Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

IIRC, he used the term "larger", which set off alarms in my head. Was I misinterpreting, or did he actually say "more powerful"?

Increasing the size of the core while holding fan diameter constant would have to mean reducing the bypass cross-sectional area, where the vast majority of thrust is generated. From what I remember, the guy talked about using composite ceramics to increase allowable Tt4, which would yield a moderate increase in thrust without having to increase fan diameter.

Perhaps David H. has a point. They could always add intermediate compressor and turbine stages, lengthening the engine and therefore making the engine "larger". It might still pose a rotation ground clearance problem, but probably not as difficult to mitigate as a larger fan diameter.

Theres been a recent defence review in the UK and the short version is that we'll be acquiring nine P-8s (I was sort of hoping for the Japanese P-1, just for varietys sake, but theres an urgent need as Red October has been getting frisky off the coast and we've had to borrow someone elses plane to go listening for an outbreak of Russian choral singing) and up to 139 F-35s (much more than expected), with the first 24 due by 2023. Its unclear yet whether or not they will all be Bs (for the new carriers) or a mix of Bs and As. I guess no-one told the RAF that the F-35 can't dogfight, is slow, doesn't carry enough missiles, isn't stealthy enough, can be detected on I.R, can't fly for more than five minutes etc etc etc... :)

Wow, they're gonna get the first few to you in 8 years, fully 30 years after the JSF Program was initiated. Incredible. What a fantastic turnaround time.

At least they had the good sense to pick up some P8s. Hard to beat the 738 for cost-performance ratio, especially if maintenance schedules are based even loosely on the platform's long history of reliability.

Closest out there is of the missile already cruising past folks with a camera. I always thought it would be very subtle with the missile descending to cruising altitude. The Tu-95s are dropping Kh-55s from what I've read. Can't tell what the Blackjack's are dropping. Russia has been using Syria as abit of a test arena for newer weapons (Su-30SM, Su-34, Kalibr missile)

It seems that the UK military is keeping up the habit of being one of the nerdier on the planet; gear installed or in use by the UK armed forces has included TARDIS ("Five rounds, rapid!"), Storm Shadow (because everything is better with ninjas!) and Skynet (which I'm sure is not going to backfire on us in any way at all). I've just found out that during a round of testing involving the F-35, it was used in signature trials against a suite of UK-specific sensors called... Robocop (!).

A little off topic but this is the smallest afterburning jet engine i have ever seen.......

Wow! That is amazing! You can see the fuel level drop, too. Crazy stuff.

I want to know how that test "table" was mounted and didn't get carried away though.

It may have been braced against the tree, its hard to tell though. AB eats up so much gas, its insane. On takeoff with a 300 gal centerline, the F-16 empties most of the tank. The fuel flow on the GE engine has no set number for pounds per minute when in burner. But to see an AB equipped turbine that size is really incredible.