Heres a writeup of the Launch Ceremony I did:

http://www.starblazers.com/html.php?page_id=679

My only complaint is you didn't get enough shots of the girls in the Yuki costume! :)

If you don't mind i'd like to ask you something. Since you work for/with the guys at Voyager Entertainment can you tell me why only starblazers has been released in the states, but not the original un-edited series? I know the original movies have been released but its not the same.

Oh wow thanks! Excellent work, man! Those Yuki's were super cute...

Actually they were a little hard to take pics of because they were busy passing pamphlets out as people came in. Having said that, I've seen some good Yuki's in the past ;-)

(I swear I should water mark these things!)

post-9325-0-31069800-1330848442_thumb.jpg

(↑Taken at an arcade show a few years back)

post-9325-0-98211200-1330848459_thumb.jpg

(↑Taken at a pachinko machine launch event)

If you don't mind i'd like to ask you something. Since you work for/with the guys at Voyager Entertainment can you tell me why only starblazers has been released in the states, but not the original un-edited series? I know the original movies have been released but its not the same.

Actually I dont. As that article states I'm a correspondent for the website from time to time. Having said that, from personal experience/knowledge, the nostalgia in the West is for Starblazers (not Yamato) and that has been released as a boxset. Heck, no publisher in the US was even interested in Resurrection or the live action movie (which only Australia and Russia have gotten so far) because they dont think they will sell, so I cant see any way that releasing the original series outside of Japan would be a viable financial proposal, even without any potential lingering rights issues that may or may not exist. But if you are familiar enough with the story to not need subs (and by this point, who isnt?) the season 1 blu-ray boxset comes out in Japan this year and is the same region as the US. Its also a great way to show support for the franchise :-)

That was an awesome and informative write up. Does Yamato have any forums like Macrossworld?

Thanks for the kind words! As for forums - not really, Starblazers.com doesnt have a community section. Its more like a chronicle of all available information regarding Yamato over the years, handled more or less exclusively by Tim Eldred (who puts a heck of a lot of time in on the site) with some input from people who can translate, attend events when he isnt able to make to Japan, etc).

Actually, I'd really like to get some sort of permanent index for event reports/reviews happening here on MW. And by that I mean actually hosted - the Events page hasnt been updated since 2006 and many of the report event links are sadly broken.

Edited by Tochiro

Does anybody know anything about the "Cosmo Dreadnought Mahoroba" movie project Leiji Matsumoto has coming for 2013? I know Mahoroba is something of a sister ship to the Yamato, theres an unfinished manga based on the Mahoroba, and both ships appeared in the Galaxy Express manga together.

After digging around google I found a forum where someone took some pics of a promotional standee...

http://www.sgcollect.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64445

Super robot? Meets Yamato?

Does anybody know anything about the "Cosmo Dreadnought Mahoroba" movie project Leiji Matsumoto has coming for 2013? I know Mahoroba is something of a sister ship to the Yamato, theres an unfinished manga based on the Mahoroba, and both ships appeared in the Galaxy Express manga together.

After digging around google I found a forum where someone took some pics of a promotional standee...

http://www.sgcollect...showtopic=64445

Super robot? Meets Yamato?

Ask and you shall recieve ;-)

Actually that promotional stand shot was taken by me - i wasnt aware that that site was using it without my permission, sigh. Not that I mind that much its just that I got into an argument with security (strictly no pictires - of that standee only) so it would be nice to get some credit.

Anyways, mahoroba is due to be a theatrical anime -I was at the event that it was announced at. I threw some notes together based on what little information was forthcoming and thrw a report togther along with a friend and drinking buddy (Anton Kholodov- the model for the new Dessler character design in Yamato 2199). The report starts approx. 1/3 down the page:

http://www.starblaze...php?page_id=663

I have some more pics at home. they arent the greatest quality since many were taken on the sly, but theres one or two more of the robot and character designs. I'll try to put a few up after work today.

Since that event theres been no further news on the project which I find a little disturbing. I really hope it doesnt get cancelled because it has some of the most diverse character designs I've seen him do since Dai-yamato Zero-go (apsolutely appaling cheaply made animation with terrible CG but damn the character designs were great!). But with the Leiji Matsumoto Ozma OVA, the CG Captain Harlock and Mahoroba, the next 2 years are looking pretty damn good for Matsumoto fans :-)

(oh, I managed to get Itabashi's autograph too!)

Its a smallish pic, but heres a better view of the cutout of the mahoroba and the robot

post-9325-0-69272500-1331044292_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tochiro

• 2 weeks later...

That is fantastic news!! Can you guys recommend a good place to purchase this blu-ray? Thanks

Chris

Personally I tend to favour Amazon JPN because they offer a decent preorder discount and ship for free within Japan.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%AE%87%E5%AE%99%E6%88%A6%E8%89%A6%E3%83%A4%E3%83%9E%E3%83%88-2199-%E2%91%A0-Blu-ray-%E5%87%BA%E6%B8%95%E8%A3%95/dp/B00799I57A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331856100&sr=8-1

Others may recommend different sellers however.

• 2 weeks later...

It better not be an April Fool's joke! The second series was always my favorite of the two.

I'm wondering if they'll update the episode that takes place on Titan to reflect what we know now about it.

Ugh - as I thought...just confirmed as an April fools joke ^^; But hey, if enough people buy the blurays, who knows what might happen!

Edited by Tochiro

wow... will 2199 ever come over to the US? that film clip was about as impressive to me as seeing Mzero episode 1 almost a decade ago... very inspiring...

wow... will 2199 ever come over to the US? that film clip was about as impressive to me as seeing Mzero episode 1 almost a decade ago... very inspiring...

JPN BD have Eng subs and are the same region as the US so no need to wait! Having said that, I doubt there will be an actual physical release in the US. Streming could be a possibility though.

Hey Tochiro I just wanted to say thanks for the effort you're putting on all things Yamato/starblazers, and Leiji Matsumoto. :)

I also have a question that I need your help on. What is the connection between Leji Matsumoto and Godzilla? I was reminded of a photo of yours from the Mahoroba event that had a lot of Matsumoto collectables and one of them is supposedly a Godzilla figure designed by him. What can you tell me of it? I also found pictures of a poster for Godzilla vs Mothra drawn by him. Did he do a manga adaptation?

JPN BD have Eng subs and are the same region as the US so no need to wait! Having said that, I doubt there will be an actual physical release in the US. Streming could be a possibility though.

Are official release English subs good though, I have a friend at work that says that official release subs can be "iffy" and sometimes are even worse than some HK subs.

Chris

Ugh - as I thought...just confirmed as an April fools joke ^^; But hey, if enough people buy the blurays, who knows what might happen!

Yup - we will hear about season 2 after the new season 1 is done...

This will be my first time buying a disk direct from Japan, where do you guys recommend ordering the BD version of the film?

Are official release English subs good though, I have a friend at work that says that official release subs can be "iffy" and sometimes are even worse than some HK subs.

Chris

With all due respect to your friend, that is utter rubbish. HK English subs for anime are often based on the Chinese translation of the Japanese and end up quite mangled/leave the characters Chinese names in the subs, etc. The ones that are good usually turn out to be directly ripped from fansubs. Live action films are another issue as these are usually legit (Eng. subs on HK films is a strange hangover from Hong Kongs colony days) and done by people who seem to have a better grasp of English than the pirate groups releasing the majority of anime over there do.

Eng. subs on Japanese releases tend to come from one of two sources - (1)subs from a previous US/foreign release of the property or (2)done from scratch for the show - this is increasingly the case and I have yet to come across a bad example. From the Patlabor movies to Haruhi, From Gundam Unicorn to Ozuma, legit Japanese releases with English subs tend to be of fairly high quality.

In the case of Y2199, the subs were done by Sam Pinansky who was recently interviewed on the ANN Cast: http://www.animenews...cast/2012-03-09

The secret project he says he cannot talk about on air is, in fact, Y2199. First 2 eps have been subbed with 3-6 awaiting the end of production before they can be subbed as well for release in June.

Hey Tochiro I just wanted to say thanks for the effort you're putting on all things Yamato/starblazers, and Leiji Matsumoto. :)

I also have a question that I need your help on. What is the connection between Leji Matsumoto and Godzilla? I was reminded of a photo of yours from the Mahoroba event that had a lot of Matsumoto collectables and one of them is supposedly a Godzilla figure designed by him. What can you tell me of it? I also found pictures of a poster for Godzilla vs Mothra drawn by him. Did he do a manga adaptation?

Interesting question! I know some details but not much in the way of background information. I even passed your question on to Tim Eldred over at Starblazers.com, who mentioned that Matsumoto's involvement was largely a mystery.

What I can confirm is that Matsumoto was involved in two Godzilla projects in the past.

(1) Godzilla figure - Matsumoto designed a figure based on the 1954 version for Zero Goods

http://www.uchusen.c...-goz-ucred.html

http://www.zerogoods...09_godzila.html

Zero Goods does a bunch of merchandising with Matsumoto, most aimed at high-end collectors with prices to match.

http://www.zerogoodsuniverse.com/

(2) Matsumoto also designed a poster for the 1980 rerelease of the 1964 film Mothra vs Godzilla. (from Jpn Wiki).

This is as far as his work on the franchise goes, afaik. Hope this helps!

Edited by Tochiro

LOVING the mechanical detailing. :)

Me too. It adds a bit of realism to it...nice little effect. I love the visitble rivets, the movement of the ships in space, they added zero gravity at times. The one thing I'm still not fond of is the blast from the cannons....they come out looking and sounding very 1980s.

The cannon fire from Yamato on the other hand (from the trailer) looks like it was still firing the original 18 in ammo though....cool scene, not sure if it means anything (different armament Yamato?).

With all due respect to your friend, that is utter rubbish. HK English subs for anime are often based on the Chinese translation of the Japanese and end up quite mangled/leave the characters Chinese names in the subs, etc. The ones that are good usually turn out to be directly ripped from fansubs. Live action films are another issue as these are usually legit (Eng. subs on HK films is a strange hangover from Hong Kongs colony days) and done by people who seem to have a better grasp of English than the pirate groups releasing the majority of anime over there do.

Eng. subs on Japanese releases tend to come from one of two sources - (1)subs from a previous US/foreign release of the property or (2)done from scratch for the show - this is increasingly the case and I have yet to come across a bad example. From the Patlabor movies to Haruhi, From Gundam Unicorn to Ozuma, legit Japanese releases with English subs tend to be of fairly high quality.

In the case of Y2199, the subs were done by Sam Pinansky who was recently interviewed on the ANN Cast: http://www.animenews...cast/2012-03-09

The secret project he says he cannot talk about on air is, in fact, Y2199. First 2 eps have been subbed with 3-6 awaiting the end of production before they can be subbed as well for release in June.

Thanks Tochiro....that was more or less why I asked the question because I was hoping he was wrong. This is the first bleary from Japan I will be buying and am very glad to here it is getting a top notch treatment. :)

Chris