To support Third Party or not to support.....that is the question

jvmacross

To support or not to support...that is the question...  

109 members have voted

1. 1. I will support Macross third party merchandise...

• For any release that interests me...
    • Only for releases that Arcadia, Bandai, etc...seem to have no interest in producing...
    • I will not support thirdy party Macross offerings because it is unlicensed and hurting the owners of the IP...
    • No opinion at the moment....

License issue aside, how about their build quality? Even Yamato had many quality problems with VF-0 and early VF-1 v2, but we can expect Bandai and Arcadia figures to at least fit together properly.

The only non-Makuros 3rd party toy I took a look at is the Voltron Vehicle Force, Miracle Metal Works MA-01. It was from a new company in Hong Kong and is licensed with HG. It looks great but have many problems with fitting, paint and design issues. The store linked is suppose to be selling version 3 now with improved parts.

How well are those 3rd party TFs made? Are they comparable to Takara Master Pieces?

Edited by CF18

License issue aside, how about their build quality? Even Yamato had many quality problems with VF-0 and early VF-1 v2, but we can expect Bandai and Arcadia figures to at least fit together properly.

The only non-Makuros 3rd party toy I took a look at is the Voltron Vehicle Force, Miracle Metal Works MA-01. It was from a new company in Hong Kong and is licensed with HG. It looks great but have many problems with fitting, paint and design issues. The store linked is suppose to be selling version 3 now with improved parts.

How well are those 3rd party TFs made? Are they comparable to Takara Master Pieces?

If you are having second thoughts on quality, checking out the review before buying is an option as well.

I think the SD SDF-1 is a slam dunk since Bandai is the only one that has ever considered doing anything SD and they only gave us one SD VF-25F and then abandoned that line.

I think maybe the only other company that would even consider such a release would be Hasegawa....but so far they seem to only be sticking with SD "fighters"...and more importantly, you'd have to put it together if they did release one.....

This decision to select the SD SDF-1 as an initial offering is really good marketing.....stands out and grabs your attention....really unique and completely out of left field.....I hope it's successful....

Some 3rd party toys are amazing. surpass Has/Tak in many way. There are of course those bad one like I mention before. Most are great. Look at FT-03, and some other top 3rd company. Just be ready for something coming out from Fanstyle, their toy is going to have impact on both Macross, and TF universe.

Guest davidwhangchoi

One day 3rd party will win you over, and you will realize its a huge mistake because its like crack. :hail:

not that 3p isn't appealing but you're trying to get 3p pre-orders. so your opinion i have to disregard. it may/may not have a good point but it's clearly biased. anyways, it doesn't mean the sdf-1 isn't a good thing...

honestly, there's a dealer section here. but it's tough to discuss opinions on a post seriously if there's another agenda.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

not that 3p isn't appealing but you're trying to get 3p pre-orders. so your opinion i have to disregard. it may/may not have a good point but it's clearly biased. anyways, it doesn't mean the sdf-1 isn't a good thing...

honestly, there's a dealer section here. but it's tough to discuss opinions on a post seriously if there's another agenda.

No worry, not asking u to order stuffs from me. just my 2 cents for 3rd party stuffs, as you can see i'm not asking any one to PO 3rd party goods, or praise them in any way.

Edited by evilcat005

Guest davidwhangchoi

No worry, not asking u to order stuffs from me. just my 2 cents for 3rd party stuffs, as you can see i'm not asking any one to PO 3rd party goods, or praise them in any way.

you're not?? lol i guess posting your site on the thread is not trying to solicit pre-orders??? ok, look... i think you're legit seller and got great prices... and a nice guy from what i read. i'm not against that.

but it's evident more and more i can't take your posts seriously.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

you're not?? lol i guess posting your site on the thread is not trying to solicit pre-orders??? ok, look... i think you're legit seller and got great prices... and a nice guy from what i read. i'm not against that.

but it's evident more and more i can't take your posts seriously.

I think you got the SDF1 thread, and this thread mixed up. SDF1 thread i agree with you, thats providing info, and to get some PO. For this thread i have not post anythings related to getting PO for my site. I think every one is entitle to their own opinion, that include webstore, as we are collector too. Keep in mind both threads are different subject.

Edited by evilcat005

I support 3rd parties when the official channels dont provide what i want, examples: Good transformers combiners, accessories for saint seiya figures that bandai forgets, that new voltron coming out and vehicle voltron, etc... The chibi sdf-1 does nothing for me, but if it did, i would gladly buy it. As long as its good quality and i like it, i could care less who makes it.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I think you got the SDF1 thread, and this thread mixed up. SDF1 thread i agree with you, thats providing info, and to get some PO. For this thread i have not post anythings related to getting PO for my site. I think every one is entitle to their own opinion, that include webstore, as we are collector too. Keep in mind both thread are different subject.

no they're not a different subjects but related. how many posts do you have? and in which threads? i'm mean it's sorta silly not to see the obvious.

i only see you posting in two threads so far. right off the bat you came in. are you selling stuff? the 3p thread is related... then.

people had interest in the sdf-1 sd before you posted. and i'm sure people are grateful bc MW members were looking for a place to pre-order it so it's great you're offering it as an option. but i think you're trying too hard to get pre-orders. people can see it right through it.

anyways please stop trying to save face it's just digging a grave.

but it's pretty clear that you're trying to get orders. you're trying to make money.

this thread camo out of sdf-1 3p being posted up. you can have your opinion but like i said it's a conflict of interest.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

no they're not a different subjects but related. how many posts do you have? and in which threads? i'm mean it's sorta silly not to see the obvious.

i only see you posting in two threads so far. right off the bat you came in. are you selling stuff? the 3p thread is related... then.

people had interest in the sdf-1 sd before you posted. and i'm sure people are grateful bc MW members were looking for a place to pre-order it so it's great you're offering it as an option. but i think you're trying too hard to get pre-orders. people can see it right through it.

anyways please stop trying to save face it's just digging a grave.

but it's pretty clear that you're trying to get orders. you're trying to make money.

this thread camo out of sdf-1 3p being posted up. you can have your opinion but like i said it's a conflict of interest.

I give up, you win. I'm not going to turn this thread in to another Kronos thread. This thing can be endless.

I will still continue providing information on SDF thread, and post my opinion on 3rd party on this thread.

Edited by evilcat005

Guest davidwhangchoi

I give up, you win. I'm not going to turn this thread in to another Kronos thread. This thing can be endless

dont worry you're free to post whatever. but like i said, it's silly to vote or post on whether you are for or against 3rd party bc you're selling 3p macross stuff :rolleyes: that's not a bad thing. but it's hard to take seriously on a poll bc you have a vested interest in 3p stuff. so it's obvious what side you're going to take.

best of luck to you.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

The 3rd party industry is quite broad. Being 3rd party doesn't make something automatically unlicensed. Hot Toys' upcoming Optimus Prime figures are 3rd party but licensed and legal.

So with that in mind, I will specifically discuss unlicensed work for this post.

First of all, I see it as a very straight forward matter. When products are not licensed and blatantly utilize IP that doesn't belong to the producer, that's not legal. However, I don't see it as a moral issue the way that many do. It's strictly a legal matter to me.

I don't condone or endorse unlicensed products. I choose to buy them when I see them being worth the purchase price.

I think that many new generation unlicensed products are a mixed bag as far as the producer's motivations. Partly there is an element of fandom but it's also a business endeavor. These unlicensed products are made with the intent of turning a profit. Unlicensed product makers aren't saviors of fandom or benevolent toy makers who "give" to the fandom. There is a price for these toys. It's a business transaction.

As far as brand loyalty, that's a personal choice and I think it's misguided in many ways. Brand loyalty comes from a perception of these companies as some sort of feeling human entity. They are not. They are businesses composed of many individuals who work together as a matter of obligation to their employment requirements.

As a fan of brands like Macross, I don't want to see the brand harmed. If unlicensed products are of the variety of kinds of products that the license holders have little to no interest in producing, then I don't see harm being done by the unlicensed product. If unlicensed product makers pursue the making of products that compete directly with products being made by the license holders, that's when I choose not to purchase unlicensed products.

There is so much more that can be said on this topic but I'll leave it that for now. I'm on my lunch break and it's almost time to get back to work!

I don't condone or endorse unlicensed products. I choose to buy them when I see them being worth the purchase price.

Brand loyalty comes from a perception of these companies as some sort of feeling human entity. They are not. They are businesses composed of many individuals who work together as a matter of obligation to their employment requirements.

As a fan of brands like Macross, I don't want to see the brand harmed. If unlicensed products are of the variety of kinds of products that the license holders have little to no interest in producing, then I don't see harm being done by the unlicensed product. If unlicensed product makers pursue the making of products that compete directly with products being made by the license holders, that's when I choose not to purchase unlicensed products.

There is so much more that can be said on this topic but I'll leave it that for now. I'm on my lunch break and it's almost time to get back to work!

Isn't any purchase a de facto endorsement? Without the purchase....there is no incentive for the producer to make more/meet perceived demand from the sale....

I think Yamato failed because it was too much of a "fan" and did not adopt more business-like practices that would have helped them stay profitable...(more made-to-order, fewer releases, more releases based on customer feedback/wants, etc)

Yes, I can support a 1/60 Regult...but I believe a 3P reboot of a VF-1, YF-21 or VF-19 would be harmful....

Enjoy your lunch! :lol:

Ok. So how are people who make add-ons for existing 1st and 2nd P products considered? Are they 3rd P?

unless they are T-REX...probably.....so I guess the SD SDF-1 is not "the first".....but they are certainly going about it in a much larger scale...more business...less labor of love

Honestly I think we're getting excited over one product. Who even knows if a Macross "3rd party" venture is viable. This could be the most beautiful, most well built product but what if the smaller Macross market can't support it?

If it does succeed, then I'd like to see where it goes. Frankly I'm green with envy with all the crap TF fans are getting. If these companies that are making toys for us now don't want to touch enemy mechs, then maybe a 3rd party company will.

I'm ready for a not-Nousjaduel-Ger toy... :lol:

I say...

psh5.gif

Any forcasts for rain from you? :rolleyes:

Honestly I think we're getting excited over one product. Who even knows if a Macross "3rd party" venture is viable. This could be the most beautiful, most well built product but what if the smaller Macross market can't support it?

If it does succeed, then I'd like to see where it goes. Frankly I'm green with envy with all the crap TF fans are getting. If these companies that are making toys for us now don't want to touch enemy mechs, then maybe a 3rd party company will.

I'm ready for a not-Nousjaduel-Ger toy... :lol:

it's exciting because it has not been attempted at this scale before...and because of the possibilities it brings....but I still want my 1/3000 P & D.....

Guest davidwhangchoi

i see about 30-50 of these being sold on MW... and at most a 100 not sure if that's considered successful.

everyone here who pre-ordered one plus those in china,jyp and u.k south america. maybe 300 to be optimistic. these guys might figure out they need to charge more for the next go around. as lowering cheap price doesn't = more audience.

if the audience is a fixed sized (niche fan base) they need to charge more to make some kind of profit.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I voted that I'm down for anything the legit rights-holders wouldn't touch by I can also see where that's playing in a gray area sandbox with very little real definition. Yamato proved they were pretty much willing to do anything so it's tough to say "they'd never do that, I'll support 3P!"

I completely agree that it's hard to say what will, or what won't, ever be released. I think if an unlicensed third-party agreed to avoid anything that was made in the past 5 years, that that would be one small step in the right direction.

I think the SD SDF-1 is a slam dunk since Bandai is the only one that has ever considered doing anything SD

Actually, according to one of the pictures on your website, it looks like Calibre Toys may be releasing a super deformed SDF-1 figurine as part of its Robotech Anniversary line (the SDF-1 is just a white silhouette on the placard). It's also supposed to be released in October 2014, the same month that Master Made's super deformed SDF-1 is scheduled to be released. While Master Made's SD SDF-1 is in a completely separate class than Calibre Toys' offering, there's no doubt that MM's product will diminish CT's impact. Additionally, CT will be releasing SD VF-1's separately, which MM is including with their SD SDF-1.

While I never had any intention of picking up Calibre Toys' products, it still sucks for them that their timing coincides with Master Made's superior toys. Not to mention that Calibre Toys was founded by one of own members, Noel.

I will support a 3rd party Battle 7 or Frontier or even Galaxy as long as it's not crazy priced. As for other 3rd Party stuff others here have done a fantastic job such EXO, DarrinG, Kurisama, JasonC and others who have given cool supplements to our collection

I will support a 3rd party Battle 7 or Frontier or even Galaxy as long as it's not crazy priced. As for other 3rd Party stuff others here have done a fantastic job such EXO, DarrinG, Kurisama, JasonC and others who have given cool supplements to our collection

I definitely agree. In fact part of how I even found MW was after buying some Legioss stuff from EXO on eBay. I think it was the saddle bags for the bikes. Thanks EXO, by the way!

I definitely agree. In fact part of how I even found MW was after buying some Legioss stuff from EXO on eBay. I think it was the saddle bags for the bikes. Thanks EXO, by the way!

You're welcome! Though it wasn't my auction... I only sold the saddlebags in the forums... glad you found it and MW though.

Ok. So how are people who make add-ons for existing 1st and 2nd P products considered? Are they 3rd P?

For Transformers etc, that's all there was for a while, and how most of the now-established 3P companies started. New guns, new head-sculpts, replacements for commonly-broken parts, etc. Whole figures came later.

For Transformers etc, that's all there was for a while, and how most of the now-established 3P companies started. New guns, new head-sculpts, replacements for commonly-broken parts, etc. Whole figures came later.

Interesting. I was not aware of that. I thought it was cool to see so many companies doing stuff like that. I don't follow TF that much (even though I was a fan of G1 and a little after), but I did think the add-on stuff was neat. I guess that is about as definitive an answer as I could imagine getting.

Edited by NightCastle