Biggest and probably the most asked question, open or keep in box.

Novareign

I buy my figures to enjoy them and not keep hostage. I usually just keep them in one mode. My wife harps that I should not open them. I told her if I died tomorrow I would never know the feeling of transforming my Macross and Transformers at least once and to be honest whomever got them after me would most likely open them up anyway lol. I don't want to buy 2 of each either.

For collectors;

#thestruggle

If or when possible I try and get at least (2) copies. That way I satisfy my want to have a MISB/MIB copy and one to open and entertain my inner 10 year old with. And IF I only end up with (1) of something I strongly suspect will be very rare I keep it imprisoned (my first VF-4G comes to mind along with my VF-X).

It's a philosophy that's served me well over the years.

-b.

Personal preference. Can't answer this for you. If you want to have some value, buy multiples, open one, box the rest. If you're only in it for one. IMO, just open it up. You buy to enjoy these things, not to have it locked up in a box where you'll only show the box or have it stored in a closet unseen. (this is my take on it).

What I buy, I only buy one, I open, panel line, sticker, display. I don't care about the asset value. No funds to buy multiples + these are toys to be enjoyed with.

I open everything except most carded figures. Anything with a flap and tape, I carefully open and enjoy (with tons of care). Gotta enjoy what you got, I say. Plus it allows me to check for broken/missing pieces and factory defects cause I GOTTA KNOW! Remove all tape and adhesives because that stuff ages really badly and will ruin your box anyway.

Edited by xrentonx

Personally, as an engineer, I want the things that I make to be useful and used. I find it insulting when I make something and it gets put on a shelf and forgotten. In this instance, many engineers took their time to design something to be utilized. If you leave it in a box, you're not utilizing it. It's just a waste of the engineers time. I buy things to use it, so I open them, so they get used. I appreciate the effort others have put into these things.

Personally, as an engineer, I want the things that I make to be useful and used. I find it insulting when I make something and it gets put on a shelf and forgotten. In this instance, many engineers took their time to design something to be utilized. If you leave it in a box, you're not utilizing it. It's just a waste of the engineers time. I buy things to use it, so I open them, so they get used. I appreciate the effort others have put into these things.

Interesting perspective, and I think I'd share a bit of that if I were an Engineer or Artist of some sort. It's bringing something to life or into the world and it would be a nice feeling if those you want to share it with appreciate the work put into it. I absolutely get it. :)

If anyone from Yamato, Arcadia, Bandai, Takara, Hasbro, Aoshima or any of the other countless toy companies I've purchased from feels slighted by me not opening a toy I bought, just remember this;

I. Bought. It.

Meaning your hard work was very much appreciated, via a monetary contribution which is at the end of the day the point (relevant only to the purchase of manufactured goods). :D

At the end of the day everyone is correct in that it's all personal preference.

-b.

Limited items, box it. Normal items, enjoy it. As you have no idea what the companies will do in regards to reissues, the value is not as certain as limited items. VF-25F went up in price, 2nd reissue, price went down a bit but still above retail, and now 3rd reissue, prices are at retail or lower.

never open them

Surrounded by MIB Yamato 30th Anniversary Roy Focker VF-1S's.

:lol: !!!!

everything get's taken out of it's box and played with, as it should. The more important question is what to do with the box once you've taken the toy out?

Easy! Use it to construct your fort made of boxes. Everyone knows that.

-b.

Exactly my thoughts as well.

I buy a lot of multiples, and I open everything, and I kill the "value" by customizing and panel-lining them.

I could care less about the market value, what matters is their value to me.

but to each his own. There's something cool about having something from 10,20 or 30 years ago and not once touched by a human post packaging.

corrected B))

Yessir!

Didn't realize they were taped.

I buy a lot of multiples, and I open everything, and I kill the "value" by customizing and panel-lining them.

I could care less about the market value, what matters is their value to me.

but to each his own. There's something cool about having something from 10,20 or 30 years ago and not once touched by a human post packaging.

This (in bold).

I don't keep sealed copies as investments, although I don't thumb my nose if something I own appreciates in value, especially if I can turn that into more "somethings" I can own by selling and then buying more stuff.

And to me there is something inherently cool about having something that hasn't been fiddled with.

What's funny is I'm quite sure that I have more Macross on display (35 Valks/ 11 various armor parts to be exact) than I have stuck in a box, but I feel like I'm trying to champion the keep it in a box cause.

-b.

I will probably only ever buy one figure unless it's something that my inner child needs two of. So far that hasn't happened unfortunately but I like to take them out of there boxes. I like to display my stuff based on season and not all at once because I will feel it's too cluttered.

My MG Nu Gundam Ver KA only gets displayed around Christmas due to it's light up green eyes.

To add to this, if there was a way to remove carded figures without ruining the card (sometimes they have nice art on them), I would open them. I have some of those VF-1 figures Yamato put out awhile back mint on card. It pains me to not be able to open them :(

Boxes are so much more collector friendly B))

Edited by xrentonx

To add to this, if there was a way to remove carded figures without ruining the card (sometimes they have nice art on them), I would open them. I have some of those VF-1 figures Yamato put out awhile back mint on card. It pains me to not be able to open them :(

Boxes are so much more collector friendly B))

You could just clean cut open the plastic around the figure with x-acto knife instead of ripping the plastic from the card/board leaving you with a messed-up card. ;)

To add on my reply earlier. Macross toys from Yamato/Arcadia and Bandai (basically anything from Japan ;) ) has more value than their Toynami counterparts opened and unopened. Value might go down if you open it but you can still sell it for a good price. Take the 1/55 Valkyries from the 80's for example. You can still sell them to collectors even if it's opened and loose. ^_^

At the end of the day, always appreciate the expensive and cheap things you buy with your hard-earned money. :rolleyes:

I've always wondered how big the overlap is of fans who complain and complain and complain about some aspect of engineering on these toys, or some aesthetic thing that they take issue with as we talk endlessly on speculation threads before release, and fans who when they get their toys, just leave them in the box, or transform them *once*, or never at all.

I would be very disappointed if I found that a sizeable proportion of the complainers just leave their stuff in a box.

I've tried that in the past but the plastic always comes off looking like I hacked it to bits...so I ended up throwing the card away. Goddamn my OCD! :lol:

Edited by xrentonx

For me, nothing stays unopened in my hands hahaha. Its a problem! Only one managed to escape, which was MP-13 that I decided to sell immediately. it was unbearable! For highly sought after toys like macross, I keep the boxes in case I need money. But I always feel sad selling my stuff :(

I've always wondered how big the overlap is of fans who complain and complain and complain about some aspect of engineering on these toys, or some aesthetic thing that they take issue with as we talk endlessly on speculation threads before release, and fans who when they get their toys, just leave them in the box, or transform them *once*, or never at all.

I would be very disappointed if I found that a sizeable proportion of the complainers just leave their stuff in a box.

True. Because people are so hard to please. Especially when they pay lots of money just to keep their hobby. That's why I always open and sniff the smell of new toys. :lol: And I transformed every Valks I have back and forth for multiple times now. So I guess there's no value in them anymore. ^_^

I've tried that in the past but the plastic always comes off looking like I hacked it to bits...so I ended up throwing the card away. Goddamn my OCD! :lol:

There you go. Baby steps out of your OCD Syndrome. ;) Don't worry I understand, I'm kinda OCD too when it comes to toys. ^_^ But for me it's better that I'm the one who rips it than somebody else. I will not forgive myself if that happens. Before I always keep every card and boxes of my toys. But when that piled up and I need more space, I just shook my head and throw it all away. Now all my toys are safe in their comfy Ziploc bags and placed it properly inside plastic box containers. :rolleyes:

For me, nothing stays unopened in my hands hahaha. Its a problem! Only one managed to escape, which was MP-13 that I decided to sell immediately. it was unbearable! For highly sought after toys like macross, I keep the boxes in case I need money. But I always feel sad selling my stuff :(

Same thing. I kept the Valk boxes just in case we move. For selling... not sure yet. Hehehe. :lol:

Guest davidwhangchoi

i'm watching this thread. anyone posts in the sale section and describes never touched... i'm cross-referencing this thread. had a guy here sell me a vf-4g, said never transformed. later i look back at some old thread and the guy is sharing he transformed both of the ones he had. never again... (it was dead mint though :rolleyes:)

I still think anyone who doesn't transform variable robots is just shy of insanity.

Why not just collect statues? Or model kits that never need to be opened.

Just don't understand the point.

Kicker is the only one with an excuse, because Museums need back ups!

i'm watching this thread. anyone posts in the sale section and describes never touched... i'm cross-referencing this thread. had a guy here sell me a vf-4g, said never transformed. later i look back at some old thread and the guy is sharing he transformed both of the ones he had. never again... (it was dead mint though :rolleyes:)

Say David, I'm pretty sure I've seen you post a couple of photos of valks out of their boxes -- the one with mic stand immediately comes to mind.

Oooh, I'm calling you out.... :)

I still think anyone who doesn't transform variable robots is just shy of insanity.

I can't agree more!

Save some money and just download the marketing pictures they take! If you don't open the box, how do you know some guy who's really good at removing tape hasn't filled the box with some rocks and taped it up all nice and professional-like then kept the Valk for himself :p

Edited by xrentonx

Guest davidwhangchoi

crosses off name on safelist. jk, mostly, i agree with you.

except the arcaida yf-19 i will never transform it or touch it ankles.

Say David, I'm pretty sure I've seen you post a couple of photos of valks out of their boxes -- the one with mic stand immediately comes to mind.

Oooh, I'm calling you out.... :)

i have plenty of photos of loose valks.

the same valks are still out in the same place on those photos.

vf-1j mass, (which i have 3x two sealed away) vf-1a mass box right under it, and a vf-1s low viz in gerwalk on top of my ottoman (i have 3x 2 sealed away). (been there since 6 months) i swoosh it everyday.

photo1_zpsa7c80436.jpgphoto_zpsa9b06696.jpgphoto51_zps0eefba9c.jpg

now you know my layout. :)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I like being that guy who buys a really old toy still on card and rips open the packaging.

The 5-year old inside me giggles upon reading this. Doesn't sound right, but it's true. Hahaha. :lol:

Was he on the blacklist now? Is he someone to watch out for? :ph34r:

The only reason I can think of this is maybe members doesn't know how to customize and paint model kits esp when they want all the modes to display. And if they really want all the modes and ask a model kit builder expert to customize/paint they might pay the same amount... or something. So better get the transformable ones, I presume(?). :rolleyes:

crosses off name on safelist. jk, mostly, i agree with you.

except the arcaida yf-19 i will never transform it or touch it ankles.

i have plenty of photos of loose valks.

the same valks are still out in the same place on those photos.

vf-1j mass, (which i have 3x two sealed away) vf-1a mass box right under it, and a vf-1s low viz in gerwalk on top of my ottoman (i have 3x 2 sealed away). (been there since 6 months) i swoosh it everyday.

Curious. When is the best time for you to touch the Arcadia YF-19? It looks like you've found your own Kryptonite there, David. ^_^

Edited by no3ljm

Guest davidwhangchoi

Curious. When is the best time for you to touch the Arcadia YF-19? It looks like you've found your own Kryptonite there, David. ^_^

yeah, lol i had a case of arcadia 19's but i sold them all and just kept one which you see on the pic. those ankles have never been moved or pulled out. nor has it ever seen anything moved. except the head was crooked so i moved it in place.

yeah, lol i had a case of arcadia 19's but i sold them all and just kept one which you see on the pic. those ankles have never been moved or pulled out. nor has it ever seen anything moved. except the head was crooked so i moved it in place.

Weird. Looks like everyone has that crooked YF-19 head. :wacko: How did you fix yours btw?

Guest davidwhangchoi

Weird. Looks like everyone has that crooked YF-19 head. :wacko: How did you fix yours btw?

i didn't have the issues that a few you guys had. i think mod david shaved the glue off and that seemed to solve his corrked head. mine was just placed wrong out of the box so i moved it in place and it fit between the doors (head flaps)