Does anybody know a good PSP emulator?

Master Dex

I could split up the game in several files and try megaupload...

As for which PS2 to get, it does somewhat matter what model you get. All fat PS2s should work, and all slim PS2s under SCPH-9000x model revision will work. Certain SCPH-9000x models will not work since it has a new bios that disables free mcboot.

In that case I'll stick with the idea of getting a fat PS2, that way I shouldn't have any problems.

As with the game, if it is too much trouble to send the file in another way I can't ask you to do so. I don't know how soon I will be doing this whole thing anyway so maybe waiting until I can torrent download it will work. However I cannot say for sure. Right now I might decide to wait on doing a project like this so it doesn't interfere with my school work and all. I also need to give my bank account a rest since I just ordered my first ever yamato valk (which I plan to pretty much be the only one I may ever get due to their expense), a 1/48 VF-1J Max which costs a sum as you can imagine (even though it hasn't been shipped yet sadly so I haven't actually been charged yet). So due to that I may wait before I go buying a PS2 and ARMAX to do all this.

Of course there is always the possibility I may find a way to make this work sooner but my point is I am in no obsessive hurry so if it is a pain to split that file up for megaupload then I don't think I should ask you to do that.

However I have to say I do very much appreciate all the help you have been in helping me to understand this process. ^_^

so if it is a pain to split that file up for megaupload then I don't think I should ask you to do that.

Actually, WinRAR makes it quite painless. It's just waiting for the upload to finish that's gonna try my patience :p

I'll post the links in this thread for everyone to grab whenever I get around to uploading it.

My only problem now is although I can find copies of ARMAX almost anywhere I can't verify that any of them have this max media player the video says it needs to have. The video says some copies don't have the player and it is essential. I found one possible site that may have the right version of ARMAX but I am really not sure... This could make things difficult.

Out of curiosity when it comes to burning the patched iso of the game you'll be giving me, does it matter to what type of DVD it is burned? Like will the PS2 (or ESR) play all types or does it have to be DVD-R, DVD+R, or both? I have the ability to burn any type so it is only an issue of which type is needed to be able to play it.

Edited by Master Dex

I'm not entirely sure which is overall better on the PS2, but I used Sony's DVD+R and it works pretty darn well. Either disc should be fine, I don't even know why they want to keep both formats...

And don't forget to burn at lowest speed. :p

Then I'll just stick with the DVD-R since I've been using it, although I might have to get a new set so maybe +R will due fine.

I just hope I can figure out how to burn at lowest speed, the only way I know of burning discs with with some windows utility. I don't have any specific program to do it but I know I can do it with windows in some way (I've burned episodes of Macross Frontier to DVD-Rs using Windows DVD maker, but I figure I'd burn the iso files differently, I am sure there is a way to do that) so I'm not worried about that.

Windows doesn't have an integrated image burner. You're gonna need something else.

I use Nero, because it was free with my writer. Or my motherboard.

Maybe both. Several somethings came with it.

Noted, I'll do a search for Nero or other burning applications that can burn iso's to a DVD.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!

Goddamn myself!!! I accidentally erased my free McBoot from my mem card while trying to upgrade to a newer version! But that's not the kicker! My PS2 has begun making odd noises AND I lost my Swapmagic CD!!! Triple whammy!

Now I don't even know if the games I patch will work or not :(

Heck, I don't even know if the Macross game I just burned work...

Well, if you guys want, I can just upload the game, as is, in its original form. No dummy file, no patches. The tutorial is laid out pretty much, it isn't really that hard...

I might see if I left my swapmagic cd at my cousin's house. Hopefully that's the case... Geez.. first, my monitor's base broke; second, Fry's refuses to fix it; third, my brother dropped our digital camera; and finally, now this...

So anyway, ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!! :cry:

Edited by shiroikaze

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!

Goddamn myself!!! I accidentally erased my free McBoot from my mem card while trying to upgrade to a newer version! But that's not the kicker! My PS2 has begun making odd noises AND I lost my Swapmagic CD!!! Triple whammy!

Now I don't even know if the games I patch will work or not :(

Heck, I don't even know if the Macross game I just burned work...

Well, if you guys want, I can just upload the game, as is, in its original form. No dummy file, no patches. The tutorial is laid out pretty much, it isn't really that hard...

I might see if I left my swapmagic cd at my cousin's house. Hopefully that's the case... Geez.. first, my monitor's base broke; second, Fry's refuses to fix it; third, my brother dropped our digital camera; and finally, now this...

So anyway, ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!! :cry:

Ouch, sorry to hear all that.

As for the game, well I assume that link you gave earlier shows how to patch the game iso with memento and all the stuff it needed so I should be able to work it. Unless you think the patched copy you made seems good enough.

I can't really tell if it really is good enough :p

My first copy worked alright, but I don't know if I did it correctly this time for the second copy...

But I'll upload the original iso to megaupload tomorrow (if I don't forget), it's a smaller download thankfully. So yeah, I'll let you and everyone "experiment" with it. As long as you follow all the steps, you should be able to play the game.

Alright! Both parts are up, use winRAR to extract (two parts one file):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AHNTF55K

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FHLA5QP3

Enjoy!

[edit]Also found my swapmagic cd this morning :D

Good to hear, hopefully that can enable you to re-mod your PS2 now. I'm going to just try purchasing an Action Replay Max Evo set right form their site... it should have the media player but I cannot tell. If not then that link you gave me has an option to use ARMAX without the media player by using a PS1 game exploit... I have some friends with a few PS1 games I can borrow (hope it has media player though, that is much easier).

Thanks for the files as well.. that link from before is how to patch it with memento and stuff right, not changing from a CD to DVD (which is what you originally has mentioned before realizing that isn't necessary)?

It's an all in one tutorial, cd to dvd, patching, etc. SDF Macross is 1.14gb, so even though it is DVD, you still need to add in a dummy file (provided in the tutorial) to go over the 1.4 gb limit.

About the PS1 exploit, you do need some way to get the files onto the memory card.

It's an all in one tutorial, cd to dvd, patching, etc. SDF Macross is 1.14gb, so even though it is DVD, you still need to add in a dummy file (provided in the tutorial) to go over the 1.4 gb limit.

About the PS1 exploit, you do need some way to get the files onto the memory card.

When I skimmed the tutorial on the PS1 exploit it seemed as if I would be able to figure it out in some way.. I may have to read it again. I haven't gone buying anything yet so I have a lot of time to figure it all out.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on the PS2 story. I have after some work finally got around to getting the PS2 and have no successfully modded it, and it plays SDF Macross perfectly as well. Unfortunately my copy of ARMAX did not include max media player so I had to use a PS1 exploit to install FMCB but I was able to do with without too much trouble. I actually had to buy a slim because all the used fat PS2s were sold out, but luckily I had a friend with a fat PS2 I could use to install the mod on my memory card so now I can just play it all off my slim. I just have to make sure not to delete the mod or anything since I won't have access to that fat PS2 forever or I'll have to find a different install method.

That brings me to a question, a hypothetical one really. Since the PS2 can play PS1 games, if I were to patch up a copy of VF-X2 with a dummy file to expand it to 1.4GB and patch it with memento would the ESR program be able to play that as well? I don't know if I'd actually do that since I can play VF-X2 fine on my computer with a PS1 emulator (and I have) but I am just curious.

Good to know, like I said I didn't think I'd actually try that.

The game is well worth all the work to do the mod. It goes by fast but it is entertaining enough that I can see myself replaying stages for higher ranks a lot (especially since I'm not a big gamer so higher ranks don't come easily). It will also be my personal mission to get Max VF-1J paint scheme (I know what I have to do, so it will take a while). I beat the TV version of the story (with only one S rank out of the 12 missions, so that will take work) and I have done 3 of the Movie story missions with no S ranks yet... will continue there soon. I already tried doing the Pineapple Salad level again to get S rank for Max's VF-1A paint but Milia blew too much of my health away, I just have to learn to dodge her attacks more efficiently.

Hmm, I looked there for the game before you gave me a copy but I never found it. Strange, I must have missed it.

I wouldn't call myself hardcore, I just had a lot of time on my hands. Even though I beat those missions fast they weren't of good rankings in the first go at them. Having had a weeks worth of time to go back and do other missions I have chalked up a large number of S ranks, some easily, some out of pure luck. I got my VF-1J Max, I even have Max's VF-1S (DYRL of course). However I need two more S ranks to get Roy's VF-1S which is the hardest to attain. The last two levels I need are on the DYRL story and they are the Meltran gun destroyer and Boddolza himself... which I have never gotten better than a D before (if I survived at all). So this will take time.

I seem to be very good at learning the valkyries moves and knowing when the right time to switch modes is. Also strangely my performance went way up after I was able to use the VF-1J Max, perhaps some psychological thing since that is my favorite VF-1, or it could just be a genius's ability rubbing off the paint scheme. The funny thing is my 1/48 VF-1J Max is sitting next to my TV as I play it so maybe that is adding to its ability to kick ass.

• 10 months later...

Sorry to revive this dead thread, but I thought I would mention that Ace Frontier is playable on JPCSP: http://jpcsp.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5348

Ultimate Frontier is still not working though...

Also for those who don't know, the PS2 SDF Macross game (and the entire ACE series) have been playing just fine on the PCSX2 emulator for a while now, and the PSX games of course work just fine on the epsxe emulator.

If you can't get macross for PS2 working on PCSX2, just disable sound during the intro and enable the IOPx2 hack. If you have any issues just post here or PM me.

Here's a screen of the PS2 Macross game running on my PC:

macross02.th.jpg

NOTE: as pointed out earlier, you DO need a bit of a powerhouse of a PC to run the PCSX2 emulator at full speed. ESPECIALLY in the CPU department. My old overclocked CD2 E6600 rig just managed to run most games at full speed. I have a i7 920 processor now though and games don't even hiccup, although be aware that the games only run on a max of two cores in PCSX2.

Edited by zeroyon