Playstation 3 Thread Round 3

Gaijin

I am using a custom soundtrack... I ripped the music from all the previous WipEout games (okay, I downloaded Pure and Pulse's soundtracks), then added a little of my own techno (mostly Elite Force and Sasha, with sprinklings of Tiesto and Orbital).

Anime music in WipEout? Anything but techno in WipEout makes me a sad panda.

Most of my soundtrack is Electronica/House/Techno (containing tracks from Wip3out & Pulse, some from the original & 2097/XL to be added soon) but I decided to throw a bit of Macross Frontier into the mix. Personally I think the songs I've chosen (Seikan Hikou, Infinity & Northern Cross) work quite well, the latter 2 getting me in the mood to annihilate my opponents :D I also tried out "Omae no XXX Ten o Tsuke!" from the Gurren Lagann soundtrack, that works well too :)

Edited by Valkyrie Nut

The global scores updating must be off... I'm getting bronze medals in the speed lap sessions and coming in, supposedly, in the top ten...

edit:: yeah. there has to be a synch error, cuz when I go look under "records" the top ten is completely different and I'm, rightfully, nowhere near it.

Edited by eugimon

I am now a proud PS3 owner. That was not cheap...

WTF? I bought mine in Nov 2006. And i've already upgraded the HDD twice (first 160 and now 320GB). :lol:

Edited by Uxi

I didn't realize HD had custom soundtracks too. Time to break out the XL soundtrack and throw it on the PS3 :D

Yeah I got the Xl and 3 STs on mine.

I beat Wipeout Xl on PIRANA. But it has been years. Trying to get back in the groove with this one.

Dont forget to add me to your PSN!

5400 rpm is the speed on all OEM PS3 drives. As I posted before, I have a 320GB I got from Frys for a hundred bucks. Also 5400rpm. Some people have put 7200rpm drives but there was no noticible performance increase, and possible risks of (heat). The PS3 does encryption on it's HDD so it's possible any speed increase is rendered moot by the encryption algorithm.

Edited by Uxi

Any of you guys played the demo for Bioshock? I've just been playing it and I'm so glad they bringing it to the PS3, this game is amazing!

it's creepy as hell but i like the demo.

Little Big Computer. Wow.

From Kotaku: "the level is said to use 610 magnetic swtiches, 500 wires, and 430 pistons. I didn't see what the big deal was until the camera panned up. That's when my mouth hit the floor."

http://kotaku.com/5059808/littlebigplanet-...r-math-homework

Damn! The levels I'll make when the game comes will be nowhere near as impressive as that :ph34r:

If you guys are talking about the 320GB Western Dig SATA drive go for the 7200RPM *the black version" here's how to get it for cheap. Go to Cir City's site and print off the page for the WD 320gb drive (I believe they are only selling the slower blue version (uses less power) but there is no skew on the drive or on the add.

Then go to best buy and ask them which drive (they carry both) is the match. My best buy gave me the better drive for the price of the cheaper one on a price match. I paid $89 for the 7200 RPM drive at best buy.

Of course I didn't know this was going to happen when I went to price match. I didn't even know WD had 2 series of drives.

Which SKU is the best on the market now? Thinking of getting a PS3 in the near future and I don't want one that would over heat a lot or something similar to the RROD of the 360.

There is only one, really, the new 80GB model. It uses the 45nm manufacturing process and is not backwards compatible with PS2 games. The Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle can be found from time to time, its the 80Gb with PS2 backwards compatibility. A new Uncharted 160Gb bundle is coming out in November, say chipset as the new 80GB.

So no problems similar to the infamous RROD?

No. The RROD has to do with the manufacturing choices Microsoft made with the 360. Some of the changes Microsoft has made over the past year or so have helped, reportedly dropping failure rates from over 30% to below 15%.

Namco here to rip you off again with DLC that's most likely already on the disc..

http://kotaku.com/5064911/first-official-s...ighting-screens

Starting October 23rd in Japan, Yoda will be available as PS3 DLC for ¥600 (US$5.93), and Vader will go for 400 Microsoft Points.

I'm sure the rest of the world will get it the same day.

Sorry for posting this kinda off-topic question, but I would really like to know before I buy the PS3. :rolleyes:

I need a mkv to mp4 converter, and I came across the mkv2vob converter someone mentioned when I searched the forums. However, I have tried to install several versions yet all failed to install. Then I found this AVS Video Converter which seems good, but it cost $60. My question is, is there any other good mkv to mp4 converter(whether they are free or not)?

btw is there any places to download America TV series like Heroes and Terminator:SCC in mp4 format using bittorrent? From the sites I know all those are only avaliable in mkv format.

Once again sorry for the OT questions as I really really need the answers. :huh:

Sorry for posting this kinda off-topic question, but I would really like to know before I buy the PS3. :rolleyes:

I need a mkv to mp4 converter, and I came across the mkv2vob converter someone mentioned when I searched the forums. However, I have tried to install several versions yet all failed to install. Then I found this AVS Video Converter which seems good, but it cost $60. My question is, is there any other good mkv to mp4 converter(whether they are free or not)?

btw is there any places to download America TV series like Heroes and Terminator:SCC in mp4 format using bittorrent? From the sites I know all those are only avaliable in mkv format.

Once again sorry for the OT questions as I really really need the answers. :huh:

Try xvid4psp.

http://www.winnydows.com/news.php

scroll down for the latest version.

you can convert MKV files with that program. It will take some trial and error though. I've converted MKV files to M2TS files for use on the PS3 with good results. Macross Frontier Blu-ray rips look great.

If you have an mkv that doesn't have subs you can do a direct copy with xvid4psp. It will just copy the MKV into whatever format you want. No transcoding.

and some more info.

http://animeted.wordpress.com/2008/07/03/h...itles-embedded/

Edited by dejr8bud

SOCOM time! The included headset is worlds better than the Jabra Warhawk one. Worth picking up for that alone.

Maybe so but im really dissapointed in the new SOCOM game... It looks like ASS... the graphics are PS2 graphics with less weapons and customization... Not to mention the crappy character models and lack of things you can change on them... LOL even most of the stuff in the instruction manual isnt even in the game. Like quickmatch, calenders and tournament mode lol... Wow sony really dropped the ball here by hiring a second rate developer like slant six to do this game... Where is zipper? NE one know?!

Maybe so but im really dissapointed in the new SOCOM game... It looks like ASS... the graphics are PS2 graphics with less weapons and customization... Not to mention the crappy character models and lack of things you can change on them... LOL even most of the stuff in the instruction manual isnt even in the game. Like quickmatch, calenders and tournament mode lol... Wow sony really dropped the ball here by hiring a second rate developer like slant six to do this game... Where is zipper? NE one know?!

Zipper's working on MAG. Some say it may turn into an Official SOCOM title (SOCOM 4?). Regardless, I'm enjoying Confrontation if only for the less people running around like idiots shooting and jumping at everything (which plagues most FPS online).

They should probably get rid of jumping or make it impose a 3 sec firing penalty or something. Never see anything like that in real life. If anything go more like America's Army and make standing while firing difficult, easier at kneeling, and and easiest in a prone position.

I don't wanna sound like I absolutely hate SOCOM (infact I think its great!). But there are some things I think need to be fixed before it gets the praise it deserves and right now the problem is the servers... It looks like the game is so popular that sony cant handle the amount of ppl trying to login...

There are also quite a few bugs in the game itself that make it unplayable... Like random freezing every other match and server disconnects, also very long loading times and lots of lag make the game unplayable. The ranking system in the game appears to be down so there is no way to unlock new equipment and gain a higher rank... Overall I feel like sony rushed the product out to the market to make christmas sales... hopefully by December things will be fixed completely but until then im not gonna bother playing... at least the headset is nice...

I don't wanna sound like I absolutely hate SOCOM (infact I think its great!). But there are some things I think need to be fixed before it gets the praise it deserves and right now the problem is the servers... It looks like the game is so popular that sony cant handle the amount of ppl trying to login...

There are also quite a few bugs in the game itself that make it unplayable... Like random freezing every other match and server disconnects, also very long loading times and lots of lag make the game unplayable. The ranking system in the game appears to be down so there is no way to unlock new equipment and gain a higher rank... Overall I feel like sony rushed the product out to the market to make christmas sales... hopefully by December things will be fixed completely but until then im not gonna bother playing... at least the headset is nice...

I haven't noticed any of the lag, freezing, or long loading times you mentioned..I did in the beta sometimes but not with the retail.

I haven't noticed any of the lag, freezing, or long loading times you mentioned..I did in the beta sometimes but not with the retail.

Interesting. Guess I'm clear to buy then. The bugs were the only thing holding me back. I really just want the headset but the game for $10 makes it a no-brainer.

Interesting. Guess I'm clear to buy then. The bugs were the only thing holding me back. I really just want the headset but the game for $10 makes it a no-brainer.

Well go to the official socom forums if you think this is ok... or you can learn the hard way by not being patient, buying the game and have it break your PS3... its your loss...

Dont believe everything you hear... sony probly has all their fanboys saying that the system is great and that everything is ok on their payroll...