Why is Gerwalk mode disliked?

CrazyDude

Yeah, but...

"Don't worry , she'll hold together!"

*puts the 30 into crazy Gerwalk pose, feels joints creaking*

"Hear me, baby? Hold together!"

I 'm probably alone here, but I think it's pointless. It looks like it got stuck mid-transformation. Moreover, everything for which GERWALK is used can be accomplished by the battroid mode, so why not skip the intermediate step. Just my humble opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4rU_A_ZcnY 4min 30sec http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaJLfhdEzWA 16min 30sec (yes, i washed my hands after grabbing that last link)

what always made the Gerwalk mode, epic to me, was that lone VF-1A that made it around that intersection, then transformed to Battroid behind the next block of buildings. Alto's excape from the small Varja in Episode Two of MF even more illustrates the coolness that is Locomotive Kneejoint...

Edited by TehPW

gerwalk mode is really hideous on the VF-4G though....and it looks bad, almost forced on a few other which I can't remember.

but on the model that can pull it off, it looks good. LOVED it on the VF1's......it's the best gerwalk from the A stand, the proportion, it's just golden.

Personal preference I guess, but I think the Gerwalk on the VF-4 is pretty bad too. I've had this page bookmarked from B_A_T_S Flickr page for awhile now and it has tons of shots of the VF-4G, while it looks good attached to a stand in Gerwalk it's not at all attractive standing on it's own (IMO).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bat_/with/8322834139/

-b.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't GERWALK the main gimmick that makes a Macross what it is? Personally I like GERWALK -> Battroid -> Fighter.

If you mean variable fighter then yeah, the (3) different modes are a pretty integral, but as you go on to say, it's all about personal preference.

-b.

If you mean variable fighter then yeah, the (3) different modes are a pretty integral, but as you go on to say, it's all about personal preference.

-b.

Well yeah. I mean if the Valks skipped GERWALK and went from Fighter -> Battroid it'd become a transformer :D

I don't dislike gerwalk mode in general, I just personally feel like outside the VF-1, hardly any valk looks good in gerwalk, Mac7 in particular had awful gerwalk modes pretty much across the board. I will say I used to own a renewal Bandai Messiah, and while I disliked the figure in general I liked the gerwalk, I also think the SV-51 had a pretty cool gerwalk.

Well yeah. I mean if the Valks skipped GERWALK and went from Fighter -> Battroid it'd become a transformer :D

Ha ha, true!

Nobody else mention the Monster or other Macross related capital ships or fighters, we're only talking about Valkyries. :p

-b.

Ha ha, true!

Nobody else mention the Monster or other Macross related capital ships or fighters, we're only talking about Valkyries. :p

-b.

An after thought just came to mind. A GERWALK mode Macross Quarter would look ridiculous.

EDIT: found an image

LL0ot.jpg

Edited by ULessa

Ya know?

Y'all should be disliking the stupid back-kibble/wing-shenanigans of the Frontier battroids rather than the awesome GERWALK-mode.

Seriously.

Go for it, we could always use another thread to complain about something. That said it doesn't bother me on the 25 or 27.

-b.

frontier wing backpacks are awesome.

I almost think you are being sarcastic... :ph34r:

But if not... :D

-b.

Yeah, me too. It's a nice little departure from the VF-1 which is what the 25 (IMO) is an homage of.

-b.

I dunno about that. Maybe Hikaru's colors are being homaged by the 25, but...

The VF-1 does not really carry dual un-folded carpenter-ladders on its back and it also does not place the whole cockpit in the ass when in battroid-mode...

:D

I dunno about that. Maybe Hikaru's colors are being homaged by the 25, but...

The VF-1 does not really carry dual un-folded carpenter-ladders on its back and it also does not place the whole cockpit in the ass when in battroid-mode...

:D

From a design stand-point, especially in Fighter mode it evokes the VF-1. An homage doesn't have to be a direct copy, just something that pays tribute to what came before. :)

You also have Max, Roy and Millia colors making appearances in Frontier too.

-b.

I legitimately like what the VF-25 and YF-29 do with their wings.

Count me in on this! I like ALL the Frontier backpack wings. Maybe not practical and prone to damage but whatever...it's a transforming robot plane at the end of the day. If I can tolerate magical purple fold rocks, flying rock logs, space whales, and laser shooting winged vagina, I can handle impractical designs. The wing backpacks are appealing to me. B))

Edited by xrentonx

Wait, is the Birdman the winged vagina? I know there's a lot of individual variation, but I'm not seeing it...

I don't mind the wings on the 25 & 27. Don't like the 39 or the 30. The sad thing is that it would've been really easy to fix the 30...

Overhead shot while hovering as seen in Macross Zero.

604136_10151297135707861_934910370_n.jpg

Best looking VF-25 too... don't know why everyone has such an hard-on for Ozma's... yeah he was a great character and all but anyway I can't understand it. :unsure:

Edited by YF-29 Durandal

Since you're onto this subject, I'd like to ask the community 2 things:

1. Which valk has the best looking Gerwalk in your opinion? Give me your 3 best.

2. Which non Macross toys can have a gerwalk mod that are not supposed to?

Edited by Vahouth

I agree with the dizman who said he likes the GERWALK mode, it's just his least favorite mode of the three. I think what I like about the GERWALK mode isn't necessarily the look, but the function of the mode and it's use in some of the most iconic Macross scenes. The GERWALK function as this hybrid hovercraft/attack helicopter is a very clever implementation of a transforming jet fighter. But by far the drama achieved in the numerous Macross productions featured many of the best moments with a GERWALK mode valkyrie. Hikaru in the VF-1D Valkyrie and VF-1A Valkyrie GERWALK modes rescuing Minmay in both SDF Macross and DYRL?, all the numerous VT-1 Super Ostrich GERWALK sequences throughout the first half of DYRL?, Isamu in his VF-11 Thunderbolt GERWALK rescuing Guld in his YF-21 in Macross Plus, Ozuma's many uses of the VF-25S Armored Messiah GERWALK in Macross Frontier, especially his GERWALK-dodge transformation fighting the Vajra in the second episode. And of course, Alto's use of the VF-25F Messiah GERWALK in the opening of the Macross Frontier series made me tear up.

To answer Vahouth, the best GERWALK would be...the VB-6 Konig Monster! No? Too much of a cheat? Alright, IMO the three best looking GERWALK modes are the VF-1 Valkyrie, the VF-11 Thunderbolt and the VF-25 Messiah. The VF-25 might be my all time favorite GERWALK.

Non Macross toy: Legioss fighter, Orguss fighter(4 modes).

Yes you're right about them, but my question was more about toys that are not supposed to have a gerwalk mode, like Transformers for example.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough... I'll edit my post accordingly. :)

The head sculpts pretty damn badass :D

I never cared for the VF-25S head sculpt, the face was too bug-like imo. The VF-25F was my favorite; very evocative of the old VF-1J (which I prefer over the VF-1S head) Also, I prefer the Pure white with black and red to the grey, black and yellow.

I never cared for the VF-25S head sculpt, the face was too bug-like imo. The VF-25F was my favorite; very evocative of the old VF-1J (which I prefer over the VF-1S head) Also, I prefer the Pure white with black and red to the grey, black and yellow.

Should I open up a poll regarding this?

I think that I will because polls are fun and everyone can do them. :p

Edited by YF-29 Durandal