AKIRA LIVE ACTION MOVIE = Life Support?

I wonder what they're going to change the names to? I mean they have to right? Kaneda-> Ryder, Tetsuo -> Maurice, Akira -> Ikea (product placement)

come on, you honestly think they'd be able to pull off yelling "MAURICEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!" for two hours? :p

If Robert Pattinson hadn't been in Eclipse, you know I would have thought perhaps he might bring something to this, his name is just tainted now. Never the less, Akira has always been inextricably linked to Tokyo for me. I can't understand how they can transplant it without ripping out its heart. It is NOT a western story. Putting it in NY just shows zero respect for the story.

I've heard they tried to do the very same with Harry Potter (making him an American boy living in Manhattan and so on) and J.K. Rowling stood very firmly against it. The studios will always try to stick to the formulas they think work best, such as having EVERY fantasy/adventure/science fiction blockbuster take place in New York (why they think that way is beyond me), so I guess keeping the integrity of the original piece depends in part on whether the owner is willing to play hard ball with the studio or just take the money and run.

Except when the story actually takes place and makes sense in New York, they replace it. Iron Man (Manhattan to Malibu). Punisher (Hell's Kitchen to Florida... I mean seriously. Frank effing Castle! FLORIDA!!!). I guess those really dark mysterious brooding heroes should get out to the beach more often.

Except when the story actually takes place and makes sense in New York, they replace it. Iron Man (Manhattan to Malibu). Punisher (Hell's Kitchen to Florida... I mean seriously. Frank effing Castle! FLORIDA!!!). I guess those really dark mysterious brooding heroes should get out to the beach more often.

IIRC Tony actually had a house in Cali (not sure of the exact location) that looked just like the exterior of the house from the movies. It was during the whole Armor Wars timeline when he had the Red and Silver armor.

Re: the proposed changes for the live action Akira...NO.

Edit to add;

1168719-shapeimage_2_1__super.jpg

http://www.comicvine.com/tony-starks-house/34-56706/all-images/108-359584/shapeimage_2_1_/105-1168719/

-b.

Edited by Kanedas Bike

• 1 month later...

I feel that the only way to make this work is to script a scifi/dystopian film somewhat loosely based on Akira. They should just never mention that Akira is related in anyway to the project, so that only the most hardcore will make the connection, and go see it to check it out. (It would probably still suck) Then this will trigger more virality by having people argue on the boards whether or not it's actually based on Akira.

Past Successes of this film-making model.

- The Departed is based on the HK film Internal Affairs.

- Apocalypse Now is a modern adaptation of the short story Heart of Darkness.

- Children of Men is a very loose adaptation of Half Life II.

... ok just kidding about the last one . :p

Rumors swirling that Keanu Reeves is vying for the role of Kaneda.

It seems that somehow anytime there's a Hollywood adaption of an anime in the "works", Keanu get's mentioned by the media.

But he'd be a terrible choice. He's a bad actor and about 20 years too old for the role.

It seems that somehow anytime there's a Hollywood adaption of an anime in the "works", Keanu get's mentioned by the media.

But he'd be a terrible choice. He's a bad actor and about 20 years too old for the role.

Meh, since when has that ever stopped Hollywood? <_<

• 2 months later...

In the early 1990s, Kodansha Ltd. was in negotiation with Sony Pictures to produce a live-action remake of the film.[citation needed] A decade later, talk that Warner Brothers had acquired rights to the property surfaced.[18]

Since then, a number of directors, producers and writers have been reported to be attached to the film, starting with Stephen Norrington (writer/director) and Jon Peters (producer).[18][19] In 2008, Anime News Network reported that Ruairi Robinson would direct, Gary Whitta would write, and Andrew Lazar, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Jennifer Davisson would produce the film.[20] Late 2009, Gary Whitta stated he was no longer attached to the film,[21] and Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby were rumored to be taking over the script writing.[22] In February 2010, Deadline reported that Warner Brothers was in talks with Allen and Albert Hughes to direct the film.[23] On June 17, 2010, Lazar said that a new writer had been hired and that the movie was being fast tracked.[24] He also stated that only Albert Hughes would direct the film, and that the first movie would be based on volumes 1–3 and the second on volumes 4–6.[24] In April 2011, Chris Weston stated he was working on concept art and story boards for the live action Akira, but the film had not been green-lit yet.[25]

From Wiki:

Another changing source of speculation has been casting. In 2009 Leonardo DiCaprio and Joseph Gordon Levitt were the rumored stars in the film.[21][26] In November 2010, it was reported that Zac Effron was in talks for the leading role,[27] and Morgan Freeman would take the role of Colonel Shikishima.[28] In February 2011, it was reported that James Franco was in talks for the role of Shotaro Kaneda.[29] That same month, Vulture reported that Mila Kunis was offered the role of Kei, but turned it down in favor of portraying the Wicked Witch of the West in Oz, the Great and Powerful.[30] Deadline.com reported that Garrett Hedlund, Michael Fassbender, Justin Timberlake, Joaquin Phoenix, and Chris Pine are in the running to play Kaneda, while Andrew Garfield and James McAvoy are rumored to be in talks for the role of Tetsuo Shima in March 2011.[31] Deadline also reported Robert Pattinson was in talks for a role, but he has denied any involvement with the franchise.[31][32] On May 6, 2011 Keanu Reeves was reported to have been offered the role of Kaneda, but 11 days later on the 17th of May, he was reported as having turned it down.[33][34]

Fueled by casting rumors, a petition against casting a live-action Akira film with non-Asian actors in their respective roles was set up on facebook.[citation needed] George Takei spoke with The Advocate about the rumors, stating that any decision to cast white actors in Akira would offend both Asians and the fans of the original manga or animated film.[35]

On May 26, 2011 it was reported that Albert Hughes had left the project due to creative differences. Warner Bros. is currently seeking a new director to replace him.[36]

On July 14, 2011 Jaume Collet-Serra has been announced as the new director.

Great. The guy who gave us House of Wax and Goal will direct Akira. And the guy who adapts the scripts for the Harry Potter franchise is in charge of the script.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jaume-collet-serra-tapped-direct-211369

This is not looking good folks.

Uff-da.

<_<

I mean, Steve Cloves ain't terrible, but I don't know much about the director because, frankly, I've had no desire to see any film he's done.

Just give it to Zach Snyder and get it over with.

Uff-da.

dry.gif

I mean, Steve Cloves ain't terrible, but I don't know much about the director because, frankly, I've had no desire to see any film he's done.

Just give it to Zach Snyder and get it over with.

After Sucker Punch, that isn't such a bad idea.

You can't kill it with fire! What do we do???

Well, apparently, there was a face book petition to kill it, and it took George Takei to explain why it would suck.

So, if Warner Brothers or any other Hollywood studio has the rights to it, that means the film will never be made in Japan right? I'm a little foggy on the whole international rights thing because there were rumors that Uchu Senkan Yamato was going to be made in Hollywood then out from nowhere pops Yamato by a Japanese studio.

Edited by peter

Well, apparently, there was a face book petition to kill it, and it took George Takei to explain why it would suck.

So, if Warner Brothers or any other Hollywood studio has the rights to it, that means the film will never be made in Japan right? I'm a little foggy on the whole international rights thing because there were rumors that Uchu Senkan Yamato was going to be made in Hollywood then out from nowhere pops Yamato by a Japanese studio.

No, pretty sure those rights only extend through the U.S.

I like George, but his reason in this case is wrong. It basically boiled down to "it will suck becuase they are going to use caucasian actors". That is reverse discrimination and not a valid reason. Most likely a name change would be a good idea, two examples I am thinking of where the source and the adaptation were excellent.

RAN - Shakespeare's King Lear (I especially loved the cinematography in Ran, and the use of color, stunning work)

The Magnificent Seven - We all know what this is from, and M7 usually gets the same "not as good" bit of reverse snobbery shot at it as well - it is just a little different from the source is all.

Not to say there isn't offal in both directions though.

But then why call it "Akira"? Just call it "Fred" or something and be on their way.

I think that's what Dynaman was getting at. It'd probably be okay if they changed the name of the movie and just say it's based on the story of Akira, but to have Dicaprio play Kaneda, or Akira? What are they going to do, dye his hair black?

Discrimination is discrimination, I don't really know if there's reverse discrimination. And I don't think it is discrimination in this case, it just doesn't make any sense to have a caucasian play someone who is supposed to be ethinically Japanese. The story happens in Tokyo, not New York. Of course, if they rewrite it to occur in New York, by all means, have Dipacprio play "Fred".

George Takei isn't being racist. I think he just doesn't want things like this to happen again:

Kung+Fu+David+Carradine.+jpg.jpg

and

mickey-rooney-breakfast-at-tiffanys-400x341_blog.jpg?1278519832

mickey-rooney.jpg

I know movies are just make-beleive and acting itself is playing someone you are not, but c'mon. Do they do it because they think the general public will never accept a Chinese playing a Chinese character in a lead role, or Japanese playing a Japanese character(I know this is probably not the case anymore, but Hollywood has this history)? Geisha was beyond stupid for me. Or maybe it's because they think the audience can't tell the difference? Hollywood has a history of racism that's still fresh in a lot of people's minds, and George Takei is of a generation who has probably witnessed it first hand. He was fortunate with Star Trek, but not everyone is as lucky as him.

George Takei isn't being racist. I think he just doesn't want things like this to happen again:

He is on the latest kick, the one where black roles can only be played by black actors, asian by asians, latinos by latinos - even if the role is rewritten for a caucasion. The same people do not seem to have any problem when caucasion roles are done by non-caucasion actors. I agree that if Kaneda is going to stay an asian in the US Akira (which is/was going to be in Neo New York) then he should be played by an asian actor.

As an aside - nobody wants to see the atrocities you had picture of again, and lets not forget all the indians played by whites, or the worst case I can think of - Mexican Americans being played by white actors in the movie "Giant" (notable as worst for me since it had a subplot about racism...)

Not all cases of people playing someone of a different background is bad though, let us not forget Vasquez (sp?) from Aliens.

Edited by Dynaman

He is on the latest kick, the one where black roles can only be played by black actors, asian by asians, latinos by latinos - even if the role is rewritten for a caucasion. The same people do not seem to have any problem when caucasion roles are done by non-caucasion actors. I agree that if Kaneda is going to stay an asian in the US Akira (which is/was going to be in Neo New York) then he should be played by an asian actor.

As an aside - nobody wants to see the atrocities you had picture of again, and lets not forget all the indians played by whites, or the worst case I can think of - Mexican Americans being played by white actors in the movie "Giant" (notable as worst for me since it had a subplot about racism...)

Not all cases of people playing someone of a different background is bad though, let us not forget Vasquez (sp?) from Aliens.

]

Sorry about that, I actually don't know what his actual statement was, it was just my interpretation of what wiki said. I agree with you that if the role has been re-written for another ethnicity, that's fine. Like the white drew carey said, rename it "Fred" and it oughta do just fine, haha!