VF-11 Short Animation

neoexcaliber

Here's a little update on what I've been working on in between work and shifting to a new place. It's a screenshot from a sequence which is actually complete but I don't know if I should release it yet. As usual, I don't know when I'd be able to finish up the other 2 shots coz I'm quite busy right now and it might take up to 2 months. Anyway, It's supposed to be the second shot out of a sequence of 4, starting with the video above. If you think it looks familiar, it's because I was 'inspired' by a scene from a certain movie. :p

post-3593-0-39919300-1328970236_thumb.jpg

Here's a little update on what I've been working on in between work and shifting to a new place. It's a screenshot from a sequence which is actually complete but I don't know if I should release it yet. As usual, I don't know when I'd be able to finish up the other 2 shots coz I'm quite busy right now and it might take up to 2 months. Anyway, It's supposed to be the second shot out of a sequence of 4, starting with the video above. If you think it looks familiar, it's because I was 'inspired' by a scene from a certain movie. :p

post-3593-0-39919300-1328970236_thumb.jpg

Wow, that looks really high quality! You did all of the missiles and contrails and effects as well?

Looking good! I worked on that "certain movie". haha. I composited a shot of the shuttle on the launch pad with the autobots and Shia walking around.

Thanks! You should seriously do some Macross animation yourself. I've seen your reel and it's quite impressive.

OK, how about you appease us with more shots of that amazing animation. The higher res the better... :p

I'd like to but it's just a single sequence of the vf-11 entering the shot and shooting the missiles so there's nothing else to show.

Here's another short flyby sequence I made while experimenting with Vue. This is supposed to be the first part of a longer sequence but my break is gonna end soon so I decided to upload it before it gets lost in my hard disk. The original plan was to rip-off the scene from Transformers Dark of the Moon where Starscream blows up the shuttle but I've yet to find a suitable Zentradi-ish shuttle/giant missile/aerial station thingy to blow up so I'd appreciate it if you guys have any suggestions. The reason I decided to copy that scene was because the vf-11 has an internal missile bay just like the f-22 and I'm currently not able to think of anything better since the plane doesn't transform, yet. So here you go guys and do leave me some comments! As usual, watch it in HD.

Damn, you made me drop my coffee....

WOW!!

Damn, you made me drop my coffee....

WOW!!

This is how it looks like now, with missiles and droptanks attached. It probably isn't canon but I kinda like it this way since the Hasegawa kit did have panel lines for hard point attachments.

post-3593-0-54869700-1329188581_thumb.jpg

Many thanks to Tipatat for his VF-1 model, which is where I got the missiles and attachment parts from.

Edited by neoexcaliber

• 4 weeks later...

and we will never see anything like this in the US... Really AWE-SH*T inspiring work, NeoX... it makes me weep, they look so real :D

But the VF-11 doesn't have drop tanks. It can just have vernier-less super packs.

In an atmosphere??!!

I've always balked at the idea of FAST packs in an atmosphere... Just add a drag chute and you get the same aerodynamic result.

The idea is further debunked by MF where Gilliam's dumped his FAST packs before flying into Island 1.

I meant to clarify it could use the leg packs. The idea is just like the VF-0's leg packs.

True, conforming fuel tanks would be as effective.

However one could just as easily argue that in a combat situation that last thing you want is to be carrying fuel on your engines... ;)

Edited by Zinjo

In an atmosphere??!!

I've always balked at the idea of FAST packs in an atmosphere... Just add a drag chute and you get the same aerodynamic result.

The idea is further debunked by MF where Gilliam's dumped his FAST packs before flying into Island 1.

i thought the rational for Gilliam going clean into the hole in the bio-shield was that he 1) needed to drop mass to have enough acceleration to beat the auto-closure in time. 2) he was going max acceleration regardless of weight (zero-gravity, or very little due to proxity of the Colony module) and needed to drop the packs because he would impact against the closing edges WITH the packs mounted.

i think it's the latter because Ozma sorteed into Island-1 with his pack and Gilliam dumped his pack not because it optional but because he would not have successfully followed the Red Varja inside has he not done so....

True, conforming fuel tanks would be as effective.

However one could just as easily argue that in a combat situation that last thing you want is to be carrying fuel on your engines...

You probably don't want them on the parts of the airplane that interfere with its arm movements when said airplane becomes a robot either :3

Woah I didn't think my decision to add droptanks just coz they look cool would cause this much debate. :D

I added them coz it looks nice when they get ejected right before the plane rolls, like the opening scene from Yukikaze. Also, I did mention that it's probably not canon. The issue of not being able to transform because the parts are in the way shouldn't be an issue either since the armoured vf-1 can't transform without ejecting its parts.

Again, I only did it coz it looks cool and I find it weird that there are no missiles for the vf-11 other than the superpacks.

I didn't actually want to upload this yet but I might never complete it so I've decided to show what I've done and probably retire the vf-11 for now. I might do something else with it in the future but I'll probably work on another plane during my next break. Find this clip anticlimactic? Blame real life. :p

Nice Stuff!!! Did I see some Optical flares from AE? I brushed off some old stuff now too. Since i'm on break until May I might get a chance to render something.

Yes, it is Optical Flares. Very useful to jazz things up. I'm looking forward to your animation since your demoreel looks impressive, and I envy you for having such a long break.

I didn't actually want to upload this yet but I might never complete it so I've decided to show what I've done and probably retire the vf-11 for now. I might do something else with it in the future but I'll probably work on another plane during my next break. Find this clip anticlimactic? Blame real life. :p

I love it. It's very well done IMHO. Cheers man, your VF-11 model is really impressive.

I can understand wanting to move onto other things. But what you've shown us so far is really amazing. Usually we're happy to see a static render, not a motion picture quality piece of film. I hope you return to a transforming 11 at some point though.

I see nothing to be ashamed of. However, being a fellow pefectionist, I can understand when an artist isn't satisfied with the work. Personally I find the video stunning, but what do I know, I only do static composites... :p Edited by Zinjo