Joined the 1/48 club

mechaninac

Hi fellow Valkaholics! I’ve been visiting this site for some time now but haven’t posted very often. After reading people’s gushing reviews and some complaints about Yamato’s line of 1/48 VF-1s I finally decided to bite the bullet and get one myself. Up until now I’ve been collecting the 1/60s and M+ line (except the fast packs and the YF-19).

Yesterday I joined the 1/48 fraternity; my brand new VF-1A Low Vis arrived at my door…BIG BOX! First impressions upon opening the box can best be described by South Park’s Mr. Garrison’s eloquent remark: HOLY POOP ON A STICK! :blink:

I don’t know exactly what I was expecting even after all the “research” I did, but I was struck by how big the toy actually is…It’s huge compared to the 1/60s, absolutely beautiful, and, as far as the example I got, completely flawless. :)

My only nitpicks are the rear-most landing bay doors on the legs make a scary, loud “clack” sound especially when closing, making you fear they’ll break at any moment; second, the aesthetics of the canopy are overly bulbous IMO (the 1/60s are a bit more pleasing to the eye). Other than that…just WOW!

The problem is that now I’m hooked. Even though I got this one at a great price on eBay ($120.00 USD delivered) I now want more 1/48 goodness…Yamato’s going to drive me into the poor house :o . I can’t wait for the VF-1J to come out…A MUST GET! Also, now more then ever, I want Yamato to release their upcoming line of Macross Zero Valkyries in 1/48 scale (forget 1/60 and 1/72; 1/48 is the way to go!), and bring on the M+ stuff in 1/48 too.

The next few years are going to be scary expensive and satisfyingly fun.

Serge

Don't worry, soon you'll get soo hooked you'll get a second job, won't remember what life really is like so you can enjoy having more 1/48's :unsure: ..... What is normal life like anyway? :p

Welcome to the club B)

Hi fellow Valkaholics! I’ve been visiting this site for some time now but haven’t posted very often.  After reading people’s gushing reviews and some complaints about Yamato’s line of 1/48 VF-1s I finally decided to bite the bullet and get one myself.  Up until now I’ve been collecting the 1/60s and M+ line (except the fast packs and the YF-19).

Yesterday I joined the 1/48 fraternity; my brand new VF-1A Low Vis arrived at my door…BIG BOX! First impressions upon opening the box can best be described by South Park’s Mr. Garrison’s eloquent remark: HOLY POOP ON A STICK!  :blink:

I don’t know exactly what I was expecting even after all the “research” I did, but I was struck by how big the toy actually is…It’s huge compared to the 1/60s, absolutely beautiful, and, as far as the example I got, completely flawless. :)

My only nitpicks are the rear-most landing bay doors on the legs make a scary, loud “clack” sound especially when closing, making you fear they’ll break at any moment; second, the aesthetics of the canopy are overly bulbous IMO (the 1/60s are a bit more pleasing to the eye).  Other than that…just WOW!

The problem is that now I’m hooked. Even though I got this one at a great price on eBay ($120.00 USD delivered) I now want more 1/48 goodness…Yamato’s going to drive me into the poor house  :o .  I can’t wait for the VF-1J to come out…A MUST GET!  Also, now more then ever, I want Yamato to release their upcoming line of Macross Zero Valkyries in 1/48 scale (forget 1/60 and 1/72; 1/48 is the way to go!), and bring on the M+ stuff in 1/48 too.

The next few years are going to be scary expensive and satisfyingly fun.

Serge

Welcome to the club. I too have gotten my first 1/48 yammie, the vf-1s. My first impression of it was WOW :o . If you haven't transformed it yet, you may want to check this out to prevent breakage.

TIPS

Anyway, I've already transformed it from jet, to gerwalk, to battroid. I'll leave it that way. It'll look solid when I outfit him with the FP. BTW I want to thank everyone that provided me the advice and tips from the above link.

1/48 all the way baby :lol: ! I'm going to be broke :( .

yeah, welcome to the club!! It took me a long @$$ time to save up money for this sucka. I finally bought the vf-1s and was totally satisfied. I couldn't ask for anything more, except for the fastpacks to come out already!! :p Now I'ma save up for the Max and for the VF-1s Hikaru and possibly for the hikaru vf-1j. Oh man that's whole lotta money! :p:D:lol:

Welcome to the club. I too have gotten my first 1/48 yammie, the vf-1s. My first impression of it was WOW :o . If you haven't transformed it yet, you may want to check this out to prevent breakage.

TIPS

Anyway, I've already transformed it from jet, to gerwalk, to battroid. I'll leave it that way. It'll look solid when I outfit him with the FP. BTW I want to thank everyone that provided me the advice and tips from the above link.

1/48 all the way baby :lol: ! I'm going to be broke :( .

Thank for the link. The advices will come in handy once I decide to transform the thing. :) Right now I'm just sort of awed by the way it looks in fignter mode.

I've read elsewhere that the FV-1J's release is slated for November, Is this confirmed? Anyone with Yamato connections (cough...Graham...cough) please tell those guys to do pannel lining vis a vis Low Vis on the FV-1J Hikaru...now that would be uber sweet. ;)

:D For a split second I thought you were fellow MW'er Mechamaniac.

Does your VF-1S have any of the QC issues that've plagued mine (at a lot of other ones)? The crooked skull emblem on the tail, the zit, noticable seam on the face, and loose cockpit? :D

As Unicron once said, "Proceed on your way to oblivion."

Welcome to the club....:) Like it was said, this is just the beginning. Ive already cleared my reol from all things, and made it a place to display my 1/48s Alrady made place for the upcomming Macross Sero and Macross Plus 1/48s. And yeah....i already shopw signs of Valkaholism. Like, the closet that is filled with a whole nother set of MIB 1/48s. Ones hardearned money going to 1/48s :p

Kevin from www.valkyrie-exchange.com was right when i asked him if i was addicted to the 1/48s for buying two of each valk "yeah...welcome to your addiction"

-Jin

Does your VF-1S have any of the QC issues that've plagued mine (at a lot of other ones)? The crooked skull emblem on the tail, the zit, noticable seam on the face, and loose cockpit?  :D

I got the Low Vis Valkyrie, not the 1S; and as far as I can tell, the skull emblems are dead straight on the stabilizers, no zits on the 1A head, and the forward fuselage seam is near unnoticeable with the weels down, but the flying kite emblem on the wing looks a bit shitty compared with the 1/60s...nothing is ever perfect. :rolleyes:

Kevin from www.valkyrie-exchange.com was right when i asked him if i was addicted to the 1/48s for buying two of each valk "yeah...welcome to your addiction"

Damn! I managed to avoid alcoholism, drug addiction, gambling addiction, laziness, etc., only to succumb to Obsessive Mecha Toys Collecting Syndrome! I guess everyone needs a vice. :lol:

Edited by mechaninac

HOLY SHNIKES!!!

i just recieved my very first 1/48 today, as well!!! my Low Vis got here today, and man this is the greatest thing i have ever recieved! this toy is awesome! i am so glad i finally worked up enough nerve to buy this baby! it was my first, but not my last! thank you Yamato! thank you Macross World for introducing me to this baby!!

i love it!

Welcome to the first valk for the rest of your life. Welcome to MW as well. You'll find your stay here quit enjoyable, and filled with fellow junkies that have lives outside of here but only for the illusion of fooling thier relatives and friends as to not alert them to thier addictions to (drugs) I mean toys. :D

the low-viz was my first 1/48 too.got mine at otakon & have been in awe ever since.i've even considered selling off all my 1/55's off for more 1/48 goodness.they really are quite stunning.the minute i handled mine for the first time,i went & pre-ordered the fast-pack kit right away.yamato rocks dude ;);)

:D

Well, averaging 100 bucks per each 1/48....I guess Yamato expect us to shell out about 500 to 1,000 bucks per person on the 1/48 lines...

Right now I have 3 1/48 (VF-1A/S/Max), now need to buy 3 fast packs, and God knows if I need to buy a (Base ARM) from Yamato to hold these huge 1/48 in suspension!

Well, what can I say? I am very happy with these Macross "golden years" of toys, reissues, models, and so on...but my wallet and wife aren't happy with it...

Paulo

Welcome to the club. I joined just recently when I got my 1S a couple of days ago, its sits on top of my spare comp case. All it means for me is that I'll be getting more of these babies as they come out and not buying as many textbooks this year. Damn, I'm gonna need to find some more space in my room.

The 1/48 is like a slice of non fattening goodness. As if it was kissed by God Herself. I, like valkyrietestpilot, bought my first 1/48, the 1S Focker at Otakon (Hell, We got ours at the same time and at the same booth!). When I got to my hotel room, I peeled it out of its box, and just doin barrel rolls, humming the Macross theme. My roomates thought I was off my rocker (They confirmed it when I told them how much it cost.) And Yes. Welcome to the cash vacuum that is 1/48 collectin. Hikaru 1S and 1J, here I come (Thank God I have a job!)!!!

Yep! I too have recently joined the club. Started with the low-ves as well (seems to be a popular way to get hooked :p

This is the ultimate VF-1. Honestly, I'm in no rush to get another, though the Kikaru 1S is tempting (1S head and it should have all the post-Max fixes). I do have a set of FAST packs preordered and I hope they look good on the low-vis despite the diferent paint scheme...