Macross / Robotech episode 1 CG progress

Jay-Lew

I've always prefered the TV version of the Macross to the DYRL version, and this has got to be the closest thing to a perfect TV Macross that I have ever seen. You really capture the softness and sleekness the TV version had, which is why I prefer it to the clunkier DYRL version. I'm really at a loss for words to describe how increadible that thing is. Good Job!

(PS: any chance you'll attach a Deadelus and Prometheus to it even though that doesn't happen in the first episode?)

Hello all! Sorry I haven't posted in a bit. Life has been VERY busy the last few weeks! Progress is going alot slower than I would like right now, however, I have been able to get a bit more done. I built the support structures holding the ship up in the middle of the city, and came up with a big support building that the clamps sit on. I've also just started to block out Macross city as well. The city is in a very early state, but I've got a little bit of it in there. Anyhow, here are the pics. Let me know what you think!

post-3050-1127470530_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1127470541_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1127470553_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1127470562_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1127470572_thumb.jpg

Howdy all! Did some more work on the city. Built some detailed buildings. Still working on the over-all city layout, and the more detailed airbase. Here are some updates. Not sure, but I think I need to either maked the SDF-1 bigger, or the city smaller. Opinions?

Thanks,

Jason.

post-3050-1127932938_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1127932974_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1127932981_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1127932990_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1127932997_thumb.jpg

Not sure, but I think I need to either maked the SDF-1 bigger, or the city smaller. Opinions?

Thanks,

Jason.

332300[/snapback]

Well these give me the sense that the buildings are too densely packed, with maybe not enough variation in the size of the buildings. I don't have a 10th of the skill you do so take this as just me trying to be helpful. Personally I think it might be best to start with the street layout you want for your city. From the street layout mark the green areas, the residential areas, the shopping areas, etc. A city isn't just 40+ story skyscrapers. I think streets, cars, a park with trees, a few departments stores with large parking lots, schools, and the sign of a residential area would help alot with making the size of everything look better.

Just my 2 cents,

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww

By the way, I really liked what I saw of this building too. I like the curves and what looks like a helipad on top. Did you remove it? I don't see it in the last set of pictures.

I also like how in this picture the shorter buildings help break up the space between the skyscrapers. Even though most of the buildings are less detailed I think it is better spacing wise.

Carl

post-317-1127946138_thumb.jpg

Edited by wwwmwww

Ok, I'm back! Thanks again for all the advice, and positive feedback. It's very encouraging! Things are going really slow right now, as I recently purchased the new Dawn of War expansion pack, Winter Assult, and well, my macross work has taken a bit of a side seat to playing WA. But, I have managed to make a few nights here and there to do some more work, so here are some more updated images. Mostly just re-working Macross city. Will start adding detail to the airbase, and more support buildings around SDF-1 soon. Anyhow, let me know what you guys think.

Oh, finally got around to adding a little icon for myself, so I am no longer "Cannon Fodder" There was something rather humiliating about that. Now I am a real MW forum user! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Jason

post-3050-1128975723_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1128975732_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1128975743_thumb.jpg

winter assault is so fun.

i really cannot explain how impressed i am with that scene.

just out of curiosity, what are you using for reference?

To answer your question dedalus, I vid capped several frames from the Robotech DVDs, as well as using a Macross Perfect Memory Book I recently purchased for reference. And yes, Winter Assult ROCKS!!!! Although I am a bit bias as I am a huge Warhammer 40K fan! Anyhow, here are some more renders.

Enjoy,

Jason

post-3050-1129023985_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1129023993_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1129024005_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1129024015_thumb.jpg

WOW!!! Why is it every time I check out this thread I have to pick my jaw up off the floor? The city looks much better. I really like the shot from the park. I also see you put the building I liked back however I think I see 4 copies of it around the city.

You never cease to amaze,

Carl

This looks extremely detailed and smooth, you got skill how did you do this ya must have took a good class or something....But that is nice it looks more real life than CG I know this can turn out to be something great man, dont take full time to this but your progress is fast. Keep up the awesome work!

Wow, I just changed my Background 5 times going "oh that's lovely" and having to change it again, now I'm done :p.

If you ever need anything like voice actors if you go full animated, PLEASE give me a shout, I'm part of a large voice acting community and if you check out the Macross dub thread in the Macross area, you can see some of the fan work I did.

But WOW, freaking amazing :o some of the BEST CG renders I've seen in a very long time.

Jay-Lew,

THAT IS SO BEAUTIFULL....

WHAT ELSE CAN I SAY THAT HAS NOT BEEN SAID? OTHER THAN IF YOU WERE LOCAL (LIVE IN L.A.) OR IF I SEE YOU DURING A MACROSS CONVENTION, A DRINK ON ME BRO.

AWSOME!!!

Edited by MEMO1DOMINION

To answer your question dedalus, I vid capped several frames from the Robotech DVDs, as well as using a Macross Perfect Memory Book I recently purchased for reference. And yes, Winter Assult ROCKS!!!! Although I am a bit bias as I am a huge Warhammer 40K fan! Anyhow, here are some more renders.

Enjoy,

Jason

335760[/snapback]

Your work is extremely good, one thing though if you see the first couple of minutes of "boobytrap" you can see where the parks are exactly located (in the scene where you see the years passing and the SDF-1 being restored) and also there's a shot in the celebration where you see a side angle of the Macross and some buildings around to get a sense of scale, some pointers only!!!!

Other than that I'm very happy to finally see a great rendition of the Macross, so far in this place you only see VFs, not that that's bad, but some variety is also nice!!! Keep it up!