Here's the problem. Nobody can fill the shoes of Harrison Ford. Nobody. It can't be done. Anyone they cast will be a disappointment.

We don't need these movies. Harrison Ford IS Han Solo. Period.

Disney never got that memo.

I think someone should have learned a lesson after episodes 1,2,3 that everyone will just complain about any prequel story to any well established character. I think they should make side stories to the new stuff and leave the old alone. With all this going from new to old it's just going to get confusing or stupid or both.

I think someone should have learned a lesson after episodes 1,2,3 that everyone will just complain about any prequel story to any well established character. I think they should make side stories to the new stuff and leave the old alone. With all this going from new to old it's just going to get confusing or stupid or both.

Uh, yeah, that's not why people complain about the prequels. It's because they suck.

This movie has the same problem that Rogue One will have but only more so. We all know how it is going to end. Han isn't going to die. He's going to make friends with Chewie and win the Falcon from Lando. We know what will happen. We just don't know how it will happen.

This movie has the same problem that Rogue One will have but only more so. We all know how it is going to end. Han isn't going to die. He's going to make friends with Chewie and win the Falcon from Lando. We know what will happen. We just don't know how it will happen.

Everybody knew the Titanic was going to sink and that Apollo 13 was going to make it home too. Not saying it will be good (many times prequels end up answering things that should never be answered) but knowing the outcome does not mean the movies will be good or bad. That goes even more so for Rogue One where the fate of most (all?) of the characters involved is unknown.

Does anyone here not know how Star Wars ends? Or that Vader is Luke's father? Are those films no longer good? Have you not watched them since they originally were in theaters?

Hell, any film based upon historical events already has a pre-determined outcome. The same can be said for films based upon established fiction.

I hated every last Transformers movie (and I've only seen the first one). Doesn't negate the fact that they are blockbusters.

:D ... proves that it is possible to polish a turd, or several, and people will flock to throw money at it... :p

Heh. It might prove that you can have too much of a good thing. But I'll keep my final judgement in reserve until the movie is out. I do like how Disney is entertaining and executing on in-universe stories like this and Rogue One, myself.

Ford? He's been trying to get out of this role since The Empire Strikes Back. Let the guy rest.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
22 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

OK that was %^&*ing %^&*ed. I am more stupid for looking at that pic. it would be better with TWD cast in the front seats (with Peter's Couch).... :/

• 3 months later...

It sounds like they got the job because they wanted to make a comedy. Disney wanted a Western with some laughs but when it started shaping up like Blazing Saddles meets Wagons East they decided to switch things up.  I had zero hope for this film and that remains unchanged despite my enjoyment of Rogue One.

Han is hand down my favorite Star Wars character and I never ever wanted this film.  I think they're still trying to tug at every strand of nostalgia that they can without any consideration how the ball of yarn is coming apart.

At least Lucas isn't directing them anymore haha

I loved the original trilogy as a kid but I have to say upon rewatching only empire seemed like a moderately good film (IMHO). Star Wars and Return did not hold up well and the prequels were god awful. 

TFA and RO were just okay so I'm not super excited about the expanded universe. Hope it's good but...meh

9 minutes ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

At least Lucas isn't directing them anymore haha

I loved the original trilogy as a kid but I have to say upon rewatching only empire seemed like a moderately good film (IMHO). Star Wars and Return did not hold up well and the prequels were god awful. 

TFA and RO were just okay so I'm not super excited about the expanded universe. Hope it's good but...meh

Other than flashier coats of paint the newer films really haven't been directed or written any better than the Lucas directed films.  Still the same clumsy dialog mistakes odd performances from their actors and/or missed opportunities to make something more interesting (mostly I'm commenting on TFA because it's an Attack of the Clones Prequel mess that people refuse to acknowledge.)

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

Other than flashier coats of paint the newer films really haven't been directed or written any better than the Lucas directed films.  Still the same clumsy dialog mistakes odd performances from their actors and/or missed opportunities to make something more interesting (mostly I'm commenting on TFA because it's an Attack of the Clones Prequel mess that people refuse to acknowledge.)

Agreed.

Its a damn shame because the Star Wars universe and mythology is a wonderful backdrop for a competent storyteller.

Look at the the way the Marvel universe was used in "Logan" and "Legion" for example. Not perfect stories by any stretch but I found them to be very interesting takes on the characters and very entertaining to boot!

"Kennedy promised a new director would be announced shortly. Sources say Ron Howard is in talks to take over the film, but there is no deal as yet."

Richie Cunningham? Well, he is a good director with experience on both action and character driven stories.  Gotta say I'm a bit sad though, cuz I really love The LEGO Movie. I mean, a Han Solo flick has to be the fun SW flick, filled with all kinds of scoundrelly double crosses and gotcha moments.  I feel like Lord+Miller could have pulled that off well.

Oh well, fingers crossed though.