1/55's revisited

kanata67

now thats paying attention to detail big F! :blink: . I never noticed many of those differences... just wheter parts swaped or not. I never noticed the leg thing as I always swapped intact legs or built legs from known parts. I'll have to go and look at the trapezoids on mine now...

ok... some of mine have them, some of them don't... and I can't see any correlation between old bandai mark and new as I have trapezoids on both versions. Granted I was looking at my loose ones and lord knows I don't remember what part is original to which valk anymore.

damn! now I'm going to have to go through all my refurbs and make sure that bits match I never paid attention to before... :unsure:

oh yeah... 1 more down :p

anybody got a box? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Yeah... I should have gotten http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEDW%3AIT&rd=1 instead but when I get my matsu it's gonna come with the matsu paperwork so help me.

Yeah I kinda like the trapezoid bits I am trying to work out a way of getting them onto the legs that dont have them.

As far as the bars on the legs go that s easy just introduce them to the needle file and cut yourself the groves.

Thigh parts

Some of them come with the little trapezoids some dont.

I believe that when Bandai started cranking out the Elintseeker and the Ostrich, they made slight detail increases to the molds. These included:

- the leg trapezoids

- panel lines on the inside of the backpack(the side that faces upward when in fighter mode and the tailfins are extended)

- the rounded squares on the back ( there are three in decreasing size on each side) have 3 lines thru the middle of them.

Jetfires will have the increased detailing if they are from the latter part of the run, earlier ones don't.

Well I found the differences in the rear wheel covers on the legs.

Ok this is the more common type I have

legstyp1.jpg

This is the less common type I have only two of mine have them out of 6 Jetfires

legstyp2.jpg

Again there is no relation to any of the other parts to determine which you get.

I think I have found a way of putting the trapezoids into the legs. Im gonna have a play and then I will post IF its successful.

Edited by big F

Wow! I never noticed all of these Jetfire variations.

big F-Are you related to Sherlock Holmes? Your powers of observation are amazing!

341082[/snapback]

Well it probably helps that firstly some of my Jetfires have come from the U.S.A and some from Europe. Secondly I found them one day while trying to work out which ones I would do custom paints on. I didnt want to do it to the really nice and white ones. I also considered breaking them all up and building some good ones and then modding the rest.

As it stands at the moment 3 are staying as is and three are getting modded, two of them already were by the previous owner. I just dont like the way they were done.

The ones that are staying as is are reciving a full restoration to original condition including stickers. I will sorce a box as well as I want the original one to go back into its box.

Edited by big F

Hey Solscud007, is the LED bootleg that you have a white or red one? I've been wanting one of the red versions for a while now but I'm unable to find them in Chinatown, SF or at the local flea markets. Where'd you get yours? Could you get more?

Valkfan

340057[/snapback]

sorry for the late reply.

XStoys brought back a couple of the white VF1As. From his trip to China. as far as we know the only place to get these is in Shanghai. Ask Sebastian he lives in Shanghai.

That's pretty awesome, big F.

I honestly don't think anyone has paid that much attention to detail on 1/55's since the Yamato's showed up. Back then, we'd stare at our Bandai treasures for hours.

I still love my 1/55's more than anything.

That's pretty awesome, big F.

I honestly don't think anyone has paid that much attention to detail on 1/55's since the Yamato's showed up. Back then, we'd stare at our Bandai treasures for hours.

I still love my 1/55's more than anything.

341207[/snapback]

Yeah I think the Yamoto`s are great but you gotta remember your roots.

1/55`s may not be as detailed but they are cheap and plentyful and ideal for custom paint jobs. I love my Yamoto`s but I couldnt mod them as I would be scared I`d mess one up.

I`55`s are so forgiving and I know a lot had/has been done to them over the years but I would like to try somethings my self. Maybe I can bring some new ideas. Eaither way we have our own section so at least if your interested you can look without anyone saying bah!! chuck em out and buy Yamoto`s.

• 1 month later...

List of 1/100 Transformable Valkyries

Takatoku VF - 1982

1A CF TV

1J Hikaru TV

1J Max TV

1S Hikaru (Grey) TV

4 = TOTAL

Bandai - 1984 thru 90

1A Hikaru DYRL

1 = TOTAL

(Manufacturers Unknown) VF - Production Dates Unknown

1S White (Battroid Valkyrie)

1S Grey (Battroid Valkyrie)

1J Grey (Roboticjet)

3 = TOTAL

337630[/snapback]

While looking at my boxes for the joon's story and space fighter story I noticed my joon's style 1/100 and my robotic jet have identical box backs. The fact that the back was the transforming directions from jet to giant moth makes me think they were released similar to the space fighter and the joon's. Did joon's aquire their 1/55 and 1/100 molds from a different korean company? How many korean valk producing companies were their?

Takatoku VF - 1982

1A CF TV

1J Hikaru TV

1J Max TV

1S Hikaru (Grey) TV

4 = TOTAL

Bandai - 1984 thru 90

1A Hikaru DYRL

1 = TOTAL

1J Grey (Roboticjet)

3 = TOTAL

337630[/snapback]

While looking at my boxes for the joon's story and space fighter story I noticed my joon's style 1/100 and my robotic jet have identical box backs. The fact that the back was the transforming directions from jet to giant moth makes me think they were released similar to the space fighter and the joon's. Did joon's aquire their 1/55 and 1/100 molds from a different korean company? How many korean valk producing companies were their?

353316[/snapback]

Could it be that joons is just part of a bigger plastics company. Like for example LG (lucky Goldstar) who own serveral smaller branded companies. If this was the case you may find that they were just "given" the molds or that there is a whole untapped 1/55 or 1/100 collection out there :blink: thats another way to reduce your wallet to shreads and make the wife happy.

depends on how long you wait and how many people play with their mpc's [thus breaking them]. The super definately will [especially if you got it for $40 :( ] and the max and milla already sell for more than retail. Then again I've been picking up taka's pretty cheap over the past year so it might be more than a few years tillwe see pre-yammie prices on our 1/55's

as for the yammies... the 1/60's are already cheaper than retail excepting the rare ones because of the 1/48. But lord knows the low-viz went up a lot more in value than any bandai in the same time period. The mac plus valks have all gone waaaay up but for the 21. Depends on the scarcity of the model. I'll bet the vf-0 goes way up as it's cool, unlike the konig monster apparently :blink: . If yammie makes a 1/48 seeker, bandai's seeker values will drop severly and the yammie version will no doubt climb greatly in value as more robotechers discover the world of macross and want something so cool. I hope it happens so I can get both :D

so I guess the answer to your question is no. Not in the near future... but a few years after that. Pressed for time? I know it won't be worth selling my pokemon collection [shudders] for another 10-20 years and my spawn might not be worth selling till after I'm dead :(

That is one of the major pitfalls in collecting collectables or toys. Its all about deciding what will be collectable and what you like vs whats affordable and what everyone else wont be collecting. I have just been reminded about a case where Starwars toy from the first time round ie the 80`s were dumpped by Pailitoy/kenner/Hasbro as rretailers would no longer buy them as Starwars was over and no longer the kids choice. There is a land fill site in the U.K filled with 20,000 figures and assorted spaceships etc, as they were no longer needed and it was not the done thing to recycle things then. If only someone had forsight and kept them in a warehouse somewhere now they would possibly be worth millions to collectors now who gladly pay £40 - £50+ for mint on card figures.

The point is collect what you want because you want it, not because some speccy nerd says it is/is going to be valuble. keep them in vacumsealed boxes in humidity proofed rooms, or on a shelf in the spare room or in your shed at the bottom of the garden, it doesnt matter just collect if you want.

I have without much though (at the time) got some really collectables that are now worth a lot more than I paid for them. Am I going to sell them Hell no!

If you are into collecting plastic Robot toys as most people reading this probably are toy shops and walmarts etc are your friends. They sell of poor selling lines or discontinued products cheap. most of the time tese are the best time to stock up on future classics.

Take Transformers when each line is superseaded by the next they sell em off at silly prices. I have had one guy offer me 100 time what one cost new just because its mint in its box with the original recipt and now vintage store bag. I bought it at less than half price in a sale. I bought two one to show and one to put in the attic.

If I collected everything I really wanted to I would need a warehouse to put it in. As it is I might need a new house soon ;)

Edited by big F

Hmmm....I think there was the three High Complete model (HCM) 1/72 by Bandai? :p

List of 1/55 Transformable Valkyries

Takatoku VF - 1982

1A CF TV

1J Hikaru TV

1J Max TV

1J Milia TV

1S Hikaru GBP Giftset TV

1S Hikaru (Grey) TV

1S Super Hikaru TV

7 = TOTAL

Matsuhiro VF - 1984

1J Hikaru (Space Fighter-StarForce)

1S Jetfire (Transformers - Macross Symbol Stickered On Wing)

1S Jetfire (Transformers - Macross Symbol Painted On Wing)

3 = TOTAL

Bandai - 1984 thru 90

VF-1A Hikaru DYRL

VE-1 ElintSeeker DYRL

VT-1 SuperOstrich DYRL

VF-1S Strike Valkyrie DYRL

1S Jetfire (Transformers)

1S Super Hikaru (Head Retool)

*VF-1S Strike Hikaru (Instead of Strike Armour it was released with Jetfire Armour.)

*VE-1 ElintSeeker (Instead of Strike Armour it was released with Jetfire Armour.)

*These last two Bandai versions were said to be left over parts. Thus, the combining of Jetfire armour with the VF-1S and the VE-1.

8 = TOTAL

Joons VF - 1984 (All Korean)

1J Hikaru (Space Gandam)

1J Hikaru (Space Fighter)

1J Hikaru (Macross)

1J Max (Macross)

1J Millia (Macross)

1J Green Version (Alaska Base)

1J White Version (AngelBirds)

1S White Version (AngelBirds) - Need to verify this.

8 = TOTAL

1S Strike Hikaru (Box looks like that of Bandai'. No Strike Armor supplied. Taiwan)

1S Super Hikaru (White VF with true Blue Armor. Spain or Mexico)

1S Super Hikaru (White VF with true Blue Armor. Taiwan)

1S Super Hikaru (Grey VF with true Blue Armor. Taiwan)

1S Galaxy Defender

1J Grey Version (Robotec)

1J Green Version (Robotec)

7 = TOTAL

Bandai VF (Reissues) - 2001

1A Hikaru DYRL

1A CF TV

1J Hikaru TV

1J Max TV

1J Milia TV

1S Hikaru (Grey) TV

1S Super Hikaru TV

7 = TOTAL

***(Manufacturers Unknown) Blister Pack VF - Production Dates Unknown

1S White VF with Blue Boosters

1S Amber VF with Orange Boosters

1S Amber VF with Purple Boosters

1A White with LEDs

1A Red with LEDs

5 = TOTAL

Debateable Items  - Need proof

1A Joons

Takatoku VF - 1982

1A CF TV

1J Hikaru TV

1J Max TV

1S Hikaru (Grey) TV

4 = TOTAL

Bandai - 1984 thru 90

1A Hikaru DYRL

1 = TOTAL

1J Grey (Roboticjet)

3 = TOTAL

337630[/snapback]

For me it was the "Curiousity kills the cat." It sure did because I got my very first 1/48 and I was stoked!! To me it was much better in person than fom the pics. Extremely detailed and articulate model. I love that ruff texture too.

From that experience, i've acquired a new perspective on Yamato Macross toy-line. But then again, im also a true lover of the 1/55 too. :D

With so many beautiful 1/55s and so much love to they give, why would anyone bother going to the 1/48?

338244[/snapback]

• 3 weeks later...

last.

I had to do it... I was challenged :lol:

" i'm working on getting a TV kakazaki together and i was wondering if you own a toynami MPC ben dixon?

if so, could you please take some pics of it for me so i can use it as a reference? i just need 4 pics, front and back of battroid mode and top and bottom of fighter mode.

i tried using the search function but too many people are ashamed to take pics of an MPC and post them here"

I won't say who it was but I want to see pics when the custom is done.

I'd say it's worth getting one and judging for yourself. They are kinda cool but they sure aren't the lawn darts I know and love. You can also get the max and mila's much cheaper than re-issue bandai's. I got them because they were 1/55 scale and no other reason. OK... I did like the yr head :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

With a little tweaking the 1/55 can be pretty danged elegant.

My two favorite things to do to them are to file down the swing bars and put in swivel thighs.

It makes a WORLD of difference.

I am also puttying up all the screw holes. These things are still my favorites.

It's funny this thread got bumped, just yesterday I decided to resurect my friends old Jetfire. He's getting maried soon, and I though I would fix it up and give it back to him on his wedding day. Originaly I was going to use the metal parts to customize a Joons, but now I think I will just leave the Joons how it is, sort of a footnote in the long and storied history of the 1/55.

Anyway I was looking for Jetfire parts on ebay and they seem to be selling for quite a bit. Actualy, most Macross products seem to be stupid expensive on ebay right now. Has anyone else noticed this or have I just been away from collecting for to long? :p

Yes I haver noticed an increase in the general prices for 1/55`s and related spares on eBay.

Time was when I could get a basket case Jetfire for less money than it would cost to post it.

I am currently undergoing a large mod on a bootleg when finished it will be a battloid with more posability and more detail. I am going to post pictures when I have more porgress. I will probably start a new thread for it.

This is an ongoing project and when I get back from Japan with some more supplies I can kick it into high gear.

Think posability of a Hasegawa kit and more anime acurate, and you wont be far from where Im headed.

• 1 year later...

and the reason for the mystery...

Well, I think I finally have your answer. A while back I won an odd Takatoku VF-1S. Here's were it get's weird.

The box it came in is for a Takatoku VF-1S (Blue Box). The valkyrie itself is white just like the Super Valkyrie, also from Takatoku. But instead of a yellow stripe on the chest it's painted over in red, and from studying the application, it appears factory applied. The original yellow is still underneath the red. The remainder of the markings are from the VF-1S Super (such as, the "001" on the wing.

I spoke with the seller prior to purchase and it appears he purchased this spanking new "as is".

So the Kanata67, the variant you have, as do I, probably shared the same fate of being in the final run of Takatoku's production and being repackaged with whatever they had lying around.

So the Kanata67, the variant you have, as do I, probably shared the same fate of being in the final run of Takatoku's production and being repackaged with whatever they had lying around.

A real rarety then.

Posted this in another thread, but it also belongs here :)

Takatoku 1/100 VF1J Italian "Il Transformabili" Valkyrie, comes in Takatoku box, marked as Made In Taiwan, this toy was sold in Italy with a Il Transformabili sticker on the front which has been removed. Its unconfirmed, but possibly these were released in Italy by Matsushiro after they acquired the molds from Takatoku. Compared to an original Takatoku (seen below for comparison only), the toy itself is the same with some slight color variation in the plastic and paint. The wings have stickers instead of paint, the stickers overall are similar, but slightly different as can be seen in the pics. My toy came with no sticker sheet, no gun, but instructions (blue and one-sided only). Box is slightly different in color, says Made In Taiwan, has a different texture, and still says Takatoku on 3 sides, same as original IPB ImageIPB Image

Edited by Totoro242

• 2 years later...

List of 1/55 Transformable Valkyries

Takatoku VF - 1982

01. 1A CF TV

02. 1J Hikaru TV

03. 1J Max TV

04. 1J Milia TV

05. 1S Hikaru GBP Giftset TV

06. 1S Hikaru "Grey" Version TV

07. 1S Super Hikaru TV

7 = TOTAL

Matsuhiro VF - 1984

01. 1S Jetfire1 (Transformers) - Ridged antennae detail, Painted UN SPACY insignia (wing), lined canopy.

02. 1S Jetfire2 (Transformers) - Ridged detail on antennae, UN Spacy sticker insignia (wing), lined canopy.

03. 1S Jetfire3 (Transformers) - Ridged detail on antennae, U.N. Spacy sticker insignia (wing), unlined canopy.

04. 1J Hikaru (Space Fighter-StarForce)

4 = TOTAL

Matsu-Bandai VF - 1984 thru 1985

01. 1S Jetfire (Transformers) - Matsushiro body with Bandai antennae and copyright.

02. 1J Hikaru (Space Gandam) - Matsuhiro marking on back of box in a large white square.

2 = TOTAL

Bandai VF,VE,VT - 1984 thru 1990

01. VF-1A Hikaru DYRL

02. VE-1 ElintSeeker DYRL

03. VT-1 SuperOstrich DYRL

04. VF-1S Strike Valkyrie DYRL

05. 1S Super Hikaru (Super Valkyrie) - Retooled: Head, Landing Gear (No Landing Gear Triggers or Springs), and Various Other Parts.

06. 1S Jetfire1 (Transformers) - Smooth antennae, Bandai logo in a straight line on the left side, no "box" around it, no copyright, just "TOKYO JAPAN" on the right.

07. 1S Jetfire2 (Transformers) - Smooth antennae, Bandai "box" logo on the left side, © BANDAI 1984 MADE IN JAPAN on the right.

08. 1S Jetfire3 (Transformers) - Smooth antennae, Bandai "box" logo on the left side, © BANDAI 1985 MADE IN JAPAN on the right.

09. *VF-1S Strike Hikaru - Instead of Strike Armour it was released with Jetfire Armour..

10. *VE-1 ElintSeeker DYRL - Instead of Strike Armour it was released with Jetfire Armour.

*These last two Bandai versions were said to be left over parts. Thus, the combining of Jetfire armour with the VF-1S and the VE-1. No reports have been made of a VT-1 SuperOstrich / Jetfire Armour combo.

10 = TOTAL

Joons VF - 1984 (All Korean)

01. 1J Hikaru (Space Gandam)

02. 1J Hikaru (Space Fighter)

03. 1J Hikaru (Macross)

04. 1J Max (Macross)

05. 1J Millia (Macross)

06. 1J Green "Alaska Base" Version (Macross)

07. 1J White "Angelbirds" Version (Macross). Unique Tail Wings and Wings.

08. 1S White "Angelbirds" Version (Macross). Unique Tail Wings and Wings.

8 = TOTAL

01. 1S Strike Hikaru (Strike Valkyrie) - Box looks like 1/2 that of Bandai'. No Strike Armor supplied. Italy or Taiwan.

02. 1S Super Hikaru (Super Valkyrie) - White VF with true Blue Armor. Spain or Mexico.

03. 1S Super Hikaru (Super Valkyrie) - White VF with true Blue Armor. Taiwan.

04. 1S Super Hikaru (Super Valkyrie) - Grey VF with true Blue Armor. Taiwan.

05. 1S (Galaxy Defender) - Completely retooled, molded in blue and grey. Taiwan or Hong Kong.

07. 1J Hikaru (Robotec)

08. 1J Green "Alaska Base" Version (Robotec)

09. 1J Hikaru (Robotec) by PC Toys (Red Box)

10. 1J Hikaru (Robotec). Arabian.

10 = TOTAL

Bandai VF (aka Reissues) - 2001 thru 2002

01. 1A Hikaru DYRL

02. 1A CF TV

03. 1J Hikaru TV

04. 1J Max TV

05. 1J Milia TV

06. 1S Hikaru (Grey) TV

07. 1S Super Hikaru TV

7 = TOTAL

(Manufacturers Unknown) Blister Pack VF - Production Dates Unknown

01. 1S White VF with Blue Boosters

02. 1S Amber VF with Orange Boosters

03. 1S Amber VF with Purple Boosters

04. 1A White with LEDs

05. 1A Red with LEDs

06. 1S White VF

6 = TOTAL

Debateable Items - Need proof

01. 1A "Unknown" Version (Space Gandam) by Joons

1 = Total

List of 1/72 Transformable Valkyries

Bandai VF - 1985

01. 1A CF TV

02. 1J Hikaru TV

03. 1S Hikaru DYRL

3 = Total

Takatoku VF - 1982

01. 1A CF TV

02. 1J Hikaru TV

03. 1J Max TV

04. 1S Hikaru (Grey) TV

4 = TOTAL

Bandai - 1984 thru 90

01. 1A Hikaru DYRL

1 = TOTAL

01. 1S White (Battroid Valkyrie)

02. 1J White (Battroid Valkyrie)

03. 1S Grey (Battroid Valkyrie)

04. 1J Grey (Roboticjet)

05. 1J Grey w/ Red and Yellow Chest Stripes (Roboticjet)

5 = TOTAL

List of Hi-Comical/SD Transformable Valkyries

Bandai Hi-Comical VF - 1984

01. 1A Super Hikaru DYRL

02. 1A Super Max DYRL

03. 1S Super Roy DYRL

04. 1J Super Max TV

05. 1J Super Milia TV

5 = TOTAL

Matchbox SD VF - 1984

01. 1S Super Roy DYRL

02. 1J Super Max TV

03. 1J Super Milia TV

3 = TOTAL

Some notes on your 1/55 list:

- 02. 1J Hikaru TV - the Hikaru 1J Takatoku had 4 box variants regarding the shape of the front window area

takatokuarticle.jpg

- The French Hergoss Walkyrie HS-1S is missing from the list. This is a very high quality boot and was actually manufactured in Macau

HERGOSS_vf-1S_FR1.jpg

- On the Space Gandam, there are at least 3 box variants and I believe they are all Korean in make, not Matsushiro. If there is indeed a Matushiro Space Gandam, then there are 4 variants.

- Space Gandam Version 1 has the Korean anime characters on the box

STP61411.jpg

- Space Gandam Version 2 has no characters

space_gandam_variant1.jpg

- Space Gandam Version 3 has no characters and "Manufactured for Clover Toys Inc. U.S.A." printed on the box front

STP61412.jpg

- 02. 1S Super Hikaru (Super Valkyrie) - White VF with true Blue Armor. Spain or Mexico - this one is a genuine Bandai release in "euro" market box, hence the Spanish and French

STP61415.jpg

- 05. 1S (Galaxy Defender) - Completely retooled, molded in blue and grey. Taiwan or Hong Kong - The Galaxy Defender is manufactured by Happy Well of hong Kong and in addition to the orange box shown earlier in this thread, there is this blue "Soldier Bear" box that was sold on US military bases around the world:

STP61413.jpg

- Need to add the 2007/2008 Bandai reissues of 1J Hikaru (now with heatshield), 1S Roy, Super 1A Hikaru and Super 1A Max

Edited by glane21

• 1 year later...