1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

Correction: the MII timeline games HAVE a VF-4 with Super and Strike packs. HOWEVER, that was created before Kawamori-san finalized the VF-4 battroid and GERWALK designs for MDM:VF-X (which is what the VF-4G toy is based on).

The creators have also explained why it doesn't need Super Parts. See here for starters: http://www.macrossro...g37738#msg37738

"Mass Fire" is a bit subjective, too. Super Parts were originally created for the VF-1 to compensate for lack of space endurance (read: fuel). As the VF-4 has more than enough internal space for fuel, it doesn't need FAST packs/Super Parts. The supplemental armour and munitions are just a bonus. The top image here has a VF-4 loaded w/ mass firepower: http://www.macrossro.../VF-4/VF-4.html

On the other hand, one must keep in mind the role of the VF-4: long range interceptor. The charged particle beam guns and long-range missiles it has are more than enough to deal with opponents at range. Close in defence? Some sources have indicated that the VF-4 works in tandem with the VF-1, and the VF-1 covers that role (ie: mass-fire of micro-missiles).

All that said, that doesn't stop us from making our own VF-4 FAST pack designs. Here's a set I made, about a decade before I learned that the VF-4 doesn't need them:

Fighter: http://studiootaking...142336#/d11d6a4

Battroid: http://studiootaking...142336#/d11damm

Those Fast Pack designs of yours are really cool looking actually. I could see somebody attempting a Mod on their VF-4 to your design. I think if you were going to attach packs to the VF-4 your design makes the most sense really.

On/Off topic at the same time, I looked through those other VF-4 threads and am intrigued I've never heard/seen this MacII Alternate Timeline VF-4 before. Are there pictures of it anywhere besides that one screen from a video game?

Cross-linked pic from the 1/72 Wave Phalanx thread, since I'm not sure this pic appeared in this quality here before... and I've got a question for anyone who might know.

bdc062189176190.jpg

This one clearly shows a more refined version of the arm section, along with a detailed tail and conformal missile mount, but I'm wondering.. what exactly are those missiles supposed to look like?

Most pictures I've seen seem to show the missile with a standard back-end exhaust, and the four panels on the tail end look like pop out fins. But in this case, it looks like the missile is entirely streamlined, and the four darker panels look like they might be separate directional nozzles.

Anyone have detail drawings of those missiles that indicate one or the other as correct? Or maybe they're just two types of missiles it can mount? I honestly never really thought about it before now, but if the VF-4 was meant more for space than atmosphere, the multi-exhaust design does makes more sense.

Edited by Chronocidal

Absolutely, I just can't seem to get there at the moment.. could be my work computer not letting me for some stupid reason. Our network loves to block random things.

I can look later when I get home, just wondering which is actually correct. ^_^

Edited by Chronocidal

Just a basic stand, to display it in-flight. The VF-4 is all about fighter mode, heck we almost never see it with landing gear deployed.

As for the missiles---they look more detailed than any other representation I've ever seen. I'm pleasantly surprised. To me they have that "this is how they were always intended to/should look" aspect to them---as if they'd never really been fully detailed out in drawings, but this is the original vision----seen for the first time.

Why not 1/60? Then it'd be in scale.

Actually, a 1/60 bridge bust with a clear stand mount to have the VF-4 flying alongside would be rather awesome. Just so it includes a Captain Hayase figure saluting out the window. ^_^

Edited by Chronocidal

This one clearly shows a more refined version of the arm section, along with a detailed tail and conformal missile mount, but I'm wondering.. what exactly are those missiles supposed to look like?

How about a Musashiya resin kit?

post-12411-0-27088700-1336873589_thumb.jpg

Looks like the 4 holes are the correct ones.