Medicom/Hot Toys and all 1/6 scale figures

EXO

And on that note I must add to this discussion that I came home today to try and activate the sound on my Vader for only the second time since I had him out of the box and I got absolutely nothing. I did a search and I have researched other forums and apparently a lot of people are having the same problems, you can reset the switch as many times as you like, I have also reseated the batteries, and it does not work. I guess my choices now or to send it back and get a refund, perhaps another one, or just put it in the display cabinet and deal with it. Not a happy camper right now as a $300 toy should work right when they had over a year to make it right. The additions of the electronics in this particular model are absolutely horribly done. Also there are 15 small batteries ranging in size from like a watch battery to the tiniest batteries I've ever seen in my life that you have to put in this thing to make everything work. I'm an experienced modeler and use to dealing with some very small pieces and they took me over an hour to install. The belt also broke at the clasp the first time I tried to take it off..poor sewing. The on off switches are hidden under three layers of his clothing and impossible to reach without undressing the figure completely. There is also an auto shut off function internally that shuts off the sound after 15 minutes if you don't use it, you then you have to reset the switch which means undressing the figure completely again. WHAT???!!!... . I really wanted to be a fan of this company as it was my first purchase from them, alas that's not the case. Buyer beware.

Edited by derex3592

Sorry to hear about your Vader fig, Derex. HT is known for making lifelike head sculpts and highly screen accurate figures, but QC can be hit-and-miss in certain ones. Their ED-209's suffered from "rubber rot syndrome" on the black dome parts and rubber leg joints--both the original release from several years back as well as the more recent one. A lot of collectors got burned when they thought HT had fixed the problem with their second "renewal" version.

Yesterday, just for grins I undressed Lord Vader again, mainly because I wanted to put his tunic under the belt, which I thinks looks better, AND try the voice thing one more time. Flipped the switch and sure enough this time he talked! I recorded it with my cell phone so I could prove to people it actually does work--sometimes..LOL. So sadly what these means is it's an intermittent issue with either the switch itself or the electronics inside. Whatever, I guess I'll put him in my case and be semi-happy. I don't wanna go through the hassle of sending it back as it does work, sometimes, and there's nothing to say that the replacement would be any better.

sorry for the odd grey text...

Edited by derex3592

Not sure if this one is already posted here. But does anyone here planning on getting the Sideshow Wolverine Figure? He looks great! I'm only contemplating due to budget. Hehehe. :lol:

How I wish they will also make the Blue and Yellow variant in the future. ;)

marvel_wolverine_sixth_scale_100176_01.j

marvel_wolverine_sixth_scale_1001761_01. marvel_wolverine_sixth_scale_100176_08.j marvel_wolverine_sixth_scale_100176_05.j marvel_wolverine_sixth_scale_100176_06.j marvel_wolverine_sixth_scale_100176_04.j

marvel_wolverine_sixth_scale_100176_09.jmarvel_wolverine_sixth_scale_100176_03.j

• 3 weeks later...

Me again, guys. Got a question. I want a 1/6 spidey, preferably from the Sam Raimi films cos I just like that suit better(though I like the ASM2 suit), but I am not gonna pay more than $250 for a Hot Toys figure. I have found on Ebay a Medicom Spidey3 and a HT ASM2, both at reasonable prices. Are Medicom figures good? I like what I see, but as I occasionally geek and mess with my collection I wanna know that it won't fall apart after I pose it a few times. I love the quality of HT(though Black Widow is my only one for now), but the medicom is cheaper. This also will impact a custom project of making a Medicom TOS Ultraman into my OC Ultraman Zenith. Thanks!

Me again, guys. Got a question. I want a 1/6 spidey, preferably from the Sam Raimi films cos I just like that suit better(though I like the ASM2 suit), but I am not gonna pay more than $250 for a Hot Toys figure. I have found on Ebay a Medicom Spidey3 and a HT ASM2, both at reasonable prices. Are Medicom figures good? I like what I see, but as I occasionally geek and mess with my collection I wanna know that it won't fall apart after I pose it a few times. I love the quality of HT(though Black Widow is my only one for now), but the medicom is cheaper. This also will impact a custom project of making a Medicom TOS Ultraman into my OC Ultraman Zenith. Thanks!

I guess you get what you pay for. Hot Toys has high end of 1\6 therefore the price. Check out review on medicom on youtube to see it fits your liking.

I guess you get what you pay for. Hot Toys has high end of 1\6 therefore the price. Check out review on medicom on youtube to see it fits your liking.

I get that, but I'll have to read some more reviews on Medicom stuff. I wouldn't really care as I love my Black Widow, except I've been splurging on stuff for a while and really gotta cut back. So I'll watch the video and more reviews. I hear mixed reviews.

From what I've read, HT's biggest problems with QC mostly involves rubber materials. Either due to inexperience or other factors, the rubber materials on some of their figs can suffer from cracking (ED-209's infamous dry-rotting dome, even on the more recent version), "leaking" (IIRC, an early TDK Batman fig's suit suffers from chemical reactions between 2 different rubber types), and discoloration (early Iron Man crotch parts suffered from "pink briefs syndrome").

That said, it's mostly a case-by-case thing, and newer versions do benefit from improved R&D.

As for the ASM Spidey fig, if you're more particular about the quality of head sculpts, I suggest you go with HT. With a few exceptions (RE Retribution Alice and IM 3 Pepper Potts), their heads sculpts are generally more realistic and accurate.

Just my 2 cents' worth, though--I'm by no means an expert on 1/6 figs.

From what I've read, HT's biggest problems with QC mostly involves rubber materials. Either due to inexperience or other factors, the rubber materials on some of their figs can suffer from cracking (ED-209's infamous dry-rotting dome, even on the more recent version), "leaking" (IIRC, an early TDK Batman fig's suit suffers from chemical reactions between 2 different rubber types), and discoloration (early Iron Man crotch parts suffered from "pink briefs syndrome").

That said, it's mostly a case-by-case thing, and newer versions do benefit from improved R&D.

As for the ASM Spidey fig, if you're more particular about the quality of head sculpts, I suggest you go with HT. With a few exceptions (RE Retribution Alice and IM 3 Pepper Potts), their heads sculpts are generally more realistic and accurate.

Just my 2 cents' worth, though--I'm by no means an expert on 1/6 figs.

That's what I've read previously on HT. My Black Widow had her belt buckle break(my fault cos I had put her in civvies for a while and forced the belt on when putting her back in costume). Otherwise no problems. The Medicom Ultraman is my only option for my custom project, unless I wanna pay $300 or more for the Project BM one. And the main reason I might get the HT ASM2 figure... cos it looks kinda like an updated Nick Hammond Spidey.😆

Edited by thereal9thdoctor

That's what I've read previously on HT. My Black Widow had her belt buckle break(my fault cos I had put her in civvies for a while and forced the belt on when putting her back in costume). Otherwise no problems. The Medicom Ultraman is my only option for my custom project, unless I wanna pay $300 or more for the Project BM one. And the main reason I might get the HT ASM2 figure... cos it looks kinda like an updated Nick Hammond Spidey.

For the life of me, I could never tell one Spidey suit from the other. But then, I actually thought the Mark IV suit from IM 2 was a repaired Mark III.

Got couple 1\6 figures past week.

Nice! I'd kill for a diecast Mark VII release.

For the life of me, I could never tell one Spidey suit from the other. But then, I actually thought the Mark IV suit from IM 2 was a repaired Mark III.

The one from the tv series starring Nick Hammond is the standard design, but the eyes, gloves and boots, along with the external(and one) webshooter make it unique. Especially in the first few episodes, with the silver disks with holes punched in for the white parts of the eyes, and the sewn on boots poking out over the red leather boots. It got better looking after that but still never looked great. But it has a charm for me, and is the only live action version of that suit that looks like a teenager could have reasonably made it.

Edited by thereal9thdoctor

The one from the tv series starring Nick Hammond is the standard design, but the eyes, gloves and boots, along with the external(and one) webshooter make it unique. Especially in the first few episodes, with the silver disks with holes punched in for the white parts of the eyes, and the sewn on boots poking out over the red leather boots. It got better looking after that but still never looked great. But it has a charm for me, and is the only live action version of that suit that looks like a teenager could have reasonably made it.

Yeah, I've always wondered how Peter Parker could make a suit like that with minimal tailoring skills and equipment. I mean, the suit and eyepieces can be cannibalized one way or another, but the intricate web patterns on the suit...

Yeah, I've always wondered how Peter Parker could make a suit like that with minimal tailoring skills and equipment. I mean, the suit and eyepieces can be cannibalized one way or another, but the intricate web patterns on the suit...

According to my girlfriend, who is a cosplayer, the movie style suits are fairly easy to do if you have the time and patience to work with puffy paint. We've talked about making a Spidey suit for me to go with her Black Cat cosplay, but I gotta lose weight first. 😆

But still, I think the ASM2 figure could be customized fairly easily into a modernized Hammond Spidey.

According to my girlfriend, who is a cosplayer, the movie style suits are fairly easy to do if you have the time and patience to work with puffy paint. We've talked about making a Spidey suit for me to go with her Black Cat cosplay, but I gotta lose weight first.

But still, I think the ASM2 figure could be customized fairly easily into a modernized Hammond Spidey.

With her tailoring skills, you could actually start a 3rd party business for 1/6th scale clothing. Seriously, there's a growing market out there, especially with collectors customizing their own "civvie" version of live-action comic characters.

With her tailoring skills, you could actually start a 3rd party business for 1/6th scale clothing. Seriously, there's a growing market out there, especially with collectors customizing their own "civvie" version of live-action comic characters.

We've thought about that actually! She help me make costumes for my customs in the past.

We've thought about that actually! She help me make costumes for my customs in the past.

If you combine that with 3D-printed accessories (sanded, painted and detailed, for the usually non-DIY-inclined 1/6th scale collector) you guys could be making some decent money.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

would you guys know which Iron Man armors have removeable chest plate AND non-helmeted RDJ head?

i foolishly bough the Gantry without the MkIV, which is now hard to find these days.

edit:

or are there places where one could get just the RDJ head?

am considering the Armor Unleashed version then just slapping RDJ's head on it

Edited by Major Focker

I have a Mk III with the RDJ head. I even have an extra hot toys body with a suit for the RDJ head I think... unless I sold that off. PM me if you're interested and I'll dig it up... I opened it but never displayed it.

Anyone familiar with Devil Toys? I'm interested to order these two coz it's looks nice. Reminds me of Crossbone Gundams. And seeing that it's a collaboration with QUICCS, might as well support a fellow countryman. ;)

Here's info from Devil Toys' Facebook page.

"Devil Toys is proud to announce the collaboration with Philippines-based Artist -- QUICCS on a series of 1:6 scale projects based on his Bulletpunk Universe, the first of which will be his TEQ63!

Slated for 2-3Q 2016, the first TEQ63 1:6 release will feature a new and updated helmet design based on Quiccs' signature [The Real] TEQ63 look with his early 1:18,1:12 and 1:6th efforts. The figure will also feature custom tailored Bulletpunk-style clothing, some extremely designed weaponry, and a new sidekick that will be revealed in these following months."

1/6 TEQ63 + SRCH K9 Robot

dt005.jpg

dt009.jpg

dt007.jpg

1/6 TEQ63 (Ghost Mode) + SRCH K9 Robot

dt031.jpg

dt033.jpg

Photos courtesy of TagHobby.

Would it be cool to have alternate Crossbone Gundam heads for these figures.

gundam027.jpg

Well due to a ridiculously big signing bonus at work for our new contract, I will finally be expanding my Hot Toys collection by getting the Batman returns figure, and possibly either Thor or Scarlet Witch. Not sure for either of them, however as I have other things I need to get like a new laptop so I can FINALLY get back to 3d art.

Anyone familiar with Devil Toys? I'm interested to order these two coz it's looks nice. Reminds me of Crossbone Gundams. And seeing that it's a collaboration with QUICCS, might as well support a fellow countryman. ;)

Here's info from Devil Toys' Facebook page.

"Devil Toys is proud to announce the collaboration with Philippines-based Artist -- QUICCS on a series of 1:6 scale projects based on his Bulletpunk Universe, the first of which will be his TEQ63!

Slated for 2-3Q 2016, the first TEQ63 1:6 release will feature a new and updated helmet design based on Quiccs' signature [The Real] TEQ63 look with his early 1:18,1:12 and 1:6th efforts. The figure will also feature custom tailored Bulletpunk-style clothing, some extremely designed weaponry, and a new sidekick that will be revealed in these following months."

1/6 TEQ63 + SRCH K9 Robot

1/6 TEQ63 (Ghost Mode) + SRCH K9 Robot

Photos courtesy of TagHobby.

Would it be cool to have alternate Crossbone Gundam heads for these figures.

I like the design concept behind them; robot head on an organic body. Depending on whether I have anything left over from my recent HT Iron Man pre-orders, I might go for the Ghost Mode edition.