1/48+fp's, 1/60+fp's, 1/72, 1/2k, 1/3k,1/100 and now 1/144

VF-18S Hornet

change in thread topic  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this change in topic

2. 2. Or do you prefer a part five

Mostly done weathering my 19 Adv. Still have to do the feet and super parts.

I'll do a proper shoot once I finish it all up.

This thing just has a retarded amount of detail in all the hidden areas.

Every time I think I've got it all, I find little hidden areas I missed doing a wash on.

I bet they even molded details in areas you can't see unless you took the thing apart.

VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_01.jpg

VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_02.jpg

as good as the Bandai came with all its fancy details but if it came like this!?!? Mind Blown! :o This looks sensational! :D

tumblr_mmao5vqopz1rq8ofko1_500.gif

Glad you guys like it!

Hmmmm... you should start again, finish doing the super parts and the feet then send it to me and I'll send you a new one. :D;)

J/K.. sorta..

Great work MJ it looks amazing! :wub:

Hehe. Well, I was debating doing my second one with the broken head laser also. I could do that one and trade it :p

as good as the Bandai came with all its fancy details but if it came like this!?!? Mind Blown! :o This looks sensational! :D

tumblr_mmao5vqopz1rq8ofko1_500.gif

I love that gif!

Here are more pics with everything finished.
Sorry for the lack of GERWALK pics. I messed with it for over an hour trying to get things locked in without scratching things.
Even without the boosters on, it was just frustrating so I gave up and moved on to battroid.

VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_03.jpg
VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_04.jpg
VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_05.jpg
VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_06.jpg
VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_07.jpg
VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_08.jpg
Super_VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_01.jpg
Super_VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_02.jpg
Super_VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_03.jpg
Super_VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_04.jpg

Super_VF-19Advance_Isamu_GERWALK_01.jpg

VF-19Advance_Isamu_battroid_01.jpg

VF-19Advance_Isamu_battroid_02.jpg

VF-19Advance_Isamu_battroid_03.jpg

Super_VF-19Advance_Isamu_battroid_01.jpg

Super_VF-19Advance_Isamu_battroid_02.jpg

Super_VF-19Advance_Isamu_battroid_03.jpg

Bandai_Arcadia_19s_fighter.jpg

Bandai_Arcadia_19s_battroid.jpg

VF19__YF29_fighter.jpg

Bonus pic: Isamu has hated ghosts ever since THAT incident in 2040 at Macross City. However, some joker stuck a transmitter on his booster pod when he wasn't looking and now he has a pet ghost.

VF-19Adv%252520%252520Ghost.jpg

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Please MacrossJunkie, put your pictures of the Arcadia and Bandai on the poll I created. By the way, which one do you like more?

Takatoys, you're more than welcome to link any of my pics you feel are appropriate. You can grab the links off of Flickr from these two albums: YF-19 and VF-19.

An easier alternative way may be to just hit quote on a post and pull the corresponding links out of my posts from the ones at the top or my older YF-19 posts 1 2

As for which I prefer, that is a tough choice. I believe I had voted for the Arcadia in the poll, but the preference is very minimal. The main factor was that my favorite mode is fighter and the Arcadia's fighter mode proportions are great. The slopes and shapes are more pronounced like on the nose and neck, whereas on the Bandai, it's almost straight in comparison and the gullet area has a hump in the middle (Not Bandai's fault, just how it was designed and showed in the movie). The Arcadia version also doesn't have that unsightly gap in the wings with the tab when FAST packs are installed. The Arcadia also has the option for being a 2-seater and the GERWALK mode just looks tons better due to where the rotational joints in the legs were placed.

On the other hand, the Bandai just has so much more detail that it's ridiculous. Huge points for that. Also, I didn't need to spend hours upon hours trimming, lining up and applying stickers since everything is tampo printed and there's an amazing amount of it. The ankles are nice and tight where I almost have to prop my Arcadia 19's up in battroid mode because they could fall over with a slight breeze due to the supremely loose ankles (although the rear right landing gear on my Bandai can't hold under the weight of the valk and always collapses the moment I set it down no matter what). The tranformation methods, while more difficult in some cases, are ingenious and very creative solutions to difficult problems.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Well I just paid for my VF-0A Shin, it's going to sit in my private warehouse till next payday and I'll pay for shipping on Thursday so that it will arrive on Monday, hope I have better luck with this one, and speaking of luck I got my hands on some gorilla glue. It says that it can adhere plastic to metal haven't tried it yet been busy with other things but hopefully Monday will be they day I get started, on those repairs on my 0D he;s getting tired of lying on his back. MJ saw your pics on Flickr, I love them especially that faceoff between the Arcadia YF-19 and the Bandai VF-19A Advance.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

Is this in relation to the half plastic, half metal ball in the hip to thigh mechanism? If so, I can save you some money, that plastic "cap" is not glued in many ball joints made this way. The pressure of the walls of the socket is what usually holds it in place.

I dismantled my VF-19Advance (warning: don't do this as it's a royal PITA to get back together) to see if I could loosen it up some on the side that is always too tight. It had that half/half ball like the 0D and it was not glued. And I recall some shoulder joints like this too.

In short, the lack of glue is not responsible for the joint pulling out. If I had to guess, I'd say it's poor tolerance between the ball and socket sizes. As in, the socket is too big for the ball somehow. That, or the lip inside the ball, closest to the opening isn't tight enough around the post side of the ball.

Glue will help with getting it back together but I don't think it'll help keep it that way.

Good news I was able to do the fix yesterday and the glue worked I just let the pictures show you. Okay the shots with the results of my labor is not in my computer as it's still in my camera, these are some of the shots I will be posting in the repair thread soon with some instructions. :) Gorilla glue works :)

post-269-0-80808400-1441155990_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-25073400-1441155994_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-52088200-1441155998_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-14805100-1441156005_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-45491200-1441156009_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-04994600-1441156014_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-66613400-1441156018_thumb.jpg

Good news I was able to do the fix yesterday and the glue worked I just let the pictures show you. Okay the shots with the results of my labor is not in my computer as it's still in my camera, these are some of the shots I will be posting in the repair thread soon with some instructions. :) Gorilla glue works :)

Thanks for sharing this Hornet. ;)

Also, can you repost it in the Macross Maintenance thread so that it will help others.

And can some mod please 'pin' that thread for others to check since it's related to quick fix on our beloved Valk collections. Thanks. :)

Edit: By the way, how did you manage to open up the thigh section in order to open up the intake area? I had a hard time just by trying to open it up and the back part, which has the blue paint, won't buldge somehow and I don't want to force it by prying it from the front. Any photos that you have when you dismantle or assembling the thigh section? I just want to tighten the knee joint and that's the part I need to open. Thanks. :)

Edited by no3ljm

Glad you guys like it!

Hehe. Well, I was debating doing my second one with the broken head laser also. I could do that one and trade it :p

I love that gif!

Here are more pics with everything finished.

Sorry for the lack of GERWALK pics. I messed with it for over an hour trying to get things locked in without scratching things.

Even without the boosters on, it was just frustrating so I gave up and moved on to battroid.

VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_03.jpg

VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_04.jpg

VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_05.jpg

VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_06.jpg

VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_07.jpg

VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_08.jpg

Super_VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_01.jpg

Super_VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_02.jpg

Super_VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_03.jpg

Super_VF-19Advance_Isamu_Fighter_04.jpg

Super_VF-19Advance_Isamu_GERWALK_01.jpg

VF-19Advance_Isamu_battroid_01.jpg

VF-19Advance_Isamu_battroid_02.jpg

VF-19Advance_Isamu_battroid_03.jpg

Super_VF-19Advance_Isamu_battroid_01.jpg

Super_VF-19Advance_Isamu_battroid_02.jpg

Super_VF-19Advance_Isamu_battroid_03.jpg

Bandai_Arcadia_19s_fighter.jpg

Bandai_Arcadia_19s_battroid.jpg

VF19__YF29_fighter.jpg

Bonus pic: Isamu has hated ghosts ever since THAT incident in 2040 at Macross City. However, some joker stuck a transmitter on his booster pod when he wasn't looking and now he has a pet ghost.

VF-19Adv%252520%252520Ghost.jpg

wow Macrossjunkie, it looks really awesome!

congratulations!

im tempted to try that myself on mine.

Hahaha! I just had to do this for my brand new VF-0A! Seeing this first would have been mighty helpful, but I through ok.

Thanks for sharing this Hornet. ;)

Also, can you repost it in the Macross Maintenance thread so that it will help others.

And can some mod please 'pin' that thread for others to check since it's related to quick fix on our beloved Valk collections. Thanks. :)

Edit: By the way, how did you manage to open up the thigh section in order to open up the intake area? I had a hard time just by trying to open it up and the back part, which has the blue paint, won't buldge somehow and I don't want to force it by prying it from the front. Any photos that you have when you dismantle or assembling the thigh section? I just want to tighten the knee joint and that's the part I need to open. Thanks. :)

Hahaha! I just had to do this for my brand new VF-0A! Seeing this first would have been mighty helpful, but I through ok.

Hi sorry it took me long to respond getting home from my job, and I never seem to have any time to mysyelf after a 40 minute commute from Philly I will have some detailed instructions worked up soon using word and upload them, sadly I didn't take picture during the dismantling, just after but to answer your question on how I seperated the leg from the intake joint. I simply used small screwdrivers both a flathead and a philliphead. There is a tab covering the screw in the thigh of the toy, just remove the tab and start unscrewing, the same with the uncovered screw in the intake.

As for the prying I used the small flathead in between the outer armor and the inner parts of the uppler and lower joints to open up the front just wide enough to get the intake joint out; however, this seems to only work for the front seam of the leg which works fine cause the pin that is in the intake connects to the lower thigh for the gerwalk to work must also be removed.

The only reason I say this works is to not place to much stress on the pegs to are tightly secured in the rear of the outer leg armor. Despite all the wiggling and prying the rear would not give more thant he front didI think they glued it during assembly, happy Labor Day

post-269-0-61917100-1441636758_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-35894800-1441636761_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-77330000-1441636763_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-40673900-1441636766_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-56119100-1441638385_thumb.jpg

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

Your 19P looks great with stickers! I would do the same to mine but I have mine in Battroid and don't want to change it back as I prefer to have the 19Kai in fighter. I wish they tampo the UN Spacy on the VF-19..

And your 29 group looks fantastic! Just missing Alto's 29 and its complete! Do you think you will get the Alto?

No. It's just toooo much red. Can't be that red unless ur a karaoke ninja named Basara....

Also, I did TRY to panel line the Zola 19, but ended up bailing out about half way in and washing it off as the Yamato lines were just damn shallow to hold the wash, which sucks as it was gonna look pretty cool. Arcadia could learn a few things from Bandai about how to do perfect panel lines.

Edited by derex3592

No. It's just toooo much red. Can't be that red unless ur a karaoke ninja named Basara....

Also, I did TRY to panel line the Zola 19, but ended up bailing out about half way in and washing it off as the Yamato lines were just damn shallow to hold the wash, which sucks as it was gonna look pretty cool. Arcadia could learn a few things from Bandai about how to do perfect panel lines.

yeah I guess they do look a little too red but still they ain't too bad.. I keep mine in fighter mode which looks a lot better! I think you should have another think about getting one! At least for the sake of finishing the collection seeing you're essentially 80% there already owning the others. And I think you'd appreciate it more once its in your hands!

And yes I have heard some folks having trouble with the shallow panel lines on the Yamato 19's.. but it has been successfully done though! a shame you bailed on it as it would have looked the bollocks!

VF-27β photos are done. :D

21212206088_d2467e0ad2_h.jpg

21373816916_3baa9170ab_h.jpg

21389183282_b9d8d1ae53_h.jpg

Hey Saburo do you think you could do a few more shots just like these above but with the clear canopy, boobed pilot (Grace) and with the engine intake covers removed? This is how I have mine on display and I think it would be cool to have some photos by you done the same way! I'd love to use them as my pc wallpaper..

If not then its all good.

Gorgeous photos Saburo! Geez you always manage to bring out the best in what ever ends up in front of your camera! Beautiful work as always!

And these photos just reaffirm my feeling that the (v1.5+) VF-27 and the Grace version in particular is indeed my favorite Frontier Valkyrie! B))

Thank you spanner! The VF-27 is my favorite of the Frontier Valks. especially the VF-27y (if they would only release ghosts for it). :)

Hey Saburo do you think you could do a few more shots just like these above but with the clear canopy, boobed pilot (Grace) and with the engine intake covers removed? This is how I have mine on display and I think it would be cool to have some photos by you done the same way! I'd love to use them as my pc wallpaper..

If not then its all good.

I can do that, but do you want the commander head on the fighter or the standard head? The reason I ask is because I swapped for the standard/CF head to display because the antenna/head gun was cracked when I opened the box. :(

Yeah the ghosts for Brera would be so cool! But I doubt they will ever make them.. -_-

That sucks that the head laser thing was broken.. Maybe then use the CF head, I don't mind.. unless you can swap the head laser from Brera just for the photo shoot! hehe! im kidding, I don't expect you to do that.

Looking forward to the photos! B))

Thank you spanner! The VF-27 is my favorite of the Frontier Valks. especially the VF-27y (if they would only release ghosts for it). :)

I can do that, but do you want the commander head on the fighter or the standard head? The reason I ask is because I swapped for the standard/CF head to display because the antenna/head gun was cracked when I opened the box. :(

noticed the crack in of you pictures, was it some manufacturing defect of a clumsy employee at Bandai dropped when he was putting in the tray. Well anyway my 0A has arrived today can't wait to open it up, but what I seeming from the VF-0d and A thread is that people is haveing the same problem with the A's half ball socket comming off like it did with the 0D. I hope I get lucky with this one, if not this time I'll take picture of the disassembly.