Bandai DX YF-30 Chronos

UN Spacy

Yeah, cool new stuff could come out, but I’m just feeling a bit tired/old for this collecting thing :)

Looking as how Bandai is now a lot behind Macross I can see them steer the designs thinking about easier to make toys. With the Transformers movies, the toy makers had to catch up to the radical new designs that didn’t take them into account. Like them or not, the truth is that the toys after that did get a lot better and more imaginative (the TFanimated and first edition TFPrime toys really are a step above the boxes they did in Energon and such).

You have to take into account that the fighter design in Macross reflects the design philosophy of current military fighters and product design. So the YF-30 looks like a hybrid between a F22/F35 and an Ipod :D . And the VF-0/VF-1 looks like the F-14/15/16/18 that were popular during the early 80s. Macross Plus/7 planes have design elements from the Eurofighter/Rafale and some stealth palnes (especially the canards).

Valkyries have also reoccurring themes. There are the angled dual tail fins, the arms between the legs, adjustable wing span attachable and bulky armor and a Gatling gun inside an old fashioned bomb casing.

That said I guess the next generation of Variable Fighters will look like the current drone design (Predator/Global Hawk) with armor patches and missile pods all over it.

You see the reason why I got in the toy collecting hobby were the few transformer toys I had when I was a kid. And I always wished that the toys would look and handle (transformation/articulation) like in the show. And I feel like the current Bandai and Yamato Valkyries as well as the Transformers have reached a sweet spot with the Valkyries on the upper end and say TF Prime Dreadwing on the other end. So my childhood wishes came true and I'm satisfied. So if the next step doesn't please me I can look at my Frontier/Masterpiece shelf and the world is o.k. until the next truly awesome toy comes around. Hobbies work that way I guess. :p

Game image of the YF-30 in 3 modes:

j5ZjYynaiJ4BKdQ0WRL5OQ.jpg

And a cleaner shot of the fighter:

5nwrjz9GiF000T.pMaUjPQ.jpg

Note the really unique FAST pack on top of battroid mode. More info here:

http://blog.yahoo.co...es/689978/index

One word sums this baby up: WANT!

Man, someone's said it all ready -the golden age of Macross is truly upon us! Geeze, I remember back in the day (late 80's) when I was hit by the Macross (then Robotech) craze...there was "no such thing as the internets" -at least not in the shape and form it's in now. All we had on the east coast of Aussie land were Toy World, KMart, BigW...and they barely stocked anything!

You have to take into account that the fighter design in Macross reflects the design philosophy of current military fighters and product design. So the YF-30 looks like a hybrid between a F22/F35 and an Ipod :D .

I think the PAK-FA belongs in there somewhere as well. I'm kinda disappointed there's so much hate/disappointment with the YF-24 family. Since Macross 30 is supposed to represent the final gate of the Frontier era and thus the end of using the YF-24 as a development platform, I'm sure we'll get new transformations with the next series. I almost feel like I'm alone in liking the YF-24 family...and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing other specifications for the YF-30 aside from the missile pod soon.

I think the PAK-FA belongs in there somewhere as well. I'm kinda disappointed there's so much hate/disappointment with the YF-24 family. Since Macross 30 is supposed to represent the final gate of the Frontier era and thus the end of using the YF-24 as a development platform, I'm sure we'll get new transformations with the next series. I almost feel like I'm alone in liking the YF-24 family...and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing other specifications for the YF-30 aside from the missile pod soon.

Uh...when was this a thing? Frontier is very popular here so don't let a few contrarians make you believe different. I'm with you on this "little" YF-24 thing, bud! B))

So...a VF-25 with delta wing... Bandai sure knows how to milk their products, never liked the Frontier designs still not liking them. What I particularly don't like if how every valk in Battroid mode from Frontier forwards looks almost the same....very Gundam. Aside from how this will be near impossible to get and expensive as f*ck.

Uh...when was this a thing? Frontier is very popular here so don't let a few contrarians make you believe different. I'm with you on this "little" YF-24 thing, bud! B))

Thanks, but it seems like quite a few people here don't like the YF-24 family. I have to admit, I don't really get it. Though everyone is entitled to their own opinions of course.

Thanks, but it seems like quite a few people here don't like the YF-24 family. I have to admit, I don't really get it. Though everyone is entitled to their own opinions of course.

Sure but it's definitely a minority even though they're quite outspoken about it. There's lots of love for the 24 and 25s here.

It basically did away with my biggest peeve with the frontier line - way too long noses. Wish the wings are cleaner though.

I agree, the balanced approach for nose, fuselage and cockpit on YF-30 is very welcomed.The overcompensating on all those direct predecessors never sat well with me either.

I must admit this is a design that has got me geared from the start. That has not happened since the SW-XA1 Schneeblume.

Battroid looks robust and streamlined, no kibble on legs and a head design that is more traditional and pleasing to the eye.

I am anxious to find out whether this will be the first official Valk with a waist joint function in Battroid. The image shows a waist line and the Lego Gerwalk prototype displayed supposed left and right rotation. How many times have I picked up my VF-19 wanting to twist the upper half on way or the other...

Yamato's VF-25 will be glorious

It's true Yammie is great at valk making but I don't see how they could further improve on the VF-25 Renewals outside of some joint tightening. I would go as far as saying Bandai did a pretty good job on the Renewals, just glad I never put cash down for the v1's O_O Edited by Duymon

It's true Yammie is great at valk making but I don't see how they could further improve on the VF-25 Renewals outside of some joint tightening. I would go as far as saying Bandai did a pretty good job on the Renewals, just glad I never put cash down for the v1's O_O

The renewal Frontier toys are excellent.

Some things you can extract from the current Yamato designs are covers for the screw holes on the back of the thighs, molded interior of the add-on armor and a matte finish.

I don't know how Yamato would handle the excessive use of detail on the Valks. I like the Bandai approach even if it's prone to paint scratching and I'm not a big fan of the sticker sheets.

Oh, and I guess availability would not be such an issue :) .

Edited by Scyla

Now that I think of it.... Bandai already has the molds to make two of those character valks... the all black YF-29 would be quite sexy.

Even better would be a new pieces to make the yf-29 prophecy, though I'd hope they'd make the proper long cockpit like on the model instead of just half-assing it with the second seat like on the other yf-25's O_o

It looks a little bit like the YF-23 from the ATF fighter program

The YF-23 was the inspiration for the YF-21 and VF-22. The competition between the YF-19 and 21 in Macross Plus was also a reference to the program itself.

Also, I know this has been well known for quite some time, but I still get blown away by the fact that Kawamori uses Lego to design his planes, and not some fancy 3D-model-rendering software. To make things even more amazing, they actually transform...

Edited by Actar

The YF-23 was the inspiration for the YF-21 and VF-22.

You're right! I'm curious why I didn't get that before. Must be the feminine legs. Damn, they are so distracting! :ohmy:

Maybe the cockpit bubble and intakes too. But the legs are disturbing!

I never understood why the people thing that the Frontier Valks look feminine with the VF-22 around. :lol:

The VF-11MAXL Kai looks feminine. Complete with bazoombas!

Because it's supposed to! The YF-21 was piloted by a manly man that was never angsty of his feelings.

Also most of the VF-25 pilots are busting with testosterone like Alto, Michael and Luca!!!

Because it's supposed to! The YF-21 was piloted by a manly man that was never angsty of his feelings.

Also most of the VF-25 pilots are busting with testosterone like Alto, Michael and Luca!!!

That's a new one! I wouldn't have ever described those three characters as "busting with testosterone." ;)

Hahahaha :D

I really want this thing! The only thing that looks odd is the missile pod FAST pack in fighter mode.

Yes, but the YF-21 was based on the Queadluun Rau female powered suit.

They're busting with oestrogen.

Gentlemen please! Let us not compare the sizes of their nosecones here. We have more important issues to consider!

When's it gonna be sold out?

Instead we're gonna compare how they fold and tuck?

:)

It's gonna be sold out before it is on sale. Isn't that the Bandai way?

Edited by NightCastle