Nekki Basara Guitar

m0n5t3r

Yeah, it isn't a gig instrument, that's for sure. I don't know in how many songs Fukuyama san used it during the last concert, but from his last 4DVD Concert (The Party), he only used it twice, and I really don't like the sound of it. Having said that, I think it will all come down to pricing. I have my "real" guitars, but will definitely buy this if it's within budget, and use it as a display and to fool around @home (My friends know I'm a M7 freak >_>).

Yeah, it isn't a gig instrument, that's for sure. I don't know in how many songs Fukuyama san used it during the last concert, but from his last 4DVD Concert (The Party), he only used it twice, and I really don't like the sound of it. Having said that, I think it will all come down to pricing. I have my "real" guitars, but will definitely buy this if it's within budget, and use it as a display and to fool around @home (My friends know I'm a M7 freak >_>).

I agree...It really does come down to price point. IF it comes to about $300 or less, it may not be so bad. Like you, I have my set of guitars I play with on stage, at home, and around. I use a PRS on stage and sometimes at home, but for home use, I normally use a Gibson Les Paul. For acoustic stuff, I have a Martin that took me forever to find, but it has the sound I want. As I don't think I'll be wearing any fishnet stuff, or tall white boots on a colony ship, so if it's pricey, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

I will say this, it is an ESP guitar, and some of the hardware on it looks pretty pricey, so I doubt it'll be an inexpensive "Fender Squier" priced guitar. In my two cents, I never got the reason why some people drool over ESP guitars. I never thought they had a great sound. The sustain kinda sucks, and compared to the American strat, the Les Paul, or the PRS brands, ESP never measured up to any of those. I will say though, this replica guitar looks sweet, and it makes me think of Totsugeki Love Heart, or Planet Dance.

Edited by Jasonc

Are you expecting the guitar to be priced at equal or less than the VF-17 1/60 ? :-) $300 is unrealistic. Yamato doesn't seem to be too concerned making their valkyrie collectibles attractive in terms of prices so why would they start now with a guitar?!

And even if it is $300 so you can be sure to add some crazy shipping cost (from Japan EMS and regular airmail make little difference for heavy items), and if you live in EU a nice customs charge so the $300 will become double that. Aargh!

My first electric (which I still have, as it was a gift), is a korean custom labeled "Richman" looking something like this, cost around $400. My "expensive" guitar, based on Fukuyama's main axe, Fender American Deluxe Strat, from 2004 ($999), which really has all the sounds I like. I have an Epiphone Hummingbird (~$300) , and my very sweet classical guitar I got recently at "Paracho", Mexico (nice town). I have other guitars around I don't use (mainly for visitors and playing Rocksmith).

I just got my Yamato VF19 kai this week (with Sound Boosters), and yeah I do expect Basara Guitar to be more expensive (although I admit I have no experience with ESP Guitars). Still, might be cheaper than having it custom made (I got a pre-quote for about $3,000 from an American luthier).

Shipping costs... here is the challenge... though I live in a USA territory... we'll see hen the time comes (if it comes).

Are you expecting the guitar to be priced at equal or less than the VF-17 1/60 ? :-) $300 is unrealistic. Yamato doesn't seem to be too concerned making their valkyrie collectibles attractive in terms of prices so why would they start now with a guitar?!

And even if it is $300 so you can be sure to add some crazy shipping cost (from Japan EMS and regular airmail make little difference for heavy items), and if you live in EU a nice customs charge so the $300 will become double that. Aargh!

I have a feeling this is more of a price dictated by ESP, than Yamato. While I do know, and am sure it'll be much more than $300, it's probably what it's worth as far as equipment, features, and so on. Well, maybe in the $400 range, but the point being, is that for me, the sound of an ESP, and the fact that this is more of a discussion piece than an actual instrument, doesn't add up. I wouldn't compare toys to instruments. It's a totally different field, and value and pricing is based on totally different things. For the toys, I know I can buy them, and sell them at around the same price, or more than I paid for them. Instruments are different. You have supply, location of build, tone, and of course, build features (bridge, fret wood, body finish, wood grain, and all that). Then after all that, there usually is a star reference that coincides with making the specific model popular. For example, the strat that Fukuyama uses, is almost identical, if not, is the same that Stevie Ray Vaughn used. It's a well tested American Strat, and has Fender's top components which give it a classic fender sound that people expect. For that, Nekki probably got a good deal on his guitar, as they usually sell for $1200 + here. If it's a vintage model, even more pricey. For my PRS, I spent $4K on it, but again, it's hand made, top wood grains, and special fretboard wood. It's a brand used by many famous guitarists, and the tone is amazing. I've seen some 5 years older, selling for the exact same amount as a new one, because it has all that.

I'm not trying to toot a horn here, but I'd hate for someone to buy this as a "collector's item", and down the line when they try to sell it, can't get what they paid for it. That said, if it's something you plan to keep, all this means zero. The joy of buying something that you really want is a great thing. I will in no way, knock anyone for buying this item. I stand by the fact that it's a beautiful replica. If anyone is wanting to buy one, and learn to play guitar on it, I'm sure I, along with several others here, can suggest comparable alternatives. Fukuyama does use Fender, and they are very good brands. If you want that Fukuyama sound, it's easy to get.

Actually i wouldn't expect to get any sort of authentic sound unless it cost in the thousands. For me it's like like buying a Triforce Mass Effect gun replica - i would not expect it to shoot, but it does have some light up features :-) Any value as a collectible will really be about how it looks, don't you think? Which is pretty much the case with too many other collectibles to list, such as Volks statues that can easily cost 100 000 something YEN and that i can never understand what people find in them....

Edited by Dimis

No tone controls?

With a humbucker by the bridge, and two single coils, there's what looks like a 5 selector tone, and I assume those winged pieses are tone knobs as well. It's probably a bolt on neck, with a single truss rod in it. It's one of those things that you just don't know how it'll sound. Could be decent (like good Squier decent maybe?) or can be one of those that just doesn't stay in tune well. My first Fender Squier could never stay in tune, and after every song, it was in dyer need of retuning. It's all speculation, of course, but who knows...maybe it's got components good enough to play the crap out of.

I've always been about sound. When picking any guitar, I wander for months before making the choice. Whoever gets one of these, if you play guitar a lot, you'll have to let us know how it sounds, and do a full review on it.

With a humbucker by the bridge, and two single coils, there's what looks like a 5 selector tone, and I assume those winged pieses are tone knobs as well. It's probably a bolt on neck, with a single truss rod in it. It's one of those things that you just don't know how it'll sound. Could be decent (like good Squier decent maybe?) or can be one of those that just doesn't stay in tune well. My first Fender Squier could never stay in tune, and after every song, it was in dyer need of retuning. It's all speculation, of course, but who knows...maybe it's got components good enough to play the crap out of.

I've always been about sound. When picking any guitar, I wander for months before making the choice. Whoever gets one of these, if you play guitar a lot, you'll have to let us know how it sounds, and do a full review on it.

I think that's a 5-way pickup selector and probably mimics a standard 5-way Strat pickup selector. I have a Strat with hum/single/single configuration, and if the selector is wired anything like mine, you probably get neck/middle/bridge for positions 1, 3, and 5, and the twangy "out-of-phase" Strat sound in positions 2 and 4. The ad seems to only indicate a single master volume and 5-way pickup selector. I thought maybe one of those blue plastic things was a tone control, but then I realized that would be a really poor design choice, as you wouldn't be able to rotate the knob the entire range due to those fin-like projections getting in the way.

I'm always fiddling with my tone control, so that's why I noticed it didn't have one. I guess you could always add an EQ pedal if you wanted more tone control, but then you probably wouldn't be able to mess with it on the fly while you're playing.

Edited by SuperSenpai

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

pre order where?

I don't know. Here: http://arcadia.ac/ eventually, I guess.

Anybody who can pre order this lmk I still want it and judging br the price I'm hoping its a real fictional guitar

"Hoping". Why don't you judge by the three pages of discussion we have been having right here on this thread instead?

Whats the guitar that he uses in Dynamite 7? is it a gibson?

I don't know, but I've always thought it looked interesting. It is a very small, thin acoustic type.

http://img.youtube.com/vi/9rRTYj6qz7g/0.jpg

I should put up the picture from the other thread right here, too, to make discussion easier.

post-1318-0-56886900-1369531852_thumb.jpg

Also, ESP is a Japanese guitar company, known for their high-end items and they are well-known for making special customs.

Does anyone remember the Mylene Special bass from the 1990s? :)

post-1318-0-98468400-1369531661_thumb.jpg

Edited by Renato

Also, ESP is a Japanese guitar company, known for their high-end items and they are well-known for making special customs.

I see the ESP stickers all around the Musical Instrument Shopping Street near Ochanomizu Sta. :)

I see the ESP stickers all around the Musical Instrument Shopping Street near Ochanomizu Sta. :)

Yep. They're just round the corner from (one of the places) where I work. :) Also a bunch of good record shops and live music venues there, so that whole area is perfect if you're into music. BOMBAA!

(Fender

was just an example of a recognized brand prior to seeing it's ESP) ESP has low end stuff (USA made) and high end(Japan) similar to Ibanez

(made in Korea vs. the high end Japan made stuff) Fender is no different, offering low end and high end gear. so unless you own an ESP

or Fender Master Class at that price point, there's no point in discussing quality control.

ESP is a recognized brand. They were pretty tops on my list back in the 80's and have continued to do well since then. For a Japanese band, it probably makes more sense to go with ESP's custom shop than Fender's.

As to Fender, I'd be more likely to go with ESP's custom shop based simply on the fact that since ESP shows better quality control than Fender at the low and middle end of the price spectrum, they're more likely to give me a better product from their custom shop. As some might say, the shop hasn't been the same since Leo left to work with Music Man, then form G&L.

I don't know. Here: http://arcadia.ac/ eventually, I guess.

"Hoping". Why don't you judge by the three pages of discussion we have been having right here on this thread instead?

I don't know, but I've always thought it looked interesting. It is a very small, thin acoustic type.

http://img.youtube.com/vi/9rRTYj6qz7g/0.jpg

It' a mock up of the Paul Mccartney bass, which is a Hofner. If you're looking for a vintage one, you're probably looking at AT LEAST over $5K easily. They make newer ones, but they're still way up there.

ESP is a recognized brand. They were pretty tops on my list back in the 80's and have continued to do well since then. For a Japanese band, it probably makes more sense to go with ESP's custom shop than Fender's.

Indeed.

Here's Toshihiko Takamizawa's guiter collection made by ESP.
He is a member of The Alfee, and they sang the theme song of "Space Battleship Yamato Fukkatsu-hen." Some of the members here might have heard it.
heart_angel.jpg
rose1.jpg
rose2.jpg
Those Angel guitars are amazing, and he actually plays the one of those things on TV and the stage.

Guest davidwhangchoi

As to Fender, I'd be more likely to go with ESP's custom shop based simply on the fact that since ESP shows better quality control than Fender at the low and middle end of the price spectrum, they're more likely to give me a better product from their custom shop. As some might say, the shop hasn't been the same since Leo left to work with Music Man, then form G&L.

How many signature ESP's do you own? lol

yep, i agree it makes sense to go with a Japanese Brand. makes the most sense..

but to your last comment:

of all the artists mentioned, i guarantee you every single owns a fender or has owned at one time or another, they are iconic.

lastly, doubt you ever owned a custom shop fender that's master built or heard of about quality control issues with one, that's an irrelevant point.

it's not good to assume bc a company offers better quality control in the lower end and mid end range, their custom shop is more likely to give a better quality product over another company's high end line.

They are made in separate places by built with a different set of standards for different markets, materials and craftsmanship.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I just can't justify buying this, being priced like a high end guitar, and possibly being a middle end instrument. There are some things IMO, that just shouldn't mix in real life. Macross style ESP is one of them. It looks cool, but it's about sound/quality/and playability. You wouldn't see me playing that at a concert. If any of you do get this, do post a video of it through a decent amp. I'm interested in hearing how it sounds.

How many signature ESP's do you own? lol

yep, i agree it makes sense to go with a Japanese Brand. makes the most sense..

but to your last comment:

of all the artists mentioned, i guarantee you every single owns a fender or has owned at one time or another, they are iconic.

lastly, doubt you ever owned a custom shop fender that's master built or heard of about quality control issues with one, that's an irrelevant point.

it's not good to assume bc a company offers better quality control in the lower end and mid end range, their custom shop is more likely to give a better quality product over another company's high end line.

They are made in separate places by built with a different set of standards for different markets, materials and craftsmanship.

I'm sure many people own Fenders. Yes, they're iconic. I play both bass and guitar. None of my instruments are Fenders. If I'm ordering a custom shop item, Fender isn't even in the equation. If they can't get it right elsewhere, why the hell would I trust them with thousands? Though I was able to try one (Jazz bass). Instead, I ordered a bass from Fodera via Bass Northwest and have been quite pleased with it. Better than what I'd experienced with the Fender.

fodera_imp-320.jpg

You can probably have one custom made that looks the exact same, with better hardware, for less. Just an option for those who want to use this to take up wall space, especially if there's only going to be 10 made.