About the bear ... <snip>

Neat. This had been on my mind too, but my impression was slightly different since I've only seen the anime.

I thought that the bear was actually the clone type that she chose to use to extend her life for reasons we had yet to learn. Having that point clarified helps with my own confusion regarding those flashback scenes.

Neat. This had been on my mind too, but my impression was slightly different since I've only seen the anime.

I thought that the bear was actually the clone type that she chose to use to extend her life for reasons we had yet to learn. Having that point clarified helps with my own confusion regarding those flashback scenes.

I'm hoping that at some point there'll be some content of

her before she started using the bear persona to get some final answers on why she did it. With the technology available in Sidonia she could have chosen other possibilities

Watched the first two episodes, I like it so far - just not the character designs- far too washed out and flat shaded for me. As for the bear, if they have a true hermaphrodite running around due to genetic manipulation (and photosynthesizing people) then a bear is not such a big deal... (not a spoiler since the mention that in the first episode)

I don't know if there is a word for it, the character mentions being able to switch at will so not asexual as such.

Switch at will? I thought it was a one time deal. Perhaps a manga reader can clarify it for us.

Switch at will? I thought it was a one time deal. Perhaps a manga reader can clarify it for us.

That is what I thought too. The character can choose male or female sexuality when reaching maturity and finding a partner, or can choose to remain asexual.

Japanese fetishes these days... let's not forget the drinking filtered urine scene too.

That is not a fetish, that is quite common in this type of scifi. Save potable water in any form. (of course in space water is one of the easiest things to come by)

That is not a fetish, that is quite common in this type of scifi. Save potable water in any form. (of course in space water is one of the easiest things to come by)

Not when you're aimlessly drifting... it's like being stranded in a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean, you're surrounded by water but drinking water is nowhere you can reach.

Izana and other characters like him/her are able to choose their sex. Having said that It's actually not been clarified yet if it's a one time deal or if they can do it more than once (up to volume 9 in the manga).

Not when you're aimlessly drifting... it's like being stranded in a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean, you're surrounded by water but drinking water is nowhere you can reach.

I have not seen how long it takes the ship to get from star to star but in most shows it is a matter of weeks at most - anybody with that level of technology can get all the drinking water they ever wanted without ever touching a planet.

I think the point is that the super-duper water filter is more of a plot device, like Chekhov's gun or a MacGuffin. It doesn't really do anything or add anything necessary to the overall story related to Sidonia and the Gauna. What it does do is serve to create a situation that provides more character development between Tanikaze and Hoshijiro, and another topic of debate for us geeks. :p

Edited by technoblue

I have not seen how long it takes the ship to get from star to star but in most shows it is a matter of weeks at most - anybody with that level of technology can get all the drinking water they ever wanted without ever touching a planet.

Were we watching the same show? Stranded in a lifeboat is completely different from even a rubber raft with a small motor much less a fully functioning speedboat.

Were we watching the same show? Stranded in a lifeboat is completely different from even a rubber raft with a small motor much less a fully functioning speedboat.

That is a darn big lifeboat. As I said, I am only two episodes in - the actual speed the ship can go (does it take years/decades/days/etc. to go from star to star) determines the need to conserve water or not. There is no indication of what that is from the first two episodes.

actually that is something people in life or death situations where hydration is key do....recycle their own urine...unfiltered. you can actually do that.

this reminds me of bear grylls drinking his, out of snake skin (from a snake that he ate)!

Watching the dubbed version helped me understand a lot of the background story better than the subbed version. I think its because subtitles can distract from the action on the screen. Nothing against subtitles but it does take my eyes away from the pretty anime on the screen B))

The subtitles on Netflix were pretty poorly done.

I'm up to episode 6 or 7, loving it so far.

Watching it dubbed, which I usually do when given a chance (with an exception for that unbearably bad Macross Dub). I'm starting to wish that the word "Hai" will no longer be translated like "Sempai" no longer is. The reason is that trying to find a proper word for it in English usually is impossible. It is often used when the english equivalent is "Aye Aye Sir" or "affirmative", or "I agree" - things where an English equivalent can not reasonably be done in a single syllable response.

Between this and Mac Frontier the Aliens have been bugs/tentacled thingies. Is this a generally changing part of anime? I remember one of the genre convention rules in the Mekton RPG was "kissing a slug is no fun", in other words aliens were generally humanoid.

Yup, I am far enough along to see that a "Humanoid" Alien appears to be on the way in this show. Not far enough along to see how that pans out yet, though I have a guess or two.

I got up to Episode 7 so far. Both the Japanese and English casts were good and since it had Dub-Titles I just watched the Eng Dub. Overall I really dig the story and I like how they sprinkle just enough plot to keep you hooked. I could go without some of the more quirky Japanese fetish things but it is not a deal breaker.

Episode 8.

WOW!!

This was one of the best so far! Partially because of the build up of plot and characters but also excellent action sequences. I was watching it late at night with my Stereo Headset on and the mecha combat sequence was awesome. Kinetic action and very good sound design to compliment it.The most back story was revealed so far and it was very interesting. Overall I really am diggin this show.

I love the combat sequences... it's shot almost like that documentary style that BSG went for. Love this series. Ep. 4 and the final one are such treats.

yeah i loved BSG and this show does sort of recall that one in some ways...its awesome. i already binged through the whole thing and am currently rewatching.

Edited by Mechapilot77