VF-11 Short Animation

neoexcaliber

Here's a little animation that I did using my recently completed vf-11b model. Why did I create a new thread instead of posting in the previous one? Coz I'm an attention horse. Plus I'd like to have a separate discussion on the animation alone instead of talking about the model and I plan to make more short, short sequences so I'll just dump them here. And I'm an attention horse. Spent quite a bit of time animating the individual control surfaces, although they're far from accurate coz I didn't do enough research. Comments are much appreciated! Watch it in HD too. B))

Edited by neoexcaliber

I can't say the particular "camera-work" is fantastic but the actual animation and movement looks really great and the model+texture fit pretty well with that background. I am impressed with your skills. From models to texture to animated in such a short amount of time! It's not a transforming model, but based on what I've seen here, i can't wait to see what you do with a V.2.

I watched this again and the markings on the textures may actually be a little bit too subtle.

Edited by Mommar

holy f***.

you really did it, you!

high five!

and make more videos. more dramatic camera angles. more flyby shots. more of everything! we need more!!

and add contrails. bitches love contrails.

Edited by cannon_fodder674

I can't say the particular "camera-work" is fantastic but the actual animation and movement looks really great and the model+texture fit pretty well with that background. I am impressed with your skills. From models to texture to animated in such a short amount of time! It's not a transforming model, but based on what I've seen here, i can't wait to see what you do with a V.2.

I watched this again and the markings on the textures may actually be a little bit too subtle.

You're right, the camera was animated manually and it was hard to visualise the actual movement because the background and the plane were rendered separately. I should probably look into creating a smoother handheld-like motion. The color scheme looked pretty good during the WIP, but I guess it became too low viz when used in actual animation. Maybe I should look into a new color scheme for my next animation. :D

holy f***.

you really did it, you!

high five!

and make more videos. more dramatic camera angles. more flyby shots. more of everything! we need more!!

and add contrails. bitches love contrails.

Challenge completed! :lol:

I'm kinda divided on what to do next. It would be nice to create more animation with just a vf-11, but I was thinking an actual short would be better. The only problem is I'd need to model a few more things first, like a battlepod, q-rau, a vf-1 and a transforming vf-11. My initial idea for the short was to showcase the vf-11 as the next-gen fighter, undergoing field testing in some random Zentradi skirmish. It should be the vf-4 that the vf-11 replaces but I don't really like the vf-4 design and I kinda like the look of a vf-1 cannon fodder. The drawback; it'll take a long time to complete. Realistically it'll probably take up to a year for it to even materialise coz I'll be busy again next month onwards. :mellow:

You're right, the camera was animated manually and it was hard to visualise the actual movement because the background and the plane were rendered separately. I should probably look into creating a smoother handheld-like motion. The color scheme looked pretty good during the WIP, but I guess it became too low viz when used in actual animation. Maybe I should look into a new color scheme for my next animation. :D

I think the color scheme still looks good. Just a few things like the kites and stuff need to be a shade or two darker just to show up a little bit better.

I say go nuts on the animation. I'd love to see a transforming one in a fight.

Beautiful stuff, mate!

Wow, a legend has posted in my thread. :D

Thank you for all the support. I'm currently working on another sequence, but I guess I'm kinda in a slump right now. I'm open to any suggestions/collaborations so if you have any ideas for a short animation sequence (not a short, just a sequence), please let me know. I currently have this vf-11 together with tipatat's vf1 but none of them are setup for animation. Maybe I'll post a few renders of Tipatat's model that I textured a while back sometime later.

You're probably really limited by what stock footage you can use to go along with animations too. I was thinking a demonstration of the vectoring thrust on the VF-11 with a crazy flipping manuver, kind of like in one of the dogfights in Macross 0. But that may be pretty tricky.

You're probably really limited by what stock footage you can use to go along with animations too. I was thinking a demonstration of the vectoring thrust on the VF-11 with a crazy flipping manuver, kind of like in one of the dogfights in Macross 0. But that may be pretty tricky.

It's very tricky.

I don't really use stock footage so I guess I can come up with some backgrounds as long as they're not too hard to do. I kinda like the dogfight sequence but the VF-1 I got for Tipatat doesn't have panel lines etc so it would look odd next to the vf-11 in terms of detail. Tipatat's model is awesome, but detailing it is gonna take time and I'm currently experimenting with a 3d/cell combination style like Macross Zero. Till then I'm kinda stuck with the VF-11 so any short sequence between 10-30 seconds long would be perfect as long as they don't involve another craft/robot.

This video defines "awesome"!

You got any plan to make one for VF-0S (my favorite!!!)?

IS

Thanks! I'd love to make more planes but right now I'd like to start on a version 2 of this model and make it transformable. Currently scratching my head trying to figure out a better modeling method. :p

Here's another short flyby sequence I made while experimenting with Vue. This is supposed to be the first part of a longer sequence but my break is gonna end soon so I decided to upload it before it gets lost in my hard disk. The original plan was to rip-off the scene from Transformers Dark of the Moon where Starscream blows up the shuttle but I've yet to find a suitable Zentradi-ish shuttle/giant missile/aerial station thingy to blow up so I'd appreciate it if you guys have any suggestions. The reason I decided to copy that scene was because the vf-11 has an internal missile bay just like the f-22 and I'm currently not able to think of anything better since the plane doesn't transform, yet. So here you go guys and do leave me some comments! As usual, watch it in HD.

Looks pretty effin' sweet! The only thing I noticed that might need some attention is the running lights stop flashing for a moment before it makes its move.

I based the navigation lights based on a f/a-18 strobe light pattern video I found on youtube, which is why there's a pause in between flashes. Maybe I'll shorten it later. :D

I think the smoke trail is a little bit odd. It appear when the VF-11 ready to barrel roll and disappear before the movie done. Other than that, is good one.

Noted. I'll fix it in the longer version after I figure out a better way to make the contrails. Thanks for the heads up.