PS2 90001 and Super Dimension Fortress Macross game compatible?

Swooshiex

Hi everyone,

I have a PS2 90001 USA model. Is the Super Dimension Fortress Macross game compatible with it?

If not, which PS2 version do I need?

Thank you so much!

The game will not run on a US PS2 unless it has been modchipped to play games from multiple regions. Alternatively, it will run on any Japanese model PS2.

I have have a modded PS2 just to play this game, but I recently tried using a ps2 emulator on my PC and it actually worked quite well. It even upscales the graphics into HD. Just do a search for PS2X.

Edited by pavesk8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can tell you that swap magic, in my experience, doesn't work for all games so I don't recommend it. For example the ACE games. I just bought a Japanese console and this game works fine.

Not sure you need a translation guide since the menus are all in English unless you want a dialog translation.

• 3 weeks later...

I went with swap magic. It was spendy but it was so easy to install and worth it. I'd rather use that than buggy emulators any given day.

Just out of curiosity, what bugs are you referring to? I just got done playing both Battlecry and SDF Macross on PCSX2 smooth as glass, and with higher res and anti aliasing...

Just out of curiosity, what bugs are you referring to? I just got done playing both Battlecry and SDF Macross on PCSX2 smooth as glass, and with higher res and anti aliasing...

what's PCSX2? Did you get to play SDF Macross in english using it?

argh i just received my japanese PS2 and SDF Macross game.

PCSX2 is a Playstation 2 emulator... It's come a long way, plays most stuff pretty well or perfectly now (I've played ACE3, SDF Macross, Battlecry, FF12, Aggressive Inline, etc. with no issues), so I think it's a viable option. As far as "argh", if you are going to enjoy using it I don't think there is anything to regret either, emulators are great but obviously there's no beating original hardware.

As to playing SDF Macross in English, the console isn't going to effect the game's language, I'm pretty sure that game is only in Japanese... ;)

Congrats on getting the game and supporting Macross!

Also, yeah, as has already been said, there will never be an Engliah language option in a Macross game, ever.

Congrats on getting the game and supporting Macross!

Also, yeah, as has already been said, there will never be an Engliah language option in a Macross game, ever.

thank you!

what is the best translation guide for this game that is available free online?

i just started on this game and it definitely looks a lot cooler than Battlecry. I'm hoping to complete this game before I move on to Macross 30 next.

Well the game is fairly straight forward (follows either tv or movie storyline) so no-one seems to have done a walkthrough as far as I know.

Some secrets and unlocks can be found here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/917918-chou-jikuu-yousai-macross/faqs/26699

http://www.cheatmasters.com/cheats/22947/Choujikuu_Yousai_Macross_cheats.html

Also, the old gamefaqs message board threads are worth looking through if you somehow get stuck.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/917918-chou-jikuu-yousai-macross

Its a great game (I know a few people who were involved in it) so happy gaming!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Just discovered this game existed.  It is the Macross game that I always wanted, but didn't think existed.

Yeah, the graphics are a little dated, and the gameplay gets a tad repetitive, but if you ever wanted to feel like you were in an episode of SDF Macross (or DYRL), this game is unbeatable. Much better than the Battlecry game we got in the States.

Having all the vf-1 valks and accessories available to play around with in-game (and even the vf-4!) is a dream.

• 1 year later...

I just found out about this game by SEGA AM2.  So excited to play it soon.  SEGA AM2 has made some great games.  If this plays anything like Virtua On, I'm stoked.

Does anyone know of an English Translation for this game (or if I'll need one)?

On 1/23/2019 at 12:11 PM, spacemanspiff said:

I just found out about this game by SEGA AM2.  So excited to play it soon.  SEGA AM2 has made some great games.  If this plays anything like Virtua On, I'm stoked.

Does anyone know of an English Translation for this game (or if I'll need one)?

It doesn't really play like Virtua On.  It is more like an Ace Combat game, just with Valks.

You shouldn't need a translation, as most of the menu options are in English.  If you know the plot of the show and movie, it will be easy to follow.  And you can figure out what you need to do with only an absolutely minimal understanding of Japanese.  There are a few English walk-throughs floating around out there, if you get stuck.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!  I just found this amazing Macross / Robotech game.  I am blown away!  The controls are so well done.  Make you feel like you are actually piloting the VFs!

I found the IGN Walkthrough to be both enteritaining and very good in helping me learn all the details of the controls.  The in-game Training did a good job too.

Link to the IGN walkthrough:

https://www.ign.com/faqs/2007/super-dimensional-fortress-macross-walkthrough-496660

I highly recommend you play this game if you are a gamer and love Macross / Robotech.  The only hitch is it's for the Japanese PS2 only.  SO you need to MOD your PS2 or import a Japanese PS2 (PlayStaion 2).

Here are some very nice gameplay videos I've found on YouTube:

This one has the intro, which impressed me very much:

This one I created. This is serious ghetto gameplay, as I am holding my phone to record it while playing one-handed. I also wanted to showcase the alternate camera modes you can pick by hitting the D-Pad.

I seriously cannot get enough of this game.  It's the best Macross / Robotech game I've ever played.

My original Macross game was Robotech Battlecry for the PS2.  It was a decent game and I enjoyed it for what it was at the time.  I had no idea this Sega AM2 game came out around the same time. (2003).

I've also played the PSP games and the DYRL Hybrid pack on PS3 (which are also good, but not as good as this Sega AM2 PS2 game).  

I seriously cannot recommend enough that you check this game out.  Sega nails the controls, follows the SDFM and DYRL stories, there is high production values (from the Voice acting to the music, to the cinematics to the gameplay), good gameplay variety.  Even in 2019, this game holds-up.  

The Super Dimension Fortress Macross (2003 video game) wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Super_Dimension_Fortress_Macross_(2003_video_game)