in in my adopted country (since 2004 and going)

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:57 PM

I'd just like to chime in that Mandarake has an English web-shop, with international shipping.

Mandarake

#14 armentage

armentage

Skull Leader's Lackey

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:48 PM

I'm going to Tokyo in a few weeks and I'm looking for some shops to hit.

I speak some Japanese and have visited the Akiba Mandarake and a Kotobukiya shop back in 1995. These places were AWESOME back then!

Are there any other good shops to visit? I'm a typical M-Worlder, so I'll be looking for Valk toys and such. Do they still sell garage kits out there?

EDIT:
To get the ball rolling, I started googling for Mandarake, the Kotobukiya shop, etc. and found a bunch of addresses. I've created a public Google Map with a bunch of the locations marked!

Anime Toy Shops in Downtown Tokyo

Edited by armentage, 27 December 2010 - 07:05 PM.

#15 Chet

Chet

Skull Leader's Lackey

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:13 AM

Hi, all. May get a chance to be in HK for a couple of days next month, and was hoping to squeeze in some shopping. I have gone around to a lot of the areas often mentioned, such as Mong Kok. Causeway Bay and Wan Chai, but I haven't been back since 2006, so I'm afraid my recollection may be a little rusty!

Anyway, to be more specific, I'm looking for Exclusives, Limited Editions or harder to find older releases of Yamato Macross, CM's Mospeada and Patlabor, Gundam and Votoms toys. Given my limited time, I figured the Mong Kok area was the safest best, but I do remember that Toyzone over at Causeway Bay had some nice older stuff, so I was wondering if it was still worth heading out over there. Other suggestions would be welcome!

I also don't remember ever going into In's Point. Is that place worth checking out?

Finally, has anyone ever made the trek out to Toy-Wave's brick and mortar shop? If so, is that a place worth checking out?

Thanks!

#16 Black Valkyrie

Black Valkyrie

Galactic Diva

• Members
  • 5,310 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:33 AM

What about South Korea, I'm planning to there end of this year or next year.

#17 sketchley

sketchley

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:20 AM

What about South Korea, I'm planning to there end of this year or next year.

Which parts are you going to?

#18 Black Valkyrie

Black Valkyrie

Galactic Diva

• Members
  • 5,310 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

Seoul of course and perhaps Busan.

#19 Neova

Neova

Bridge Bunny

• Members
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:21 PM

Chet,

Already replied via PM but the best places to toy shop in HK are as follows:

Richmond Center on Argyle Street in Mong Kok
CTMA to visit Hot Toy's awesome retail shop and other shops in Mong Kok
Animate - across the street from CTMA in MK
Sino Center - literally behind CTMA on Nathan Road in Mong Kok
UML Model and Hobby shop on Dundas Street and Nathan Road - across Nathan Road on the first corner from Sino Center in MK
There is also G-Systems in the back alley next to the street where all the model shops are.

In's Point in Yau Ma Te - lots of Macross and 1/6 action figures here

Toy Zone 18th floor on Sugar Street in Causeway bay
Another building next to Toy Zone has 2 floors of toys

188 Shopping Center in Wan Chai

Those are the shops I would advise all visitors to Hong Kong to shop. It would be ALMOST like going to Akiba, Nagano and Shibuya but on a much smaller scale! :D But nothing beats Japan toy shopping except for the high YEN to USD and HKD rates.

#20 sketchley

sketchley

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:46 AM

Seoul of course and perhaps Busan.

It's been about 10 years since I lived in Seoul. The only places coming to mind that had Japanese imports and are easy to find* are:
Kyobo Books:
http://en.wikipedia....obo_Book_Centre
http://wiki.galbijim.com/Kyobo_Books
http://www.kyobobook.co.kr/index.laf

Young Poong Bookstore:
http://wiki.galbijim...Poong_Bookstore
http://www.ypbooks.co.kr/kor_index.yp

Both are conveniently located in "downtown" Seoul, on Jongno, and are within walking distance of each other (the galbijim links have good directions). The two stores had a decent sized collection of imported Japanese books, as well as Korean translations of the more popular Japanese manga. If you pick up a Newtype, be careful to confirm it's the Japanese version, as there's a locally produced version, too.

While you're in the area, I recommend checking out the restaurants in Jongno-2-ga; some of the best restaurants and the best atmosphere in Seoul is there. Of course, you must be able to speak enough Korean to make orders and pay; as they are (or were) off the beaten tourist track, and generally don't speak any foreign languages.

I didn't search for anime/manga when I visited Busan. But I really recommend taking a trip to Taejongdae. I found it much more rewarding than Haeundae Beach.

*I remember a couple of mom & pop toy/model stores where I was living that had a bunch of import Gundam/anime kits; but they're way far off the beaten path and not worth the effort tracking down

#21 Black Valkyrie

Black Valkyrie

Galactic Diva

• Members
  • 5,310 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

Thanks a lot sketchley for the information. Well I do know some few words ;) .

#22 Chet

Chet

Skull Leader's Lackey

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:50 AM

Chet,

Already replied via PM but the best places to toy shop in HK are as follows...

Thanks, Neova! By the way, sent you a PM!

#23 ewilen

ewilen

Alaska Base Survivor

• Members
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:51 AM

Hope it's okay to post a specialized question.

I expect to be in Tokyo just long enough to get out and explore the city for a bit. (Did this once before and had a great time.) Would like to visit a toy shop or two but I find the only thing I'm really looking for is a non-weathered, standard-issue 1/60 Tomahawk. Am I likely to do any better at a store than ordering from the states--i.e., $140 or more shipped for tan, or $85 for olive drab? And where should I look?

Wouldn't want to spend too much time hunting around but I reckon getting to a shop and browsing would be fun in itself.

Thanks to the posters in this thread and especially armentage for giving me something to work with already.

EDIT: Actually there is another thing I'd like to find: a copy of the old Macross City Fight board game, or any of the old Dougram board games. Any places that might have old/used board games/wargames?

Edited by ewilen, 22 December 2011 - 05:59 AM.

#24 ewilen

ewilen

Alaska Base Survivor

• Members
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:39 PM

Hm, I'd edit the previous post but seems there's a time limit.

Okay, so I think the place I must visit for games is Shosen Grande in Jimbocho. Akibahara seems like a good place in general (Yellow Submarine RPG shop for games, other hobby shops for mecha). Seems walkable from one neighborhood to the other--is it a nice walk?

Also, I've seen suggestions of Nakano Broadway in other threads, but it appears to be out of the way and I doubt it's worth an extra hour's round trip unless there's something else nearby of interest.

Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions.

#25 BlueMax

BlueMax

Bridge Bunny

• Members
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:28 AM

Hi all,

Heading to Osaka next week, and would love to get myself some macross stuff while there.

Are both Mandarake stores still there (the last post was over 2 years ago)?

Besides Mandarake, and specific shops or places I should go to to get macross? Besides Den Den town that is...

Thanks!

QUOTE (optimator88 @ Apr 8 2009, 05:21 AM)

All the store locations: http://www.mandarake.co.jp/shop/

There are two in Osaka:

Umeda area: http://www.mandarake.../index_osk.html
うめだ店
〒530-0027
大阪府大阪市北区堂山町9-28
TEL:06-6363-7777

Namba/Shinsaibashi area: http://www.mandarake.../index_gcs.html
グランドカオス
〒542-0086
大阪府大阪市中央区西心斎橋2-9-22
TEL:06-6212-0771

The Shinsaibashi store is the newer one. It's probably the recommended one to go to - aside from being larger and with better lighting, the Yamato VFs were clearly seen on the ground floor (haven't been back in a couple of months, so I can't confirm if they're still there or in the same quantity).

It's also good, as it's closer to Namba/Den-den town; with Animate, the Gundam Store, etc..

#26 sketchley

sketchley

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:24 AM

Yuppers.

The last time I was in Den-den town, there were a bunch of old and (at the time) new Macross kits in the former Osaka Gundams store (I think it's called Super Kids Land now. Still has the Gundam fist smashing through the wall at the top of the escalator, and the White Base interior decor on the 2nd floor).

Edited by sketchley, 31 January 2012 - 08:24 AM.

#27 BlueMax

BlueMax

Bridge Bunny

• Members
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

Fantastic! Thanks!

#28 Model-Junkie

Model-Junkie

Destroid Armour Waxer

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

Anyone here know if I can pick up either the VF-1A Minmay Special or VF-22s Moonshooters Hasegawa model kits from Mong Kok, Hong Kong?

#29 Caseymunchkin

Caseymunchkin

ARMD Deck Swabber

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:1/72 Valkyrie models, 80s Mecha Models

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

Hi Gang,

I lived in Japan for a year from 2007-08. I found that in Akiharbara it was tough to come across neat model shops..it seems that video games and toys were really dominating people's interest. Now there definitely were model kits tucked away, and some very cool model shops and the other stuff was really neat too even if you're not into it. Now the best place I found was Mandarake in Nakano Broadway - there are 5 different shops all pertaining to different types of nerd-love and one of them was all models. I found the best and coolest stuff. They also had one for nothing but art books...so I mailed myself about 100lbs of paper. For cheap and plentiful artbooks and manga, check out BOOKOFF. They are all over and have a section for artbooks and a hilarious name. I found many cool 80's books there (and cheap ps2 gundam games). And of course the Wonderfest Con is immense and I came back with tons of good finds from the Winter 08 show that I went to. If I have some time I'll post some pics of all weirdness that burned my eyes.

Arigato!

Oh Space Monkey, I need that Minmay Special kit, too!!

Edited by Caseymunchkin, 14 March 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#30 confuseguy

confuseguy

ARMD Deck Swabber

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

Anyone know if I can get myself some renewal VF-25 at Mongkok in HongKong?

#31 Sebastian

Sebastian

Bridge Bunny

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

Guys, I went to the Sinocentre yesterday and... it is GONE... I was so Sad. That was my best toy shop place since 1997!

Well... the CTMA is still there but the toy shops are a lot fewer. Nw it is full of Nail Spa shops and girly clothes.

Animate is also there in front of the CTMA.

All in all... it was SAD. Most of the toy shops are gone. Looks like the business is not as good as before anymore.

#32 Loop

Loop

Alaska Base Survivor

• Members
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

Guys, I went to the Sinocentre yesterday and... it is GONE... I was so Sad. That was my best toy shop place since 1997!

Well... the CTMA is still there but the toy shops are a lot fewer. Nw it is full of Nail Spa shops and girly clothes.

Animate is also there in front of the CTMA.

All in all... it was SAD. Most of the toy shops are gone. Looks like the business is not as good as before anymore.

I think the economy is playing a major part in the downfall of the brick and mortar toy shops.

#33 vanpang

vanpang

Global's Pipe Holder

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:24 AM

Hi all, Me and some friends will be heading down to Tokyo end of this month. We are looking for Macross toys and figurines especially the Inchiban Kuji Sheryl Nome in Kimono, would appreciate if anyone could advise me where to get them or shops in Akhibahara you can recommend ? Thanks

#34 erikos0311

erikos0311

Global's Pipe Holder

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Macross, Valkyrie mecha construction & custom Toys, Saxophone, Jazz ,DownHill Mountain biking!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

Hi there!!, 

I will be in Sout Korea in a couple of months, and was wondering if anyone has been there lately (Seoul) (ouijambu). I am trying to hunt down as many Yamato Macross as i can. i read an earlier post mentioning a couple of book stores, but its sort of outdated (march 11) ,soo.. if anyone knows anything, i would really appreciate if any guys here can guide me into the right direction.

#35 Smiley424

Smiley424

Global's Pipe Holder

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

I have been to Japan multiple times (currently on Guam, about 4 hours by plane south of Japan) and have only seen anime stuff in akihabara and gundam stuff in odaiba. Most of the stuff in akihabara were anime figures but I did find some Macross stuff at Yodabashi camera and yellow submarine, not as much as the stacks of gundam models, but it was there. I will be going back up over Thanksgiving and return with an updated report.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users