VF-1A Opinions

Jay-Lew

Hello, all! Fairly new to the forums here. I've only posted here once before, that was a few years ago. Just looking for some opinions on my CG VF-1A. Haven't done any maps for it yet, was just trying to get the shapes and proportions correct. This is for my overly-ambitious project that I just started working on. I'm trying to re-created the entire 1st episode "Booby Trap" of the english version "Robotech" compleatly in CG. The veritech is the 1st thing I've started building. I had a CG veritech I built a couple of years ago and posted here, but that one was just eye-balled from the perfect memory book, and had some wierd proportions. For this one, I scanned the instruction sheet from my hasegawa model and used that to hopefully get the proportions better. Anyhow, you guys are the experts, so let me know what you think. Ant feedback would be apprieceated.

Thanks,

Jason

NOTE: This is an awful lot of work I've got ahead of me, could use some help if anyone is interested. If so, just drop me a line at: jlewis08@cox.net

Thanks again.

Here are the images:

post-5-1118704555_thumb.jpg

WOW!!! That looks great. Only two things jump out at me as possibly not being right and even those I'm not sure of off the top of my head.

(1) The rear landing gear doors. You have one that opens forward and it looks like one that opens to the outer side. Shouldn't there be 3? I though there was another that opened toward the inner side as well.

(2) What are the round things with the diagonal slash though them called? There is one on each side of the nose that looks correct to me? However in your first picture I see one of the side just ahead of the wing. That one looks a little small to me. I was thinking it sould have been the same size as the others but knowing me I'm probably wrong.

I can't wait to see more,

Carl

Gorgeous!

One crit: The cokpit frame. I noticed that the frame is a bit thicker at the base in the mid frame where I had always believed it was uniform throughout. Not sure if it is for sure though.

Also, noticed you went with the slightly wider uper leg/intake area so it's not so flush all along the upper leg. Very 1/55 and anime, I dig it. I've done the same thing but only had it translate on the bottome of the fighter mode and inner thigh so that I could get a flush look on the outsides.

Great stuff.

Would love to see other modes if you got em.

:Dat

Dang! Great job on the VF-1A!

Love it when there naked with no skin. :-P

What 3d app did you use? XSI, 3d max, Lightwave, Maya? Looks like you worked on it useing Lightwave.

looks like maya to me. the render looks like things lightwave doesn't have like the background and the super realistic transparent glass (could be just me messing up the transparency settings in LW).

WOW!!! That looks great. Only two things jump out at me as possibly not being right and even those I'm not sure of off the top of my head.

(1) The rear landing gear doors. You have one that opens forward and it looks like one that opens to the outer side. Shouldn't there be 3? I though there was another that opened toward the inner side as well.

(2) What are the round things with the diagonal slash though them called? There is one on each side of the nose that looks correct to me? However in your first picture I see one of the side just ahead of the wing. That one looks a little small to me. I was thinking it sould have been the same size as the others but knowing me I'm probably wrong.

I can't wait to see more,

Carl

Absolutely fabulous job there Jason. I wish I had the way-too-expensive software to try doing stuff like this.

You are correct on both points, Carl. The rear landing gear is a three door arrangement. Going fore to aft, the doors open forward, inboard, and outboard. The verniers (the little round thing with the diagonal slash through it) are all the same size across the plane. The FAST packs, which aren't pictured on this model, have different sized verniers.

Also, two other nitpicks:

The forward nose gear door should have a landing light, as should the forward doors of the rear landing gear. The forward nose gear door light is round and white/clear. The rear landing gear forward doors are trapezoidal with rounded points and are colored red (port) and blue (starboard). Why blue since real aircraft are green, I don't know. Everything I've ever seen, which isn't much, is blue though.

The other is depending on whether or not this is the DYRL? version. IIRC, the DYRL? cockpit according to the line art shows no "gak" on the armrests other than the throttle control (port) and the stick (starboard). They are featureless armrests in some green material (leather/vinyl/naugahyde?). Also from my less-than-perfect memory, the DYRL? cockpit doesn't have the HUD above the instrument panel. I'm leaning toward this being a render of the DYRL because there is not a center stick arrangement, but perhaps you just haven't put one in yet (the view of the cockpit being from the starboard side, thus obscuring the view of the starboard armrest).

If I am wrong on any of this, anyone please feel free to correct me.

Thanks for all the input! Will be doing a little bit of tweaking over the next few weeks as well as adding the maps. Will post more renders once I get the maps done. Maps are going to be alot of work, as to finish the whole episode, I need 4 variations of this VF-1, the cannon fodder brown VF-1A, the Air show VF-1A, Folker's VF-1S, and The VT-1D Trainer.

For those of you interested, I used 3ds MAX with Brazil to render.

Also, I was going for the TV show version, not the DYRL version. I have a control stick for the center of the cockpit, just forgot to put it in for the renders.

After the VF-1's are finished I get to start the Daunting task of building a VERY detailed SDF-1! ( coffee will become my new best friend! )

Again, it's gonna take a whole lot to finish the entire episode, if there are any die-hard CG and macross buffs sitting up late at night with nothing to do who want to help out, any help would be welcome. I'd like this to take less than 5 years if possible! I've already got 1 more guy helping out. He'll be modeling some of the characters. Will post images when they are ready.

Anyhow, thanks again for everyone's input, has been helpful. When you stare at the same project for too long, it gets hard to be objective about it.

Will keep everyone posted as progress continues.