What The? Ohhh Wow

evirus

im suddenly reminded of an "analog stick" speaker, screen, light, attachment for my game boy, it was like one of those latch on crappy things...... i saw something like that for the keyboard a little while ago, looks just as crappy...

Too bad, Macross 1 doesn't work. Others do. Now I need a pad.

Super Nintendo's Scrambled Valkyrie is fun too btw.

379802[/snapback]

macross 1 for MAME works.... just the sounds are a little off

379807[/snapback]

Not on my system. It freezes on loading and there is just a screen full of zeros. :(

Emulators need sometimes tweaking. I didn't check out which kind of options there are for that, yet. I hope I'll get it running.

Too bad, Macross 1 doesn't work. Others do. Now I need a pad.

Super Nintendo's Scrambled Valkyrie is fun too btw.

379802[/snapback]

macross 1 for MAME works.... just the sounds are a little off

379807[/snapback]

Not on my system. It freezes on loading and there is just a screen full of zeros. :(

Emulators need sometimes tweaking. I didn't check out which kind of options there are for that, yet. I hope I'll get it running.

379916[/snapback]

But MAME isn't one of those retarded jillion-plugin PSEmu-inspired pieces of crap. Everything supported either works or doesn't work.

You've either got a bad MAME or bad ROM images. I'm inclined to believe the latter.

No, I waited quite long, and tried many times. The other games load quickly. It's possibly just that those emulators/games don't necessarily work equally good on all systems. In Amiga, Snes etc games/emulators it's quite a big percent which don't work, but they might work on some other computer, or so I'd believe.

No, I waited quite long, and tried many times. The other games load quickly. It's possibly just that those emulators/games don't necessarily work equally good on all systems. In Amiga, Snes etc games/emulators it's quite a big percent which don't work, but they might work on some other computer, or so I'd believe.

380006[/snapback]

Shouldn't.

The same emulator should run identically on all systems, barring screwups in cross-OS ports.

No, didn't help. :(

Edit: Ok, I downloaded the game also from another site. Doesn't work. There's something wrong with my mame, I guess. Now I need to find it from some other place...

...It works now on this (3rd) mame32 I just downloaded from another site. But there is no sound. Someone tell me where I can get a good mame32... <_<

I hope I got no viruses from all those mames...

Edited by Sdf-1

I downloaded the official command line version and it works good, with sound. I created a good old .bat file for execution. Too bad I don't remember how to make options on those, so I could make a game select menu. It was like 12 years ago when I played with that kind of stuff last time. :p

Yeah, this is ok for me. I should've tried the official mame in the first place. I just wanted to have a GUI. But with batch execution it's just a doubleclick anyway. :)

380354[/snapback]

I use the EmuLoader frontend, personally.

http://www.mameworld.net/emuloader/

Me and MAME32 have a long and elaborate history of hatred. That and the MAME32 GUI sucks super monkey balls.

Yeah, I was thinking that's what those frontends were. Couldn't translate that word well, and I kinda ignored and forgot it. :lol:

These old school games are insanely hard! I can't believe the amount of stuff flying around the screen. Qwerty doesn't make things any easier. :rolleyes:

At least we can afford playing those arcades nowadays. Hmm, I was thinking about some of my childhood favourite arcades, the few I knew. I already found out that Altered beast and Narc are for MAME. I'd like to get Sega's Space Harrier too. I got to check if it's a MAME game. Oh yeah, and Splatterhouse. :p

MAME32 didn't refresh visible the new games I moved to ROM directory. I had to set the path everytime to do it. That alone was pretty annoying. Not to mention that Macross didn't work at all.

These old school games are insanely hard! I can't believe the amount of stuff flying around the screen. Qwerty doesn't make things any easier. :rolleyes:

New-school shooters are even worse.

Pull down Mars Matrix. *evil grin*

Hmm, I was thinking about some of my childhood favourite arcades, the few I knew. I already found out that Altered beast and Narc are for MAME. I'd like to get Sega's Space Harrier too. I got to check if it's a MAME game. Oh yeah, and Splatterhouse. :p

Space Harrier is emulated. Dunno about Splatterhouse.

MAME32 didn't refresh visible the new games I moved to ROM directory. I had to set the path everytime to do it. That alone was pretty annoying. Not to mention that Macross didn't work at all.

Join the anti-MAME32 club.

Though hitting F5 forces a list refresh.

And I DO understand why they don't refresh every time you load by default(I( suspect there's an option somewhere to enable that behavior).

The more games you have, the longer it takes, and MAME supports a couple thousand ROM image sets(somewhat less in terms of real games since there's multiple clones and revisions of many games and many gmaes that just won't run). A refresh with 2000 zips in the rom image directory would take a LONG time.

Yeah, I was thinking that's what those frontends were. Couldn't translate that word well, and I kinda ignored and forgot it. :lol:

At least we can afford playing those arcades nowadays. Hmm, I was thinking about some of my childhood favourite arcades, the few I knew. I already found out that Altered beast and Narc are for MAME. I'd like to get Sega's Space Harrier too. I got to check if it's a MAME game. Oh yeah, and Splatterhouse. :p

380534[/snapback]

yah for the most part they are currency eaters, especially macross plus....

Space Harrier is emulated. Dunno about Splatterhouse.
I played already Splatterhouse. I can't believe how sick games I've seen as a kid! :blink::lol: Space Harrier speech samples were totally gay. :p
And I DO understand why they don't refresh every time you load by default(I( suspect there's an option somewhere to enable that behavior).

The more games you have, the longer it takes, and MAME supports a couple thousand ROM image sets(somewhat less in terms of real games since there's multiple clones and revisions of many games and many gmaes that just won't run). A refresh with 2000 zips in the rom image directory would take a LONG time.

380633[/snapback]

Yeah, that's true. I found the refreshing in mame frontend anyway.

These games are too difficult. Designed as currency eaters as evirus said. They would be a lot better if they were balanced for humans. I remember how some people spent coin on those. I never played but 1 or 2 credits. Except there was an arcade where you paid a certain sum in advance and could play for few hours, which games you wanted. Not a big selection though. Oh those times. No. These games ruin your sanity and make you epileptic. I blame HG. :wacko:

Edited by Sdf-1

These games are too difficult. Designed as currency eaters as evirus said. They would be a lot better if they were balanced for humans. I remember how some people spent coin on those. I never played but 1 or 2 credits. Except there was an arcade where you paid a certain sum in advance and could play for few hours, which games you wanted. Not a big selection though. Oh those times. No. These games ruin your sanity and make you epileptic. I blame HG. :wacko:

380645[/snapback]

The problem with scrolling shooters is they've gotten incestuous.

Macross Plus shows this particularly well.

The genre has a small but loyal following. That loyal following doesn't WANT a game that's easy. So they cater to that following and make mean f'ers that fill the entire screen with bullets early on and never let up.

UNFORTUNATELY, that difficulty serves as a deterrent to newcomers, ensuring that the genre doesn't grow.

Actually I am kind of a fan of the genre, but I really played this kind of games as a kid last time (except a couple of emulator games I've tried few times), and wasn't so good player even then. But I still think these games have some attitude & style.

Have you played R-type final JB0? I would think that's the ultimate game in this genre, with todays technology. I haven't myself though. Just what I've seen when it came out.

IIRC they still release some "official" games of this genre, in Japan most likely. Not to mention fan based stuff of course. "New school" games have more depth at the best, but these are just so damn addicting. :D

Actually I am kind of a fan of the genre, but I really played this kind of games as a kid last time (except a couple of emulator games I've tried few times), and wasn't so good player even then. But I still think these games have some attitude & style.

I like 'em too. But modern ones are designed, however unintentionally, to scare newbies away.

Have you played R-type final JB0? I would think that's the ultimate game in this genre, with todays technology. I haven't myself though. Just what I've seen when it came out.

I own it. Beat it on the easier difficulty levels.

It's a really neat game, but it suffers massive slowdown in places that it really shouldn't.

Also generates my traditional unholy love/hatered for irem. Which basically means in part that it has a reasonably good difficulty curve. Starts friendly for the novice, and after a few levels it gets pretty hostile.

It ALSO means that it focuses too heavily on pattern memorization, which is a gameplay paradigm I dislike.

IIRC they still release some "official" games of this genre, in Japan most likely. Not to mention fan based stuff of course. "New school" games have more depth at the best, but these are just so damn addicting.  :D

Yes. The genre still lives. Even makes it to America from time to time.

Ikaruga would be a notable recent release. As well as a notably over-rated one. Chaos Field had a US release too, but it was in very small quantities.