HG and Robotech Debates, ep. 8

azrael

One thing can be certain though, Tommy Yune is sure as hell no Kawamori, or anyone who made careers out of designing mechas before and after, despite being given that and more responsibilities that both requires it and sometimes using Kawamori's, and others, designs due to legal rights. Carl Macek was worse.

I certainly won't dispute your assessment of Yune. When I was talking about mechanical designers being as good or better than Kawamori I thought about people working on AAA projects such as Gundam or other heavy hitters. Yune is not even in the same class though.

Macek never was into mechanical design so how does he enter the picture ?

Edited by Cobra__

That's the point, with no experience in mechanical design he still "created" the Veritech using Kawamori's designs.

He didn't create any new models did he ?

Changing a name is just that, how can you equate that to the creation of a mechanical design baffles the mind.

He didn't create any new models did he ?

Changing a name is just that, how can you equate that to the creation of a mechanical design baffles the mind.

And taking other people’s designs and slapping the name on them for his own storytelling purposes is any better? He did it four times in a row.

I'm sorry but if we're going to compare Kawamori to Macek, Macek doesn't win in any category whatso ever. Even Arimaki, lead designer of Mospeada has accomplished more successfully than Macek has/ had to date. Macek can only really claim the successful dub he worked into calling Robotech.

And taking other people’s designs and slapping the name on them for his own storytelling purposes is any better? He did it four times in a row.

If it's any consolation, his thievery isn't exclusive to pirating Japanese animated works. Ever listen to the orugh cut commentary of Heavy Metal? He essentially takes credit for the full production, which is funny since Jonathan Landis doesn't mention him at all in his commentary...

I'm sorry but if we're going to compare Kawamori to Macek, Macek doesn't win in any category whatso ever. Even Arimaki, lead designer of Mospeada has accomplished more successfully than Macek has/ had to date. Macek can only really claim the successful dub he worked into calling Robotech.

I'm willing to argue Arimaki is more accomplished than Kawamori. For the most part Kawamori is known for transforming planes, outside of that there's only a few examples of attempts at designing super robots and 0083. Arimaki's designs run the gambit from transforming planes, super robots, tanks, power armor, guns, ships, bikes, and pretty much anyrhing mechanical. His designs are iconic and pretty much everywhere.

I'm willing to argue Arimaki is more accomplished than Kawamori. For the most part Kawamori is known for transforming planes, outside of that there's only a few examples of attempts at designing super robots and 0083. Arimaki's designs run the gambit from transforming planes, super robots, tanks, power armor, guns, ships, bikes, and pretty much anyrhing mechanical. His designs are iconic and pretty much everywhere.

Yeah, Kawamori's done almost nothing of note outside of Valkyries and that one gundam OVA. Crusher Joe, GPX cyber formula, and the Armored core games are so small time. And it's not like he's provided designs for anything like Ghost in the shell, or the patlabor movies.

No sir, Macross and 0083, that's all the noteworthy stuff Kawamori has ever worked on. :rolleyes:

If it's any consolation, his thievery isn't exclusive to pirating Japanese animated works. Ever listen to the orugh cut commentary of Heavy Metal? He essentially takes credit for the full production, which is funny since Jonathan Landis doesn't mention him at all in his commentary...

Having seen Heavy Metal 2000... wow.

Yeah, Kawamori's done almost nothing of note outside of Valkyries and that one gundam OVA. Crusher Joe, GPX cyber formula, and the Armored core games are so small time. And it's not like he's provided designs for anything like Ghost in the shell, or the patlabor movies.

No sir, Macross and 0083, that's all the noteworthy stuff Kawamori has ever worked on. :rolleyes:

Don't forget Optimus Prime!

Big whoop. Shinji Aramaki has Bubble Gum Crisis, Megazone 23, the Appleseed movies, Madox-01, Gasaraki, and part of Halo Legends.

Both have done work on OVA's for Gundam, and both worked on the toys that eventually became Transformers. Aramaki even did the mechanical designs for M.A.S.K.!

Big whoop. Shinji Aramaki has Bubble Gum Crisis, Megazone 23, the Appleseed movies, Madox-01, Gasaraki, and part of Halo Legends.

Both have done work on OVA's for Gundam, and both worked on the toys that eventually became Transformers. Aramaki even did the mechanical designs for M.A.S.K.!

Um yeah, the most known design on the planet which is Optimus Prime not to mention other transformers, As any kid about MASK, then ask em about Optimus Prime, case closed

Why is this turning into an Aramaki vs. Kawamori contest?

If I recall, neither designer's initial drawings for the Diaclone and Microchange toys that became Transformers were the final toy versions anyways.

But they're both successful directors who have made names for themselves in the industry. Both of them an interesting history with Ichiro Itano as well :3

Very true, both are gifted individuals and successful, I think Kawamori is just better known in the industry. Doesn't make him more or less talented

It started as a comparison of Macek which is absurd to compare him to either

Edited by pfunk

But they're both successful directors who have made names for themselves in the industry. Both of them an interesting history with Ichiro Itano as well :3

Bingo. Both are successful mechanical designers and directors who have created plenty in their fields than Macek.

On top of what others have mentioned, Kawamori also worked on Eureka 7, Aquarion, Basquash, and was also asked to design a fighter for the new Ace Combat: Assault Horizon. You may want to check a few facts before rambling.

I don't know what poor decision you went with to create a worthless argument, but your comment above makes me think you still play in a sandbox at school. To add to that, if you're going to use M.A.S.K. as one of your arguments, it's probably more of a detriment to your cause. I can't call it an argument, as you've managed to degrade it into a contest of how much you want your opinion to count to us.

On top of what others have mentioned, Kawamori also worked on Eureka 7, Aquarion, Basquash, and was also asked to design a fighter for the new Ace Combat: Assault Horizon. You may want to check a few facts before rambling.

To be fair, Aquarion is transforming planes. It's just a more Getter Robo style of transforming planes.

Vision of Escaflowne had a transforming steampunk dragon, though! WITH A CAPE.

Now, what's with the hating on MASK?

Kawamori also did some of the future design for Cowboy Bebop, designed the robot dog "Aibo," and did a CG transformation design for an automobile manufacturer a couple years ago.

Correction: Kawamori designed one version of Sony's robotic pet Aibo. Not the original or most common ones, either.

He designed a limited collector's edition version late in the product line. And wasn't the only person to have such a model.

I don't know what poor decision you went with to create a worthless argument, but your comment above makes me think you still play in a sandbox at school. To add to that, if you're going to use M.A.S.K. as one of your arguments, it's probably more of a detriment to your cause. I can't call it an argument, as you've managed to degrade it into a contest of how much you want your opinion to count to us.

Thankyou for such a wonderfully pointless condescending post. I'll be sure to file it un D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. To make you feel a little better about yourself I'll play along for a little bit though.

1. You may not like M.A.S.K. but that's your own personal opinion, but it was popular enough to have a figurefrom it added to the G.I. Joe 25th line.

2. You claim its my fault the argument degraded into a contest, when I wasn't the one that started the "so and so did this and this" stuff which you yourself decided to add to.

3. It obvious my opinion counts to you other wise you wouldn't have responded in such a high and mighty holier than thou way.

4. My opinion is that Kawamori is not the end all be all greatest mechanical designer. There are other like Aramaki who I consider just as good if not greater.

5. Nobody outside of this forum gives a crap Kawamori did a car commercial, or did the mecha/plane designs on a video game/forgetable series like GPX. The problem is they're not iconic or memorable no matter how good they are. Nevermind how much I personally like them. Transforming fighters are what he's known for, its what he's cut his teeth on, its also what he's essentially typcast with.

6. Finally its a desert themed tactical diorama map not a sandbox :p