Revenge of the Sith - Model kits

With Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith released in theaters all over the world, merchanidise of SW:RotS are popping up here and there... Two days ago, I was walking around in my town checking the local toy stores for fun stuff. Then I stumbled upon a very big carded box for some Star Wars stuff... As I looked at it,I saw it was a stand for new Star Wars model-kits of the latest movie. And to my surprise these kit's doesn't needed to be painted and glued... So I bought 2 kits to try them out. Well these are the ones I bought:

- Anakin's Jedi Star Fighter

- Arc-170 Fighter

post-26-1117277796_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spider-X

Well... after 1 and 1/2 min waiting I started to work on this easy-fun-stay clean kit. And after a few min it was finished... All the part's fit in easily, it was just like a gundam kit ;) Well here's the result without the wings deployed.

post-26-1117278395_thumb.jpg

Pre-painted pieces of the ARC-170 fighter. All the 3 pilots are pre-painted. Makes model-kits even more fun to build without getting messy. Still had to glue the pilots onto their seats or they will be shifting up and down, left and right while building the kit.

post-26-1117286173_thumb.jpg

heres the ARC with a little work.Full repaint (not 100% finished yet though) I bought all6 kits in the line and all are getting a 100% repaint. They do look good out of the box if you just want a litle dispaly piece.

post-26-1117290308_thumb.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII

Great looking~ any scale information? do you have a X-Wing or something side by side?

I've put the ARC Fighter side by side with an X-wing from the Action Fleet series. It has the same scale, and the pilots are the same size like the action fleet figures. But the rest of the model kits have different scales...

About the prices of these babies, there are 3 types of boxes. the first box type is about 10 Euro's, 2nd is 15 euro's and 3rd is 25 euro.

post-26-1117294538_thumb.jpg

I really like the ARC fighters design, not much of a real fighter, but a big heafty bomber type craft. The Jedi Starfighters are better designed than their Episode I counterparts, but the cockpit looks awefully exposed.

And any info on when us Yankees will be able to get some of those?

Being a quick snap together kit, it would be great to play with, and at a decent price too.

Those Revell Germany kits are sweet. For us in North America, the true cruelty of the dark side won't be revealed until we get our sure-to-be crappy AMT Ertl kits this fall.  <_<

Just reading the words "AMT Ertl" together made my bowels move in an uncomfortable manner.

C**ppy models from a c**ppy manufacturer. Always was and still is. <_<

Amazing how long these guys have had the Star Wars license over here in the US.

Edited by Warmaker

Actually blame MPC for the crappy SW models. They went bankrupt and ERTL bought them out way back when. ERTL does make decent kits overall when its a new tool made in shop. This time it turns out they bought someone elses crap

To be fair, a couple of the TPM kits actually weren't bad. The AAT Trade Fed tank was pretty good, as was the batle droid/STAP kit. However, the AMT lineup for ROTS is hardly inspiring, especially in light of the Revell Germany offerings.

Hey thanks for the heads up!  I don't have the time and space to build models.  These will do just fine!

Well, it never hurts to help spread the force of Snap together kits ;). These kits are excellent for people who don't have the time to really build model kits, but still want to build them very quickly and easily.

Just checked the link for the NA to order these kits. They are pretty expensive for a snap together from revell. Even with the import costs... <_< But still, who doesn't want to have this ARC fighter... :D Fun and Easy to build!!!

Another tempting pic:

(Making the Impulse Gundam look cool :D)

post-26-1117360413_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spider-X

I really like the ARC fighters design, not much of a real fighter, but a big heafty bomber type craft.  The Jedi Starfighters are better designed than their Episode I counterparts, but the cockpit looks awefully exposed.

And any info on when us Yankees will be able to get some of those?

Being a quick snap together kit, it would be great to play with, and at a decent price too.

The design of the ARC Fighter is indeed awesome looking. And yes, it really doesn't looks like a fighter... especially for it's size compaired to an X-wing. It reminds me more of an Imperial Assault Gunboat from the Galactic Empire era.

Republic ARC-170 Fighter & Imperial Assault Gunboat as seen in the X-wing PC games.

post-26-1117361197_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spider-X

Quick question: Are the Bandai MG kits just like these Revell ones? In other words, do they look just as good as the Revell ones without painting? Or do the ones in this thread have superior pre-paint work done on them?

Another quick question: the 1/100 non-MG kits currently being released for Gundam Seed Destiny - are they just as good as MG, or do they require more work?

Sorry, mildly off topic!

The finish of the MG kits is up to the builder really. Personally i dont like the look of unpainted plastic wether its the correct color or not. I prefer to paint my subjects. But as a whole id say as an out of the box non paint kit the MG stuff is just as good as these revell kits.

Quick question: Are the Bandai MG kits just like these Revell ones? In other words, do they look just as good as the Revell ones without painting? Or do the ones in this thread have superior pre-paint work done on them?

Another quick question: the 1/100 non-MG kits currently being released for Gundam Seed Destiny - are they just as good as MG, or do they require more work?

Sorry, mildly off topic!

You have to put a bit more effort into them to make them look good. but they turn out pretty nice. Here is a 1/100 Red Astray I finished about a week ago.

http://img266.echo.cx/img266/707/astray017vf.jpg

Back on topic - I love these kits! I'm glad this topic was started as I was gonna buy a Jedi starfighter toy but now I'll wait for the kits to appear in my local store (this is australia, so it might never happen..)

guppy,

nice work on that astray - which parts did you paint yourself? or did you paint the whole thing?

gotta dig the katana.

I painted the whole kit. I airbrushed black weathing on first (which you can't see in the pic much), then did the red and white parts over the top. I added a leftover decal to his thigh from the PG Strike kit too. I painted his knuckles white with a hand brush.. they look a bit crap! The astray is a really cool kit. I love the Samurai warrior look he's got. All up it was only half a day's work.

I like that "new" ARC fighter--definitely consistent in "feel" with the other ship designs from the prequels; for me they bring to mind or seem reminiscent of the streamlined era of the 30's, vs. the more boxy "80's" feel of the original trilogy's designs (the prequels' designs make me think of Criss Craft boats, and other style cues of that era). That ARC one reminds me most of this pre-war bomber. The s-foils don't really suit it though; they seem tacked on as an afterthought, to lend a sort of connection to the X-Wings that would "follow."

post-26-1117428512_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

Looks quite a bit short actually... Too bad they're such small scale.

Btw, yes, Ertl inherited crappy SW kits from MPC.. but the MPC X-Wing STILL beats out the newer Ertl Pro-Shop X-Wing in terms of detail, if you ignore the cockpit.. It amazed me how they could make the cockpit better, but the rest of the kit got so much worse. :( But maybe that's just me.

And I agree, the s-foils on the ARC definitely look like an afterthought.. I mean, there aren't even any visible components attached to them. At least with the X-Wing, spreading the wings gives the engines a wider base, and the guns a more spread out firing pattern. All the s-foils on the ARC do is make a bigger target. :p

Edited by Chronocidal