Macross / Robotech episode 1 CG progress

Jay-Lew

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am going to join everyone in saying this: "WOW" :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Jay-Lew: I like your city diorama. In some way, it resembles the Macross City theme that was being used in one of the old Macross Model Kits (Nichimo). The attached pic is the city diorama from that model kit: :)

All you need to do now is add a river/lake on one side of the city :lol:

post-282-1131733117_thumb.jpg

Edited by rnurmin

WOW!!! Just have to say How amazing this looks!! Your modelling skills are pretty damn Impressive this even wants to take me back to the Idea I have of doing a Robotech/Macross Fan Film I abandoned the idea cause the C.G. Modelling I saw sucked big time but this is simply amazing my friend!!

Regards,

Roberto

Thanks all for the compliments and feedback. I've been out of town for the last 3 weeks, so I haven't had a chance to do any work lately. Have a few projects at home I need to take care of now. I should be able to get back to this in a month or so. I will keep all you posted.

Thanks again!

Jason

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
OI, just out of curiosity when you're modeling how do you get those rounded edges on your sdf1 model. My NURB's deform the model too much... or is there an easier way of doing it?

353692[/snapback]

I am modeling this in 3ds MAX. I start out by building a low - poly for the basic shap, them applying meshsmooth to ridiculously high amounts of polys, them adding the details after with simple inset, extrude, bevel, etc. functions.

Hope this helps!

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

You mentioned earlier that it would take you a couple of years to render all of this, this is just an idea, but why not send out specified sections to us, and well render it for you. if you spread it out between like 20 people wed be able to finish it in under a month. Just an idea

Great Idea... Wonder how many comps it would take? There are rendering companies that also render stuff for a small fee say, 5 dollars are so. They've got rooms full of rendering machines.

also Jay-Lew, uh is there a difference between mesh smooth and nurbs?

PS see my thread on VF-1S model!

Edited by wongster

• 2 weeks later...
Great Idea... Wonder how many comps it would take? There are rendering companies that also render stuff for a small fee say, 5 dollars are so. They've got rooms full of rendering machines.

also Jay-Lew, uh is there a difference between mesh smooth and nurbs?

PS see my thread on VF-1S model!

359550[/snapback]

Thanks for the info, when I get to the rendering phase, I'll look into that.

To answer your question Wongster, meshsmooth and NURBS are different. Meshsmooth is basically just ploygon sub-dividing. I use a low-poly model to get the shape I want, then sub-divide the heck out of it. Then once the poly's are nice and dense, I can select edges, and faces, and chamfer, bevel, inset them, etc. I posted thease a while back, but I'll put them in this thread also, my VF-1A that I built using the meshsmooth technique used to make the SDF-1 model.

Hope this helps!

post-3050-1138058167_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1138058174_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1138058181_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1138058197_thumb.jpg

I posted thease a while back, but I'll put them in this thread also, my VF-1A that I built using the meshsmooth technique used to make the SDF-1 model.

Hope this helps!

363433[/snapback]

I think I posted this in the thread you refered to but I'm not sure. That VF-1A looks just about perfect. The only thing I see that looks a little off is the rear landing gear bay doors. There should be 3 doors for each bay and it looks like yours only has 2 doors. I'll see if I can find a pic that'll show you want I'm talking about.

Still I can't wait to see more,

Carl

hey jay, i'm having a little difficulty with my own model... that little section at the back, do you think you can render me the side view of that bad boy with the legs down? ty! don't really know how these things fit together.

the main thing is, how does that uh, little section between the legs come up when its transforming from valkarie to battloid?

and do you think I could borrow the images you used to model the thing? I don't have access to a lot of those resources :p

Edited by wongster

• 4 weeks later...
hey jay, i'm having a little difficulty with my own model... that little section at the back, do you think you can render me the side view of that bad boy with the legs down? ty! don't really know how these things fit together.

365707[/snapback]

Hey Wongster! Sorry it took so long, I haven't been on in a while. Here are some renders of the back area thus far with the legs out of the way. Hope they help. Also, I've been down from my Macross work for a bit, but I am slowly getting back into it. Decided to take a break from the SDF-1 for a bit and start texturing my VF-1A. Should have some initial stuff to show soon. It's been tough lately, as life is super busy, as well as the fact that a buddy of mine I work with has gotten me hooked on playing EVE ONLINE.

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!! MMORPG's . . . . . it's like CRACK . . . . . . can't stop . . . . .

PLAYING!!!!!!!!! Every time I try to get some work done, I hear EVE beckoning to me. Must . . be. . . . strong, and resist! But seriously, I'm determined to get some texture work done on my VF-1 very soon.

Later all,

Jay-Lew

post-3050-1141118192_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1141118202_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1141118210_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1141118219_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

man thats a jaw dropper

I admire the detail

One little thing about the model though... Besides the fact that your cockpit is AMAZINGLY detailed and the leg joints a soooooooooo much better than mine... I think that the contour of the nose is a bit... well off. Unless of course you meant it to be that way. The nose and cockpit section sort of looks like its a really big egg. Its missing that funny curve at the bottom that makes it look interesting... plus the nose tip is slightly angled.

Edited by wongster

Absolutely AMAZING !!!!!

A little request:

could you make a great WALLPAPER (1280*1024) whit the SDF ???

It will be perfect for alla Macross fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

381893[/snapback]

I've had a few people ask for wallpaper resolution render of the SDF-1, so here is one at 1600X1200. However, for some reason I can't seem to upload any images wider than 1000 pixels, so I had to cut it up into 4 pieces. So anyone who wants it has to use photoshop or some other images edito to re-assemble the 4 corners. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only way I could find to upload such a hi-res image. If anyone knows how to upload a high-res image, please let me know. Hope you enjoy it!

post-3050-1142923277_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1142923285_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1142923294_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1142923303_thumb.jpg

Absolutely AMAZING !!!!!

A little request:

could you make a great WALLPAPER (1280*1024) whit the SDF ???

It will be perfect for alla Macross fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

381893[/snapback]

I've had a few people ask for wallpaper resolution render of the SDF-1, so here is one at 1600X1200. However, for some reason I can't seem to upload any images wider than 1000 pixels, so I had to cut it up into 4 pieces. So anyone who wants it has to use photoshop or some other images edito to re-assemble the 4 corners. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only way I could find to upload such a hi-res image. If anyone knows how to upload a high-res image, please let me know. Hope you enjoy it!

382404[/snapback]

photobucket should be able to handel it i think

Hi, Jay

I can't do anything but prise yer work. It's really amazing. I've been following this thread I found a couple weeks ago, and it's really interesting. I noticed that you were looking for references on the island/city layout. Lucky, I found this storyboard/sketch drawn by Shoji Kawamori for the first Macross episode (I believe) and think that it might a great resource for the city layout. I'm not sure if you had seen it before.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/art/mcr111l.jpg

That's if you're willing to move all the buildings and stuff.

Keep it up! :D