1/32nd Captian's BEAST build

mslz22

Mike, would it be out of place of me to say that I'm both honored and very impressed with your workmanship?

Thanks, it means a lot coming from everyone here but hey, your the captain right?

Not to sound too corny but it really is a dream kit, and a long time coming, I remember being so excited in the early days of my time at MW....I mean around the time of the first hasegawa kits and 1/60 yamatos (the first versions!!!) The project was well underway before I had even done my first scratchbuilding and it was one of the things that really made me want to create my own stuff. So thanks for bringing it to life....

mike

I wish he could pull some of those VF1D 1/48 conversion kits from those shadows =P

I actually purchased the pattern for the conversion kit.....I just finished the molds recently. i am trying the resin that the Capt used as well as another resin that is supposed to be closer to ABS and not as brittle as the Task stuff. I am also going to cast the canopies in crystal clear as opposed to the translucent stuff, more of a paint but worth it IMO. Stand by for a for sale thread in a few weeks.

mike

I actually purchased the pattern for the conversion kit.....I just finished the molds recently. i am trying the resin that the Capt used as well as another resin that is supposed to be closer to ABS and not as brittle as the Task stuff. I am also going to cast the canopies in crystal clear as opposed to the translucent stuff, more of a paint but worth it IMO. Stand by for a for sale thread in a few weeks.

mike

you are my hero

• 4 weeks later...

I've revised the leg on the inbit pattern that goes with this kit, much happier with it, the old legs were too thin. already molded the lower leg and will get the new upper leg in a mold this week. Topside cannon pattern is just about done too, will be nice to have a couple of bad guys to go with Capt's kit. I think I got the scale just about right, hard to tell from the pic because the inbit is in the foreground but the top of the inbit head is just about the same height as the crotch of the soldier mode beast....

thanks

mike

006-11_zpsf6297273.jpg

008-9_zpscfe886bc.jpg

Always nice to see when Mospeada baddies are made, thanks for taking the time to do it. I never new why there were never any baddies made. The best thing I had as a kid was the Matchbox one from Robotech.

• 2 weeks later...

version 2 of the inbit mock up, still missing the very tip detail on the cannons and the vent details. This is just hot glued together so please excuse the wonkiness...and the untrimmed pour spouts in places.

thanks

mike

017-2_zpsda81a72c.jpg

015-8_zps58906a97.jpg

008-9_zps70ad1fe1.jpg

006-11_zpscafb1b44.jpg

The claws are a bit long, but they can be trimmed back. I made them as "fully extended". This was a tricky mech to get where i wanted it, and i am still not sure it's 100% what i would want but i kind of need to just get it done. Part of the issue is the contradictions in the animation, from the show and the line art. Sometimes the arms almost reach the feet, sometimes they are closer to the kneed. sometimes the mid arm connects to the very tip of the "paw", sometimes it connects to the inner paw.....same type of stuff with the legs. I really wound up picking some design elements that made sense in terms of the proportions that I thought made sense in the way that the thing would move, swipe at stuff, pick things up etc. I also was hoping to give it a slightly more aggressive and mean look to it, so i thought the longer claws on both the feet and hands made it look a bit more menacing, but i know it may not be for everyone..

thanks

miek

The claws look to be just a shade over-sized for the mecha's body. But it's Invid and we desperatly need more Invid mecha :)

The claws are a bit long, but they can be trimmed back. I made them as "fully extended". This was a tricky mech to get where i wanted it, and i am still not sure it's 100% what i would want but i kind of need to just get it done. Part of the issue is the contradictions in the animation, from the show and the line art. Sometimes the arms almost reach the feet, sometimes they are closer to the kneed. sometimes the mid arm connects to the very tip of the "paw", sometimes it connects to the inner paw.....same type of stuff with the legs. I really wound up picking some design elements that made sense in terms of the proportions that I thought made sense in the way that the thing would move, swipe at stuff, pick things up etc. I also was hoping to give it a slightly more aggressive and mean look to it, so i thought the longer claws on both the feet and hands made it look a bit more menacing, but i know it may not be for everyone..

thanks

miek

Personally I like the meaner look. I'd love to have several in 1/48 scale and at least 1 in 1/10 scale. I'd probably buy one in the 1/32 scale just to have an awesome inbit if I knew that was the only scale it was going to be produced in.

Thanks, IMO the meaner more aggressive look is also needed to stand next to the Capt's beast here, i will post a pic later of it next to it.

I do really, really want to do one in 1/12 or so scale to go with the old ride armor kits, I'm sure it would pass as 1/10 if only because using this as a launching point for scale this is a bit oversized for the "official" stats. That is because it is really a companion kit specifically to the Capt's kit here. In some ways this 1/32 was really good to use as a maquette for a bigger one, do work out the bugs/proportions etc.

1/48 is less likely only because i do not personally own anything in 1/48. Either a 1/12 or 1/48 would still be a bit away, at least a year or more only because of a long list of stuff i want and have to do....

thanks

mike

Personally I like the meaner look. I'd love to have several in 1/48 scale and at least 1 in 1/10 scale. I'd probably buy one in the 1/32 scale just to have an awesome inbit if I knew that was the only scale it was going to be produced in.