Custom 1/60 MtF VF-1J Head Unit

Kurisama

Not sure the art does - and to be honest, I only ever thought the 1S did the angle/turret thing you mention.

I measured my 1J; the distance between the lasers facing forward and facing up - there is a difference of a few mm, I never noticed it before on the 1J, I only noticed it wasn't as splayed as the anime.

I'd say there is maybe a 1 to 2 degree (or less) angle at the base to allow this - it is possible to do this on my version - but i'll see how this printed one goes first. But that may have been a better way to go initially. Oh well, I'm only human.

Fortunately, that's a pretty simple change to make to the overall design, so shouldn't be too difficult to implement if you want to try it. You might need a decent angle on the pivot surface to get the splay angle you want though.

Well A) No one has tried this head sculpt yet and B) Was your 1J head blue?

Given that the 1J head off of Max's 1J is a blue 1J head, yes. As the original heads go the 1J doesn't work on the 1A body, I'm assuming that would be true of a Macross The First version of the 1J as well.

I think what Mommar is trying to say is that the color scheme of the VF-1A TV Max does not work well with an almost entirely blue VF-1J head.....to make it work (aesthetically) the "blue" MtF head would need to be placed onto a VF-1J Max....

Similarly, I think the MtF head as designed by Tenjin and brought to life in 3D by Kurisama...would look good with a blue stripe on the head and blue scheme (where red exists now) for the rest of the battroid....maybe someone with Adobe photoshop skills can do that with this pic....

MtF_VF-1J_Concept.jpg

Edited by jvmacross

Just got notice that this has shipped (along with a few other items) and should be here in a few weeks :3

Valkyrie Addict - I am usually so pedantic about tolerances and fit and all that jazz.... I am embarrassed to say I didn't even check to see if this would fit flushed... whoops.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it does matter. Purchase in UD or FUD for the crispness and smoothness of details, less work in prep for painting. There is aa link down the bottom of that order page that allows you to buy the head lasers in a different material that is far stronger for the thin parts, but rougher on the surface.

This arrived today - couldn't resist a test fit!!!

Even with the WSF lasers - still feel a little fragile... Will prep the pieces tonight and get the ball rolling on the whole thing.

attachicon.gifSW_VF-1J_Head_Test_Fit.jpg

Mine arrived last week and I must say it looks fantastic! Very nice fine detail and impressive finish! All I need to do now is decide which color im gonna paint it.. still not sure which Valkyrie I wanna fit it too..

I was thinking of waiting till the VF-1J GBP sets arrive seeing I bought two of them and was going to keep one of the VF-1J bare that I could paint it up white and red! What you reckon?

And one again thanks again for making this available Kurisama! You're a legend! B))

• 2 weeks later...

I had the angle ones snap on me. Dammit!!! I really like those ones. I know they're brittle in the F.U.D., but how much to do those in metal? Would they end up costing too much? How much stronger are the WSF versions?

I had the angle ones snap on me. Dammit!!! I really like those ones. I know they're brittle in the F.U.D., but how much to do those in metal? Would they end up costing too much? How much stronger are the WSF versions?

If only they could switch their FUD material with a much stronger resin that would be delightful, I have given up so many design because of that...

Brass could be a solution if the antennas are not less than 1mm diameter, but much more expensive unfortunately.

Edited by Xigfrid

Hey guys - so sorry to hear about the breakages :(

I'll finally be home from overseas tomorrow and I can look into it then - at a quick glance in the material section - metal prints would cost approximately $15.

I can make it available if ya'll like? I'll post the different metal options and would like to hear what would work for you.

• 2 weeks later...