Official MacrossWorld Convention 2010 Information Thread

I think we all should take lessons from him.

That should be one of the workshops next year: "Sing Macross Songs Like a Manly Man Can" by Operator7G

On a side note, if anyone was wondering about the "One Day More" Macross AMV that I sang to during open mic, here's the link:

And background behind the AMV: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=1001

Edited by Char350

If the venue allows, our band Boobytrap will have several FireBomber songs done and ready. We have some that are 80% practiced and worked out, but it's that 20% that is the difference between "why are these guys up there" and "I'm glad these guys are rockin'". We'll probably also do a live band karaoke, so if anyone had a Macross song that we can do and wanted to sing it, they could. Working out the logistics of that.

That should be one of the workshops next year: "Sing Macross Songs Like a Manly Man Can" by Operator7G

/members_videoinfo.php?v=1001

*blush* (there's no blush emoticon!) Thank you guys. I suppose I have to learn a Basara song for next year but I think those songs are all out of my range.

I came across that Les Miserables video a few years ago and LOVED it! I think I may have been the only one in the room who "got it" though. Most didn't pay attention to the screen behind you guys but I think it was great!

• 2 months later...

Hey MW!!!

Thanks to Liz at LA Weekly, MW Con 2010 made it on the list of "Best of the Cons 2010"!! We were awarded "Most Fan-Friendly Convention" which is pretty awesome since i hear a lot of people on other forums think MW members can be A-holes sometimes...hahaha

check it out! We beat out AX, SDCC, and all the other cons out there!

http://blogs.laweekly.com/stylecouncil/2010/12/best_of_the_cons_2010.php

Awesome! Lets do this again next year!....Bee? :lol:

Wherever, whenever it's done, count me in to help as much as possible. With a new movie coming out in March or so, and Macross Ace selling well (I assume) there's a lot of stuff going on. this also includes toys, and customs which I can see a lot of people working on stuff as of late.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

There's been some talks about hosting a smaller con this year, sorta like a throwback to the old days when everyone just sat around, talked macross, sold things, shared customs, and hung out.... I won't be planning anything elaborate as the past 4 years, but would still like to host something potentially in September.

The last few years really took a lot out of me and i don't have as much energy to host MW Cons anymore. I think we all get burnt out at some point and this is pretty much it for me. if there are any competent, willing, and energetic folks out there that may be interested in planning an MW Con, speak up and show your interest. If your credentials are good, i'm sure the MW Con team would be happy passing the baton.

If we scale it back a lot, like back in the day, I think it will run itself. People who sell stuff can setup tables, customizers can bring in the awesome stuff, we have a t.v running some new or cool Macross stuff, maybe some video games. We all chip in for food, maybe a panel or two, and music. Custom contest, and if that's not enough (which probably is) maybe ask for some donations and sponsors? On day is enough too. Just my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

So the apt i live in has a clubhouse room we could hold this in. It doesnt get reserved its kinda first come first serve, but if we set up stuff early or late at night, the room would basically be ours.The only time anyone ever uses it is to watch sports games or the occasional kids birthday party. Its big but more small scale con size. Slightly bigger the the room at Jerrys place during the first con, good for 25 to 30 people.

The only thing is, atm its being redesigned so wont reopen until mid August, when it does it will have a full entertainement system including 4 widescreened plasmas put together as one big display, full surround sound stereo, internet etc, its looking really nice atm.

Also i live in Marina Del Rey, across the street from the Harbor which is a 2 minute walk, which opens up other possibilities.

Edited by SpacePirateNeko

• 2 weeks later...

Feel sick thinking this won't happen...

I was about to offer up my Dr. office/sleep lab..but we got our 50+" HDTV stolen along with some computers just a couple weeks ago, so no vids/games...

We in Newport Beach on bay , PCH ..Big patio with ocean view...two large empty rooms about 20'x 15' and 2 bedrooms that can be made empty fast.

Location may still be used if we can get someone to coordinate..I'm just too busy..

What happen to our UCLA connects??

Edited by orguss01

• 3 weeks later...

If I had a venue and all of the contacts, I'd have been willing to spearhead this. So, I'm sad it's not happening but it might not be such a bad thing. Next year is the 30th anniversary so we can try to make it even better for it! More things will be out and maybe we can have an even larger area for displays. Boobytrap (band) was working on a number of Macross songs for this year but I guess it will have to be for next year. So when shall we start planning?

So..., no mention of a 2011 MW Convention? :blink::huh::unsure:

Last I heard there was a place and day that was good, but that was it. I had a few customs to show as well. I guess if anyone wanted to do one, All that's needed is pretty much the space, and places to put up people's display pieces.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My feeling is that we're going to hold off for event this year. It is unfortunate, but in order to do an event like we did last year it took us over months in preparation and registration process and there is no talk as of now.

I would prefer if we cut back to one-day show, and do a simple meet-up party type event. But then next year is 30th anniversary of Macross. May be we can hope for something next year.

I think the consensus this year was to keep this year simple, and after a tentative date was pretty much set, I can't really say what happened afterwards. In anycase, holding of till next year for the official convention seems like what's going to happen. I know there were some people willing to host something, perhaps that would be an option for something small at least?

Sorry but i tried to get something going with Curamen from TFW to host a mini convention at his place in Long Beach, CA but we were never really able to connect. That and i've become extremely busy with work and am actually expecting our first child soon. =]

i pretty much don't have to will to be the lead in planning any more MW cons, so if Jason or Daisuke or someone really wants to take the lead, please go ahead and i'll support you guys as much as i can!

Can't say about next year either, but again, my MW con man days are pretty much behind me. Sorry to disappoint! But i'm sure we'll have MW Cons again sometime and somewhere