Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/pentagon/2016/01/10/us-b-52-bomber-flies-over-south-korea-standoff-deepens/78588954/

The B-52s came from Andersen Air Force Base on Guam where they rotate every 6 months with stateside units. I wonder where the second bomber went as two went out. Another exciting day at Guam Center (ZUA).

Well, this is interesting. As a result of North Koreas recent shenanigans, the UK and Japan are moving to censure North Korea in the UN. Its been mooted that RAF Typhoons may actually pay a visit to Japan later this year, which AFAIK would be a first...

Definitely a first. I would love to work the Typhoons. Maybe join the annual Cope North exercise along with the USAF, JASDF, and RAAF.

http://www.pacaf.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/377/Article/641873/us-5-partner-nations-to-participate-in-cope-north-2016.aspx

And this was a couple months ago at Guam International (GUM). We had an An-124, IL-76, and B727 parked out there one day. The Antonov was parked for about a month before leaving and the Ilyushin came in with parts. The 727 is based out of here and is the loudest commercial plane here. Only the F-18s are louder.

post-298-0-31539900-1452453540_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-07436500-1452453939_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-63495600-1452453968_thumb.jpg

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/pentagon/2016/01/10/us-b-52-bomber-flies-over-south-korea-standoff-deepens/78588954/

The B-52s came from Andersen Air Force Base on Guam where they rotate every 6 months with stateside units. I wonder where the second bomber went as two went out. Another exciting day at Guam Center (ZUA).

Definitely a first. I would love to work the Typhoons. Maybe join the annual Cope North exercise along with the USAF, JASDF, and RAAF.

http://www.pacaf.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/377/Article/641873/us-5-partner-nations-to-participate-in-cope-north-2016.aspx

I just read something this morning about a B-52 taking part in flying around South Korea as a jab at North Korea. Maybe thats where the other one went?

Yeah that is the JHMCS helmet currently in use.That is the power cable running down to his vest. It interconnects to a plug that is routed up from the the side console and attaches to his vest/harness.

Was he wearing a Helmet Mounted Curing System? In an A-10?

Looks like the Scorpion version of the HMCS to me, as the "normal" JHMCS doesn't have that cable running out the top of it (that I'm aware of).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmet-mounted_display - scroll down to the Scorpion variant, put out by Thales. Also note its use in the A-10C.

Also, I think they are used more for targeting aid than in an A2A role like they are for the Viper and Eagle drivers. I'm sure they can be used for that, but I'm betting they're a very useful tool for the sniper pod and any other A2G tools the A-10C is using.

Edited by mickyg

That is definitely a Scorpion. It makes sense with the A-10 since it is fully NV compatible and is also fully color capable and is a quick and efficient mod to the A-10. That gives the Warthog a leg up at CAS in both day and night. I would definitely agree its primary use on the A-10 is for A-G targeting and spotting. If the C models are equipped with data link units then pilots can pass target data to other aircraft in the area.

As for the Tornados, I can believe that. Especially if they are flying with older NVS systems. Back in the 90's when I was stationed at Misawa, the flightline vehicles had to dim their lights during launches because the the NVS systems were too sensitive to bright lights from headlights. The aircraft were modded with internal string lights in the cockpit that had green micro bulbs to light the cockpit.

Edited by grigolosi

• 3 weeks later...

found this article on one of the FB pages i belong to. Its a compilation of F-16 Maintenance going on with 3 different Squadrons. The 421st, 182nd, and the 36th.

http://worldwarwings.com/if-you-think-servicing-an-f-16-is-easy-think-again

The rarely-seen second Su-37, #712:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=196366&d=1308196650

(ok, it's not TECHNICALLY an Su-37, it's half-way between an Su-35 and Su-37---which does lead to an obvious name. But it very much is Su-37 #711's sistership and was in the same program, and has many, but not all, of the things that made 711 a -37)

And this was a couple months ago at Guam International (GUM). We had an An-124, IL-76, and B727 parked out there one day. The Antonov was parked for about a month before leaving and the Ilyushin came in with parts. The 727 is based out of here and is the loudest commercial plane here. Only the F-18s are louder.

I've seen those big ass jets many times when I've deployed to the Middle East. Those Russian transports were lifting in cargo when we were in the middle of OIF. I've seen them once when in San Diego International Airport because I was at Boot Camp, which was next door to the airport. I've seen them again over at Moffet Field in the San Francisco Bay Area. Big, big jets and always in that blue and white paint scheme.

F-16's aren't as small as everyone thinks they are. Yes when compared to an F-15 or Su-27 they are, but in reality they are still larger than the both the F-5 or Gripen. The F-16 is 49 feet long and from top to bottom stands 16 feet. In actuality that would be longer and taller than a VF-1 Valkyrie.

The Gripen must be way smaller than it looks/I think.

:edit: You're going by overall dimensions? That won't help much comparing the "tube with fins" that an F-16 is, vs the twin-engined twin-nacelled VF-1.

Overall dimensions says some drones or gliders are bigger than some regional airliners, due to their long skinny wings and long skinny fuselages. They may have length and/or span, but there's no mass/volume/area to them.

The Gripen is only 2 feet shorter than an F-16 (1 foot for the 2 seat version) but the frame is far more compact. While I was assigned to Red Flag Alaska back from 06-09 we had a squadron of brand new JAS-39's show up for a Red Flag with the Swedish AF. The size difference between the F-16 and Gripen is very noticeable. A few of our pilots went up in a 2 seater and liked the way the 39 handled but they commented on how small the cockpit was also compared to even the F-16.