VF-171 Nightmare Plus CF

seti88

Awaiting the larrazabal Bandai DX VF-171 version... :p

attachicon.gifCigPKlpUgAAfmnE.jpg

*yea it might be a long wait depending on how much prominience this guy would have*

Alberto Larrazabal... so the Voldorians adopted spanish surnames and names...btw that surname sounds like mine and that is my middle name XD, If they do a Larrazabal custom they got another client XD

If they make another pass on the CF VF-171 maybe they can fix the canopy mold.

In the Cartoons the canopy is more round and flows with the lines of the nose for a smooth, beautiful silhouette

post-25-0-00210900-1463721168_thumb.jpg

The DX'es canopy juts out and breaks the silhouette

post-25-0-84732100-1463721277_thumb.jpg

Edited by Duymon

• 2 months later...

Not to dig up an old thread, but I recently acquired some spare parts, and did some surgery on my 171s to get them back into one piece. I'd had both of them sitting taken apart while I tried to solve the various issues.

So, after fiddling around with the shoulder assemblies, I'm betting that a lot of the broken upper triangles really were just due to the assembly lines either skipping a step for efficiency, or doing things out of order.

You can assemble the shoulder parts in a couple different ways, depending on what steps you do first. Ideally? You'd sandwich the NUNS triangles around the metal shoulder, screw it together, then tab the shoulder pauldrons into place, and screw them together too. That's about as low-stress as you can get.

On the other hand, let's say you already screwed/glued the pauldron halves together (which is basically the condition anyone with broken triangles is in trying to replace them, unless you can successfully disassemble the pauldrons). Now you've got two options.

1. Clip the NUNS triangles into the pauldrons, and screw them together, then snap the assembly over the shoulder joint.

2. Clip the NUNS triangles into the pauldrons, snap the assembly over the shoulder joint, and then screw the NUNS triangles together.

I get the feeling that a lot of the assembly line workers took option 1, or otherwise attempted to clip the NUNS triangles over the shoulders after they were already screwed together tightly, resulting in stress fractures near the screw when they were forcibly spread around the shoulder.

So, if you're having to repair or replace the NUNS triangles, try not to snap them over the shoulder while they're glued or screwed together tightly (Shapeways replacements might handle this stress better though, so it might not matter as much).

The way I got mine back together was to 1) clip the two halves of the triangles into the pauldrons (without screwing them together), 2) rotating them to the battroid position to hold them in place, 3) clipping the triangles back over the shoulders, and 4) only screwing the triangles together after the shoulders were correctly clipped on. I may have screwed the triangles half-way to keep the halves aligned, but they were loose enough to easily slip over the shoulder.

Edited by Chronocidal

Schrödinger's Valkyrie, that release. I'd like to get one to try and fix up, but they're going for over $100-$150 on eBay, and for a toy that's guaranteed to break one day that's too much. $75 would be my limit. One day.

• 3 weeks later...