Display Comparisons

Sarge73

I am not by any means a collector but I have a Masterpiece Rick Hunter VF-1J on display among the many nostalgia pieces in my office. I bought it at the time because I liked the presentation better than the Yamato 'Jetfire' style toys in detailing. Well honestly I was a sucker for the pilot and missles in fighter mode.

Now I see a very nice looking VF-0S from Yamato and while I know it is not a classic Veritech it looks beautiful in online pictures. So I have been pondering swapping that out. Is there a good comparison topic/website matching these two as display pieces? Or is there another piece of comparable size that I am missing that has merit?

My concerns from the Masterpiece that would carry over to another purchase would be:

1: Flimsy jints in fighter mode.

2: Yellowing even though it has never seent he sun.

3: Too many decal apps on a small model.

I did look through some FAQs before posting and didn't find anything, but if I missed it the obligatory 'look here newb' will be appreciated just as much as an answer.

look here noob! j/k

seriously, theres no way to make a fair comparison between the 1/55 MPC(master piece collection) VF-1J hikaru(rick hunter), to the 1/60 VF-0S. its like comparing roseanne barr to jessica alba....they're not even in the same league. the VF-0S is better in terms of....well everything you can imagine.

check this recent thread for more info....

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=20396

or check out the link to anymoon.com in that thread, jenius has reviews and pics for just about everything macross/robotech.

LOL, everything except the 0S & 0A!!! Sorry, I haven't gotten around to those yet. I'm waiting on a reissue of the 0S because the first one apparently had some QC issues (although, even with those QC issues I'd wager it'd blow the Toynami out of the water... and I'm one of the people less hateful toward Toynami in these parts).

I definitely recommend you check out my site to see the wealth of other options you have. There's a link to it in my signature if you wanna get there quick. I'm also in the midsts of a pretty exhaustive write-up to finally show people just how significant the differences are between the MPC, Yamato's 1/60, and Yamato's 1/48... that'll probably take another week or two to finish... but won't help you with the decision to buy a 0S though.

Edited by jenius

LOL, everything except the 0S & 0A!!! Sorry, I haven't gotten around to those yet. I'm waiting on a reissue of the 0S because the first one apparently had some QC issues (although, even with those QC issues I'd wager it'd blow the Toynami out of the water... and I'm one of the people less hateful toward Toynami in these parts).

I definitely recommend you check out my site to see the wealth of other options you have. There's a link to it in my signature if you wanna get there quick. I'm also in the midsts of a pretty exhaustive write-up to finally show people just how significant the differences are between the MPC, Yamato's 1/60, and Yamato's 1/48... that'll probably take another week or two to finish... but won't help you with the decision to buy a 0S though.

I am leaning towards the 1:48 Folker. The remaining question is about yellowing. I heard the Hunter 1:48 was almost a light grey instead of white (though I am not sure if that is correct) and may not yellow. Is there any input about this topic?

See my review of the first edition on my website (it's on the front page, one of the last two most recent posts). I've had that toy for a couple years and as you can see in the pics, it's been used and abused and hasn't yellowed at all. It's also very white, not really grey-ish. There were a couple members here who did see some versions of the 1/48 yellow a bit but I think most admitted to having them in sunlight for displays of some sort.