Ahab's Shipyard builds the Yamato 1/2000 SDF-1 Macross

Ahab

Hey All,

Here's a small update.

Been nibbling on the ARMD's and SDF feet, but not really enough to justify a post yet. The mini monster is coming along, though. Since I'll be casting at least 4 for the displays, I'm only sculpting one arm and one leg. I'll mold the pieces and cast enough for the whole cast.

post-4655-0-16546900-1332121536_thumb.jpg

Til next time...

I think you should consider casting all of them as a kit, with collections taking up so much space these days this is the ultimate in space saving. Plus think of the saving in paint costs. Seriously thought your eyesight must be awesome.

I think you should consider casting all of them as a kit, with collections taking up so much space these days this is the ultimate in space saving. Plus think of the saving in paint costs. Seriously thought your eyesight must be awesome.

Hey, that's a good idea!

The monster and the regult are, more or less, kits. Eventually, if the interest is there, I'd like offer these mini mechs to those interested (along with the TV carriers in 1/2000 scale).

Cheers-

Ahab

Ahoy!

Here's a small lighting test (only two lights) I rigged up for the ARMD carriers. The antennas are made of alluminum: .5mm (O.D) and .3mm (I.D) with a 10 mil fiber optic running through.

Each carrier will feature several illuminated and gimmick free antennae/towers/greebles etc. As for the fiber optics, I found 10 mil to feel the most scale. Of course I will mix it up with some 20, 30 and 40 mil depending on the function of the light. Each ship will also feature stobes and navigation lights (with a little help from Trek Modeller!).

Note: If you don't click on the image, you'll really have to squint to see the lights...but they are there! :) ....and more red than they appear in photos.

BTW: In the first image the lights are off.

post-4655-0-65147800-1332916219_thumb.jpg

post-4655-0-28367700-1332916258_thumb.jpg

post-4655-0-84608200-1332916279_thumb.jpg

Thanks for lookin'!

Ahab-

Edited by Ahab

Ahoy Everyone!

Apologies for the lack of posts of late, but I've been revamping my shop a bit. My old (and when I say 'old', I'm talkin 70 years+,old) vacuum pump has finally bitten the dust. I've joined the 21st century and bought a Robinair 1.5 CFM pump.

For those who aren't familiar with the mold making process, a vacuum pump and chamber/pot are used to evacuate air from silicone. The advantage of this is not only evident in cleaner (bubble free) molds but in consistant castings. When pressure casting, too much air in silicone molds can distort castings somewhat. Its not always evident at a casual glance, but precision castings can suffer.

Farewell, my beauty...

post-4655-0-57767200-1333598564_thumb.jpg

More updates in a few days....

Ahab-

So like before WWII started, your pump was made :o That's cool. The older stuff was built to last. I recently bought a 35 year old 9" Craftsman Radial arm saw, same reason. The only change was to machine out the guard to fit easily available 10" blades. I'm cutting thin stock with fine toothed blades so should'nt be affected. Keep us updated. - MT