Official PS2 Macross Secrets Thread

Adventure

Okay, for those who have the game and have been playing/finished the game, please post all the known secrets here (like how to get a particular craft/card, which stage to use who, etc.)

Obviously this will contain spoilers for those who haven't finished the game (or watched the anime!) so you have been warned!

The secret I've found so far is if you use VF-1A Kakizaki Paint in mission A-07 you get a... treat :-)

I'm curious in how to get Max's paint and Hikaru's VF-1S paint, and also how to unlock the secret planes.

Keep the secrets coming! :>

Choujikuu Yousai Macross (henceforth abbreviated to just plain ''Macross'')

from macross compedinum: secret fighters include:

vf-0, sv-51, yf-19(!), yf21(!) Those fighters were shown in the fighter select screen on prerelease footage. No one's been able to unlock them yet though so they might not have made it into the final version.

get the card for the VF-1J "Hikaru's paint" by completing mission 5 of the TV mode. You need to finish the mission with rank S to unlock this plane.

It appears that netting an "S" rank will get you a card on any stage. Don't quote me on that just yet, though...

I read somewhere on the net that in order to unlock the last 3 planes, you need to get 16+ rank S out of the 20 missions. I have 14 now and it's so damn hard to get the last 2. It's so much harder to get rank S in the movie mode missions. :(....Free battle is a secret in itself. Try playing as different characters on stages significant to them in the original story. You may notice Kakizaki's VF-1 becomes unavailable for stages after his untimely demise. Try out the "Iseki" stage.

post-6-1067497196.gif

Edited by wemery73

I just played P-05 with armoured VF-1J and beat it with S Rank (it was pretty easy). I got the Hikaru VF-1J card but I don't think my record got saved... so I don't think that would count towards the 16 out of 20 S Rank missions to get planes unlocked.

Anybody knows how to get Hikaru's VF-1S? Can't wait to use that on A-08 - I wonder if it would be instant death for Badoza :)

Man the scoring in this game is a little goofy. Don't know what's most important: Kills?, Time?, Health?, or Hit percentage?

So I thought this might help some of you as a guide. I am in no way a master of this game and if somebody can post better scores it would be great. Anyway here are my Grades and hit %'s:

LEV GRD %

1P = A = 38%

2p = A = 45

3p = A = 37

4p = S = 17

5p = S = 58

6p = A = 59

7p = S = 64

8P = S = 51

9p = S = 47

10p=S = 39

11p=B = 56

12p=B = 56

1A = B =42%

2A = A =31

3A = D =46

4A = B = 55

5A = A = 69

6a = c = 35

7a = S = 42

8a = D = 45

As you can see I suck at the ARMD levels. Anyway hope this helps people know how close they are to getting a better grade.

ive noticed that hit percentage sometimes dosent matter in your rank, ive gotten an S ranking with a 10% hit rate on one level.... the thing i have noticed to get a S ranking on later levels is having a high level of heath. i have all the valks except for roys vf-1s, which you have to have all S rankings for every stage... the stage im stuck on is the last stage in DYRL levels.....trying to beat bodolza with 90-100% health left is really hard....also do a lot of rolls and shoot missles down with head lazers help the score too i think(but dont quote me on that last part!! :p )

How to beat milla without incurring any damage...

Fly in fighter straight at her. Pass here while rolling to avoid her missles. Once you have passed her keep flying away from her until she is at the very bottom of your radar screen. Now bank hard while applying the air brake. Milla will fire her missles...don't worry...keep banking and lock on as soon a possible. As you do lock on and fire one volly of heavy missles or 1.5 volly's of micro missles and then roll again just after you fire. pass her and repeat the process.

I've beat milla about 6x on each of the stages without damage by using this method.

to get max vf-1j play P missions 1-5 get an A ranking or higher with max's vf-1a tv version

to get millia vf-1j play P 9 pinapple salad get an S ranking with max tv vf-1j

to get roys vf-1s get all S on every stage

to get vf-1d play through the tutorial

You don't need to actually achieve S rank to get Max and Miria's VF-1J - you just need to pass the stage with the corresponding fighter paint.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the 1S of Hikaru and Max (?) (I know the last one must be Focker's)

There should be at least some difference if your VF-1 is fastpack equipped.

Well, with FAST Packs fitted you carry more missiles (I think) and also fire more missiles per salvo.

You may also be faster, but as there is no speed gauge (grrrr :angry: ) it's difficult to judge.

Oh, and the Strike cannon is awesome. Although it's limited to only 29 shots (IIRC), it does a lot of damage and takes out Regults with a single shot. Can't remember if it can destroy a Q-Rau with a single shot or not.

Graham

Probably all the same as I didn't notice any difference between the other respective paints (i.e. it's just the paintjob, the skill of flying depends on the pilot, i.e. you :-) )

I guess this one nitpick where Robotech: Battlecry MIGHT upstage this game.

In R:BC each (ahem) veritech had it's own pros and cons (i.e. the VF-1S had heavy weapondry but weaker armor compared to the VF-1D's high armor). :p

You don't need to actually achieve S rank to get Max and Miria's VF-1J - you just need to pass the stage with the corresponding fighter paint.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the 1S of Hikaru and Max (?) (I know the last one must be Focker's)

Are you able to get Miria's VF-1J if just play the Free Battle stages with the corresponding paints or do we have to play through the whole stage again?

I beat Miria's Q-Rau in the Free Battle with A rank last night using Max's paint scheme but did not get any cards.

Regards

Weird - you're supposed to be able to get Max's VF-1J if you clear the first 5 stages (P stages) - not sure what else you're missing... maybe there are some other pre-reqs like you need to get Hikaru's VF-1J first?

About Miria's VF-1J, you need to use Max's VF-1J to defeat her in the Pine Salad stage (not the 1A)

I am not sure how many S ranks I have right now, but it's good to know that I can get something before achieving all S ranks (i.e. getting Max and Hikaru's 1S before that).

I still got a long way I think, coz honestly I don't think I'm that great in the game... some stages I rock, but others, it's just a little hard... especially with boss fights, it's difficult to maintain a high HP.

BTW, strike pack is awesome... you get 30 shots each time and you can destroy regults with one shot! It takes about 3-4 shots for the glg's and probably about the same for the nld (I forgot the official names, hee).

I don't find the fast pack especially useful although it does make your valkyrie look cooler...

I haven't seen it mentioned in any of these threads, but you can set colors (and they are saved) for each of the base VF-1 models, from the options screen.

this allows you to, for example, set the color of the default VF-1S to red, and have Hikaru's DYRL VF-1S. the unlockable specific character VFs are done this way. you can even try out new colors that don't match anybody, or set the colors to gray for more of a low-vis look.

on the CF style VF-1A, you can change the entire tan portion to any color.

the only ones you couldn't do would be Max and Miria's VF-1J (set the color on the VF-1J to red, and you get Hikaru's though), and Max's TV VF-1A.

That color is mostly for your wingmen's and the 'red' color you can select is not the same as Hikaru's color...  I mean otherwise why would you have Hikaru's VF-1A and VF-1S?

Yup I agree the colors are different. They don't even call it red on the color selection screen, it's 'ochre' IIRC. And of course you don't get the Skull sign on the FAST packs either.

I usually choose grey, definitely looks cooler IMO than the defult purple scheme.

Graham

About Miria's VF-1J, you need to use Max's VF-1J to defeat her in the Pine Salad stage (not the 1A)

Hi thee,

I was not using a VF-1A, I was using a VF-1J with blue paint scheme to fight Miria in the Pineapple Salad stage via the free battle option and I won but I did not get any new cards. I suppose you cannot get any cards from the free battle option.

Hi thee,

I was not using a VF-1A, I was using a VF-1J with blue paint scheme to fight Miria in the Pineapple Salad stage via the free battle option and I won but I did not get any new cards. I suppose you cannot get any cards from the free battle option.

You need S-rank in order to get Miria's 1J

translated directly from this link: http://www.g-res.com/Playstation2/Ta/TA-Macross.html

VF-1A Hikaru's Paint: Clear ARMD-1 (movie) version

VF-1A Kakizaki's Paint: Clear Prometheus (TV) version

VF-1J Hikaru's Paint: Get 5 S rankings

VF-1J Max's Paint: Clear stages 1 - 5 of Prometheus (TV) version with Max's VF-1A with A rankings or above

VF-1J Miria's Paint: Clear "Pine Salad" (sic) with Max's VF-1J*

VF-1S Fokker's Paint: Clear ALL stages with an S rank

*"Pine Salad" = Pineapple Salad = "Farewell Big Brother" = TV stage where Roy is wounded

translated directly from this link: http://www.g-res.com/Playstation2/Ta/TA-Macross.html

VF-1A Hikaru's Paint: Clear ARMD-1 (movie) version

VF-1A Kakizaki's Paint: Clear Prometheus (TV) version

VF-1J Hikaru's Paint: Get 5 S rankings

VF-1J Max's Paint: Clear stages 1 - 5 of Prometheus (TV) version with Max's VF-1A with A rankings or above

VF-1J Miria's Paint: Clear "Pine Salad" (sic) with Max's VF-1J*

VF-1S Fokker's Paint: Clear ALL stages with an S rank

*"Pine Salad" = Pineapple Salad = "Farewell Big Brother" = TV stage where Roy is wounded

It's not technically a spelling error.

The episode really is called Pine Salad. At least, that's how it's pronounced on the next episode preview(I love those things) *edit* and how everyone keeps saying it throughout the episode.

Edited by JB0

hey guys,

how do you get max's vf-1a?

FYI, i got the vf-1a, 1j, 1s, 1d, elint, ostrich, lightning, kakizaki's 1a and hikaru's 1a all by getting D ranking in most of the stages...yes i suck...so you don't really have to get an S ranking to get the fighters.

thanks!

Hi thee,

I don't remember if 'blue paint' is available but that won't cut it.

You need exactly VF-1J Max Paint.

You get a bunch of cards by finishing the game (you don't need to achieve any particular rank) but inorder to get all the remaining 'hidden' cards you need to play Free Battle and finishing particular stages with usually A+ ranks or use a corresponding paint that has significance in that mission.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

And again, the color paint doesn't get you any cards, the character paints would - i.e. Hikaru Paint, Max Paint, etc.

Anybody with Focker paint tried to play the stage where Focker is mortally wounded... I wonder what would happen o.o