rt.com masterpiece, yamato 1/48, 1/60

szandor

is there a thread that compares the quality of the veritechs,

1. robotech masterpiece

2. yamato 1/48

3. yamato 1/60

i'm trying to see what the differences between the 3 are but can't really tell other than that the 1/48 has less metal but more parts which means more detail but how about between the masterpiece and 1/60?

is there a thread that compares the quality of the veritechs,

1. robotech masterpiece

2. yamato 1/48

3. yamato 1/60

i'm trying to see what the differences between the 3 are but can't really tell other than that the 1/48 has less metal but more parts which means more detail but how about between the masterpiece and 1/60?

Jenius' site has some good in depth reviews of the 3. www.anymoon.com

If you want something to play with more than display, the MPC is probably suited to your tastes than the 1/60. Don't get me wrong, the 1/60 is plenty durable but in regards to playing with it, it is more stable then the 1/60 VF-1, mainly because rather than take a more innovative approach, its based on the old HCM and transforms the exact same way. Just make sure you don't pay the msrp for it, I got all of mine for 30-70$ off msrp and once I bought my roy MPC for $10 MIB, I couldn't find reason to complain much. The 1/60 has legs that fall out of the sockets over time. Basically, once the 1/48 came out, most of us bought that and never looked back.

I don't think anyone should ever compare the 1/60 VF-1 to MPC in the looks department, simply because it'd be a redundant question, for aesthetic and accuracy purposes, the 1/60 wins WITHOUT question. For me it was more of a matter of which one could hold up together better during play.

Jenius' site has some good in depth reviews of the 3. www.anymoon.com

Woohoo, thanks for the plug :D

I really intended to way more comparisons on the site but I just haven't gotten there yet (I have almost no free time at all these days). I think the reviews that are there ought to give you a good idea of the strengths and weaknesses of them all. There's no variety in the MPC releases but Yamato improved the 1/60 line as they went, that's why there's lots of reviews for those. The 1/48s... well, they're in a world of their own.

1/48 VF-1 - the best in terms of durability and detail, you won't be disappointed in the least.

1/55 VF-1 MPC - its not worth buying unless you find them below $40 but even then they'll leave a bad taste in your mouth....not a great toy at all but its got a nice box.

1/60 VF-1 - it has the best battroid mode and is the most complete line of macross toys in terms of scale. just note that they have removeable legs. its a love/hate thing with this toy. personally i love'em but that doesn't mean you will. maybe just buy a cheap one and take it for a spin.

1/60 VF-0 - newest release by yamato and pretty much tops anything on the market right now. its actually better than the 1/48 VF-1 in a lot of ways. you really can't go wrong with this one.

The 1/48 are the best. Durable, but watch out for certain things like the backpack hinge and you should be ok. When you buy fast packs, the added weight is enough to make it feel heavy if that's what you like in toys. I personally like that these have a light feel to them and don't suffer from floppy limbs. (like the old yamato 1/72 macross plus line)

Hopefully the 1/60 macross plus and macross zero lines all have tight joints and durability enough to be transformable with no worries. Another factor about the larger scale is the lack of fear if you scrape pieces against each other which ordinarily would scrape paint off a diecast toy over time. My 1/72 scale yf-21 thighs in robot mode have paint peeling off like crazy. I've left it in fighter mode ever since I started to notice flakes of paint on my fingers from handling this too much. You won't get that problem with the 1/48 because they are mostly plastic.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Get the 1/48.

If I had to choose between the MPC and the 1/60...I'd probably take the MPC. *runs and hides under table*

I hate the legs on the 1/60. I can't count how many times they've tipped over or busted the gangster lean on me. The only solid mode is the fighter.

Viva la Chunky Monkey!!!

Edited by VF Strike Valk

I seem to be in the minority, but I vasty prefere the 1/48 in battroid mode, to the 1/60's battroid. None of the issues most people have with the 1/48 battroid bother me in the slightest, it has far superior detail, and the 1/60s bulging hips just look awful. Single worst design decision Yamato has ever made, even ignoring the lack of perfect transformation.

I seem to be in the minority, but I vasty prefere the 1/48 in battroid mode, to the 1/60's battroid. None of the issues most people have with the 1/48 battroid bother me in the slightest, it has far superior detail, and the 1/60s bulging hips just look awful. Single worst design decision Yamato has ever made, even ignoring the lack of perfect transformation.

It still may be a minority opinion but I agree whole-heartedly.

I'm in the process of re-working all the Yamato 1/48 stuff on my website. I just put this Updated Yammy 1/48 Review on the site. It might help you see why the 1/48 gets so much love. In the event it does not, I should be posting a bunch more 1/48 stuff in the next week or two to get some more experiences and pics out to everybody...

Edited by jenius

dude. your website. it's awesome. thanks.

you know, for the price and minor tinkering, i can only afford the toynami's mpcs or 1/100s, yamato's 1/60 or bandai's 1/55. too bad the 1/48's are so expensive. i have to pay for school mang! but at least now i can make a decision on those. i know people frown upon the mpc/harmony gold tyranny, but i can afford the mpc alpha. the 80's alpha are just out of my price range. hmm, does anyone remember the plastic transformable alphas on the card? they were like the matchbox figures but plastic, one solid color, small and were transformable. i saw these once in the grocery toy aisle back in the mid 80's and never saw them again.

I'm in the process of re-working all the Yamato 1/48 stuff on my website. I just put this Updated Yammy 1/48 Review on the site. It might help you see why the 1/48 gets so much love. In the event it does not, I should be posting a bunch more 1/48 stuff in the next week or two to get some more experiences and pics out to everybody...

dude, i'd save up for a 1/48 VF-1S or one of the 1/60 VF-0's.

i know it seems very expenisve but its so worth the price. i mean, whats the point of buying an inferior toy when you can save for a awesome one? seriously, its like buying a KIA, when you could get a BMW, theres that much of a difference between the valks.....save your money and get the goods.

dude. your website. it's awesome. thanks.

you know, for the price and minor tinkering, i can only afford the toynami's mpcs or 1/100s, yamato's 1/60 or bandai's 1/55. too bad the 1/48's are so expensive. i have to pay for school mang! but at least now i can make a decision on those. i know people frown upon the mpc/harmony gold tyranny, but i can afford the mpc alpha. the 80's alpha are just out of my price range. hmm, does anyone remember the plastic transformable alphas on the card? they were like the matchbox figures but plastic, one solid color, small and were transformable. i saw these once in the grocery toy aisle back in the mid 80's and never saw them again.

dude, i'd save up for a 1/48 VF-1S or one of the 1/60 VF-0's.

i know it seems very expenisve but its so worth the price. i mean, whats the point of buying an inferior toy when you can save for a awesome one? seriously, its like buying a KIA, when you could get a BMW, theres that much of a difference between the valks.....save your money and get the goods.

While in some ways I agree with Haterist there is more to it. If you're in college DON'T BUY TOYS. Seriously, it'll just get broken in a drunken stupor by you or one of your friends and that money could be much better used to get yourself or a freshman girl drunk. If you absolutely must get a valk just to feed the festering valcoholism (something I clearly suffer from) just pick up a 1/100. Then, when you're through with school and have a job that pays nice, pick up a 1/48 like it ain't no thang.

$80 full reatil for the MPC with inferior design, subpar plastic and outdated toy technology.

Or $100 for e-tailers like Neova for a 1/48.

To this day I can't get over how superior the 1/48 are to every Valkyrie representation their is.

vinnie

$80 full reatil for the MPC with inferior design, subpar plastic and outdated toy technology.

Or $100 for e-tailers like Neova for a 1/48.

Well that's about as unfair as it gets. Who pays $80 for an MPC... even RT.com has them for sale at $59.99.

Neova does not sell 1/48s for $100 and he's in Hong Kong (IIRC). You can get a 1/48 for $125 new pretty easily, and you can get an MPC for half that pretty easily. There isn't a huge price similarity... nor is there a huge quality similarity to be sure.

Well that's about as unfair as it gets. Who pays $80 for an MPC... even RT.com has them for sale at $59.99.

Neova does not sell 1/48s for $100 and he's in Hong Kong (IIRC). You can get a 1/48 for $125 new pretty easily, and you can get an MPC for half that pretty easily. There isn't a huge price similarity... nor is there a huge quality similarity to be sure.

Heh... didn't realize the MPC prices went down. Neova sold me 2 1/48's for $100 (welcome back MW special). Yeah... $120 sounds about right for a new 1/48 shipped. How much is shipping at RT.com? The way I see it, the cost difference regardless is justified. Even as I pull my first 1/48 apart for some modding.

vinnie

PS: I mean $100 each.

Edited by justvinnie

Yeah... $120 sounds about right for a new 1/48 shipped

That hasn't been my experience. You might find the occasional steal on ebay or get a good deal from a MW member in the For Sale forum, but the average price for a new 1/48 is $130-$140 before shipping. Shipping tends to be around $10-$15, so you're looking at $140-$155 shipped on average. If you know a seller that sells 1/48's for $120 shipped, please let me know, because I'm still looking to pick up a few more ;)

While in some ways I agree with Haterist there is more to it. If you're in college DON'T BUY TOYS. Seriously, it'll just get broken in a drunken stupor by you or one of your friends and that money could be much better used to get yourself or a freshman girl drunk.

Lol, Macross fanboys in College don't get girls so spend away! :p

Lol, Macross fanboys in College don't get girls so spend away! :p

haha... Says who.... me and my old College roomie had a bomb ass TF, Macross, Marvel Legends display in our room and all the chicks loved it.... its just about how you play the game....