RAISE YOUR FLAG! ~Sheryl Nome: Goddess of the Battlfield~

Rock

Hello, decided to share my progress of an illustration I'm working on after discovering I haven't drawn any Macross (sans one Minmay pic I did 10 years ago... (Not even Basara/Mylene! :o) For this work I was inspired by the final scene in Sayonara no Tsubasa when Sheryl take the stage for the final scene donning her Orleans/officer outfit bearing the flag as Alto flies into battle. I've got the idea in place and want to focus on Sheryl first, being center stage. Her likeness to me is a thin line. Looking at the figures of her it seems very easy for her character to get lost with her flowing golden locks.

post-13376-0-00598600-1464919024_thumb.jpg

post-13376-0-05028800-1464919068_thumb.jpg

Looking good so far. What type of tablet are you using with photoshop? Is it the type where you're sketching on a screen or just regular tablet. I always wonder how people get the lines perfectly on top of their sketches.

Looking good so far. What type of tablet are you using with photoshop? Is it the type where you're sketching on a screen or just regular tablet. I always wonder how people get the lines perfectly on top of their sketches.

On screen but, I spend too much time on lines. I draw at 600dpi and that picture above is at 63% zoom. So at full zoom my lines are around at quarter inch thick, in which I go back over them to make parts thicker and use the eraser to taper off the edges into neat little points, I feel it adds more character to the work that having all the lines the same thickeness... also makes it more interesting as I don't really like to color. Another thing I'll say is always draw past the point where your line will end, to make a hair 'spike' draw from the top to the tip and beyond, then cleanup with an eraser. This way your lines have a bit more form as you aren't stopping the smooth motion before the end. Around 40 layers of hair... :X

post-13376-0-32437100-1465064831_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rock