All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

The EMP and missiles are honestly not as good as the remote hacking thing, and none of them are as flat out useful as the 60mm cannon. So, like I said, focus on upgrading it so it does max damage and reloads as fast as it can.

As for the helicopters, left trigger fires a vulcan gun that's useless against the tanks, but it can take out the choppers and kill missiles from the stationary missile launchers. So, you can spray the vulcans at the choppers in between cannon shots, and if you have it use the hacking to takeover one of the tanks that fires three shots. In addition to killing stuff for you, it'll give the other baddies something to target besides you, which will help get them off your back.

I guess I'll have to go through more of the main story and get that second upgrade for the 60mm cannon first. I've already maxed out the targeting speed, it being able to kill most tanks with one shot will help tremendously.

And thanks for the heads up on which tank to hack. It can get confusing identifying which tank is what in the heat of battle, but I'll target the 3-missile tank as soon as I see one.

BTW, I just stumbled onto something interesting; the EMP's sometimes also cause those annoying helicopters to crash.

Guest davidwhangchoi

this is shaping up to be a great summer of announcements: though it's for 2016 i'm glad it's getting a release:

After spending about 30 hours or so in Elite: Dangerous, I think I can pass a verdict.

It's great! With come catches.

First, the great stuff. IT'S SPACE! It does really capture the vastness of space, and the feeling of making your own way in the galaxy. With time and money (as well as a fuel scoop), you can go just about anywhere in the galaxy. I had a blast just picking out a random star and just wandering over just to see what I could find. It's also really pretty to look at.

The ships themselves fill various niches, and most can be made into quite competent ships well suited for their various purposes.

If you have a Saitek X-55, there's a default control scheme built right into the game. All I had to do was reassign the yaw axis to my rudder pedals. If you don't have an X-55, then reassigning controls is nice and simple: Select the control, and push the button or key you want that control assigned to.

The catch. There's no story. It's literally, here's 1000 credits, a ship, and the galaxy. Off you go. Also, you don't really know what you're getting into when you select an assassination mission worth 80,000 credits. You might get lucky and your target is flying a wimpy ship... Or there might be something armed to the teeth that will destroy you in 3 seconds flat (hint: Don't do combat missions with the basic Sidewinder armed with the basic weapons, you'll fail hard). Missions are very generalized, as they're randomly generated, a consequence of the lack of story. This is not entirely bad, as you usually wind up going places you've never been to. One other thing that bugs me. Why do I need a permit to enter the Sol system? All I want to do is buzz the rings of Saturn!

The bad. Micro-transactions. Want to put a different paint scheme on your ship? Pay up! It isn't cheap either, since the ship paint schemes are in British Pounds. As I write this, the Canadian Dollar is worth about half of a British Pound, so a 5 pound paint pack costs about $10 or so in the end. It wouldn't be so bad if the paint apps were about 1 pound or less. However, most of the paint packages get you 6 different looks for one ship, so it's entirely up to you if you want a red Cobra.

In short, I think the game is really worth the $69.99 CAD initial price tag. Considering that it's in a state of evolution (much like Diablo 3), the game does get better as time goes on. Given that this game is available on Steam, you can always wait for a sale if you're on the fence.

Yaddayadda PC master race etc.

Seriously, if you're working on a small budget, Windows is the best target.

Relatively large market, the cost of development entry is much lower, and you aren't beholden to the whims of anyone else.

Now, if THIS Kickstarter generates a shitton of money (as it almost certainly will), they'd be fools not to direct some of that to licensing fees and the "quality assurance" review process needed to get it on a console.

Also, I'm pretty sure they have behind-the-scenes funding lined up, and that sponsor will most likely want PSXB porting regardless.

Been trying to get 100% on Arkham Knight for the so-called true ending, and this last Riddler trophy is really pissing me off. It's the one where you start at the back of the GCPD and race to some really high pillar in Founder's Island. Could never do it fast enough on the Batmobile.

I tried super-ejecting (fully upgraded) and gliding across the water over the Lady of Gotham statue, but the gliding is so damn slow that it's just as bad as using the Batmobile, if not slower. I nearly got there in time once while gliding, but fumbled in a panic, and dropped off the top of the pillar as I was trying to grab the trophy. Haven't been able to get there fast enough again after that one time.

If anyone has any tips and advice on how to get this damn trophy, I'd really appreciate it.

Been trying to get 100% on Arkham Knight for the so-called true ending, and this last Riddler trophy is really pissing me off. It's the one where you start at the back of the GCPD and race to some really high pillar in Founder's Island. Could never do it fast enough on the Batmobile.

I tried super-ejecting (fully upgraded) and gliding across the water over the Lady of Gotham statue, but the gliding is so damn slow that it's just as bad as using the Batmobile, if not slower. I nearly got there in time once while gliding, but fumbled in a panic, and dropped off the top of the pillar as I was trying to grab the trophy. Haven't been able to get there fast enough again after that one time.

If anyone has any tips and advice on how to get this damn trophy, I'd really appreciate it.

The best tip I can give you is to watch the "true" ending on Youtube and move on. It's what I did.

The best tip I can give you is to watch the "true" ending on Youtube and move on. It's what I did.

I should have logged in earlier to check for replies. You're absolutely right, the best thing to do is to watch the ending on youtube...because it was hardly worth the effort.

Anyways, I finally toughed it out and got that damn trophy (pressing L2 gave me a level view of Batman gliding and somehow helped me keep a straighter line), and spent the rest of the day completing all side missions. The so-called "true ending" was quite underwhelming. I expected all loose ends to be tied up and the fates of the key characters more drawn out and explained in greater detail--it's supposed to be the last Arkham game, after all.

It was fun and a pretty infuriating challenge (mostly the Riddler challenges and militia tank battles), but I have to say it deserved a much better ending.

The DLC's, as short as they were, were pretty fun though. Wouldn't recommend them unless they're free, as both combined took a mere 20 minutes to finish.

Edited by GU-11

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of HTPC/Steambox users cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Steambox is still too new so don't expect it. Also...Battlefront will be on Origin; EA's answer to Steam. So no chance in hell will it be coming to Steam. As for no split screen, meh.

Millions?

I originally wrote hundreds. :D But, then I decided to stay true to the Obi-wan quote.

Steambox is still too new so don't expect it. Also...Battlefront will be on Origin; EA's answer to Steam. So no chance in hell will it be coming to Steam. As for no split screen, meh.

Steambox is catching the wave of a progressive trend.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_Local_Multiplayer_Games

I think Serious Sam might have paved the way on the PC, but maybe another company got there first. Anyway, split-screen couch gaming should be old hat by now. The only reason to drop it is...EA.

Edited by technoblue

What's a Steambox?

Steambox could refer a Steam Machine, which is a small form-factor computer, so far from either Alienware or Syber, starting around $450 and going as high as $1500, that may either run SteamOS or Windows and is intended to be used on a TV with a Steam Controller (or Xbox controller). If it runs SteamOS, it can play games that can run on SteamOS, and if it runs Windows it can of course run anything that runs on a similarly-specced PC. Whether it runs Steam on Windows, or SteamOS, it should be able to stream games over a local network from another PC via Steam In-Home Streaming.

Steambox could maybe also refer to Steam Link, a small $50 box ($100 bundled with a Steam controller) with an HDMI out, an ethernet port, and a pair of USB ports, that simply allows streaming from a gaming PC on the network to the Steam Link.

Both Steam Machines and Steam Link are part of Valve's effort to expand PC gaming intot the living room.

Anyway, split-screen couch gaming should be old hat by now. The only reason to drop it is...EA.

Yeah, but for PC, which is what the blog post mentions, meh. Split screen will be available for consoles but not PC. Meh.

Both Steam Machines and Steam Link are part of Valve's effort to expand PC gaming into the living room.

The great thing as well is you can build your own Steam machine. Which has been a boom to the SFF PC market.

Build your own Steam Machine

The great thing as well is you can build your own Steam machine. Which has been a boom to the SFF PC market.

Yeah. And if you want to be extra lazy, you don't even need to install SteamOS. Pretty much any computer that can run Steam (if not the games) can be set up for in-home streaming. My gaming PC is currently in the 2nd bedroom, but I have a Mac mini hooked up to the TV in the living room. It runs Steam, I have it working with a 360 controller, so I'm set.

I still don't get the point of Steam Machines, at all, who are they supposed to be for? Some people say they are for those who want a PC like experience without as much of the hassle, basically ease of use, so a console right? Then some say they are more for tech guys to just have fun with, they are easily modified mini PCs, but they cost an extravagant amount compared to, say, building a PC on New Egg, once again, I get a better deal out of building a PC, and it would cost half the price. I'm still not getting it, I probably never will, it seems like a pointless, expensive middle ground between console and PC gaming. It's like PC gaming minus having an actual functional PC, but you still get pricing that is comparable to standard PC gaming. Yeah I'm lost, I give up, I'm just not seeing the appeal.

Steambox could refer a Steam Machine, which is a small form-factor computer, so far from either Alienware or Syber, starting around $450 and going as high as $1500, that may either run SteamOS or Windows and is intended to be used on a TV with a Steam Controller (or Xbox controller). If it runs SteamOS, it can play games that can run on SteamOS, and if it runs Windows it can of course run anything that runs on a similarly-specced PC. Whether it runs Steam on Windows, or SteamOS, it should be able to stream games over a local network from another PC via Steam In-Home Streaming.

Steambox could maybe also refer to Steam Link, a small $50 box ($100 bundled with a Steam controller) with an HDMI out, an ethernet port, and a pair of USB ports, that simply allows streaming from a gaming PC on the network to the Steam Link.

Both Steam Machines and Steam Link are part of Valve's effort to expand PC gaming intot the living room.

So, a mediocre PC with a crappy controller? And they expect this to sell?

I still don't get the point of Steam Machines, at all, who are they supposed to be for? Some people say they are for those who want a PC like experience without as much of the hassle, basically ease of use, so a console right? Then some say they are more for tech guys to just have fun with, they are easily modified mini PCs, but they cost an extravagant amount compared to, say, building a PC on New Egg, once again, I get a better deal out of building a PC, and it would cost half the price. I'm still not getting it, I probably never will, it seems like a pointless, expensive middle ground between console and PC gaming. It's like PC gaming minus having an actual functional PC, but you still get pricing that is comparable to standard PC gaming. Yeah I'm lost, I give up, I'm just not seeing the appeal.

I'm honestly not sure, either. I think some of the impetus behind them is a drive to divorce Steam and PC gaming from Windows, but if Valve can't get developers on board because they keep using Windows-specific stuff like DirectX, then I don't think it's enough.

On some level, I think it's supposed to be for the PC-curious console gamer. A $450 box is console-ish in price, right? It hooks up to the TV, comes on fast with a non-Windows console-ish OS, and plays with a controller. But honestly, I think there are too many caveats for that to work... I mean, it only plays games that work on SteamOS. That includes some high-profile games like Borderlands, Civ V, DOTA 2, Pillars of Eternity, etc, but it's honestly mostly indie games at the moment. No Arkham, no Far Cry, no Fallout, no Deus Ex, etc. Which is probably for the best, since I'm not sure how well a lot of PC games will run on an i3 and an unnamed Nvidia GPU.

I don't think they're for serious PC gamers, either. They'll probably get a better experience by using the much cheaper Steam Link and streaming from a more powerful gaming rig they already own.

I don't honestly know. I think the Steam Link is cheap enough that it might do ok for PC gamers who want to play their game on a TV without stuffing their tower in their entertainment center. But as it stands, yeah, the Steam Machines seem to limited to win over console gamers, and too underpowered for PC gamers.

Edited by mikeszekely

This is my definition.

My living room PC is a general use HTPC/gaming PC that has seen many iterations. The first was an old beige dual-boot XP/Linux box that pre-dated PCI Express. I kept it in a nearby closet and connected the GPU to a CRT television using an S-Video cable just to see if I could get a picture. It worked, but fine text was not legible. I did have fun playing music and running visualizations with the old Winamp milkdrop plugin, though. The lower resolution didn't ruin the effect.

Today, my living room PC runs 8GB of memory, a Haswell CPU and a GTX 760, which allows it to play all games at 1080p with high detail. Physically, the living room PC is smaller than my desktop and that allows me to have it out with other components. Both the living room PC and the desktop PC are remarkably quiet to my ears, which is a big bonus, especially when watching movies on the living room PC. It simply doesn't draw attention to itself, even in the hushed moments of a tense/dramatic scene.

For me, what started as a curiosity turned into a mission for convenience. The HTPC/living room PC specifically contains installations for platformers, JRPGs, rogue-likes, and certain action titles that are game pad friendly. If a title is game pad friendly and it also has multiplayer support (shared screen or split screen), then it jumps to the top of my wish list. I just find it fun to have these games available when I have company. I also run emulators, like Dolphin, to play old console games through the box. For the case of Dolphin, this provides another benefit by improving the visuals for my Gamecube and Wii discs instead of just emulating the output exactly.

Other titles like simulations, turn-based games, and first-person shooters are still loaded on the desktop. I still prefer to use a keyboard and mouse or stick and throttle with these. There are some older games that I have to use a keyboard and mouse because of nostalgia reasons too. It just wouldn't feel right going with any other controller, because I beat the game years ago with the kb+mouse. :p

As with other pre-built PCs, there are different tiers for pre-built Steam Machines. If you have the time and know-how to do it yourself, it is probably more cost effective to go that route. For those that do not, there are high-tier options with high-tier components too. They just come with a high-tier price.

So I just discovered Forza 4 and then my launch date '360 decided to RRoD on me. I have questions:

*will the Xbox One become backwards compatible with this game at some point? I keep hearing different things about this subject altogether. The games? The dates? The limitations? This would be a reason for me to finally give in to this system.

*if I decide to buy another '360, which version do I get? The new slim one? Is that compatible with my current '360 hard drive? Which '360 models have an HDMI port? Should I even bother with this console or is this platform a lost cause?

*whether I get one or the other console, will I have to re-earn all of my achievements, especially with Forza? I only signed up for the free version of Live.

Any input is appreciated...

So I just discovered Forza 4 and then my launch date '360 decided to RRoD on me. I have questions:

*will the Xbox One become backwards compatible with this game at some point? I keep hearing different things about this subject altogether. The games? The dates? The limitations? This would be a reason for me to finally give in to this system.

Yes-ish. First, it's only a beta at the moment, and won't go live for everyone until the fall. Second, it's emulated. Think like the Xbox 360's ability to play original Xbox games. Not all games will work, and not every game that works will do so perfectly. No word on what games will or will not be compatible yet, either. So if you're banking on playing Forza 4, you may be better off getting a new 360.

*if I decide to buy another '360, which version do I get? The new slim one?

That depends on whether or not you want a brand new one, or a used one. All you have for new ones is the new slim, in either a 4GB model for around $180 or a 250GB model packed with some games for $250. If you're ok with used, I think you're ok with either the new slim or the old slim, just not the original body-style.

Is that compatible with my current '360 hard drive?

None of them. When they switched to the slim, they switched their semi-proprietary HDD design.

Which '360 models have an HDMI port?

Pretty sure they all do.

Should I even bother with this console or is this platform a lost cause?

I'm not sure what you mean. Your current console is pretty much toast. You can try to repair it, but AFAIK you'd merely be delaying the inevitable. Is the Xbox 360 in general a lost cause? Yes, in the sense that there aren't a lot of new games for it that aren't also being released on the Xbox One. Yes in the sense that it's in serious need of a price drop (to say, $99 for the 4GB console, $150 for the 250GB). But if you have a library of games for it that you want to play, then why not get another? Mine's still hooked up, although I can't say as I've played anything but Rock Band on it for maybe two years.

*whether I get one or the other console, will I have to re-earn all of my achievements, especially with Forza? I only signed up for the free version of Live.

Achievements, no. Digital games you've bought, no (assuming you're buying a 360). Just sign in to the new console with your Xbox Live/Microsoft ID. Last time I had to replace a console I think it even replaced the hardware ID in the license so I can still play my downloaded stuff offline.

Your game saves are probably toast, though, unless you can track down an Xbox 360 Transfer Cable. I don't remember then being particularly common when I needed one, and that was two years before the Xbox One launched. If you can find one, though, it's very easy to use. You just take the hard drive from the dead console, snap it onto the appropriate connector, plug the other end into the working 360's USB port, and a popup should walk you through it.

What I meant by the console being toast, was in regards to the question of buying a 360 slim and/or buying a One. If I can play Forza 4 on the One I'll abandon the 360 and just get the new system. If not, I'll just hunt down a new-used 360 and just swap the HD's. I could buy the 360 slim and avoid the possibility of RRoD'ing again, but that box is just too ugly. Thanks for the info Mike....

It's worth noting there's three case revisions of the 360. The Slim had an angular cut-in, and the current version is very VCR-like in appearance, making it match the One.

Yeah I guess there's the original, the S and now the E model of 360. I did find the data transfer cable and its not too expensive, so I'll buy that and port everything over to a new Slim 360. I don't like the form factor of the slim but I can't blow money on another possibly RRoD'ing machine. I just hope everything ports over like it's supposed to.

Wow. I'm actually spending money on a NEW Xbox 360. It's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of...

Wow. I'm actually spending money on a NEW Xbox 360. It's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of...

Given the limited compatibility of the XBox One, it makes a lot of sense to me. If it's like the 360, they'll do a few compatibility updates, then stop. And then start selling emulated 360 games on the X1 online store, without enabling these same games in the backward-compatibility features.