My Macross Fanart Gallery

nel2012

Incredible work. A great likeness. I like the background too.

Maybe the hair color is supposed to be a bit diffused because the scene is supposed to be lit very brightly?

Could be, but with the background Nel2012 has chosen, the light source is coming from about 2 o'clock off of Alto's right shoulder. So that makes the shadows off (they're coming from about 10 o'clock) and not strong enough.

Still,as with all of Nel2012's work so far, it is an uncanny rendition of Alto. Looks like an animation cel or advert!

Oh, I cheat on shadows all the time :)

I originally tried really hard to ensure each coloring I did had "uniformly aligned shadows". However, I quickly realized it can actually look better if you play around with shadows. As long as the large shadows that dominate the art are accurate, you can fudge all kinds of smaller shadows to give various areas volume and dimension even if the shadow makes no sense.

I agree, neldorwen's art is incredible and looks exactly like the official artwork. So good.

hey guys, nice words and a good discussion there about color and shadows!. It is an issue to me, because sometimes I wonder how my drawings look on other screen monitors, know what I mean? because I saw my drawings in other screens and they look totally different (LCDs , LEDs or old monitor´s like mine, all vary).

It will look different when I put all the drawings together for the big poster . I´ll be posting more colored drawings soon too :)

• 1 month later...

hey guys, just an "update" on the big drawing . I had no time to continue painting, too much work lately. But I started with the sketches of the valkyries. Must confess I do not like to draw mechanical stuff, but valkyries in fighter mode are fine to me. I had to look a lot to Tenjin´s works! these are some raw samples, will do better linearts later.

VF-1S_zps694c6e01.jpg

VF-25_zps723a8821.jpgVF-0_zps67a0b289.jpg

It's AWESOME work like this that I have to get my head out of the model building section more often to see! ALL of your work looks AWESOME Nel! Hopefully we'll be able to get a poster of your collage when you're done.

I'm opposite, I SUCK at people - drawing and sculpting! But I can scratch build models and line draw machines. Don't feel bad, few can do both well. - MT

Edited by MechTech

• 2 weeks later...

thanks a lot for your comments, as always... I keep working on this whenever I can . Here are the last three valks that will be part of the poster:

YF-19Kai.jpg
YF-19.jpg
VF-2SS.jpg

omg, EXO, that´s so great. I had no idea that picture was done by you, I have seen it before in the net and thought it was official stuff, really :D Will use it as reference when the time for painitng with Photoshop comes.

Thanks for the advices, as I said, mechas are not my cup of tea for drawing, but I am enjoying working on this valkyrias. I am seriously considering on using Corel Draw to vector all these linearts, so It will be more easy and I´ll not have mistakes with perspective issues :)

LOL! I wish I had half the talent you do for drawing mecha outside your comfort zone. Your work is solid and factoring that you don't consider yourself good at it, makes it all the more impressive. But whatever motivates you to draw more cool Macross stuff, I'm all for it :)

They look great Nel! I'd go with Corel too. That's what I use to set up projects for engraving. Plus you can easily take to have personal customizations done like shirts or engraved items. - MT

• 1 month later...

hi again :) I did not abandon the 30 anniversary poster, is just that I had another big one to do in the middle (and that was a request!) I created this sort of poster for an upcoming Macross event, and the topic this time is Macross FB7. It was so much fun to do it. Now I can continue with my huge project , valkyrias in corel included *o*

MacrossFB7-1.jpg

Vepariga, that´s great to know, that you felt like drawing again. Thanks for your words, minna...

Here i finished Sarah:

Sarah_Nome_tintas.jpg

• 1 month later...

*Posting my latest macross drawings*

Finished Mylene for the Macross anniversary poster plus separate character posters created specially for our local Macross con :D

Mylene_tintas.jpg

MacrossFB7_Sheryl.jpg

MacrossFB7_Ranka-solocopia.jpg

MacrossFB7_Mylene-full.jpg

MacrossFB7_Basara-solo.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for your messages, guys... yeah, I wanted "stage lighting", and very colorful, very MacrossFB7 clip style...

Here goes a big update of the poster, three more drawings finished :)

th_Hibiki_final.jpg

th_Minmay_tintas_final2.jpg

th_Basara_tintas.jpg