Hasegawa 1/72 scale VF-25 Messiah

EXO

Yeah, I've never quite understood why so many of Hasegawa's kits come with so many pre-cut decals that are meant to fill in areas that should just be painted. I suppose in some cases they're easier than masking and spraying, but complicated decals that cover so much area are usually more trouble than they're worth.

Anyway, looking awesome so far! If I didn't already have so many of the Bandai kits I'd probably jump on a few of these, but I already don't have room for more boxes. :p

If anyone is building an Alto or Ozma version, DO NOT use the decals for the tail and leg fins. They don't fit well, and you're better off just painting them to begin with, other than applying, and scraping them back off in order to paint.

Yes, I'm speaking from experience here. :angry:

I experienced that exact same thing with the Wave VF-1S kit. It's worse when you've already used the decals for one area (like the chest on the VF-1) and are forced to use the decal on another (like the leg fin) just to color match! Combine that with crap quality decals (thanks Wave) and you get double frustration.

Here's an interesting interpretation. Problem is, he put the feet on upside down.

Nice Su-33 camo pattern.

... Some pilot will have a very hard time dealing with GERWALK and Battroid modes.

Edited by ivorysniper

I've completed mine today after a few days of procrastination of not wanting to do the decal. The only thing I kind of regret is not doing the seamline when the top and bottom of the plane comes together. I'm quite happy with how it turned out but I still can't seem to get the panel wash done correctly. I want it relatively clean, but if I clean it cleans the lining too then I reapply, clean and the cycle continues.

Anyways this is a nice build, it's pretty easy and everything comes together quite well. Of course it was quite fun to build too!

post-22092-0-75985500-1392106646_thumb.jpg

post-22092-0-95674000-1392106665_thumb.jpg

post-22092-0-80460200-1392106686_thumb.jpg

post-22092-0-59501100-1392106709_thumb.jpg

I've completed mine today after a few days of procrastination of not wanting to do the decal. The only thing I kind of regret is not doing the seamline when the top and bottom of the plane comes together. I'm quite happy with how it turned out but I still can't seem to get the panel wash done correctly. I want it relatively clean, but if I clean it cleans the lining too then I reapply, clean and the cycle continues.

Anyways this is a nice build, it's pretty easy and everything comes together quite well. Of course it was quite fun to build too!

Hi MinoRem. I have a question: What technique are you using to do the panel lines: a pin wash or a sludge wash ?. That might me the solution to fulfill your wish of having a cleaner looking model. Another one: Are you also re-scribing the panel lines before painting ?.

I guess it's sludge wash if I'm just applying a mixture of thinner and enamel on it then cleaning.

The only time I rescribe the panel is when I've sanded parts too much and the lines have disappeared otherwise I leave it as it is.

Maybe a pin wash might work better for you. And then you can manage the dirt and weathering later, at your own will. See link below:

http://www.scalespot.com/reference/panellines/panellines.htm

Edited by ivorysniper

Maybe a pin wash might work better for you. And then you can manage the dirt and weathering later, at your own will. See link below:

http://www.scalespot.com/reference/panellines/panellines.htm

I can't do whether that's probably why I smug wash, it just a bit of a dirty look that's not too pristine. I use pin wash on gundam cos it's much easier and way different than hase macross kits.

Speakers! :D

There's an episode on the TV series where Ranka goes to sing to a zentran military installation and is accompanied by Michael and his sniper valk. The speakers were a big deal in that episode (and possibly others directly after). My memory is fuzzy but that's a brief synopsis.

Ordered one.

The way Hasegawa is moving the business with new kits from Macross F suggests we will be having a lot of VF-25 Variants on a near future. There's enough meat to have the VF-25A 'Cannon Fodder' on the box already.

• 2 years later...

If it doesn't come with ghosts, then I have enough vf-25's to mix-and-match everyone a superpack...

if it DOES come with ghosts :ph34r:

Did the regular release feature Ghosts? I don't think it did... Bandai re-issues might be your best bet for them at this point.

EDIT:

While we're at it, did the regular RVF feature anything that might not be included in this one? The 25G has the speakers and Ranka figure (and copilot seat?) that I don't believe made it to the Super version.

Edited by kajnrig

I skipped the regular release because I already had the Bandai one (specifically for the ghosts). My thinking was to build the ghosts and add them to my DX RVF-25. I planned to modify a spare set of supers I had. That was a good idea till I discovered the supers for the DX are a bit different between the regular and RVF versions. The mounting pylon for the dish fouls on the regular versions backpack super part. Modding it now seems like it'd be a lot of work. Plus I still have to paint all the extra bits and pieces and find options for the markings as well.

This kit may just free me from all that work and prompt me to sell the DX RVF and Bandai 1/72 kit (minus the ghosts)...