What's your most difficult model kit?

Jefuemon

I was thinking about that when I had to pass on picking up a Studio Halfeye YF-21 a few months back that I saw for around ¥8000. Awesome price, but I knew there was no way in hell I'd ever build it (I remember seeing a scan of the instruction sheet).

So, what's the most difficult model kit you've ever actually bought? Mine was an Evangelion Technique Impossible from Kotobukiya. Picked it up on Yahoo Japan auction, soon as I got it and opened the box, I put it up on eBay. :blink:

That was about 10 years ago, so I might be able to tackle it now, but I remember that thing being complex!!

Do you mean already built or a model that "it seems" to be difficult?

One that you bought, and was just too much to handle. Like I said, I got the Technique Impossible, took one look at the instructions and parts, and knew there was no way I was going to be able to build that.

@cobywan

Ahh, wood model ships. Didn't even think about those!

Technique Impossible...the name says it all, I guess.

For me, it's the Border Break Zebra 22. Still taking notes and planning how to go about painting up the weapons, filling in the seam lines, and masking the curved parts, a year after the purchase. Not exactly the simple snap-fit kit I imagined it was.

That Cutty Sark.... Yea, I agree, I built most of it, left it without sales or rigging. Then it eventually ended up in the trash (out of frustration)

But, the most difficult one for me is the one on the garage that hasn't been started. Hahaha

I've built dioramas with tanks and all. Even those tanks are not too difficult.

The Ome Oye Toys Banshee garage kit. While the cast was perfect, the intricate paint pattern, the three-layered construction and the tiny bits were almost killing me.

4700866599_19334f673f_b.jpg

Had one of those. Sold it so I didn't have to worry about those fiddly bits.

Italeri 1/48 F-14A Plus. It's un-glueable. (you know un-paintable plastic? Well, this was un-glueable). I am not the only one to report this issue with this kit. It just repels glue---it can and WILL just pop open what would normally be a very secure (and dried) seam. Never did finish it. I think it was specific sprues/trees that were affected---like they had a really weird batch of plastic or something that only went into some parts of the molds---because all the weapons were fine, but the main body parts just would NOT stay together.

Hasegawa's 1/350 scale Akagi.... I've three of the AA mounts and become scared stiff at the thought of all the etched brass, wooden decks and people... Oh, so many tiny little people!

I've been slowly building a 1/200 yamato, with all the same issues. Its fairly difficult... or maybe the word is time consuming. The toughest build I've ever completed is a High Planes Canberra bomber in 1/72. Low run injection plastic kit... it was a bear to build.

3q12.jpg

3q8.jpg

3q9.jpg

4B23.jpg

4B22.jpg

Italeri 1/48 F-14A Plus. It's un-glueable. (you know un-paintable plastic? Well, this was un-glueable). I am not the only one to report this issue with this kit. It just repels glue---it can and WILL just pop open what would normally be a very secure (and dried) seam. Never did finish it. I think it was specific sprues/trees that were affected---like they had a really weird batch of plastic or something that only went into some parts of the molds---because all the weapons were fine, but the main body parts just would NOT stay together.

You beat me to it with this kit, I had that same problem. I was lucky the Hobby Shop owner is a great guy & realized the kits weren't very good, so he sold me a Hasegawa 1/48 F-14D (VF-2) for 60% off, well worth it! (Pays to be a very long time customer) B))

I second Noyhauser's comment on the 1/200 Nichimo Yamato. The first pain, 1970's parts fit. The second pain, ABS plastic versus styrene. It takes tons of regular glue or ABS glue which is "hot" and far from healthy to use without ventilation. I built the bridge and now I'm trying to sell it. I even have all photo etch and GIANT brass barrels! - MT