The computer and electronics super geek thread

Dante74

I just drop 274 beans on the Astro a40 "audio system" gaming headset + optical cable. I hope it lives up to the hype, lol.

nice very nice

let us know how they work out

I have a pair of sony mdr v700s.

They are pretty incredible

Lives up to the praise, blows away all conventional hard drives out of the water. Unfortunately, still not that cheap for me to justify buying one. >_>

How is the solid state drive?

Is it instantaneous or how fast is it.

This is a area that I have very little knowledge.

Lives up to the praise, blows away all conventional hard drives out of the water. Unfortunately, still not that cheap for me to justify buying one. >_>

Ain't that the truth..... Even with the rebate price of a SSD, I could get a 1TB hard drive for cheaper. :wacko:

How is the solid state drive?

Is it instantaneous or how fast is it.

This is a area that I have very little knowledge.

Google SSD vs hard drives and you'll see a pages of comparisons between the 2.

Ain't that the truth..... Even with the rebate price of a SSD, I could get a 1TB hard drive for cheaper. :wacko:

Google SSD vs hard drives and you'll see a pages of comparisons between the 2.

Nice rom is quite fast from the past.

Any Linux users here?

It's been about two years since I've really used it. I'd always preferred KDE to GNOME, and I really enjoyed Kubuntu 8.04. But Kubuntu stopped using KDE 3 when 8.10 came out, and KDE 4 seemed kinda half-done to me. I sold that Linux box, and hadn't bothered with it again until a little bit ago. I got a stand for my laptop so I could use it while playing games on my desktop, but the stand was designed for a desktop. So I pulled my HTPC out of my home theater (it's probably been more than a year since I booted it anyway), hooked it up to my monitor's VGA input (my Windows desktop is on DVI), and I installed Ubuntu 9.10. I'm rather pleased with it so far. I guess Ubuntu takes some flak with some parts of the Linux community for being too "mainstream" and not "hardcore" enough, but I think that's kind of silly. Canonical has done an excellent job organizing a dedicated community, and the result is one of the more polished distros I've used.

I just installed KDE 4 via the Terminal. Maybe it's improved as much as GNOME has...

I find GNOMES Panel/Start Menu to be quite primitive in look and feel compared to KDE.

I'm not sure if I'd say "primitive." My thoughts have usually been that GNOME is too minimalist. But like I said, Ubuntu 9.10 actually seems quite nice.

I was always a KDE on my SuSE builds.

Yeah. I installed KDE on my Ubuntu install, logged in with it, thought it looked nice, then logged out and logged back in with Gnome. It's a first, but I actually kinda like it. I think when 10.04 comes out, though, I might give Kubuntu another serious look.

As for SuSE, I had a buddy that swore by it for years. He used to use it on his main computer, completely skipping Windows XP and almost skipping Vista. After version 10.0, though, it seemed liked they switched from being primarily KDE to primarily GNOME. Since I was primarily a Windows guy, I only dabbled with Linux a little and I didn't really find a distro I really liked until Kubuntu 8.04.

I still enjoy my Windows, but always had an inclination to Unix and Linux, too. It's actually been a couple years since I did a new SuSE build. I was going to do an XGL setup but never got around to it. Now I'm pondering a dual boot on my new PC hardware with AIGLX.

I still enjoy my Windows, but always had an inclination to Unix and Linux, too. It's actually been a couple years since I did a new SuSE build. I was going to do an XGL setup but never got around to it. Now I'm pondering a dual boot on my new PC hardware with AIGLX.

If you've been out of the Linux loop for awhile, I'd definitely recommend taking a look at some of the newer distros out there. Coming from a Windows perspective, I recall that as recently as 2006 a lot of distros seemed interesting but had issues that would ultimately frustrate me. Modern distros are getting really good though. I remember it used to be a pain to try to get Linux to play mp3 files, but for the last two years I know the Ubuntu family has been able to install mp3 playback by grabbing a file from the package manager. With the most recent version, all the libraries have been bundled into a package you can grab from the "Add/Remove Software" applet.

Eh? I have no problem networking my Win 7 or Win XP with my Macbook Pro. What problems are you having? I actually haven't tried to make the Win 7 talk with the XP machines yet, though.

My Win 7 and XP machines all communicate fine. TVersity and other media streming services work without a hitch over my home network. And my modded Xbox has no issues talking to my Windows PC. The only time I've had problems was when I used Ubuntu; networking was a bitch and I never really did get it to work right. What's issues were you having anyway?

Eh? I have no problem networking my Win 7 or Win XP with my Macbook Pro. What problems are you having? I actually haven't tried to make the Win 7 talk with the XP machines yet, though.

My Win 7 and XP machines all communicate fine. TVersity and other media streming services work without a hitch over my home network. And my modded Xbox has no issues talking to my Windows PC. The only time I've had problems was when I used Ubuntu; networking was a bitch and I never really did get it to work right. What's issues were you having anyway?

Particularly, file-sharing between XP-32 bit and 7-64 bit.

Same workgroup, file-sharing & printer-sharing enabled, all computers can ping each other fine, firewalls off.

All XP computers can access the printer connected to the Windows 7 computer just fine.

Windows 7 can access the XP shared folders just fine.

XP can access each other fine.

XP "doesn't have permission" to access the Windows 7 shared folders.

I already managed to get around the problem with a help of a friend. He gave me a solution but it didn't work right off the bat, however I created a separate account on the win 7 computer and now I'm able to access the shared folders, although I have to log in every time I want to access the folders...

Haven't delved too much into Windows 7 built-in streaming feature, but it works... Haven't figured out the library thing though.

Edited by shiroikaze

Haven't figured out the library thing though.

The Libraries are useful, although not earth-shatteringly so. Basically, they're virtual folders. You tell the Library which folders to display content from, and which one of those folders is the default location for saving to. For example, you might set the Videos library to display videos from the My Videos folder as well as any videos in your Downloads folder.

The most useful thing I can think of for Libraries is if you have Windows installed on a small SSD. Windows is going to assume that things like My Documents and My Music is going to be under the C:\Users\XXXX\My Documents or whatever. You can folders for them on the D drive, then set the Libraries to show content from those folders and to use those new folders as the default save locations.

The Libraries are useful, although not earth-shatteringly so. Basically, they're virtual folders. You tell the Library which folders to display content from, and which one of those folders is the default location for saving to. For example, you might set the Videos library to display videos from the My Videos folder as well as any videos in your Downloads folder.

The most useful thing I can think of for Libraries is if you have Windows installed on a small SSD. Windows is going to assume that things like My Documents and My Music is going to be under the C:\Users\XXXX\My Documents or whatever. You can folders for them on the D drive, then set the Libraries to show content from those folders and to use those new folders as the default save locations.

Well, I figured that as much. It's just that I can't see these libraries from my PS3...

Well, I figured that as much. It's just that I can't see these libraries from my PS3...

The PS3/Win7 communication just seems flaky sometimes. I mean, I have a couple of folders set up for sharing on my Windows 7 computer. Sometimes the PS3 sees it, sometimes it doesn't.

I've got a windows 7 64 bit question: Is there any way to get the older games to run on it? I'm trying to get system shock 2 to work, and it's not being very nice... I've got Home premium of Windows 7.

I'm tempted to partition my main hard drive and set the computer up for a dual boot... But I'd rather not.

I've got a windows 7 64 bit question: Is there any way to get the older games to run on it? I'm trying to get system shock 2 to work, and it's not being very nice... I've got Home premium of Windows 7.

I'm tempted to partition my main hard drive and set the computer up for a dual boot... But I'd rather not.

None of the compatibility modes work? I'd suggest downloading XP Mode but you have the Home version.

Yah, I didn't get professional because, for the extra Windows XP mode, it was an extra $30. I figured that if worse came to worse, I'd setup the computer for a dual boot, and switch back to XP if I needed to.

Yah, I didn't get professional because, for the extra Windows XP mode, it was an extra $30. I figured that if worse came to worse, I'd setup the computer for a dual boot, and switch back to XP if I needed to.

Well, the compatibility modes (including XP Mode) are the only things I can think of to help with your problem...aside from dual booting like you've suggested. Good luck.

Oh that's great, I get file-sharing working but my print-sharing has gone kaput. :( I think I'll start over...

Also, this has been happening for a while, but that same Win7 PC has a really odd behavior and I have yet to pinpoint what's the exact problem, but I think the router may be at fault.

If I startup the computer, it has a chance of not being able to connect to the internet--Unless I restart it. The computer is wired to the router, no conflicting IPs, can still see and access the other computers and the router on the network despite no net connectivity... =\

Oh that's great, I get file-sharing working but my print-sharing has gone kaput. :( I think I'll start over...

Also, this has been happening for a while, but that same Win7 PC has a really odd behavior and I have yet to pinpoint what's the exact problem, but I think the router may be at fault.

If I startup the computer, it has a chance of not being able to connect to the internet--Unless I restart it. The computer is wired to the router, no conflicting IPs, can still see and access the other computers and the router on the network despite no net connectivity... =\

which router do you have?

A little ashamed to admit it, but I got a pirated version of System shock 2 off the web, and aside from no movies, it plays just fine. Odd. Looks like the installer might be the culprit.

I only get ashamed when I watch movies that are not out yet; I usually try to wait a few months.