1/72 Zentradi Gnerl fighter?

captain america

Hi everyone.

I was looking to gauge interest in the idea of a 1/72 Zentradi Gnerl fighter pod. For those that don't know what the "Gnerl" is, look to the very first episode of SDF: Macross. They're the green flying craft that the Zentradi send down in their initial assault.

Anyhoo, based on the research I've done, this would be quite a sizeable model in 1/72: about 38cm long from the tip of the gun to the rear tail fins. My aim would be to incorporate the following features:

-A canopy that may be posed open or closed

-Fully detailed cockpit; perhaps even with consoles molded in clear to facilitate illumination, should some modelers wish to add that little extra.

-Landing gear that may be built eitherin extended or retracted configuration.

-A seated pilot figure would be included. In so much as there is no conclusive evidence to determine which type of body armor the pilot wears, I will retain the armor variant I already have, and eventually, will offer the high-ranking officer's armor as a separate figure at a later point.

Projected kit price: 300 canadian dollars + shipping.

Also, I intend this model to be limited to 30 castings, and as such, I would ask that only those people who are certain they want a kit to "opt in."

My intent is to proceed with the same manner as I usually do: photo updates on a weekly basis, but since this is a relatively pricy kit, I'll also be taking deposits once most of the masters are done. I figure the deposit will be $100 or so.

Anyhoo, if anyone's interested, you know the drill. :ph34r:

I like to know how long do you think will it take to get this one done. Waiting for 30 people to commit might take a bit longer than usual. At this moment I have the funds, but If we are projecting this to a couple of months or longer then I would hesitate committing now...

This model might become the holy grail for some since I doubt anyone else will set on an enterprise of making one. I'd hate to miss it.

I like to know how long do you think will it take to get this one done. Waiting for 30 people to commit might take a bit longer than usual. At this moment I have the funds, but If we are projecting this to a couple of months or longer then I would hesitate committing now...

This model might become the holy grail for some since I doubt anyone else will set on an enterprise of making one. I'd hate to miss it.

Yes, I'd say give it a good month, maybe 2.

Captain,

Can you please give me an idea of the size of this kit, I think its going to be huge, pretty much all of captains kits are the holy grail guys, they are the best quality that money can buy.

Rob

P.S. I have included a picture for your Capt.

Captain,

Can you please give me an idea of the size of this kit, I think its going to be huge, pretty much all of captains kits are the holy grail guys, they are the best quality that money can buy.

Rob

P.S. I have included a picture for your Capt.

Cap said it in the first post, 38 cms.

Cool8er

I understand that it will be about 15 in in length , just wanted to know the other dimensions and maybe an idea of the weight of the kit. I am looking forward to this kit and his other enemy kits also. :rolleyes:

Regards

Rob

Cool8er

I understand that it will be about 15 in in length , just wanted to know the other dimensions and maybe an idea of the weight of the kit. I am looking forward to this kit and his other enemy kits also. :rolleyes:

Regards

Rob

About 25cm high, and 28cm wide. Weight is and will be unknown until a full kit is cast.

Aaaagh! Pricey, but we all know it will be a beautiful thing!

I can't wait (although my wallet can :lol: )

I AM IN!

Keep the preorders coming folks, looks like we're doing good thus far.

In the meantime, I've been busy drafting the building templates for the Gnerl. As with most Macross mecha, I seem to find myself with conflicting lineart... I wonder why that is? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think I've gotten most of the "bugs" worked out, so I started printing out some of my reference material. Here's a pic of the Gnerl next to the aborted hull of the Launch Vehicle. Pretty big eh?

post-632-1205348974_thumb.jpg

That conflicting line art thing drives me nuts! I have to go and look at it a few times before deciding in some cases. I've even gone to my wife and said, "what do you think." I don't envy you, but I know there's gonna be a lot of happy kit recipients out there. Making the world a better place, one model at a time ^_^. - MT

Wow! I'ts bigger than I expect. I always see it little than that.

Good Look!

And that's even after I reduced it to 34cm from the initial 38cm!! :lol:

I felt that based on the size of the average soldier, the dimensions I originally had (no numerical values were given in Perfect Memory)seemed a tad large; cockpit was TOO roomy for a Zentradi mecha. Now it's a more tight fit. Not as tight as a regult, but more like moderately uncomfortable. ^_^

That conflicting line art thing drives me nuts! I have to go and look at it a few times before deciding in some cases. I've even gone to my wife and said, "what do you think." I don't envy you, but I know there's gonna be a lot of happy kit recipients out there. Making the world a better place, one model at a time ^_^. - MT

I'm one of those happy recipients. :D

Captain, I've done some screen captures if you are interested.

And that's even after I reduced it to 34cm from the initial 38cm!! :lol:

I felt that based on the size of the average soldier, the dimensions I originally had (no numerical values were given in Perfect Memory)seemed a tad large; cockpit was TOO roomy for a Zentradi mecha. Now it's a more tight fit. Not as tight as a regult, but more like moderately uncomfortable. ^_^

To be perfectly honest, you had me at 38cm...but less so at 34. Size IS everything, lol. Can we have the price pro-rated to the new length? I make that $268. (JOKE!)

I do understand your reasoning and I'm tentatively up for one; the real issue isn't size or price so much as interpretation. I've seen CG and solid Gnerl models done well and done 'less well'; it definitely requires an artist's touch to get the right balance. I'd like to see your masters taking shape before I make a firm decision, but thanks for tackling the old Fighter Pod, it's totally an interesting topic.

Cheers,

Martyn

To be perfectly honest, you had me at 38cm...but less so at 34. Size IS everything, lol. Can we have the price pro-rated to the new length? I make that $268. (JOKE!)

I do understand your reasoning and I'm tentatively up for one; the real issue isn't size or price so much as interpretation. I've seen CG and solid Gnerl models done well and done 'less well'; it definitely requires an artist's touch to get the right balance. I'd like to see your masters taking shape before I make a firm decision, but thanks for tackling the old Fighter Pod, it's totally an interesting topic.

Cheers,

Martyn

Obviously you are not familiar with Moscato's sculpts or casting quality... that canuk is a master.

Edited by 007-vf1

Obviously you are not familiar with Moscato's sculpts or casting quality... that canuk is a master.

I'm sorry if I was unclear. I know John's work, and I wasn't referring to or questioning his mastering or casting skills at all.

I was alluding to the conflicting line art and the possibility of a final DESIGN interpretation that differs from my subjective 'feel' for how a Gnerl should look. The other scratches and CG work I've seen have often been technically good, but I'd have done things differently. The line art's loose enough to allow for interpretation.

Cheers,

Martyn

You can guarantee that unless John is 100% happy it will end up as fire wood on his stove, he'd rather not do it, than do it not "right".

Edited by big F

You can guarantee that unless John is 100% happy it will end up as fire wood on his stove, he'd rather not do it, than do it not "right".

OK, looks like I have still failed to make my point clear. Repeating - I AM NOT CHALLENGING JOHN'S WORKMANSHIP. I know it's good! I was one of the many who were eagerly following his Legioss fighter project, for example.

But masterful workmanship doesn't matter if I - subjectively - decide his cockpit is thinner than I'd have liked it, or his engine fins match the line art front view when I'd have preferred them to match the line art side view, or anything like that. It's a kinda subjective thing and there's no way to tell in advance.

He's already made the point that he's going to have to make decisions of interpretation because the line art is not consistent. Am I making sense now? :)

Cheers,

Martyn

OK, looks like I have still failed to make my point clear. Repeating - I AM NOT CHALLENGING JOHN'S WORKMANSHIP. I know it's good! I was one of the many who were eagerly following his Legioss fighter project, for example.

But masterful workmanship doesn't matter if I - subjectively - decide his cockpit is thinner than I'd have liked it, or his engine fins match the line art front view when I'd have preferred them to match the line art side view, or anything like that. It's a kinda subjective thing and there's no way to tell in advance.

He's already made the point that he's going to have to make decisions of interpretation because the line art is not consistent. Am I making sense now? :)

Cheers,

Martyn

I know what you mean but everytime we have threads about Johns work someone usually asks what the quaility is like, so although you are very familiar with his work I was kinda pre-empting the likely questions. No offence was intended.

If only proper line art existed then there would be now doubts. Nowadays its a no brainer as CGI and action figure rights demand acurate line art. Oh!! how things have changed in 25 years :)