The computer and electronics super geek superthread...

EXO

Socket 939 is being phased out, unfortunately. You may wish to try other vendors. Tiger Direct has some 939 boards in stock. You may wish to try them.

Linky linky (in stock, free shipping)

I used to buy from ZipZoomFly (ZZF) a lot when they were called Googlegear. This was before Newegg took the world by storm. But, I hear that they (ZZF) aren't quite as good at customer service as they used to be. (sometimes shipments are delayed etc.).

I'd still give them a try though if they had what I wanted (like this case)! I've always liked their free shipping! And price is nearly always competitive with Newegg.

I was thinking of buying a better wireless router. Any suggestions?

I currently have d-link di-524.

My MTS adsl modem connection was finally fixed last week ( took 2 weeks, 4 home visits of MTS technicians, and 9 hours phone calls); and, I have yet to be disconnected from the internet. But, this d-link router cannot handle file sharing for more than a day. I have tried all the settings, and I still have to reset this router 2-3 times a day to get the connection speed up from lower than 10kb/s back to adsl speed.

I have been looking at this linksys wireless router

I've always found VLC Player with some various codec packs to be the most comprehensive media player around... I love it and wouldn't use anything else anymore.

I gotta agree with you there.

VLC Player is a down to earth, easy to use Media Player that plays it ALL without the fancy pancy, skin choice, vizualisation, add ons, whatever.

I use a Belkin. It never failed me and it was very easy to set up.

I currently have d-link di-524.

I have been looking at this linksys wireless router

I'd avoid the Draft-N routers until they finally settle on the specs, hence why they are called "Draft-N". Although the Draft-N equipment is pretty close to the final specs, so there won't be any significant changes.

I would look at the WRT54GL or WRT54GS. Cheaper and there's a modified firmware out there (http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php) which adds lots of features to the router that the default firmware lacks. I've Linksys for about 6 years now and all the stuff I've used from them has been solid.

I wholeheartedly second that! I try to go Linksys whenever I can for routers, switches, etc.

When you get the new router, if you want to use the (preferred) wireless security protocol (WPA2) in Windows XP, you'll need to download and install this from Microsoft. I don't think it's ever been made available from the regular updates area. Dunno why.

H

Thank you! Linksys it is.

I tend to use WEP encryption with this wireless router rather wpa-sk because windows me desktop does not appear to support this type of encryption. The desktop has to be windows me because of abit be6 motherboard and other older hardware installed.

I'd be shocked if you couldn't get XP working normally on a system of that vintage. I've got it working on an Abit BH6 PII 450. :lol:

In fact, older systems are often easier, since XP often has the drivers for the motherboard, video card, and sound built in and you don't have to download them.

But, of course, we're getting off-topic. . . sorta.

WEP is near-useless against anyone actively trying to get onto your network. But, of course, unless you're worried that Ashcroft is after you, you'll probably be fine.

I'd definitely support that Linksys is an awesome brand with a very good reputation and excellent QC, just prepare to spend about 15 dollars extra for similar equipment. I've also used D-Link and never had trouble with their wireless routers, but specific wireless cards might give you trouble. And i've only used one Belkin product and it actually worked great, but i've heard from other people that Belkin is a complete waste of space and should only be used in a dire emergency.

Edited by emajnthis

Cantenna? I never heard of this. Sounds intersting. I'm looking to create in home network.

I'm looking to build another system (just to do it)

I hadn't heard that AMD 939 sockets are being phased out.

So how much better are AM2 CPUs?

I looked over at newegg to see what they had for sale as far as 939 MB were concerned.

Though I want to go with ASUS i'm leaning towards DFI.

Does any one have any suggestions?

Doesnt have to be the ones below, they're just examples.

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Or

ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard

or

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

or

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

I don't think you need a cantenna for a home network unless you have 6-inch walls made of lead.

Socket AM2 are about the same as their socket 939 predecessors. They are more energy efficient but there's actually very few noticeable differences between the 2 cores. The AM2 cores, I won't say has longevity, but the parts you'll be using to build that system, like the RAM, will be around.

Between the 2 DFI boards, the specs are about the same. Northbridge chipsets are the same (nForce 4). On-board audio and networking is the same. Only difference between the 2 is the nF4 SLI-DR Expert supports and additional PCI slot and RAID 5. So it's bang-for-buck. The nF4 SLI-DR Expert wins since it has some additional features for the same price and the other DFI board.

Between the Asus boards, it's polar ends. The A8N5X is more of a low-medium end board; not feature-heavy. RAID is only 0/1/0+1, Single LAN connector, no SLI. The A8N32-SLI Deluxe is a high-end board. Dual LAN, more RAID options, SLI, etc. So this boils down to what you want to do with it and how much you plan to spend. If you plan to really push this system, then the A8N32-SLI Deluxe would be the best route. If you have no clear picture of what you want to do with it, or plan to give it to someone who probably will not be doing any serious gaming, i.e. basic stuff (e-mail, 'net, photo sharing, word processing), then the A8N5X would probably be a better choice. Between the 2 Asus boards, I would ask yourself (you don't need to tell us) what you intend to do with it and how much are you willing to spend.

Any suggestions for a PC keyboard and mouse? I need a new one of each. My PC is used pretty much solely for surfing the web, all my gaming is console. Minimal word processor/spreadsheet/powerpoint etc use. So I need "comfortable" stuff more than anything else. :)

Keyboard: Considering a light-up one, based on how much typing I do in semi-darkness. But it seems there's only 2 opinions out there about them: either they're not bright/clear enough to really make it worth it, or they're the coolest thing ever and it works great. Also, I have a concern about the paint rubbing off and leaving "glowing blobs" instead of clear letters, as that's the main reason I'm replacing this one. Finally---since all the light-up ones are USB-only, that's kinda bad for my PC--it's JUST old enough to not have a conveniently located USB port for a keyboard, and it won't work until the OS actually loads the USB drivers--bad for entering setup/BIOS etc, I'd have to keep a spare PS/2 keyboard handy just for that. (I plan to keep this PC a while, as processor speeds have really leveled off the past few years--memory upgrades alone should keep this one ok for some more years)

PS---the Logitech G15 is not an option--WAY too big.

Any suggestions for a PC keyboard and mouse? I need a new one of each. My PC is used pretty much solely for surfing the web, all my gaming is console. Minimal word processor/spreadsheet/powerpoint etc use. So I need "comfortable" stuff more than anything else. :)

Keyboard: Considering a light-up one, based on how much typing I do in semi-darkness. But it seems there's only 2 opinions out there about them: either they're not bright/clear enough to really make it worth it, or they're the coolest thing ever and it works great. Also, I have a concern about the paint rubbing off and leaving "glowing blobs" instead of clear letters, as that's the main reason I'm replacing this one. Finally---since all the light-up ones are USB-only, that's kinda bad for my PC--it's JUST old enough to not have a conveniently located USB port for a keyboard, and it won't work until the OS actually loads the USB drivers--bad for entering setup/BIOS etc, I'd have to keep a spare PS/2 keyboard handy just for that. (I plan to keep this PC a while, as processor speeds have really leveled off the past few years--memory upgrades alone should keep this one ok for some more years)

PS---the Logitech G15 is not an option--WAY too big.

For mice, go to Fry's, Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, anywhere and feel the mice in your hand before you go out and buy one. If comfort is what you want, then you really need to go out and feel the shapes in your hand. I've used mostly Microsoft and Logitech throughout my years. Both make great mice. I've tended toward Logitech these days, but I've hated the shape they used for the MediaPlay/V100/150/LX3 when I placed my hand on it.

Keyboards....Logisys makes illuminated keyboards that come with a PS/2 adapter. Saitek also makes illuminated keyboards, minus the PS/2 adapter which you could just pull off the mouse if the mouse comes with a PS/2 adapter. I'm not a keyboard-nut as I've used the same keyboard for about the past 10 years (personal use, work is another matter).

I reccomend for the mouse a Logitech MX Revolution. Document flipper on the side, plus forward and back browswer buttons, a search button, and four directional scroll wheel which allows for free spin. Very elegant design as well. Quick response, battery lasts for days (up to 10 days before needing to recharge).

I like Logitech stuff. Good prices for their quality.

I'm using a Saitek Eclipse II.

It feels pretty good, and looks nice.

My only gripe is that if you prefer red lights to blue(or, heaven forbid, want PURPLE), you have to reset the color every time you turn the machine on. There's no memory, so it always starts blue.

As far as pointing devices go...

I use a Logitech "Marble Mouse." Yes, I'm the trackball freak.

It really needs a scroll wheel mechanism, though.

I really wish Kensington offered a trackball in between the Orbit and the Expert Mouse. 2 buttons and no scroll device just doesn't cut it. But the Expert Mouse is a hundred bucks.

What are your opinions on NetGear's stuff? I have an old router and card (don't really use them anymore though) and I read some good reviews of the products and they had a killer rebate at WorstBuy. I'm looking to upgrade soon so I can get online with the PS2 and play SOCOM again.

Edited by Metal_Massacre_79

What are your opinions on NetGear's stuff? I have an old router and card (don't really use them anymore though) and I read some good reviews of the products and they had a killer rebate at WorstBuy.

Neutral. I've seen their products fail and I've seen their stuff work really well.

I just wanted to chime in about Vista. From my understanding, Vista is pretty much XP with a face-lift. The only real good thing about Vista is DirectX10...but there aren't any DirectX10 games out there so there really isn't a need to upgrade just yet.

What are your opinions on NetGear's stuff? I have an old router and card (don't really use them anymore though) and I read some good reviews of the products and they had a killer rebate at WorstBuy. I'm looking to upgrade soon so I can get online with the PS2 and play SOCOM again.

Depends on product. I'm using a NetGear router now, and it tends to fail mysteriously. It'd drop the ADSL modem, or hang and reboot itself.. annoyance really. The talk on the net seems to indicate it's heat related, but that's really hard to say in my climate. When it worked it worked well, but mean time between failure is a carp shoot.

OTOH, my older router, which is also Netgear, was pretty sweet until eventual obsoletence caught up with it.

Got the Eclipse II here as well for a keyboard. Nicest keyboard I've used. Hadn't noticed the color not being set to any sort of memory. Probably because I like blue (the default).

Sorta odd to pay about $60 for a keyboard though. :o

Got the Eclipse II here as well for a keyboard. Nicest keyboard I've used. Hadn't noticed the color not being set to any sort of memory. Probably because I like blue (the default).

Sorta odd to pay about $60 for a keyboard though. :o

I like red, so I've gotten in the habit of bumping the light button each time.

And yah, it's pricey. 'Specially on a shelf next to boards that cost 10$. But the cheap keyboards suck, so... :)

I caught mine on sale, so it was more like 45. Still pricey.

I know a guy that swears by the old buckling-spring keyboards(they still make them, amazingly). I've got a beat-up one laying around, and it DOES have a nice feel. But they cost something like 100. And DON'T LIGHT UP!

That and they tend to drive everyone around you insane with clicky noises.

Well I'm typing this with my new keyboard--ended up with Eclipse II, but NOT because it lights up---it simply had the closest shape and button layout to my current one. 99% of the current ones are "ergonomic" in SOME way, and I hate that. I want a pure rectangle, period. The Eclipse II is about the only one like that now, that's not a 9 buck cheap one. And it feels/types nice. PS---I found that I actually had 2 more USB ports on the back of my PC, they were always just hidden between the monitor cable and speaker jack--they're really tucked in there, and mounted sideways near the edge of the case. And covered in dust. So I have both my new keyboard and mouse hooked up there. Eclipse II is really nice--I swear I can type faster/more accurately---and I generally suck at typing. (I swear girls are inherently faster typists---noticed it all my life with few exceptions--the average girl can type WAY faster than the average guy, and they can flat-out embarass me in that category)

My new mouse is a Microsoft Comfort mouse 3000. Wired, not wireless. All the wireless ones had weird buttons IMHO--not inherent to the design, they just did. I must have really long fingers or something--I tend to really click on the "edge" of a mouse, not the center of the buttons--so I really want buttons that tend to wrap around to the "front" of the mouse, and well to the sides-that's just how I click. I had a logitech mouseman for many years, lasted through 3 computers---one of the first with a third, center button. But it was outdated the moment scroll-wheel mice came out, so it was retired. But I still keep it, as it's built like a tank.

Currently trying to figure out what to configure my mouse's thumb-button for. (just one, not 4 or 5 like some of them had)

I actually prefer the notched/clickly scroll-wheel, but the button shape was far more important. Any way to reduce the sensitity of an analog scroll wheel?

I've got a Logitech cordless with the scroll wheel and the third/middle button. I programmed the third button for a ENTER keystroke, and it's reduced the amount of time it takes to do repeated tasks with CAD. It took a little while to get used to the scroll wheel though since it can really act as three buttons (you can tilt it left or right and also press it down) which really screwed me up a few times on a drawing.

I need to buy a new computer ASAP. Would the following be decent (and if not, what would you recommend):

Processor - Intel Core E6400

Memory - 2GB SD 667MHZ

Hard Drive - 320GB

Graphics - 256 NVIDIA GeForce 7500LE

This is one of the HP rigs available on their website now, pricing for a Dell is equivalent but I've had success with HP (although I realize some may not have). The rig also comes with their TV tuner with PVR and with a 19" flat panel runs just shy of $1400 (with all the other misc options I'm choosing).

The thing that has me worried is the video card (although that's the best one they offer). I'm guessing that, in reality, the card must be mediocre at best. Is that card junk or will it run most games on mid settings just fine? Any commentary is appreciated. Computers aren't my real cup of tea but I do like to play games occasionally and do some photo editing and maybe video editing in the future.

The thing that has me worried is the video card (although that's the best one they offer). I'm guessing that, in reality, the card must be mediocre at best. Is that card junk or will it run most games on mid settings just fine? Any commentary is appreciated. Computers aren't my real cup of tea but I do like to play games occasionally and do some photo editing and maybe video editing in the future.

That video card is kinda obscure so you were right to question it. It's an HP OEM card so it's not sold among retailers. I would suggest a GeForce 7300 if you must go low. Not many people use the 7500LE so it's hard to find anything useful on it.

edit: needed to clear up my post.

I got a few dead pixels on my Tecra M7. I'm gonna get a new screen under warranty.

Anyone ever dealt Toshiba customer support? I heard that they can be pretty bad.

Edited by kensei

I've dealt with Toshiba before. It did take them three times to figure out what was wrong with my laptop, but they did finally get the problem worked out. Unless the pixels are completely black, they may be able to be saved. There is a program that was designed to reset discolored pixels that still work but do not display the correct colors, but it won't work on ones that are completely black (also works for PSP).

They usually have a quick turn around time. The nice part of it is that you can track what they're doing to your stuff through the warranty center online. They log exactly what they do to your product, when they get it, when they ship it, etc. After I sent my computer in, it was shipped 2nd day air, they had it for a day, and two days later it was at my door (happened all three times too).

I was originally going to ask for help here but I ended up wasting so much time trying to fix the problem I did the next best thing to troubleshoot....bought a new printer. For 3 hours I was trying to figure out why all of a sudden (the day after I bought and installed new inks) for my Lexmark printer I had problems with the printer spooler, then the "specified print monitor unknown", then "access denied" screen trying to reinstall software.

After deleting some bad spooler software from Lexmark by going through the registry, uninstalling/reninstalling drivers, and then going through TWO software support people from India (they were o.k. but could not figure out the problem and THEN both times I got cut off after 30 mins on the line) I ended up going to Walmart and buying a new HP scanner/copier combo and now I am able to print.

Wish this problem happened BEFORE I spent $50 buying and installing new inks into the printer. Beware of Lexmark printers, they install a LEXBCE.exe program that messes up routinely the printer spooler causing your computer to not recognize the printer.

I just called Toshiba support, and they were surprising straightforward and polite enough with me. And the repair centre is local, therefore it shouldn't be too long as long as there are not too many computers that need checking. I'll report on it later.

so i found an ipod nano 2nd gen a few months ago and turned it in to the local police station...i recieved a call from the police station last friday to see if i wanted it...so now i have an ipod nano and i don't know what to do with it...i had anapod from when my nephew use to us my computer for his ipod so i'm using that now...i recently found out that you could download games from itunes but devistated when i found out they were only available on the gen 5 models...i was wondering if there was a way of playing those games on my gen 2 nano..