Macross Ultimate Frontier for the Sony PSP.

UN Spacy

Hey, yesterday I checked out the issue of Famitsu with the original article in it (I didn't buy it, so no larger scans, sorry), and here is what I found out:

1) There will be many, many more campaigns this time round, M7 and Dynamite 7 are separate, DYRL and SDF TV are separate, MZero gets a full campaign... as does Flashback 2012!! And apparently M3 and VF-x2 will also "feature" somehow! Last but not least, there is a hint that "even 'THAT' show will make an appearance"... to which they could only be referring to Macross II, as far as I can see, I mean, what else is left??

2) Battle Galaxy is seen in a screenshot.

3) Fast Packs and Sound Boosters can be fitted and discharged at will during the game.

4) There will be more cutscenes explaining the chronology of each story.

5) Special moves feature animations of the character's eyes. Yeah, didn't really need that one, I guess.

6) VF-0D and VA-3M etc.

7) You now have VF-X2-style indicators for incoming missiles. Dunno if that means you can shoot them down, though.

8) You get to put a girl in the cockpit with you. Sheryl, Ranka, Minmay... I wonder if more random characters like Cathy, Vanessa or Sivil will appear too?

The stuff about M3 is just great news though, because it has to mean VF-9, Variable Glaugs and whatnot. I'm sooo there.

Believe it or not, the way fighters handles in Ace Frontier "was" a vast improvement over the way mobile armor's handled in the Gundam Battle series. If elements from M3, VFX2, & Macross II pop up this time around, it'll probably be in the same way Zero was shown in AF, and F91 in Gundam Battle Universe, i.e.. ex stages with a couple unlockable mecha. Not that I'm complaining, they have to save something for the next one.

I like the idea of passangers in cockpit though, hopefully that means we'll get the VF-11D Jamming Birds varient. I also hope one of those Konig Monsters has "Monster Girl" painted on the side. New hud is very pretty, and I wonder if they'll add any new pilot skills.

That just made my day!

Graham

This most accurately depicts the overwhelming level of powerful giddiness that is radiating from my entire body

Florine.

Uranium.

Carbon.

Potassium.

Yeah!

Singing Angel Voice with the Space Whales! Whoaa whoa whoooaa! Whoaah whoa whoooa whoa uwhooahh!

5) Special moves feature animations of the character's eyes. Yeah, didn't really need that one, I guess.

Even though it's not really necessary, small touches like that really helps make the game. :)

Though, I don't like the HUD too much. I'll live with it though.

Anyway, I wanna hear that release date. :3

Edited by shiroikaze

Singing Angel Voice with the Space Whales! Whoaa whoa whoooaa! Whoaah whoa whoooa whoa uwhooahh!

Heh, that, coupled with you avatar, just made MY day! :lol:

As for the HUD, I'm guessing you can turn it off, so I don't mind. The less crap on my screen the better. I'm a little concerned that there is quite a bit more information onscreen this time round, like an extremely useful <_< BGF indicator showing what mode you're in, and the design of all the stuff in the bottom right corner looks much bigger. I really hope none of this obstructs the player's vision.

But seriously, we all know this is gonna be the best Macross game ever, so ONE MILLION POINTS TO NAMCO/BANDAI and ARTDINK.

Hey, yesterday I checked out the issue of Famitsu with the original article in it (I didn't buy it, so no larger scans, sorry), and here is what I found out:

1) There will be many, many more campaigns this time round, M7 and Dynamite 7 are separate, DYRL and SDF TV are separate, MZero gets a full campaign... as does Flashback 2012!! And apparently M3 and VF-x2 will also "feature" somehow! Last but not least, there is a hint that "even 'THAT' show will make an appearance"... to which they could only be referring to Macross II, as far as I can see, I mean, what else is left??

2) Battle Galaxy is seen in a screenshot.

3) Fast Packs and Sound Boosters can be fitted and discharged at will during the game.

4) There will be more cutscenes explaining the chronology of each story.

6) VF-0D and VA-3M etc.

7) You now have VF-X2-style indicators for incoming missiles. Dunno if that means you can shoot them down, though.

8) You get to put a girl in the cockpit with you. Sheryl, Ranka, Minmay... I wonder if more random characters like Cathy, Vanessa or Sivil will appear too?

The stuff about M3 is just great news though, because it has to mean VF-9, Variable Glaugs and whatnot. I'm sooo there.

OOOO now that's interesting, a Flashback campaign! awesome! Some insight in what happened just after they left? wicked, VF-4 action!!! Thanks for the scoop.

I for one love the controls in MAF, they are pretty easy really but i'd love if they added even more fancy tricks to pull off though.

But disengagin the FP's/Supers is fantastic, JUST HOW GOOD I THAT??? :D ultimate.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

So whats happening with this, UMD or? I'm not up with the new PSP happenings.

After the announcement of PSP Go? Most likely both UMD and download.

Heh, that, coupled with you avatar, just made MY day! :lol:

My giddiness is now overflowing and infectious~

As for the HUD, I'm guessing you can turn it off, so I don't mind. The less crap on my screen the better. I'm a little concerned that there is quite a bit more information onscreen this time round, like an extremely useful <_< BGF indicator showing what mode you're in, and the design of all the stuff in the bottom right corner looks much bigger. I really hope none of this obstructs the player's vision.

Same here. A minimalistic HUD is the way to go, but a sim game gets some leeway :p. But instead of just toggling the HUD on and off, it would be nice if we could switch between the old and new layout, change color schemes, or toggle certains parts of the HUD much like Armored Core.

But seriously, we all know this is gonna be the best Macross game ever, so ONE MILLION POINTS TO NAMCO/BANDAI and ARTDINK.

No, no, no. That's the next release. :lol:

Edited by shiroikaze

Believe it or not, the way fighters handles in Ace Frontier "was" a vast improvement over the way mobile armor's handled in the Gundam Battle series.
Having played through every title in the Battle series and MAF I would have to strongly disagree. The only way it is substantially better other than the slightly larger maps is that you can just spam missiles constantly with little regard to the direction you are facing or your general alignment with your target but that's just my opinion.

So hopefully if you can jettison the strike/fast packs you can also jettison the armor parts B))

Having played through every title in the Battle series and MAF I would have to strongly disagree. The only way it is substantially better other than the slightly larger maps is that you can just spam missiles constantly with little regard to the direction you are facing or your general alignment with your target but that's just my opinion.

So hopefully if you can jettison the strike/fast packs you can also jettison the armor parts B))

Definatey disagree. Trying to hit anything with a mobiel armor was an absolute bitch up until Battle Universe, Ace Frontier definately balances flying & shooting in fighter much better.

Mostly fighter mode and gerwalk for me, battroid for laying smackdown on aces. But Gerwalk was probably my go to mode if i was in trouble.

Need to keep mobile, and that means switching from fighter and gerwalk regularly for my technique to work.

Low and fast in fighter, f's the missiles rightly good.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Hello, everyone. I'm new to this community, but not to the Macross universe.

I just read TODAY about this new game. I knew it was bound to happen, but not when.

I'm so excited! To make it even better, the control system for the Fighter mode seems to be interchangeable between the MA style and sort of a simulator mode like VF-X2 and the PS2 version.

Please clarify one thing for me: That pic with Sheryl to the right is supposed to mean she can pilot? Or does she get in the VF you pilot as a sort of Jamming Bird or like Ranka did with Kanaria? Because if it is so, what kind of effect is it supposed to have? A bost for stats, or a status damage for enemies?

Oh, crap, I'm too excited to think straight. I'd better go get some sleep.

One thing I DO hope, and keep my fingers crossed for in this game, is the inclusion of the COMPLETE Nyan Nyan Service Medley... Talk about a BADASS combination of most of the songs. I want Northern Cross included too... I hope, I hope...

Definatey disagree. Trying to hit anything with a mobiel armor was an absolute bitch up until Battle Universe, Ace Frontier definately balances flying & shooting in fighter much better.
Well try using the VF-25G and only use the sniper rifle in fighter mode and see how well that works for you :lol: Like I posted the substantial improvement you experience in Fighter mode in comparison to Battles MAs and TMSs is indicative of the weapon selection more than anything else.

Since everyone else seems to be discussing their preferred modes.. I'd have to say unless it's primarily an airborne mission I spend more time in gerwalk and/or battroid. Even then gerwalk is definitely the most flexible unless you're in the 21 and then just activate your shield a pew pew everything in battroid.

Well try using the VF-25G and only use the sniper rifle in fighter mode and see how well that works for you :lol: and/or battroid. Even then gerwalk is definitely the most flexible unless you're in the 21 and then just activate your shield a pew pew everything in battroid.

The VF-25G is a special case though. Michael is primarily a sniper, which implies mainly using battroid mode. IIRC, we never see Michael dogfight in fighter mode in the series. IMO, for Michael the fighter mode is just used to quickly get him as fast as possible to a position where he can snipe in battroid mode.

Graham

The VF-25G is a special case though. Michael is primarily a sniper, which implies mainly using battroid mode. IIRC, we never see Michael dogfight in fighter mode in the series.

Graham

Ah but you see the point is that the VF-25Gs sniper rifle is the most similar weapon system on a fighter in MAF to what MAs and TMSs use in the battle series. The control scheme and it's implementation has not improved so much from Gundam Battle to MAF so much as the oodles of seeking missiles have enabled you to engage targets you are not leading and/or following. Not to say that missile spamming is not a Macross concept because it obviously is but for me it does not mask the fact the controls still leave something to be desired.

On a positive note I look forward to more BOMBER! maybe some more Plus vocals as well. I wonder what the chances of getting "Get Free" with vocals are?

That's if they're coming straight towards you...

I actually like getting up close and personal with the sniper rifle. Maxed out damage at pointblank or little further away :)

Not to mention, you kinda have to line yourself in their path to get hits... Unless it's Brera and his damned VF-27.

Please clarify one thing for me: That pic with Sheryl to the right is supposed to mean she can pilot? Or does she get in the VF you pilot as a sort of Jamming Bird or like Ranka did with Kanaria? Because if it is so, what kind of effect is it supposed to have? A bost for stats, or a status damage for enemies?

I'm pretty sure that's how it works, boost in stats and status effects for you, allies, and enemies.

That reminds me.

What NEEDS to be done for Macross multiplayer is a tug-of-war--or rather a push-of-war type of match.

Two opposing sides. 32-64 players. A macross on each side (controllable) with a fleet of ships for you to control as well and your own singing idol. Some squadrons spawning from respective macrosses. You do battle against each other, pushing the other team and overpowering them with your forces and songs until one side is victor.

Heaven or Hell! Let's Rock!

My bro has an interesting suggestion that Artdink will never see. He wants an option to turn off certain weapons. You don't bring missles to a gunpod-only dogfight :(

Edited by shiroikaze

You know, watching The Sky Crawlers, and thinking back to Shin's F-14 in this game got me thinking. Why bother having just one non-transformable fighter in this game? Why not also have Roy's Dragon II! That's be soo freakin' sweet.

You know, watching The Sky Crawlers, and thinking back to Shin's F-14 in this game got me thinking. Why bother having just one non-transformable fighter in this game? Why not also have Roy's Dragon II! That's be soo freakin' sweet.

Well, having the F-14 almost certainly guaruntees the presence of the MiG-29, unless you start a level using the Tomcat only to get shot down in less than 5 seconds by Nora.

The Ultimate Frontier site has finally been updated with info

http://b.bngi-channel.jp/psp_macross/

Firs tlooking at the mecha, comfirmed we have:

-VF-1S (Max DYRL version)

-VF-19S

-VF5000G (misatakedl put in the 7 section, instead of the Dynamite section)

-VA-3C (also in the wrong section)

-VF-19P, Graham's whale hunter, & the VT-1 (which we already knew about).

-VF-0D & (F-14 titled "type 14)

-Armored VF-0S.

-Fast Pack VF-25's.

Doubt that's even close to all of the new additions, as this is the first update, and they never toss everything up at the beginning. Also, looks like all the mecha models have been improved, even the pre-existing ones. There's a tab for music, which means we should hopefully be getting a decent amount this time. In the character section, Ranka is showin doing the "kira" thing, so Seikan Hikou is assured. Can't wait to see this game in action, September can't come fast enough.