The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

As for the fig itself, I also wonder how Hasbro managed to lower the price that drastically.

Is $100 the SRP?

In my opinion, the Takara version is overpriced. Add to that, it's an import. Then there are the cost-cutting measures taken for the Hasbro version; some could be obvious like missing paint apps, some less obvious like plastic quality. I wouldn't want to pay over $100 for a Hasbro MP10.

Is $100 the SRP?

It's confirmed that it'll be $99.99 Canadian when it's released in Canada, and we were told to expect it to retail for about the same in the US. Which makes sense, since the US and Canadian dollars are worth almost the same amount right now.

In addition to what you're suggesting about the Japanese version being overpriced (likely enough), you gotta figure that Takara's already paid for the design and tooling. Unless Hasbro contributed to that initial investment, they can afford to sell it for a little less.

Edited by mikeszekely

How much were the Hasbro MP Optimus, Grimlock and Starscream when they were released? Wern't they roughly half the price of the Asia/Japan RRP too?

Hasbro's Rodimus didn't include the trailer but included a target master instead. Harder to make a direct comparison there.

Wish I could say I'm surprised by the Hasbro version of MP-10 being announced, but I'm really not. Mostly surprised they plan on trying to price it for 100 bucks. I'd probably be irritated if they had announced it without the trailer and all the extras, because all I was looking for personally was Prime himself.

But my Takara MP-10 is only a couple days out so I'll be happy with my (probably) overpriced import lol. Also going to pick up my First Edition TF: Prime Optimus tomorrow from the post office. I'm really excited to see that in person.

First impressions of the Hasbro Prime though are mixed. His colors seem to light, both the red and the blue (but it could just be the lighting or something). I do like that they painted out the lights on his chest/cab and appear to have redone his eyes in blue (instead of the black I believe the Takara one has). But I'm also impressed the opted to keep the long smokestackes on the version for the states. I feel like I should be irritated with myself that I jumped the gun by about 4-5 days with my purchase, but I'm strangely cool with it.

Looking forward to some side by side images of them though once the TRU version is out.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

Personally I think the painted marker lights on the top of the cab are a HUGE improvement. (or really, the fact that Takara didn't paint them was just disgustingly cheap of them IMHO, or a grievous omission---you could pass off red housings as being painted to match the surroundings rather than the typical chrome ones, but opaque red LENSES? That's just lazy/incompetent)

Anyways, I forgot to mention this, but Not-Fireflight (from Super Ion) clearly uses the intake splitters of jet mode as shoulder armor/pads. Nifty.

Is $100 the SRP?

In my opinion, the Takara version is overpriced. Add to that, it's an import. Then there are the cost-cutting measures taken for the Hasbro version; some could be obvious like missing paint apps, some less obvious like plastic quality. I wouldn't want to pay over $100 for a Hasbro MP10.

I highly doubt that there cutting costs via reducing plastic quality. a North American hasbro release has to contend with US child safety laws which means if anything it would need to use better plastics in order to toughen the thing up.

I think most of the price drop is coming from a significantly larger production run, not having to cover the development cost, and the general bloat that comes from importing with a strong yen and weak dollar.

Went and picked up my FE Prime today from the post office. Gotta say, I'm really impressed with him. In terms of robot mode, I don't think he could be more accurate.

First thing I did upon taking him out of the packaging is unscrew his head and pop on the ball joint like it's supposed to be. Apparently the heads were attached wrong and it really ruined the range of motion, it also made his head sit too far back. I would like to see this mold done entirely in metallic paint, I think all the TF: Prime figures would benefit from apps like that.

Biggest gripes with the figure are the rubbery plastic sword and smokestacks and the lack of a second gun (and sword). If a third party company ever did a set with new swords, a second gun and some hard plastic smokestacks, I'd buy it in a second.

So, Aerialbots.

First, an actual scale comparison, for anyone who wants to argue about scale:

364420644.jpg

Second---in the original G1 toy patent drawings, while Air Raid and Slingshot look nigh-identical to the final product, Silverbolt is COMPLETELY different. And suckier overall. But he is an F-14 Tomcat! (which actually introduces even more scale issues, by having an F-14 that's much larger than an F-4/F-15)

So I just finished unboxing my Takara MP-10 and I'm floored.

This is, imo, without a doubt the greatest rendition of Optimus Prime ever. The sculpt (especially the head which is amazing), the color, the paint, the joints, everything is unbelievably perfect. Even the eyes are blue despite looking black in the photos I've seen. I have literally never been so pleased unboxing a Prime (or possibly any other toy) as I was just a few minutes ago and I own the Sideshow Prime maquette.

I cannot sing enough praise for this figure. As a lover of Optimus Prime this is in contention for the crown jewel of my Prime collection. I feel that it surpasses MP-01 in every conceivable way and it's easily the greatest Transformer (that actually transforms) that I own. I'm saying all this without even really looking the trailer over, in fact, it's going to stay in the box mostly because of space.

I don't feel like I overpaid at all, this is the Optimus Prime toy I've been dreaming of since I was barely old enough to talk. It's perfect.

No no, Silverbolt should be an XB-70. I've thought this for years. Big, white, very Concorde-esque---but there's actually space under the belly to keep robot bits in. A Concorde is almost impossible to work with (just like an SR-71) but the XB-70 has that big huge 6-engined intake assembly with integrated gear bays AND bomb bays. You could stuff the whole robot AND the combiner bits in there.

I really hope they've thought about that option, and aren't going to make a very G1-esque "robot with a Concorde on its back"---because that's the ONLY way you're ever going to be able to make a TF Concorde.

Plus--the XB-70's wings fold in real life---no "alt-mode-inaccurate" big ugly hinges in the middle of the wing like G1 Silverbolt to fold them up for robot mode, because the XB-70 already has big hinges in the wings designed in!

xb+70+Valkyrie.jpg

Alrighty guys, decided to snap a few Prime pictures with the new DSLR. They are a little dark even after I did some minor color correction, but new camera and an impromptu photo shoot so hopefully you can forgive. His eyes don't really show up blue in any of the shots, if I had used the flash though it probably would have picked it up better. The effect is definitely there, it just isn't nearly as vivid as MP-01.

Head shot

OP1.jpg

Another head shot

OP2.jpg

Just standing

OP3.jpg

Random pose one

OP4.jpg

Random pose two

OP5.jpg

A sort of "best of" shot from various lines

OP6.jpg

Just for kicks, the MPs with Sideshow Prime

OP7.jpg

And lastly a close up of Sideshow Prime's head just because

OP8.jpg

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

Any word on when we should expect to see Hasbro's MP-10 hit the streets? Hopefully by June I'm hoping

Ha ha, I'll be out of the country for most of the month, so I'm actually hoping May is a dry month!

I'm also going to be out of the country all through June, and I have to begin lab work full - time before after I come back before fall semester starts up again, so I'm REALLY hoping we get so see it in May, so I can have a few moments before the business of summer kicks in.

Meh. I'll probably look for the Legion-class "discs" since Hasbro never released the Scout-class Rumble or Frenzy. But I have some Laserbeak-looking scout from one of the movies, and I have the Ravage that came with Hound. As for Soundwave himself, he just doesn't look like a big enough improvement over the Deluxe version to merit buying him again when there are a ton of other toys out or coming that I want more.

Out of all the recent announcements, FOC voyager Soundwave is the only one that piques my interest. Having only starting my collection after the 2007 movie, and not yet able to find TFP Soundwave, this will mark the first time I'm getting a Soundwave with attachable minions, just like his G1 incarnation.

personally I'm way more excited about deluxe Prime Frenzy/Rumble http://www.tfw2005.c...nd-more-175009/

*insert obligatory Gurren Lagann comparison here*

But yeah, aint nothing wrong with that.

As for Soundwave...feh. The deluxe is OK, and this looks like a larger version of the same. I can't help but think of a washing machine/dryer when I look at the photo of his chest hanging open.

Well, I was getting my car inspected this morning, and the place I go for that is near a TRU. I hadn't been there in awhile, so I figured I'd stop on my way home. I wasn't expecting anything, since the two Targets and a Walmart I frequent haven't had much besides Bumblebee in some time.

They'd moved things around since I'd last been there. The aisle that used to have Transformers was full of Avengers and other Marvel film toys. But an endcap at the end was full of Transformers. That is, some of the DotM Deluxe Optimus with trailer, a ton of Prime Deluxes we've already seen, and probably a dozen each Voyager Optimus and Megatrons... and a solitary Voyager Powerizer Bulkhead.

Eventually, I found the actual Transformer aisle. And it's more of the same. Optimus and Megatron, tons of Deluxes and Legions, and some DotM figures.

And a solitary Powerizer Starscream.

Bulkhead, as anyone who's seen pics on the internet can tell, isn't so hot. The mech-tech (or whatever they're calling it) weapon is big, stupid, and there's no way to make him hold it that doesn't look stupid. The First Edition version doesn't just look better, it looks WAY better. Of course, there's no way for me to know for sure, since there was never any chance for me to obtain a First Edition version that didn't cost me more than I've spent on the entire Prime line so far.

Taken for what he is, his head sculpt is spot-on, and he's recognizable as Bulkhead... y'know, if Bulkhead went on a diet. Aside from his torso not being Bulkhead huge, everything else is fairly in proportion and reasoably poseable. He's got some back kibble, though. His transformation has a few tricks, but it's basically unfolding the kibble on his back, swinging his arms back behind him, moving the doors back, pulling out the front, and stuffing everything underneath. Sadly, this leaves most of his forearms and some of his feet visable, hanging from his undercarriage. In bot mode, he's a bit taller than Animated Voyager Bulkhead, but in alt mode, he's significantly smaller.

Starscream, meanwhile, is one of the best Prime toys so far. His bot mode is pretty much spot on, with his smirking, hunched head, spindly limbs, and what have you. He's got a little more junk on his feet, his shoulder armor isn't quite right, and his chest place has a gap for a light-piped Decepticon symbol. Oh, and he's got a nose cone for a butt. But he still looks great. And yeah, his mech-tech weapon is just as lame and stupid as Bulkhead or Optimus's, but unlike them his is almost superfluous. He's got two missiles that clip onto his wings in alt mode, and wouldn't you know it, you can peg them on his forearms in bot mode, giving him the null-ray-looking G1-inspired look of the show. Sadly, they're molded gray. I may have to paint mine red.

His transformation is pretty straightforward, aside from some bits with his shoulders. His arms actually make up a lot of the back of the plane. His legs spoil is alt-mode a bit, though. Aside from sticking out a bit, his heels and ankles have some decorative bits that jut out even further. And he doesn't have any landing gear. Still, I'm mostly used to jets like the Generation Seekers, with their limited poseability, or Silverbolt, Jetfire, and Thunderwing, where you've basically got a plane with a robot underneath that turns into a robot with a plane on his back. Compared to them, Starscream's looking pretty good in his alt mode.

there was never any chance for me to obtain a First Edition version that didn't cost me more than I've spent on the entire Prime line so far.
There's hope yet. According to Scream Man's Fwooshcast, Hasbro admitted to screwing up with the First Edition distribution (or lack thereof) and is trying to figure out how to get the sculpts released properly.

I've been reluctant to buy many of the Prime line so far; especially the characters that were in the First Edition lineup. Needless to say, Hasbro's statement was welcome news for me.

There's hope yet. According to Scream Man's Fwooshcast, Hasbro admitted to screwing up with the First Edition distribution (or lack thereof) and is trying to figure out how to get the sculpts released properly.

I've been reluctant to buy many of the Prime line so far; especially the characters that were in the First Edition lineup. Needless to say, Hasbro's statement was welcome news for me.

If they ever turn up for a reasonable locally, I'll replace the Bulkhead, Optimus, and Bumblebee I already have. I've got no real interest in deluxe versions of Optimus, Megatron, or Starscream, though, and I'm not convinced First Edition Arcee is actually better than the Robots In Disguise version. As for Cliffjumper, which version is better is kind of moot, he's just not an important enough character to buy twice. Heck, the only reason I bought him at all is that I wanted a new figure and I got tired of waiting for the next wave to be released.

Yeah, if you ever get a chance to buy the FE starscream, do it. That starscream is the best deluxe transformer I've ever owned. And from everything I've seen, he scales better with the other PRID toys.

Yeah, if you ever get a chance to buy the FE starscream, do it. That starscream is the best deluxe transformer I've ever owned. And from everything I've seen, he scales better with the other PRID toys.

We'll see. I mean, I get you on the scale thing. Voyager Starscream, hunched over, is a only a head shorter than Optimus or Megatron, a head taller than any of the deluxes, and about even with Bulkhead. Straighten him up and he's as tall as Optimus and Megatron, but he appears taller because he's so thin and his wings are higher than his head.

On the other hand, while his deluxe may well be great, his Voyager is pretty awesome too. And I just don't need two. Same reason I'm not going to buy Deluxe Optimus or Megatron if they ever turn up.

Well, I heard that a there may be a package of FE Starscream, FE Bumblebee, Silas, and a DVD this year. And I do kinda want FE Bumblebee, since RiD Bee is the worst Prime toy I own (basically all the RiD deluxes and Voyagers). So maybe I'll end up with deluxe Starscream that way.