All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Like I said, while I'm happy to see this coming, I have to remember who is making this title and I've been one of the unfortunate who have been on the receiving end of their work for the past 10+ years.

I suppose ignorance is bliss. I've never played a game by DICE before, and I really enjoyed the last SW Battlefront game for the PS2 (which was probably not made by DICE).

Nope. The originals were made by Pandemic, who also made Destroy All Humans, Full Spectrum Warrior, and Mercenaries. EA bought them almost exactly around the time they bought Bioware, then killed them off.

Honestly, my main concern? BF2 had TONS of user-made content, and the developers released a full-function SDK for it. It really allowed people to build on the original game, and develop some great stuff to expand on it.

This? Are there even any mods for the recent Battlefield games? Or does EA have such an iron-fisted grip over anything multiplayer that you can't even look at the underlying files, let alone modify them? I know the older games had tons of mods, and I think Vietnam even started as a user mod.. but I haven't seen anything like that in a long time.

Also.. while I understand not having actual space battles, it's still disappointing. Not that the BF2 space levels were all that impressive design-wise, but they were loads of fun, and I spent most of my time in them.

Edited by Chronocidal

This? Are there even any mods for the recent Battlefield games? Or does EA have such an iron-fisted grip over anything multiplayer that you can't even look at the underlying files, let alone modify them? I know the older games had tons of mods, and I think Vietnam even started as a user mod.. but I haven't seen anything like that in a long time.

Technically, Hardline is a mod of Battlefield 4.

K, guess that's good to hear, though maybe I'm thinking more along the lines of how older games let you locally host matches, and apply whatever mods or custom settings you wanted. I don't know if any of EA's current infrastructure would allow that kind of freedom with the game.

Edited by Chronocidal

Unfortunately, EA has quite a hold and DICE hasn't let the community make mods with their Frostbite engines (unless you want to pay up). So unless there's a push, don't expect to see much community-created content in Battlefront.

If BF4 and Hardline have given us any indication, Battlefront will cost $59.99. If you want Premium or Season Pass, that will cost and extra $49.99. With that you will get the 4-5 DLCs at reduce cost and other exclusives like early access to those DLCs, in-game goodies, and some other stuff. Otherwise, you'll pay ~$12.99 per DLC.

Unfortunately, EA has quite a hold and DICE hasn't let the community make mods with their Frostbite engines (unless you want to pay up). So unless there's a push, don't expect to see much community-created content in Battlefront.

If BF4 and Hardline have given us any indication, Battlefront will cost $59.99. If you want Premium or Season Pass, that will cost and extra $49.99. With that you will get the 4-5 DLCs at reduce cost and other exclusives like early access to those DLCs, in-game goodies, and some other stuff. Otherwise, you'll pay ~$12.99 per DLC.

Yeah, that just seems to be the standard business model for games these days. It used to be just big-budget games, now it seems like even relatively obscure stuff is coming out with season passes at launch.

So... looks like I'll be waiting for a GotY edition with all DLC included...

I'd honestly rather dig out my BF2 discs, and start upgrading that game to the current standard. This membership crap for stand alone games is getting old. How about you stop charging me for multiplayer functionality, and let me host the game on my own computer?

Given EA's traditional epic fail launch format, I'd think it would save them a TON of trouble if they just offloaded the hosting to the players, and stopped trying to pretend they know how to estimate the server power required to run their own games.

Guest davidwhangchoi

off topic from EA/DICE...

pleasant thing happened today. Gamestop called me for filling out a survey and allowed me to order Lucina and Robin Amiibos! those things are extremely hard to pre-order. very surprised at gamestop's C.S. looks like i may shop there in the future again.

http://kotaku.com/guillermo-del-toro-says-silent-hills-is-not-gonna-happ-1700294474

Not surprised one bit by this news, just very disappointed.

Yeah. I loved the first two Silent Hill games, but I totally lost interest after that. P.T. was excellent, though, and Silent Hills was the first game in the series I was actually looking forward to in ages.

And the plot thickens.

Konami Voluntarily Delists Itself from New York Stock Exchange

On the same day that Konami officially confirmed that Silent Hills is no longer in development, the company has announced [PDF link] that it's voluntarily delisted itself from the New York Stock Exchange. The company's American Depositary Shares are no longer listed as of April 24.Konami has also announced that it's filed a Form 15F with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) to terminate its obligation to report quarterly financial earnings in English. However, the company said it will continue to do so in an effort to "ensure that [Konami's] overseas shareholders and investors will continue to have appropriate information."

Konami's deregistration with the SEC will become effective July 12, while reporting obligations will come to an end on July 23 (though as mentioned above, Konami will continue to make this information available in English).

As for why Konami is doing this, the publisher said in its Form 15F that, over the past year, 99.71 percent of the company's common stock was traded in Japan and the United Kingdom. By region, Japan accounted for 97.48 percent, while the UK made up 2.23 percent, leaving just .29 percent for the US.

Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter told GameSpot today that Konami's decision to delist itself from the NYSE is a "cost-saving move." He estimated that taking this action will save the company about $5-$10 million per year. "The stock doesn't trade much [in the US], so it probably occurred to them that it wasn't worth being listed [in the US]," Pachter explained.

Konami will report earnings for its latest final period next week on May 8. It's possible that the publisher will shed more light on why it's decided to delist shares from the NYSE during this event.

In other recent Konami news, the publisher is reportedly in the midst of a power struggle with veteran developer Hideo Kojima. He's expected to leave Konami after Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ships in September.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/konami-voluntarily-delists-itself-from-new-york-st/1100-6426924/

Wow. Uh... yeah.

So... not to totally change the subject or anything... but I finally got around to importing Gundam Breaker 2. For those of you not familiar with the series, it's a Gundam game, but unlike the vast majority of Gundam games, you're not actually playing as a Gundam pilot. Instead, you build Gundam models, then take on a variety of missions with your model to collect more parts you can upgrade your model with. It's got a heavy hack and slash feel, almost like Dynasty Warriors Gundam/Gundam Musou, but ranged and special attacks are more important.

For those of you who are familiar, there's a number of changes from the first one, mostly positive.

+Individual parts have levels, and can be upgraded. In other words, sure, a Strike Gundam body might be better than a GM II's body, but if you really like that GM II body, you can upgrade it so that it's still useful.

+The controls are tweaked a bit. Instead holding L1 and pressing a button to fire your ranged weapon, L1 simply fires your ranged weapon. Hold it to fire a more powerful charged shot.

+Specials are changed too. Instead of having more powerful versions that take longer to charge, you can level them up with use. After firing off a special, it will recharge to a lower level first, then the higher level. If you use the special before it's charged to full, it'll be the weaker version. Useful in a pinch.

+More parts from more suits, including a F91, Victory, AGE, and Pale Rider.

+More options for painting, with many parts having double the number of areas for separate colors and the ability to use metallic paints.

+Not a lot of Japanese is required to figure out how to play the game.

-Still kind of grindy, and it's sometimes hard to tell where to get some materials.

-When upgrading a part, it's hard to tell if the upgrade will be better than an un-upgraded different weapon until you've already upgraded it.

-Some Japanese is probably necessary to understand how changing or upgrading a part effects your build.

Overall, I'm really enjoying it and feel comfortable recommending it to Gundam and Gunpla fans looking for an import-friendly game to waste the hours with.

Wow. Uh... yeah.

So... not to totally change the subject or anything... but I finally got around to importing Gundam Breaker 2. For those of you not familiar with the series, it's a Gundam game, but unlike the vast majority of Gundam games, you're not actually playing as a Gundam pilot. Instead, you build Gundam models, then take on a variety of missions with your model to collect more parts you can upgrade your model with. It's got a heavy hack and slash feel, almost like Dynasty Warriors Gundam/Gundam Musou, but ranged and special attacks are more important.

For those of you who are familiar, there's a number of changes from the first one, mostly positive.

+Individual parts have levels, and can be upgraded. In other words, sure, a Strike Gundam body might be better than a GM II's body, but if you really like that GM II body, you can upgrade it so that it's still useful.

+The controls are tweaked a bit. Instead holding L1 and pressing a button to fire your ranged weapon, L1 simply fires your ranged weapon. Hold it to fire a more powerful charged shot.

+Specials are changed too. Instead of having more powerful versions that take longer to charge, you can level them up with use. After firing off a special, it will recharge to a lower level first, then the higher level. If you use the special before it's charged to full, it'll be the weaker version. Useful in a pinch.

+More parts from more suits, including a F91, Victory, AGE, and Pale Rider.

+More options for painting, with many parts having double the number of areas for separate colors and the ability to use metallic paints.

+Not a lot of Japanese is required to figure out how to play the game.

-Still kind of grindy, and it's sometimes hard to tell where to get some materials.

-When upgrading a part, it's hard to tell if the upgrade will be better than an un-upgraded different weapon until you've already upgraded it.

-Some Japanese is probably necessary to understand how changing or upgrading a part effects your build.

Overall, I'm really enjoying it and feel comfortable recommending it to Gundam and Gunpla fans looking for an import-friendly game to waste the hours with.

thanks for the review mike! I'm so wishing they remaster this for the ps4 (or release gb3 for next gen)!

thanks for the review mike! I'm so wishing they remaster this for the ps4 (or release gb3 for next gen)!

Not sure I'm up for double-dipping, but Gundam Breaker 3 would be a must-buy for me if they announce it.

Speaking of... before the PS4, Bamco announced a Gundam game was in development, and made a cool trailer... and that's it. Has anyone heard beans about it since then? I'd love to find out that it's a proper sequel to Gundam Battle Universe, but I'm not holding my breath.

Guest davidwhangchoi

So Konami's taking a page from Capcom's book, then?

it seems that way. unlike american companies aside from indies, it's about making a FPS for huge profits and if you're not getting it done they close down the studio bc american companies it's all about investments and greed. just seems like a lot of Japanese companies and becoming more like these american companies being less about creativity and more about huge profits. capcom definitely trying to adapt to western culture to grab the cash. resident evil is no longer survival horror. megaman is dead.

Nintendo seems like they're trying to keep their culture intact even if it means less profit margin, they really love games itself.

damn you Konami, Kojima is a legend, look at team ninja, it's practically dead... what new game has tecmo produced lately, a retro temco bowl? dead or alive 5+++++++++++++++ super final edition?

(throwing some more paper off my desk :angry:)

it seems that way. unlike american companies aside from indies, it's about making a FPS for huge profits and if you're not getting it done they close down the studio bc american companies it's all about investments and greed. just seems like a lot of Japanese companies and becoming more like these american companies being less about creativity and more about huge profits. capcom definitely trying to adapt to western culture to grab the cash. resident evil is no longer survival horror. megaman is dead.

The march of progress. New small companies will rise, become big companies, and be the new hated incompetent behemoths that get by on name recognition.

Nintendo seems like they're trying to keep their culture intact even if it means less profit margin, they really love games itself.

Yeah... I wouldn't be so sure about that. I mean, how many expansion packs have the released for Mario Kart so far? And they STILL haven't made another F-Zero!

Guest davidwhangchoi

Yeah... I wouldn't be so sure about that. I mean, how many expansion packs have the released for Mario Kart so far? And they STILL haven't made another F-Zero!

but they made a captain falcon amiibo!

Guest davidwhangchoi

was able to pre-order yarn yoshii from uk amazon.

got a green and pink one.

yoshi-yarn-amiibo.png?resize=642%2C300

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

that amiibo tap seems interesting. since bits of retro games come out of it. gives me an excuse to collect amiibos even more

Guest davidwhangchoi

That looks cool, David! Might get it for the wife on Mother's Day

not sure when it's coming out in Canada but it's being released later for the US in sept. uk is shipping in july so it'll be late for mother's day. these things are really hard to pre-order right now due to the shortages and U.S. amiibros importing like crazy drying up other region's supply. wait, i mean it's Nintendo making up the shortage creating this nonsense.

if you need to keep up to date use this link:

http://hm.reddit.com/r/amiibo/

Here's a strange game, looks to be a bit of The Thing mixed with the interrogation scene of Blade Runner. I loved Papers Please so I'll probably love this too.

Edited by dizman

not sure when it's coming out in Canada but it's being released later for the US in sept. uk is shipping in july so it'll be late for mother's day. these things are really hard to pre-order right now due to the shortages and U.S. amiibros importing like crazy drying up other region's supply. wait, i mean it's Nintendo making up the shortage creating this nonsense.

if you need to keep up to date use this link:

http://hm.reddit.com/r/amiibo/

Awesome! Thanks, man! That amiibo bubble is gonna burst soon hahaha!