Your Favorite Mecha

Valkyrie Driver

VF-1 for sure! the original and still the best! The VF-1J Hikaru variant in particular.

Yes the later Valkyrie versions are better equipped, faster, more capable and ultimately more deadly but the VF-1 just has that something special!

And if it was a real jet it would still blow the socks off (and then some!) the best we have available today!

It's hard to pick. I would say VF-22 because it looks like an F-22.

you reckon!? I thought it looked much more like the YF-23..

Northrop_YF-23_DFRC.jpg

More like if the YF-22 and YF-23 had an ugly baby that had an ugly baby with a SU-35...

Favorite valk, I gotta go with VF-1S Strike

500px-VF1S-Strike_Fighter-GERWALK-Battro

Favorite non-valk, I gotta go with the Tomahawk

A9336979-20.gif

Yeh, I know - I'm old school LOL.

There is no shame for being old school, cause I am too!!

VF-1 all the way but specifically VF-1J of the Max and Millia fame. sheer terror for the enemy just by looking at those blue and red VFs

There is no shame for being old school, cause I am too!!

VF-1 all the way but specifically VF-1J of the Max and Millia fame. sheer terror for the enemy just by looking at those blue and red VFs

Well... After they get a look at what those blue and red VF's do to their forces...

Edited by Valkyrie Driver

Tomahawk/Warhammer - I was an oldschool Battletech player before joining the bombsquad and ditching Uni.

Valkyrie II due to its lines. No matter what form, Fighter - Gerwalk - Battroid, its just dead sexy!

I picked out my top 30 80s mechas -- can I post them here??

Absolutely!

Tomahawk/Warhammer - I was an oldschool Battletech player before joining the bombsquad and ditching Uni.

Valkyrie II due to its lines. No matter what form, Fighter - Gerwalk - Battroid, its just dead sexy!

I bought the Tomahawk toy Just because of the Connection to Battletech. Warhammer is one of my Favorite Battlemechs ever.

The AT-AT & AT-ST

The Motoslave

R-3000, HAW206, Tachikoma

The Garland and Proto-Garland

Mugen's Calibur and the Gazette from Dorvack

GoLion Voltron

Eva Unit 01 (I know, not completely mecha, but piloted and controlled by machines/armor)

VF-1, 4, 0, 2ss, 9, 11, 14, 5000, 25, 17, 171, Koenig Monster, variable Glaug, YF-19 & 21, BG-5C Fatman

Legioss

Majority of the Zoids

ED-209

Majority of the Armored Core designs

Many, many Transformer designs, esp the G1 designs taken from Diaclone

T-800

Powerloader from Aliens

APUs from The Matrix

Prawn Exo-Suit from District 9

These are a good start :D

The AT-AT & AT-ST

The Motoslave

R-3000, HAW206, Tachikoma

The Garland and Proto-Garland

Mugen's Calibur and the Gazette from Dorvack

GoLion Voltron

Eva Unit 01 (I know, not completely mecha, but piloted and controlled by machines/armor)

VF-1, 4, 0, 2ss, 9, 11, 14, 5000, 25, 17, 171, Koenig Monster, variable Glaug, YF-19 & 21, BG-5C Fatman

Legioss

Majority of the Zoids

ED-209

Majority of the Armored Core designs

Many, many Transformer designs, esp the G1 designs taken from Diaclone

T-800

Powerloader from Aliens

APUs from The Matrix

Prawn Exo-Suit from District 9

These are a good start :D

Well, I must say I am again surprised. I did not expect to see non Macross related designs mentioned, but I will not complain.

My TOP 30 Favorite Mecha Designs from the 80's List --- 21-30

For the pics, I wanted to show either a toy or model kit of each mech to celebrate what great offerings we have of these designs - even multiple decades after their original releases.

An 80s fan will no doubt notice the lack of FSS and L-Gaim. While I like that designer, I never got into the anime, and thus they never imbedded themselves in my heart. I'm sure I also missed some other great mechs from that era, like the Maddox Exo-Suit...

LET IT BEGINNNNNN....

post-8486-0-20760700-1441374401_thumb.jpg

30. ZAKAAL from SPT Layzner

WAVE killed it with its Exceed Enthusiast Elite 1/48th scale Limited Edition Kit - $500!

Why I Like It - It matches Layzner's heroics with a flare for evil royalty in this iconic nemesis...

29. The O from Z Gundam

1/100 scale MG kit and a host of other available collectable offerings.

Why I Like It - Its a giant toad! Totally unique design. And those extra arms that come out from its front shields - unforgettably weird...

28. Priss Hardsuit and Bike from Bubblegum Crisis

Yamato's Metallic version toy was pretty good, but too small, fiddly and lacking any die-cast. There have been many kits and attempts at this design, but we're still waiting for an ultimate representation.

Why I Like It - Great anime series, cool designs, awesome music and exo-suits raining down death and destruction...

27. Orgroid from Orguss

Megahouse just nailed the Orgroid with it awesome, if pricey, Hi-SPEC variable toy. Box was very cool as well. Lots of die-cast too.

Why I Like It - Nothing else looks like the Orguss. Very unique, organic design, strange color scheme and it has 4 modes (and never runs out of missiles either)...

26. Beta Fighter (aka tread) from Mospeada

Toynami did an OK job on its MPC Betas, but the joints are pretty loose and they should have made a simple chest cover for soldier mode to hide the 2 sunny-side up egg lights. The hip joints are a mess (loose, wiggly), and needed a ball-joint to provide the figure with a real A-stance. Knees and ankles needed more posability as well. Maybe we'll see a 1/48th Moscato resin kit in 2016!

Why I Like It - A giant afterburner that changes into 3 modes? What's not to like? And nothing else looks like it out there. And I grew up on Robotech, so its firmly planted in my early fandom...

25. Jagd Doga from Gundam Char's Revenge

We're still waiting for a proper 1/100 MG kit, but there is a 1/100 scale SMH resin kit out there.

Why I Like It - The COLORS. Just like the design and color scheme, the bird head design with mono-eye floating behind, and its beefy, muscular looks. If I had to pilot a mech into combat - I would be proud to climb into this guy...

24. Galient from Panzer World Galient (TV series)

Again, WAVE's Exceed Enthusiast Elite kit for $500+ bucks is amazing. Not many people know this guy is a triple-change mecha, with a semi-GERWALK mode, plane mode and roving cannon mode.

Why I Like It - His sword turns into a whip! -- He's indestructible! I like the series a lot too...

23. Destroid Tomahawk from Macross

1/60 scale toy from Yamato, weathering version, its probably its best representation. The head design is tricky in that you can either mold the front glass to look like eyes (like Skull-1), or a large mouth (like an ugly frog). WAVE's 1/72 kit fails IMO as it look far too froggish, the front screen its mouth. I only wish Yamato had made the front glass green instead of red to further make it look like its eyes.

Why I Like It - You have to ask? Its Macross, its bristling with weapons, and looks completely badd...

22. Layzner from SPT Layzner

Bandai released a SPEC version of this design with tons of die-cast and removable armor - a must for any Layzner fan. Highly recommended but a little small. But Bandai also came out with a 1/48th MG kit that someone created upgrade resin bits for - making the ultimate Layzner release to date.

Why I Like It - Yeah he's a little gundam-ish, but the series was awesome and he's simply too heroic to ignore in the great line of 80's memorable mechas...

21. Drumlo from Aura Battler Dunbine

There have been many kits released including resin variations of every kind - but Bandai just released (just released? its 2015!) Drumlo in their Robot Spirits line of figures. While I long for it to be a SPEC and have die-cast, beggars can't be choosers. Sculpt is right on, showing him in all his menacing crablike - beetle-ish-ness.

Why I Like It - He's crazy weird looking, personifies bad-guy-mech, and just does it for me...

Stay tuned for the rest of the 80s countdown...

Edited by DarrinG

My TOP 30 Favorite Mecha Designs from the 80's List --- 11-20

LET IT CONTINUEEEEEE....

post-8486-0-90430700-1441399918_thumb.jpg

20. Marasai from Z Gundam
This mecha got a recent full fledged 1/100 scale MG kit, but I can't help but like a few other versions better. I have the resin bit upgrade parts that are supposed to be combined with a standard Zaku MG, but I haven't gotten that full kit yet. I'm sure the regular MG is a heck of a lot easier to build - I should just stick with that since I like it so much.
Why I Like It - If my empire ever needed a royal guard to keep watch and enforce my will, they would look like this! This mecha design appears like a bruising henchmen, and I like it ...

19. Commander Pod Glaug from Macross
Of course Captain Moscato himself wins the title of best Glaug ever with his 1/72 resin kit.
Why I Like It - "I - hate - to - loose - a - fight!" Who can forget its infamous pilot pounding the dash in anger on the scorched Martian landscape! Iconic design, ultimate bad-guy bot, forever wedged in our childhood memories...

18. Dragonar 1 - OP Version
The series kind of blows, and so does the Dragonar 1 design they actually used in the show -- but the Opening Silhouette version is outstanding and takes its place among the all time best 80s hero mechas. Bandais SPEC version is a must-have (and so is Falguan who almost made my top 30), but the Max Factory version is also nice if you can stand its fiddly-ness.
Why I Like It - Gundam RX, Macross VF-1, Dragonar 1 -- These are simply fantastic main hero designs that you just know will end up saving the day in the nick of time...

17. Invid Shocktrooper (aka gurab) from Mospeada
Alright - who had the Matchbox toy? I did. Not bad - especially compared to all the rest of the horrific Matchbox line. But since then we've gotten a few 1/48th kit offerings, one at WF, then a Moscato version. Still feel like this amazing guy deserves an ultimate offering in toy form.
Why I Like It - ALIEN! The design says not of this world - and horrible tracker / killer at the same time. And who can forget its eerie footsteps clopping by, as you fear for your life...

16. Iczer Robo from Iczer 1
I do have an old Bandai resin kit from a million years ago, but I sure wish I had the WF kit pictured below. Will never find it I'm sure - or afford it if I do. This bot needs a SOC release, as does Iczer Sigma who almost made my top 30.
Why I Like It - I think its mostly due to the amazing OVA animation. The brave scenes battling the forces of evil while its arm is severed off are some of my favorite scenes. I wish they didn't use a naked little girl to pilot the thing so I could show my kids!...

15. Destroid Monster from Macross
The Monster's memorable design has had many releases in both model and toy. Mike's 1/72 resin kit takes the cake, but here comes Bandai with a Hi-Metal Monster for all the aging Macross fans.
Why I Like It - The scene in the final battle alone is enough to drop my jaw every time. I can still remember being a little kid and watching the 3 guys in the cockpit prepare it to move out. There's nothing else like the Macross Monster - but I wouldn't be caught dead in one... (or perhaps that's just where I WOULD BE caught dead)

14. Helldiver from Patlabor
WAVE's high complete model is amazing to behold - highly recommended.
Why I Like It - Let's be honest - if the military WAS going to actually do mecha this is what it would look like. Why all these hero mechs are bright white is still a mystery to me. The Helldiver is just so darn realistic - and darn cool looking...

13. Dangioh from Dangaioh
CROSSFIGHT! The OVAs are written terribly, or worse - and the plots are as thin as paper - but the battle scenes and the assembled mighty Dangaioh is one of my all time favorites. Studio Halfeye released their $1,000 to $2,000 ultimate combining fragile resin toys, and then you can also get the Revoltechs for about $10 bucks.
Why I Like It - I can watch him unite and go to battle time and time again - it doesn't get old -- and the music is the best...

12. Wingal from Panzer World Galient (Crest of Iron OVA)
I tried to show a pic inside a pic below so you can see his giant wings. WAVE came out with this finished statue, and then a limited release resin kit for a million dollars. But then of course some asian shop managed to re-cast the kit, and I picked that up for some eventual retirement building. The design of this medieval mecha is simply stunning - Google it and take a look: WAVE Wingal Panzer World.
Why I Like It - Looking like a true fallen angel (and acting like it too), Lord Hi-Shaltat pilots this evil mecha for only a few scenes, but its looks live on forever in fandom...

11. Alpha Fighter (aka legioss) from Mospeada
Moscato's 1/32 Ultimate Legioss must take first prize, but for those on a budget the Toynami MPCs were not THAT bad - except for the oddly crumbling hands. I'm still not sure why WAVE came out with a 1/72 kit - it was far too small - but the box art was amazing!
Why I Like It - "What in the blue blazes is that?!?" Ha. What's not to love about the Alpha - and they come with their own ride armors too!...

Stay tuned for the TOP 10 in my 80s countdown...

Edited by DarrinG

Steel Battalion- I love the blocky, industral/military look of these designs.

http://arkensark.deviantart.com/art/Steel-Battalion-Wallpaper-53120532

The Methuss, Methuss Kai, and the Delta Plus from Zeta Gundam.

Glad you mentioned L-Gaim, DarrinG. Great, stylish designs that really catch the eye. There was an amazing looking custom with a striking locust inspired paint job featured at a Japanese event years ago. I thought I had a pic saved, but I can't find it, and Google's letting me down. Anyway, although I've never seen the anime, I find the designs unique, interesting, and cool.

LEGO is one of my other expensive hobbies, and there are a plethora of amazing mecha designs, both custom and media-based, floating out there on the web. For those interested, there's also a LEGO Macross Group on Flickr.

Many of the Machine Robo/ Gobot designs, esp the aircraft.

Robot-Jox.... :p No! :lol:Just Kidding!

Escaflowne

I forgot the SV-51 in my previous post. One of my favorite valk designs, in fact. I'm not a GERWALK fan, but this looks awesome in G-mode.

From Warhammer 40K: Space Marine Dreadnought, Eldar Wraithlord, Wraith Host, and Dark EldarTitans, the Necron Triarch Stalker and Canoptek Spyder, Skitarii Ironstrider, Imperial Knight mecha

Vox and Ovid mecha from Rinne No Lagrange

Nirvash Type Zero Spec 2 and 3, and the End from Eureka 7

Kallen's Guren from Code Geass; Alexander type 2 from CG: Akito the Exiled. The latter has a creepy look to it when its down on all fours in attack stance. Pretty sweet.

My TOP 30 Favorite Mecha Designs from the 80's List --- 1-10

Now for the Finaleeeee....

post-8486-0-89896900-1442003515_thumb.jpg

10. 'Fallen Panzer' from Panzer World Galient (Crest of Iron OVA)

WAVE again achieved the perfect likeness for this sinister snake-like mecha. They released it as both a fixed statue (for about $1,000), or a limited resin kit. Someone did a re-cast of that kit that can be had relatively cheap. There have been a slew of other resin kits over the decades, but nothing as terrifying as what WAVE released.

Why I Like It - Google IT -- and you'll see. Its beyond the 'Darth Vader' in its iconic evilness - this creepy serpent machine is my top bad-guy of all time mecha bad-guys ...

9. Cyclone Ride Armor from Mospeada

Gentleman, we have witnessed a masterpiece. Beagle went bankrupt getting us their ultimate likeness, and Toynami actually improved something with better boxes and head sculpts. Except for Stick's red cloth being brittle, and the weird screw-hole in the neck -- Beagle hit the mark with their 1/10th release. Some Mopeada fans say still prefer the Gakkens, but the Beagles remain the top ride armor 'dogs'. Ha.

Why I Like It - After seeing the 'Lost City' - or city in the lake episode 2, and watching the ride armors fly around the ruins and battle the giant purple shock troopers, I was hooked. What kid would not want one of these machines to defeat all your neighborhood enemies into smithereens? The design is just so simple, so straight forward - start the engines and the heroic music ...

8. Dunbine from Aura Battler Dunbine

The amount of model kits and toys of this one mecha are too numerous to count. While many resin kits have nailed the design, Bandai's RS recent release is a great likeness with tons of extras. If you are a Dunbine fan, you MUST GET the RS Fow ship to go with your Dunbine. Its excellent.

Why I Like It - Nothing else looks like the purple Dunbine. It says classic anime. See the series if you haven't. If a kid imagined a giant robot appearing in his yard to spirit him away from his parents and onto great adventure - this is it ....

7. Garland from Megazone 23

Until recently, the best we had was the fiddly Yamato Garlands that many times were crumbling or breaking apart in your hands. Fewture has announced a pretty smart looking version with bunches of die-cast that has Megazone fans salivating. I hope it turns out as nice as it appears in early pics!

Why I Like It - A step more heroic looking than the Cyclones, the Garland is just the right size, just the right cool factor - to climb in and save all your friends, kill the baddies and get the girl just in time...

6. VF-1 with GBP from Macross

The V2 from Yamato (and Arcadia) is as darn near close to a masterpiece toy of this iconic design as we'll likely ever see. Then you have lots of great model kits of all types that have pictured this amazing mecha over many years. This might not be high enough on the countdown for a MW forum, but remember this - its the highest TRANSFORMING mecha on my list. The Top 5 have the luxury of avoiding changing modes - giving the designers all the freedom without any modular restrictions. The VF-1 is the chief of all the mode changing mechas - of all time.

Why I Like It - If you have to go out on patrol and miss the beauty contest - take this. The episode with the GBP is just an awesome all around story - pulling us into the cockpit to feel all the fear and frustration of its daring pilot. Rocket around, blow out all your missiles and then go on the attack - making millions of fans of the VF-1 and GBP battle armor in the process ...

5. RX-93 ν Gundam from Char's Counterattack OVA

The original design of the RX-93 is not nearly as good as what model and toy makers have morphed it into over these many moons. The Bandai 1/100 version ka kit is spectacular. BUT - I would have to say just from the pics I've seen - G-System resin kits have this design squared away with their many releases.

Why I Like It - Putting the RX at #5 was tough, I could easily see it as far down as 3rd.Its the hero's hero mecha. Beefy, tough, and dynamic in its design - its the ultimate Gundam (and there are tons of those), and almost the ultimate mecha design of all time ...

4. Scopedog from Votoms

Endless variations of the Scopedog have littered the market over and over again. Take your pick and you can find something great to satisfy your want for this robot warrior. The design does not seem that hard to hit right in toy or model form. The Yamato 1/12 turned out a little big for its own britches, and ended up a little fiddly and loose in the joints. The Chirico pilot Yamato made though is a 10 out of 10 in my book, and nearly worth getting one of those giant dogs just to go with him.

Why I Like It - If the Patlabor Helldiver is the realistic mecha the army would actually make, the Scopedog was their early prototype they made along the way. I wouldn't want to go to battle in one, but it sure would be fun to get in one and battle my friends in the backyard, spinning around and ripping up the grass. The Scopedog could easily be #1 in anyone top 80s mecha list ...

3. Ingram from Patlabor

This one is easy. Yamato won the longest race to get the best ever Ingram likeness with its 1/24th Ingram toy. If you have never held one for yourself - consider yourself cheated. Its truly a work of art - in anime mecha form. They're actually coming down in price and can be had for about $350 these days. make it so.

Why I Like It - The design is perfect. No changes. Its the perfect police mecha -- heck, perfect mecha -- in an all time great series ...

2. Tetsukyojin (Galient) from Panzer World Galient (Crest of Iron OVA)

WAVE truly created the best figure / collectable I have ever seen, even over the Yamato Ingram. All the joints are super tight, the fit and finish is flawless. These guys still command, used on Yahoo Japan, around $450 to $550 bucks when they come up. They're worth it if you have that kind of scratch laying around. If you don't have that laying around, just Google and ogle the pics.

Why I Like It - This amazing robot creation always reminded of Vlad's red armor from the movie Bram Stoker's Dracula. Its the ultimate beefy, bouncer mecha -- medieval in its design -- both heroic and menacing simultaneously. If I had to go into combat with might and muscle, with sword and shield - this is my ride. Defending the free world from ancient centaur mecha and other bad-guys of all sorts, the OVA Galient is at the top of the design heap. I find it interesting he is piloted by the king's true and favored son, appears at the climax in red, wields a double-edged sword and defeats the evil serpent. Just saying ...

1. THE Sazabi from Char's Counterattack

G-System and the many resin releases of the Sazabi have not only captured the design, but put it on acid and fueled this mecha to the very top of my all time 80s mecha list. So to be honest, its not just the original design, which is nice, its how its been warped into the pinnacle of all combat mechs, looking every bit the deadliest battle robot ever created. The Bandai 1/100th MG version ka appears to be a pretty awesome kit that can be easily had by the masses - and hopefully will be built by me one day.

Why I Like It - "Just climbing into this battlesuit would be enough to intimidate your opponent into submission. Its the very coolest, most amazing mecha design I have ever seen, and it takes my number one spot ...

Thanks...

Edited by DarrinG

Interesting list, some surprising final ten rankings. I too love the Sazabi (which is why i had to include it on my website), though the rank would be too high for me. Surprised a Macross mecha didn't crack the top five :)

I don't think I could equate my favorite mecha to the toys themselves. I feel the art itself would be my ultimate benchmark.

It's certainly an ecclectic list of mecha. Though I weep for the lack of Five Star Stories and Evangelion :)

Trufax: I initially thought the Sazabi thumbnail was the VF-19 Kai, and thought the entire sequence of posts had been setting us up.

well gee as much as I love Macross and do really like the 19Kai but not even I would have made it number 1! hehe! :lol:

That would've been awesome.

Its a classic case of the yeahhh nahhh's.. It would and wouldn't have been awesome at the same time! :p:D:rolleyes: