Ozma VF-171 anyone?

i'm down for that hahaha! kinda looked like the cf version to me though...

Macross Chronicle.

Edit: Sorry... I really shouldn't try to post from my phone while in the lab. It occurred to me this morning that I'd given you a vague and useless answer. The specific source is Macross Chronicle Worldguide 22A (same # in both editions) "Super Dimension Restaurant Nyan-Nyan". The sheet has a "Related Matter" section about the Yocchan's (Yoshio's) having grown up in the neighborhood around Nyan-Nyan before and after the first space war, become its manager, and grown it into an interstellar restaurant chain. It's a very bare-bones explanation, but there you have it.

As far as Kaifun goes, you'd think he would've eventually settled down and inherited his parents restaurant in the wake of being dumped by Minmay, but he stayed in the music biz and eventually moved to the Macross-11 colony fleet and became the manager of an unauthorized English-language Fire Bomber cover band... Fire Bomber American.

thanks, Seto! these are really interesting tidbits! glad to read about Yocchan's success, not so surprised about how Kaifun turned out

Macross 30 question, posted here because of higher traffic.

If I'm flying a rank 1 plane that is maxed tuned, are awarded TP wasted and lost?

Nope! The TP you earn after you max out the tuning on a Level 1 blueprint craft continue to accumulate and can be used toward tuning the aircraft further once you get the Level 2 and/or Level 3 version built.

Thanks Seto!

I've got another one: did they ever come up with a Mardook dictionary anywhere?

I'd like to make phonetic subtitles for the raw, untranslated Mardook speech for an updated Macross II script I'm doing.

If I'm such a Macross fan where I can understand raw Zentradi, why not dial it up a notch and understand Mardook?

Hi everybody,

I wanted to ask for a quick suggestion. What would be the best cd with the soundtrack (including BGM of course) for Macross do you remember love? Since that there are so many cds available on the net for Macross i would like to have your opinion about it.

Thank you!

Hi everybody,

I wanted to ask for a quick suggestion. What would be the best cd with the soundtrack (including BGM of course) for Macross do you remember love? Since that there are so many cds available on the net for Macross i would like to have your opinion about it.

Thank you!

I'd say Macross the Complete. It's three discs, and the DYRL soundtrack is on disc two. But what makes it worth is that the third disc has all the OTHER music that was used in the movie but previously unreleased.

post-939-0-15028100-1417053220_thumb.jpg

Thanks Seto!

I've got another one: did they ever come up with a Mardook dictionary anywhere?

I'd like to make phonetic subtitles for the raw, untranslated Mardook speech for an updated Macross II script I'm doing.

If I'm such a Macross fan where I can understand raw Zentradi, why not dial it up a notch and understand Mardook?

Well, you automatically got major points with me for spelling "Mardook" correctly... almost nobody does.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any source that gives a glossary/dictionary of Mardook terms the way they did with some of the Zentradi language... though, to be fair, they're not really super-clear on whether Mardook is a distinct language from Zentradi or just a dialect thereof.

I'd say Macross the Complete. It's three discs, and the DYRL soundtrack is on disc two. But what makes it worth is that the third disc has all the OTHER music that was used in the movie but previously unreleased.

attachicon.gif6154KG27F8L.jpg

Thank you for you suggestion. I will try to hunt down this cd then ;) I always thought that the BGM in DYRL were at least as good as the songs with lyrics.

Thanks Seto! In the script I'm putting together I actually used the romanization list you gave to boinger awhile ago. However, although I mostly lurk around here I've been around long enough to know about the kana not being spelled like the Babylonian god.

Anyways, I would vote that it is a new language, but similar, (think French vs spanish). They use "deculture" in pretty much the same way as in DYRL. "Sas" is used for "yes," which corresponds to "sa" from Zentradi. And "yassak" is pretty much parrallel in use with "yakk."

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer!

Thank you for you suggestion. I will try to hunt down this cd then ;) I always thought that the BGM in DYRL were at least as good as the songs with lyrics.

Watch out for when you buy it that it's the original made in Japan Victor company release. There's an extremely good taiwanese bootlet out there that fooled me back in the day. Basically the price gives it away. If it costs less than 50 US, it's probably the bootleg

Thanks Seto! In the script I'm putting together I actually used the romanization list you gave to boinger awhile ago. However, although I mostly lurk around here I've been around long enough to know about the kana not being spelled like the Babylonian god.

Anyways, I would vote that it is a new language, but similar, (think French vs spanish). They use "deculture" in pretty much the same way as in DYRL. "Sas" is used for "yes," which corresponds to "sa" from Zentradi. And "yassak" is pretty much parrallel in use with "yakk."

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer!

No problem! If you need my help with your project, I'm at your service.

You can thank the Manga Entertainment subtitle team for that irritation... <_<

Pretty sure it's the US Renditions team we have to blame for that one.. though there are also a lot of misconceptions about the OVA that are on the head of Kevin Siembieda at Palladium Books.

No problem! If you need my help with your project, I'm at your service.

Pretty sure it's the US Renditions team we have to blame for that one.. though there are also a lot of misconceptions about the OVA that are on the head of Kevin Siembieda at Palladium Books.

You mean like how the Macross Cannon ships are only 500 meters long?

You mean like how the Macross Cannon ships are only 500 meters long?

... there's that, yes. Other great misconceptions they're responsible for include there being no VFs between the VF-1 and VF-2 in timeline, the Macross II VFs being decades older than they actually are (and unable to fly in battroid mode), gunpods holding tens of thousands of rounds, or the Mardook being "ancient aliens" responsible for the Babylonian civilization.

I've thought that M:II could work if inserted into the mid-late 2010s to 2020s. Second Gen VFs and Destroids. No orbital defense set up yet, not much of space fleet aside from the salvage grade Macross Cannons. All the second line atmo-only VF, Gerwalk/air-mechs and destroids failed to work effectively, leading to the all VF policy later. A relatively minor enemy fleet romped and stomped all over them. The SDF-1 was destroyed though which is contradicted for later stories.

One problem would be the concurrent issue of the VF2s and VF4s from canon, along with the VF-XX for the Zents and the Metal Siren, all of which disappeared quickly. OTOH, all that could have been replaced by the VF-11 program issued en masse.

I've thought that M:II could work if inserted into the mid-late 2010s to 2020s. Second Gen VFs and Destroids. No orbital defense set up yet, not much of space fleet aside from the salvage grade Macross Cannons. All the second line atmo-only VF, Gerwalk/air-mechs and destroids failed to work effectively, leading to the all VF policy later. A relatively minor enemy fleet romped and stomped all over them. The SDF-1 was destroyed though which is contradicted for later stories.

One problem would be the concurrent issue of the VF2s and VF4s from canon, along with the VF-XX for the Zents and the Metal Siren, all of which disappeared quickly. OTOH, all that could have been replaced by the VF-11 program issued en masse.

What's wrong with setting it where it's MEANT to be set, in the 2090s?

What's wrong with setting it where it's MEANT to be set, in the 2090s?

Other than the SDF-1 thing, I don't think there's any "production" reason why the 2092 date can't work to integrate MII into canon (srry, "official continuity"). IMO, I think it would be fine.

From a "trivia" side, some fans have noted the valkyries of MII lack some basic technology now inherent to all valks (arm shields, wrap-around cockpit imaging, pin-point barriers, inertia store converters, etc). Some have also noted the MII valks are way behind where variable fighter performance would be by 2092. The Macross Plus era fighters already greatly surpassed the flight performance of the MII mecha and now with the Fronter era, it's just all wrong. But that's not a big deal in my mind, as MII has very few official statistics for the Valkyries. This could all be solved if the official stats for engine/thrust performance were simply "adjusted" to suit the time frame. Problem solved :)

Is this something new? I've not heard this before. I guess that's good for MII then :)

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross-speakerpodcast-ep-11-the-hyogo-hammer-part-2/

Kawamori explained at the talk show at the Tezuka Museum that Macross II is just as much a part as everything else. Moreover, every timeline shown at the many 30th anniversary events (and in Macross Ace #001) included Macross II in the main timeline, rather than separating it off into its own (as Macross Chronicle did).

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross-speakerpodcast-ep-11-the-hyogo-hammer-part-2/

Kawamori explained at the talk show at the Tezuka Museum that Macross II is just as much a part as everything else. Moreover, every timeline shown at the many 30th anniversary events (and in Macross Ace #001) included Macross II in the main timeline, rather than separating it off into its own (as Macross Chronicle did).

Hmmm, not sure about this...

EDIT: So did some digging into this and talked it over with other fans. The Macross Ace appearance certainly isn't anything that indicates it should supercede the Chronicle continuity (1st edition or 2nd edition) or the offical Macross II products. And Kawamori's comments in the Tezuka Meseum talk show confirm the same thing that has always been stated about Macross II in the official products; it's an official Macross production, regardless of it being a parallel universe. I believe it's safe to remain with the official notes about Macross II's continuity status at this time.

Edited by Mr March

And I was the one who specifically asked him. The way I asked the question was that if the museum was set in the "present" timeline of frontier(as the dedication plaque at the entrance said), how could they show an event from the "future" of M2(as shown on the series timeline in the exhibit).

He answered that every Macross show takes place in a similar parallel universe.

Well, he was asked SPECIFICALLY about Macross II and why it's not part of the "official setting." He repeated his "everything is canon, nothing is canon" stance and said that included Macross II as much as everything else.

Edited by Bariaburu Faita

Quick opinion/insight request:

If you were translating DIALOGUE in Frontier...would you use Klan Klan or Klan Klang?

They say it the same way it's written... クラン・クラン.

There's no "Gu" (ã‚°) there, so it should be "Klan Klan".

The Klang could very well have a soft g (ie, the clanging of a bell) in which case there would be no difference in the katakana between Klan Klan and Klan Klang.

Have said that, I've seen it spelt 4 or 5 different ways in various publications and events, so personally I'd take whatever the official settings docs say it should be, regardless of the technical romanization. Your mileage may vary though.

Edited by Tochiro

They say it the same way it's written... クラン・クラン.

There's no "Gu" (ã‚°) there, so it should be "Klan Klan".

Except that it's "Klang" pretty much every time it's printed in romaji in every official book.\

EDIT: And yeah, what Tochiro said about the soft g.

Edited by Gubaba

And I was the one who specifically asked him. The way I asked the question was that if the museum was set in the "present" timeline of frontier(as the dedication plaque at the entrance said), how could they show an event from the "future" of M2(as shown on the series timeline in the exhibit).

He answered that every Macross show takes place in a similar parallel universe.

This makes sense if you think about it. He's old enough now to have business sense. His business relationships would not appreciate if he put Macross II in a different league with other Macross productions. Treating them all the "same" means that officially, there is no discrimination with Macross when the customer reaches for their money!

No one can blame him for saying something that hurts sales of one production over another.

This makes sense if you think about it. He's old enough now to have business sense. His business relationships would not appreciate if he put Macross II in a different league with other Macross productions. Treating them all the "same" means that officially, there is no discrimination with Macross when the customer reaches for their money!

No one can blame him for saying something that hurts sales of one production over another.

Wow, that's... cynical of you... :unsure:

Except that it's "Klang" pretty much every time it's printed in romaji in every official book.\

EDIT: And yeah, what Sketchley said about the soft g.

There was a reason why I specified "dialogue." (Someone asked me to help clean up some Frontier scripts)

Official romanizations, I think, work against translating dialogue. For example, we have terrible things like Vrlitwhai, which is just the Japanese trying to make things look weird, alien, and hard to say. Translate the kana, you get bu-ri-tai -> Britai.

I think we should get the benefit of attempting to say the names in way that would at least resonate with the spoken Japanese....

Even though I know very little Japanese, I'll invoke "Hannou Heiki's Britai Rule" : Official romanization is discarded in favor for the romanization of the kana. From there a "resonate" english equivalent is produced.

My feeble minded diagnosis is:

a) I see a pair of the same katakana words.

b) So it "must" be Kran Kran, Klan Klan, or Klang Klang.

c) I vote Klan Klan!

Anyway, you guys are awesome. I can't believe all this expertise is free....If you guys were nearby I'd at least want to hand out $5 Burger King gift cards or something...or pizza...everyone likes pizza...

Edited by HannouHeiki

Wow, that's... cynical of you... :unsure:

Lol, I didn't mean it to come off that way. The way I framed it follows my line of reasoning when I usually talk about people's rights...

I guess the less cynical way would be for me to say "the efforts and work of every Macross production should be treated as important and unique contributions to the franchise."