Macross Valkyries scales

meninge

Plicit mihi?

Ack, sorry. I have the screenshots, just haven't written the descriptions for them yet. I'll go ahead and show the pics now.

81021018yr2.th.pngthpix.gif61566724ih2.th.pngthpix.gif65130325qi4.th.png96723654ai1.th.pngthpix.gif

1. Convert image into RBG from greyscale

2. Set top layer to multiply

3. Add alpha layer

4. Add one white layer at the bottom and one transparent one above it to draw one. All your color will go on the transparent one

OOOOHHH waw it seems to be very useful, which program is that???

Please tell me, maybe i'll use it too.

Teach us, TALOS!!

It's for GIMP, available from here for free. http://www.gimp.org/

It can do things like this: On the right part of the image is just a plain fill using paths. On the left is fill with shading and highlighting added in too.

vf0abase2at5.th.pngthpix.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello all.

As a complete noob to this forum, I salute you.

As a fan of Macross who is still learning his mecha, I salute you as well.

Would it be possible to get these scale charts with the NAME of the Valks depicted in it?

Like I said, I am still learning them models and I can't ID them all with just looking...

Very please?

Thanks.

Lobo.

• 1 year later...

*dusts off thread*

Since I just updated my VF size chart with two new models, I though I would start posting it in here. It's obviously still unfinished, half of the planes are in boilerplate status (black silhouettes) and several models are missing.

vfsizecomparison.th.png

Talos, are you certain of the size of the VF-0D's head camera module? not only does it seem huge compared to the VF-0A, but it's size also makes its beam barrel directly in line with the line-of-fire from the GU-9 gunpod. I thought the 0D's camera was basically a variant of the 0A's?

Talos, are you certain of the size of the VF-0D's head camera module? not only does it seem huge compared to the VF-0A, but it's size also makes its beam barrel directly in line with the line-of-fire from the GU-9 gunpod. I thought the 0D's camera was basically a variant of the 0A's?

That's an unmodified copy of the Hasegawa VF-0D model kit's side view. Trust me, I've thought the same about the gunpod. I can only assume that the beam barrel raises up when the gunpod fires. When i get around to going back to the VF-0s and modding them to increase detail and such, I'll definitely take a look at the head. A quick glance at the wonderful VF-0B box art seems to show that the head is too deep.

Thanks for pointing that out!

*dusts off thread*

Since I just updated my VF size chart with two new models, I though I would start posting it in here. It's obviously still unfinished, half of the planes are in boilerplate status (black silhouettes) and several models are missing.

vfsizecomparison.th.png

Is the VF-2SS really that tiny?

Graham

The VF-0D is fine. All valk gunpods are gatling guns---if the firing location is the "top" barrel of the gunpod like would make sense for its mounting location, that's the "bottom" of the pod's barrels in fighter mode---and is clear of the head laser.

Actually, I think the laser's actually clear of any barrel position--though far too close for comfort for the closest one if the plane's diving...

Is the VF-2SS really that tiny?

Graham

Yeah, it is. Seto calculated it out for me a while back and came up with the size I'm using there, 13.505m. 2.3m longer then where I have the VF-9, based on info from Mr. March.

The VF-0D is fine. All valk gunpods are gatling guns---if the firing location is the "top" barrel of the gunpod like would make sense for its mounting location, that's the "bottom" of the pod's barrels in fighter mode---and is clear of the head laser.

Actually, I think the laser's actually clear of any barrel position--though far too close for comfort for the closest one if the plane's diving...

True, very true. I had forgotten about that. It's what I get for posting after midnight. :lol: Comparing the head to the VF-0B box art painting, the panel line closet to the top of the head should be closer to the kink in the intake. A little shallower then the side view.

• 4 weeks later...

*dusts off thread*

vfsizecomparison.th.png

Will you be adding the VF-2JA Icarus to your chart as well please?

Fighter mode length 15.8 meters B))

Will you be adding the VF-2JA Icarus to your chart as well please?

Fighter mode length 15.8 meters B))

Oh yes, but of course. Just have to draw the side view from scratch....which will take some time. The VF-2JA is already long-planned.

the side view of the vf2ja appears In the ova number 2 or 3.

:D

Oh, I know. I took a screencap of that scene for that exact purpose a couple years ago. Unfortunately it's not the most lineart-accurate side view ever. (The woes of traditionally-drawn and, especially in Macross II's case, cheap animation) I'll draw it myself sometime.

• 7 months later...

Very nice job, Talos. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Reivaj, I'm glad you like them. I've updated it quite a bit since then, but I want to finish the VF-25 before I post a new copy. I've since added the YF-24, VF-25, and YF-29 to the chart.

• 8 months later...

QUOTE (meninge @ Nov 6 2008, 12:03 PM)

supermechachartho1.gif

When one looks at the RT comparison, it makes one wonder how the Invid could have possibly been a threat to the Zentreadi. The giants would be stomping those bugs outta existence!

An excellent reference. The only ones I have a problem with (conceptually) are the Reguld and Glaug. Anime-magic and change-as-needed-perspectives factor aside, at that size shown they just would not have the internal volume/space to accomodate a Zentraedi, much less the armor, controls, screens, ammunition, fuel, electronics, hydraulics, etc.

For me, the best and definitive reference for the proportions of the Regult to the VF is from "The Big Escape," when Hikaru, Misa, Max and Kakizaki are retrieved in their stolen battle pod by Roy and 2 brownie 1A's [da**it, why can't I find any screen caps from that one? ep 12: 22:53 - 23:00]. It is clearly shown to be big enough to accomodate even a Valkyrie inside.

ed: "Broken Heart," is also another excellent reference; although that ep too, suffers from inconsistencies in scales at various points. But I think it's safe to say that the Reguld and Glaug are roughly the same size as a Monster Mk II [ep 32: 15:50 - 16:15]. That's what looks "right." And it's from the original show, so that's good enough for me.

Edited by reddsun1

An excellent reference. The only ones I have a problem with (conceptually) are the Reguld and Glaug. Anime-magic and change-as-needed-perspectives factor aside, at that size shown they just would not have the internal volume/space to accomodate a Zentraedi, much less the armor, controls, screens, ammunition, fuel, electronics, hydraulics, etc.

I think Rigaado is alright. The Guraaji needs to be made somewhat larger (the VF-1 was designed to be the same size as the Zentraadi, so I'm basing the scale on that). The power suits are the ones that are oversized. the male should be reduced approximately 1/4 to 1/6, and the female one slightly less.

For me, the best and definitive reference for the proportions of the Regult to the VF is from "The Big Escape," when Hikaru, Misa, Max and Kakizaki are retrieved in their stolen battle pod by Roy and 2 brownie 1A's [da**it, why can't I find any screen caps from that one? ep 12: 22:53 - 23:00]. It is clearly shown to be big enough to accomodate even a Valkyrie inside.

ed: "Broken Heart," is also another excellent reference; although that ep too, suffers from inconsistencies in scales at various points. But I think it's safe to say that the Reguld and Glaug are roughly the same size as a Monster Mk II [ep 32: 15:50 - 16:15]. That's what looks "right." And it's from the original show, so that's good enough for me.

One thing I find interesting about that picture linked above is the bizarre proportions of many of the Macross mecha. The Reguld and Glaug depicted above are really far off from the official schematics. Most likely the people that were drawing those pictures lacked proper reference. Comparing them to the following pictures, you can see the differences (which ironically, make the accommodation problem even more pronounced).

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/reguld/reguld-schematics.gif

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/glaug/glaug-schematics.gif

Regarding scale, to say the size of the Zentradi and their mecha have been depicted inconsistently is to put it mildy. Even official information on the matter seems to have changed over time and the anime depicts the Zentradi in wildly dramatic fashion. In one of the later episodes Kamjin and LapLamiz are shown so large compared to humans like Kaifun and Minmay that the Zentradi would have to be well over 20 meters tall! One possible reason the Zentradi mecha may appear to be sized so "small" could be because the Zentradi were once sized at only 8 1/2 meters tall according to an early size comparison chart for SDF Macross (http://www.macross2.net/m3/sizecharts/sizechart-1.gif). At that size, they'd have no trouble being accommodated inside a 15-meter-tall Reguld or Glaug. But it's clear this 8.5 meter size wasn't consistently followed, but then again, neither was any of the other sizes :)

If you're interested, I wrote an analysis of Zentradi height and their comparison to each other (and their mecha). You can find it in the link below:

http://www.macross2.net/m3/forfansonly/zentradiheight.html

I'd be interested to know what your impression of the Zentradi size.

The internal and the external views--as depicted in the charts--just don't seem to match up to me, for some reason. Anime-magic and perspective aside, the outside drawings just look to me like they need to be bigger to provide enough internal volume for inner workings/equipment. The guy depicted in the lower left corner of the internal view chart just barely fits within the confines of the pod's profile [and the pod looks even smaller in the above external chart]. That doesn't account for much of anything else, like his seat; console; monitor(s); dials; knobs; etc. He might as well be fighting in a cardboard box.

sizechart-1.gif

reguld-cockpit.gif

Edited by reddsun1